The #BarrieWatch Thread [Arb Hearing 7/29]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Im down with 6x6 but Newport aint. It will come down to Barrie. He can easily say **** it I like Denver 6x6 is fair for both sides. It would totally suck to lose Stastny, ROR and then Barrie in a three year span I must say. Yah I understand its business but it still would suck to lose Barrie on top of losing the other 2.

People say this like we wouldn't get anything for Barrie, or as if we didn't get anything for ROR.

Personally I value what we got in trade way more than ROR on a 7M contract. You're looking at two, possibly three or four NHL players from that deal, and good ones at that.

We'd be up **** creek without that ROR trade IMO. Especially with how expensive young high potential defense has become, even more so now than when that trade was made.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
People say this like we wouldn't get anything for Barrie, or as if we didn't get anything for ROR.

Personally I value what we got in trade way more than ROR on a 7M contract. You're looking at two, possibly three or four NHL players from that deal, and good ones at that.

We'd be up **** creek without that ROR trade IMO. Especially with how expensive young high potential defense has become, even more so now than when that trade was made.

Im not saying we wouldnt get anything for Barrie. I think the package we get for Barrie would be even better than ROR's. I just want to keep our home grown. I get attached to the guys that we draft and bring up the pipeline thats all. I even said I understand the business side and that we did have to part with the previous two...still doesnt make it suck.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Still optimistic about that H3 prediction? :naughty:

:laugh:

I should post the scale:

H1 - Totally a figment of my imagination
H2 - Still a figment of my imagination, but technically possible
H3 - Done Deal In my head
H4 - Ink is drying In my head
H5 - Already faxed to the NHL In my head

So take it to the bank. :sarcasm:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
:laugh:

I should post the scale:

H1 - Totally a figment of my imagination
H2 - Still a figment of my imagination, but technically possible
H3 - Done Deal In my head
H4 - Ink is drying In my head
H5 - Already faxed to the NHL In my head

So take it to the bank. :sarcasm:

Have you been posting possible trade destinations for the past month to cover yourself in case it happens? If not you're still got a lot to learn about fake internet rumor mongering. :laugh:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Praying I take lunch tomorrow and see a long term deal signed before arbitration.

If arbitration happens I don't think Barrie sticks around past RFA. Which would totally suck.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Barrie at the Avs salaries numbers would have huge value. Hoping for a big win tomorrow. Rip Barrie a new one Sakic!

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Im down with 6x6 but Newport aint. It will come down to Barrie. He can easily say **** it I like Denver 6x6 is fair for both sides. It would totally suck to lose Stastny, ROR and then Barrie in a three year span I must say. Yah I understand its business but it still would suck to lose Barrie on top of losing the other 2.

Newport aint? How do you know that Sakic offered that kind of contract?

I doubt very much he has.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'm not really familiar with contract and salary cap rules. Could the Avs offer something like 6 years with a 5.75 AAV with the yearly break down being 4 million the first three years and 7.5 the last 3?

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
I'm not really familiar with contract and salary cap rules. Could the Avs offer something like 6 years with a 5.75 AAV with the yearly break down being 4 million the first three years and 7.5 the last 3?

no, afaik the value cant change by more than 25% per year, or something like that

its was done to stop the contracts that were like 10 mil 10 mil 10 mil then 3 years of 1 million after that

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
no, afaik the value cant change by more than 25% per year, or something like that

its was done to stop the contracts that were like 10 mil 10 mil 10 mil then 3 years of 1 million after that

Cannot change by more than 35%, and no year can be less than 50% of the highest. A staggered deal of $4M, $4M, $5.25M, $7M, $7M, $7.25M would work though.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Praying I take lunch tomorrow and see a long term deal signed before arbitration.

If arbitration happens I don't think Barrie sticks around past RFA. Which would totally suck.

I'd wager if arbitration happens, Barrie's not around for training camp. We know they've fielded offers in June...they could have 2-3 solid offers on the table right now.

Would be so funny if:

Barrie's agent "Listen Tyson, I know how they work...we went through this with Ryan. They'll come up with one last offer right before the hearing..."

Sakic "alright gentlemen...ready to go? The hearing is starting in 2 minutes".

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
7am MDT IIRC

Wow that's early. Are they actually in Denver or are they in NYC or something?

Yeah, I agree on ROR. We needed a guy like Zads more than anything. Without him, our future defense doesn't look so good.

But I think it's kind of the opposite with Barrie. We need Barrie more than he needs us. That wasn't the case with ROR.

Last edited:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I'd wager if arbitration happens, Barrie's not around for training camp. We know they've fielded offers in June...they could have 2-3 solid offers on the table right now.

Would be so funny if:

Barrie's agent "Listen Tyson, I know how they work...we went through this with Ryan. They'll come up with one last offer right before the hearing..."

Sakic "alright gentlemen...ready to go? The hearing is starting in 2 minutes".

If Sakic had an offer he liked he would have traded Barrie already, i'm not sure how arbitration changes that. Unless Barrie gets 6.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Wow that's early. Are they actually in Denver or are they in NYC or something?

Yeah, I agree on ROR. We needed a guy like Zads more than anything. Without him, our future defense doesn't look so good.

But I think it's kind of the opposite with Barrie. We need Barrie more than he needs us. That wasn't the case with ROR.

Toronto

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yes. They're in the hallway now, looking at each other, waiting to see if they can sign a last minute deal and avoid making T-Boobs cry.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Newport and the Avs settled a few minutes before ROR's scheduled arbitration hearing.

I would have bet money against the hearing actually happening, now I think it might and I think they actually let it go to the arbiter for a decision. It is incredibly rare for the arbitration hearing to occur these days, even rarer for a decision to be made by the arbiter.

By the way, the CBA states 48 hours and does not define in terms of "business days." It reads as if a decision has to be made within 48 whether that falls on a Saturday or Sunday.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Yes, I believe that will work

50.7 Variability Rules for Multi-Year SPCs.

(b) "The 100 Percent Rule" for Multi-Year SPCs. For any SPC that is not a Front-
Loaded SPC
, the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the first two League
Years of an SPC cannot exceed the amount of the lower of the two League Years.

The 35% rule applies to front loaded contracts

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

I see. Thank you for the information.

Cannot change by more than 35%, and no year can be less than 50% of the highest. A staggered deal of $4M, $4M, $5.25M, $7M, $7M, $7.25M would work though.

This would be ideal then. Making 7 in UFA years I think is more than fair, but I'm guessing his agency would want more in the first 2 RFA years after reading through this thread. Didn't realize it was Newport hockey. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad