The #BarrieWatch Thread [Arb Hearing 7/29]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
It's just frustrating that we intentionally let players walk or traded them to prevent situations like this, yet here we are. We have absolutely zero cap issues. Even at $6m AAV, he'll be below the MacK cap, we'll still have over $18m in cap space next summer, and we would have a 50+ point defenseman locked up. I get it, I get it... Newport are reincarnated devils, but suck it up and get a deal done. We're in a spot where almost every other team would gladly pay our guy what he's seeking, but we... you know, the non-playoff team... continuously snub our noses and think it's an overpayment. It just might be, but guess what? We're not good! We're not a desirable organization to play for! We don't win! We have an all-star, premier offensive defenseman under our nose, will be swimming in cap space, but we'd prefer to pinch pennies. Yeah, it makes a lot more sense to give Tyutins, Gelinas', and others $2m a year... damnit, I want to smash my head against a wall sometimes.

OK, but he's asking 6M for RFA years. Can the Avs really sign him long term for 6M AAV?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'd like someone to say either way what's happening. Isn't anyone awake in Toronto?

Yes, this just isn't news. Listened to the Fan 590 talk about Nylander's summer program for 20 minutes this morning. This isn't important to the Toronto media, though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Going through the hearing doesn't mean a long-term deal is for sure dead. Subban signed his deal afterwards. Now it is very likely that Barrie gets a 2 year ~5.25m per deal and is shipped out in 2018, but the long-term deal shouldn't be dead.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Short answer...

How do you figure he's asking 6M for RFA years, and won't be asking considerably more for UFA years.

I don't know obviously, but i believe very much that a 4 or 5 year deal at 6M would be agreed by now.

There is no way Sakic goes that high, IMO.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Weren't there people live tweeting outside the door of Subban's hearing? I get PK > Tyson and Montreal >>>> Colorado but Barrie isn't a small name and for the amount of yammering that's been going on all summer I'd think one person would at least tweet the hearing started. Maybe the Edmonton media will get around to it since he's practically an oiler anyway.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Maybe every one is just sitting at home because they actually came to an agreement weeks ago, but Sakic forgot to send it in to the league and we are all freaking out for nothing? :dunno:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Maybe every one is just sitting at home because they actually came to an agreement weeks ago, but Sakic forgot to send it in to the league and we are all freaking out for nothing? :dunno:

Yup, that is exactly what has happened.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

It makes sense, maybe it was Sherman's job and they forgot he is not there anymore.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Weren't there people live tweeting outside the door of Subban's hearing? I get PK > Tyson and Montreal >>>> Colorado but Barrie isn't a small name and for the amount of yammering that's been going on all summer I'd think one person would at least tweet the hearing started. Maybe the Edmonton media will get around to it since he's practically an oiler anyway.

Yeah id think they'd be all over it. Whatever im just so annoyed with all this. If there is an inkling of Ty wanting out they need to move him now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can't speak for the other arbitrated filed players, but in Barre's case, I honestly believe both sides couldn't come to a conclusion due to the amount of RFA years he has. If this was one or two left, I think one of the sides would have caved in, but since it's more than just a couple they can now start the rocky foundation from after the hearing.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
@TFrei 1m
Tyson Barrie arbitration hearing has started in Toronto. Elizabeth Neumeier presiding.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah both parties should have an idea of where the mediator is leaning after the meeting. Agreeing to 2 years at that amount the 3rd RFA year up 500k and 2 UFA years up 1m and 1.5m could be a basis of a deal.

So... something like 5.25 - 5.25 - 5.75 - 6.25 - 6.75

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's just frustrating that we intentionally let players walk or traded them to prevent situations like this, yet here we are. We have absolutely zero cap issues. Even at $6m AAV, he'll be below the MacK cap, we'll still have over $18m in cap space next summer, and we would have a 50+ point defenseman locked up. I get it, I get it... Newport are reincarnated devils, but suck it up and get a deal done. We're in a spot where almost every other team would gladly pay our guy what he's seeking, but we... you know, the non-playoff team... continuously snub our noses and think it's an overpayment. It just might be, but guess what? We're not good! We're not a desirable organization to play for! We don't win! We have an all-star, premier offensive defenseman under our nose, will be swimming in cap space, but we'd prefer to pinch pennies. Yeah, it makes a lot more sense to give Tyutins, Gelinas', and others $2m a year... damnit, I want to smash my head against a wall sometimes.

I know exactly how you feel. Granted, I figured we should have bit the bullet and signed ROR too, and now I like that trade for the most part...but this team is desperate for defense. This needs to be done, and if it means giving him extra Patrick Weircioch level money to get it done for ~5 years, I wish they'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad