The #BarrieWatch Thread [Arb Hearing 7/29]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

With painful consideration, RL and I have agreed that it is in the best interest of the board to try and corral all the Barrie related news and talk into one thread. Even if the trade situation is overblown we still have a long road ahead of us with possible arbitration before hopefully resulting in a long term contract solution. Please try to keep trade speculation here as well although I'm sure some will still end up in the proposals thread. Things may become difficult and emotional at times, let's just try our best to get through this together.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That news hurts a lot... Barrie is the core piece we can afford to lose the least. The worst part is, he's going to thrive wherever he ends up, so unless we get a phenomenal package for him this could be very, very bad for this team.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Either pay him what he wants or Newport will get it from somebody else.

The Avs need to learn that their internal price is not the market price of the player. The market price is whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay, because we are a crap team who have zero clout or pull to have guys sign for less.

Go on Tyson, get your money. You deserve it. This organization deserves another season, or multiple seasons, of being crap.

Who's next?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

The Avs need to learn that their internal price is not the market price of the player. The market price is whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay, because we are a crap team who have zero clout or pull to have guys sign for less.

Go on Tyson, get your money. You deserve it. This organization deserves another season, or multiple seasons, of being crap.

Who's next?

Its so damn frustrating. I guess in a few years we are gonna have to trade Rantanen and any other up and coming prospect because ya know Avs things. **** this ****in cost structure and pay the one guy on your back end who can make a 15 foot pass tape to tape.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I feel like 7M is too much for Barrie and if he is commanding that he should be traded. Anything under that long term you do it. Line must be drawn somewhere, and for me that is it. If he prices himself out, Avs are going to get good value back.

And for the love of god, if Barrie is resigned please try Barrie - EJ pairing. What is there to lose.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I really don't understand what Sakic and Co. are doing. It's better to pay over 5 mil for declining Iginla than retain your top defensive F with lots of offensive upside or best offensive d-man we have in many years.
I hope Sakic will re-think this and sign Barrie for a long-term contract.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
****in biull**** if we lose yet another homegrown. Three years in a row.

Depends what we get back in return...doesn't it?

Who's next?

Right, but when has Tyson Barrie ever been the best defenseman on this team? Has it happened? Was there a time when everyone agreed : Barrie should get the most minutes on this club because he is without a doubt the BEST d-man that this team has got and there is no question about that?

In my opinion, there may have been stretches but that has never consistently ever been true. Since that's the case, I'd be pretty hesitant to make him a guy who earns WAY more than $6M per year. I'd be willing to go up to $6.5M because of said 'market value' and that 'offence gets paid' but that would be my maximum for sure.

You can choose to have that attitude about it or you can try to see things for what they are:

- Paul Stastny wanted a 'raise' from his very generous $6.6M he was getting here. He goes on to sign for $7M with the Blues and is often found centering the 3rd line. Back to back years at 46 and 49 points for $7M is poor value, if you ask me. Only 10 points in 22 playoffs games so far with the Blues. I'd say we dodged a bullet because if WE had signed him for $7M, people would be freakin' out on that dude for that kind of production.

- RoR wanted out, that's very clear. He signs on for $7.5M and the Sabres are thrilled with what he brings. He just didn't want to earn that money here.That's fine, you can't force people to want to be here. The fun part starts 2 years from now when Jack Eichel comes out of entry level. What does he sign for? My guess is it won't be for less than that.

- For Barrie, I will reserve judgement until I see what happens with him and what they get for him. There are some interesting possibilities to improve the club by trading him and getting more value so until something happens one way or another, I'm not going to freak out or chastise the organization for something that hasn't happened yet.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'm excited to see what kind of return we can get for him but I see a pattern developing that is very concerning. How are you supposed to compete if you can't retain your best players?

Unless we're getting another contributing top 4 defenceman back our back end is going to be even more painful to watch next year. Trading Barrie will leave us with two legitimate NHL d man on the team one of which could barely stand up by the end of the season.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Depends what we get back in return...doesn't it?

Right, but when has Tyson Barrie ever been the best defenseman on this team? Has it happened? Was there a time when everyone agreed : Barrie should get the most minutes on this club because he is without a doubt the BEST d-man that this team has got and there is no question about that?

In my opinion, there may have been stretches but that has never consistently ever been true. Since that's the case, I'd be pretty hesitant to make him a guy who earns WAY more than $6M per year. I'd be willing to go up to $6.5M because of said 'market value' and that 'offence gets paid' but that would be my maximum for sure.

You can choose to have that attitude about it or you can try to see things for what they are:

- Paul Stastny wanted a 'raise' from his very generous $6.6M he was getting here. He goes on to sign for $7M with the Blues and is often found centering the 3rd line. Back to back years at 46 and 49 points for $7M is poor value, if you ask me. Only 10 points in 22 playoffs games so far with the Blues. I'd say we dodged a bullet because if WE had signed him for $7M, people would be freakin' out on that dude for that kind of production.

- RoR wanted out, that's very clear. He signs on for $7.5M and the Sabres are thrilled with what he brings. He just didn't want to earn that money here.That's fine, you can't force people to want to be here. The fun part starts 2 years from now when Jack Eichel comes out of entry level. What does he sign for? My guess is it won't be for less than that.

- For Barrie, I will reserve judgement until I see what happens with him and what they get for him. There are some interesting possibilities to improve the club by trading him and getting more value so until something happens one way or another, I'm not going to freak out or chastise the organization for something that hasn't happened yet.

If we keep Stastny and the line that had him with Landeskog and MacKinnon, a line that was dominating, i bet he gets more points than that. And i bet we would have "started on time" that season if we had kept the same top 6 that had worked so well the year before (the one we won the division, you know?).

And i'm sure he would have signed here for less than 7M, if Sakic had offered him a 4th year, and not let his best offer come at the 11th hour.

My guess is that Sakic never really valued Stastny all that much and was confortable "trading" him for Iginla while saving some money and also believing MacKinnon was ready to play center. Poor Sakic.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Its all about the points to money ratio though....anyway

This is going to be tough sledding. There are reasons to dislike most of the possible outcomes with this situation and if this goes on past the draft, it will make for a long summer.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Yeah, this team is going nowhere with Sakic and Roy at the helm.

Edit: I say this because I don't believe the return will be good enough to cover the loss. On the other hand it's only a rumor.

Last edited:

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
Totally agree with Bender on Stastny, ROR and Barrie situation. The salary structure annoyed a lot of people here but one day, when we won't have to get rid of half of our team because 4/5 players take 80% of the payroll, we will be very happy.

But I am not happy with the return for RoR so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad