Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I understand that everyone hates Wilner, but... what's wrong about what he says there? It's true. Replacing Morales with Ramirez would be dumb because they're both awful and neither deserves a spot on the team, particularly when some of the other guys get healthy.

If you think he's suggesting Morales deserves a spot on the team, then sure, it's dumb. But that's not how I read it.

well even the idea that we need to "replace" kendrys bugs me.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
wow. who the hell was the gm who did that? must be out of the league nowm

BenCherington.jpg

Reactions: phillipmike

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Donaldson’s not the only player responsible for the team’s defensive slippage. Troy Tulowitzki supercharged the Jays’ infield defence during that huge run in 2015 and 2016, ranking among the league leaders in most major defensive categories. But injuries knocked him out for more than half of last season, and all of 2018 to date. In his stead, the Jays have trotted out a group of players who’ve been considerably worse than Tulo was defensively.
Devon Travis has compounded the infield’s defensive woes. In addition to being one of the worst hitters in all of baseball this year, Travis also ranks an ugly 31st among MLB second basemen in Defensive Runs Saved.
Add up all of those infield setbacks and you get some jarring results:
Blue Jays Opponent Average on Ground Balls (MLB Rank)
2015 .229 (t-4th)
2016 .234 (5th)
2017 .251 (t-17th)
2018 .275 (29th)
There’s more. Kevin Pillar was a defensive dynamo in 2016, leading the majors by saving 21 more runs than the average centre-fielder. You’ll still see him make some occasional Superman catches two years later, but he’s been less valuable overall defensively in 2018, ranking as a mere +1 by Defensive Runs Saved, just 17th-best in MLB
Why Blue Jays' defence is slumping in 2018 - Sportsnet.ca

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
wow. who the hell was the gm who did that? must be out of the league nowm

A lot of good GMs make mistakes. The guy who ended two of the longest droughts in sports history might be sitting on 2 of the worst contracts in recent history in Heyward and Darvish.

The guy who replaced Cherington in Boston signed Cabrera and Victor Martinez when he was in Detroit to close to $50 million a year combined. Then guaranteed 217M to David Price. Key is to have your correct decisions outweigh your mistakes.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
A lot of good GMs make mistakes. The guy who ended two of the longest droughts in sports history might be sitting on 2 of the worst contracts in recent history in Heyward and Darvish.

The guy who replaced Cherington in Boston signed Cabrera and Victor Martinez when he was in Detroit to close to $50 million a year combined. Then guaranteed 217M to David Price. Key is to have your correct decisions outweigh your mistakes.

I'm pretty sure Zeke doesn't see that last example as a bad contract.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
For the Anthopolous haters. The guy dogedly pursued and did what he had to to sign what might become the best prospect Toronto has ever produced.

Blue Jays’ road to signing Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was long, twisting and expensive

"This doesn’t happen without Alex. You know how Alex is when he wants something. He just goes and goes and goes."

Then again, he was probably just trying to draw attention to himself. Such an obvious, "look at me" move. After all, Vladito had name brand recognition. :sarcasm:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I remember when Bobcat was on in the mornings on the Fan and he had Wilner call in now and then. It was painfully obvious he couldn't stand him. Comments or reactions from others on the Fan seem to indicate the dude isn't well-liked at all

Wilner always thinks he’s the smartest in the room. Why would you want to talk/debate with a guy like that? There’s a reason he handles the drunks in the after game call in shows.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I'm shocked teams aren't just giving him the Bonds treatment at this point. I guess having Biggio behind him provides a no win situation for opposing managers that have to pick their poison.

I would think too, with pitching prospects you want them to develop to be able to pitch to hitters like Vlad. IBB once in a while makes sense from a developing standpoint though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For the Anthopolous haters. The guy dogedly pursued and did what he had to to sign what might become the best prospect Toronto has ever produced.

Blue Jays’ road to signing Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was long, twisting and expensive

Then again, he was probably just trying to draw attention to himself. Such an obvious, "look at me" move. After all, Vladito had name brand recognition. :sarcasm:

nice of him to give Jose a chance to earn himself another contract, too.

just a good guy.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm shocked teams aren't just giving him the Bonds treatment at this point. I guess having Biggio behind him provides a no win situation for opposing managers that have to pick their poison.

In the Majors, in a critical situation, they probably would. In a nothing game in the minors where you want to see your pitching prospects challenged against good hitters for their development, in a low stakes situation there's probably less urgency.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
nice of him to give Jose a chance to earn himself another contract, too.

just a good guy.

He wasn't perfect (no exec is), but he had good qualities in terms of his creativity and aggressiveness, which at times, could also be his undoing.

His relationship with our players reminded me a little of Ujirri, where he sought them for opinions and made them feel like part of the process (like he did with Edwin in that article).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What to make of Teoscar Hernandez? He does not walk much, has power, does not hit for average, meh defensively. He started out hot but cooled off significantly since. What do you think he projects as down the road?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What to make of Teoscar Hernandez? He does not walk much, has power, does not hit for average, meh defensively. He started out hot but cooled off significantly since. What do you think he projects as down the road?

The guys from Fangraphs project him as a 50FV, so essentially an average everyday player (2WAR).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad