Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Go See the Two-Seamer Before It’s Gone | FanGraphs Baseball

Interesting when evaluated in the context of Sanchez and Stroman, who have both dropped the usage of their Sinkers (or 2-seamers) down into the ~40% range (vs. each's respective peak year, 2016 and 2017, where their usage was high 50's-low 60's).

The Blue Jays are a confirmed adopter of the spin rate evolution, which is fine for veterans you're attempting to salvage (i.e. a Morton) or failed prospects you're attempting to get something out of (i.e. Deck McGuire). But foolishly tinkering with pitchers who have achieved bWAR's of 5+ is silly.

giphy.gif

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
"Startling decision"? He's been a sub-replacement player in three of the last four years. He's expensive, sure, but he's also terrible. They have to pay him regardless of whether or not he plays and he provides more on-field value by not playing.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
One has to wonder how much of an impact the Osuna situation has had on this team. I know we've had major issues with the rotation and the lineup as well, but it seems like everything has snowballed since then.

Reactions: supermann_98

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
"Startling decision"? He's been a sub-replacement player in three of the last four years. He's expensive, sure, but he's also terrible. They have to pay him regardless of whether or not he plays and he provides more on-field value by not playing.

Startling to some, I imagine, due to the hot start and fact that he was hitting 3rd for much of this season.

Shouldn't be surprising to people who have paid any attention to the lack of production.

I love the idea of identifying something as a sunk cost, and eating it, replacing said unproductive asset with something that can actually contribute. I wish the Blue Jays would do the same.

Reactions: Discoverer

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This probably has more to do with his 2019 vesting option he needs 497 PAs for his 22 mil option to kick in. He's already at 197 PAs so this probably ensures he won't hit that. I am sure if he goes down to AAA and is somewhat productive he will be called back up in 5-6 weeks when there's no chance of that option kicking in.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Hanley wont accept the assignment. He will be released and become a free agent.

Red Sox paid $88 million for 1.2 WAR production from Hanley. (3 out of 4 negative WAR seasons)
They also paid $95 million for -2.6 WAR from Panda. (All 3 seasons were negative WAR)

In 2018 the Red Sox are paying 53.57M for Hanley, Panda, Castillo and Craig to not be on their roster. Totaling -0.1 WAR from just Hanley.

Red Sox are roughly $50 million over the tax which is a little less than those aforementioned players. Because of that they will pay a 50% tax which is close to $25 million. The Red Sox will pay close to $75 million this season for no production which is more than the White Sox, A's and Rays' entire payroll.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Our boy Cavan made the top 5 list;

The Fringe Five: Baseball’s Most Compelling Fringe Prospects | FanGraphs Baseball

Cavan Biggio, 2B, Toronto (Profile)
Much of Cavan Biggio’s season thus far has been marked by an unprecedented display of power. With 12 home runs, the 23-year-old not only shares the Eastern League lead by that measure but has already surpassed the career total of homers with which he entered the season (in over 800 plate appearances).

Cavan Biggio’s past week-plus has been marked less by homers, however, and more by a different sort of true outcome, as the following video footage illustrates.

Those five walks are a product merely of Biggio’s last three games. Since last week’s edition of the Five, Biggio has recorded nine free passes in 30 plate appearances, recording walk and strikeout rates of 30.0% and 16.7%, respectively, during that interval. Walks themselves are not a great indicator of major-league success. In this particular case, though, it quite possibly represents an effort among Double-A pitchers to avoid Biggio’s barrel, as well as Biggio’s capacity to pass on pitches he can’t drive.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Mike Wilner is brutal is a clown. Has anyone noticed that he is never invited on TV? He is never with Tim and Sid, or Bob, or on Blue Jays Central. Nobody wants anything to do with him, yet he is still employed by Rogers somehow.

I remember when Bobcat was on in the mornings on the Fan and he had Wilner call in now and then. It was painfully obvious he couldn't stand him. Comments or reactions from others on the Fan seem to indicate the dude isn't well-liked at all

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Diamond Joe Quimby said:
But foolishly tinkering with pitchers who have achieved bWAR's of 5+ is silly.
the new philosophy in all things seems to be that change is automatically good, while conventional thinking is automatically bad regardless it's history of success or failure. After listening to the buzzwords Shanahan used to explain the kyle dubas hiring I think he is a devout believer, and I suspected Ross Atkins was as well so I'm not surprised to hear his team is trying to "change" players and help them "evolve". If I was Stroman or Sanchez I'd tell the higher ups to get bent.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I understand that everyone hates Wilner, but... what's wrong about what he says there? It's true. Replacing Morales with Ramirez would be dumb because they're both awful and neither deserves a spot on the team, particularly when some of the other guys get healthy.

If you think he's suggesting Morales deserves a spot on the team, then sure, it's dumb. But that's not how I read it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hanley wont accept the assignment. He will be released and become a free agent.

Red Sox paid $88 million for 1.2 WAR production from Hanley. (3 out of 4 negative WAR seasons)
They also paid $95 million for -2.6 WAR from Panda. (All 3 seasons were negative WAR)

In 2018 the Red Sox are paying 53.57M for Hanley, Panda, Castillo and Craig to not be on their roster. Totaling -0.1 WAR from just Hanley.

Red Sox are roughly $50 million over the tax which is a little less than those aforementioned players. Because of that they will pay a 50% tax which is close to $25 million. The Red Sox will pay close to $75 million this season for no production which is more than the White Sox, A's and Rays' entire payroll.

wow. who the hell was the gm who did that? must be out of the league nowm

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I understand that everyone hates Wilner, but... what's wrong about what he says there? It's true. Replacing Morales with Ramirez would be dumb because they're both awful and neither deserves a spot on the team, particularly when some of the other guys get healthy.

If you think he's suggesting Morales deserves a spot on the team, then sure, it's dumb. But that's not how I read it.

The part where he says Ramirez can't pitch like Kendry can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad