Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
For all the talk of Vlad Jr, Biggio, and Smith, it seems like no one is really talking about Jansen. He's continuing the amazing year he had last year, and he's 2-4 with 2 doubles so far today.

Edit: Make that 3 doubles now.

Mostly because Jansen keeps chugging. Biggio and Smith are doing stuff we didn't expect, and Vlad is A1, the creme de la creme.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Blue Jays star closer Roberto Osuna’s domestic issue is said by people familiar with the case to be serious and involve allegations of a physical nature, which would draw a significant ban; though, word is that he denies doing physical harm.

Osuna’s stay on paid administrative leave was extended a second time (through May 28 this time), as Canadian authorities continue to investigate. MLB has taken domestic cases very seriously in recent years, and even in cases where there was no physical abuse, such as those of Jeurys Famila and Steven Wright, MLB handed down suspensions of 15 games.

Where MLB ruled that something physical in nature did occur, much longer suspensions have been handed down.

The case has hampered the Jays, whose excellent bullpen was anchored by Osuna, but it could also end up hurting the pitcher financially; not only is any suspension unpaid, but if he is ultimately suspended more than 15 days, his free agency will be delayed a year until after 2021.

No specific details about the incident that resulted in Osuna’s arrest have come out, and there’s no indication yet even whether Canadian authorities are set on pursuing the case following his arrest (in all instances involving MLB players so far, the alleged victim ultimately decided against testifying against the player, compromising potential cases). However, early indications are that the accusations regard something that could draw a substantial penalty from baseball. MLB people haven’t seen any reports (or heard any word) to this point, as they and Osuna are awaiting the resolution to the case in Canada, which won’t necessarily move forward.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Mostly because Jansen keeps chugging. Biggio and Smith are doing stuff we didn't expect, and Vlad is A1, the creme de la creme.

Yeah, Jansen's just doing more of what he did last year in AAA so it isn't as novel as someone coming out of nowhere or the best prospect in the world stepping it up again at another level.

Jansen might be the best catching prospect in baseball right now. He belongs in the "future core player" category with Vlad and Bo more than he belongs in the "secondary piece" category. His skill set at the plate is ridiculous.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
All Im gonna say is Osuna is done and prepare mentally for him to be released. Unless his lawyer can get a plea deal and the MLB just suspends him 100 games, but if it goes to court, the allegations, if true, hes done like dinner.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
All Im gonna say is Osuna is done and prepare mentally for him to be released. Unless his lawyer can get a plea deal and the MLB just suspends him 100 games, but if it goes to court, the allegations, if true, hes done like dinner.
the jays won't release him. They will trade him.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

There is a chance police will decide they won't go forward with this. In a lot of cases like this the female chooses not to testify. Without that you might not have a good enough case. We'll see.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not sure if Osuna is done here (23 year old stud closers will get treated differently than your run of the mill reliever) but he can't hide when he comes back. This isn't the type of thing where he can do a "I'm sorry" press conference and everybody will carry on like nothing happened. He has to be sincere and apologetic in his words and actions over the rest of his career if he wants to gain back even a quarter of the respect he's lost from this.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I find it interesting that no sports reporter has stated the obvious when it comes to Osuna ... the teams record has fallen off the cliff since he’s been suspended.

It’s obvious why Sportnet wouldn’t touch that story but surprisingly the guys like Simmons, Cox and Feschuk haven’t touched the fact that the team has been terrible since he’s been out.

It’s probably got more to do with the entire pitching staff (minus Happ) being complete trash, and the first month their record being a bit of a mirage, but I’m sure the moral took a bit of a hit when the guys on the team finds out their best bullpen arm may be out for most of the year because he decided to get drunk and beat on his girl

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
There is a chance police will decide they won't go forward with this. In a lot of cases like this the female chooses not to testify. Without that you might not have a good enough case. We'll see.

If he did what is accused, i wouldnt ever support him again. mistake or not. If nothing comes of it, then its been dealt with. Im sure he'll get suspended though cause I believe someone here brought up Chapman getting a suspension although he wasnt even charged.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If he did what is accused, i wouldnt ever support him again. mistake or not. If nothing comes of it, then its been dealt with. Im sure he'll get suspended though cause I believe someone here brought up Chapman getting a suspension although he wasnt even charged.

I am not saying I support him. But yes, he will get suspended for sure. We won't see him anytime soon.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
It’s not up to police, it’s up to the Crown. Police must forward charges regardless of cooperation from the victim or not in cases of domestic violence. They can make recommendations but ultimately it is the Crown Counsel that makes the decision whether or not to approve the charge and proceed with the investigation and allow it to go to trial.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Shi put it nicely when critiquing the Jays.

This has not been a failure of expectations but a failure of assumptions.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Assuming the 2015 AL MVP will not be a below average hitter seems fair. Also, assuming four regulars will hit over .190 also seems fair. Moreover, assuming your closer will not get drunk and beat up a woman seems like a fair leap as well.

I like Shi, but I think he should have a coke and a smile, and the shut the **** up.

Reactions: supermann_98

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

This team is meeting expectations. We assumed they were either going to contend or fall apart based on the IFs going into the season.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Can somebody please explain Jeff Blair's math for me.

I listened to him on the way in to work this morning. On multiple occasions he said: "If the Jays play .500 the rest of the way they will win 84 games."

The Jays are currently 23-27. They have 112 games remaining. .500 the rest of the way is 56-56, which is 79 wins.

Is it possible Blair thinks the Jays are 27-23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad