The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Not sure if that's directed at me, but if it is (and because I know other people have put words in my mouth tonight, which is incredibly annoying I might add) I feel the need to defend myself. I never once blamed Babcock for all this team's problems. Hell, I didn't even say Babcock was a bad coach. I just feel, as do others, he hasn't played certain people to their strengths. That's just my opinion, and one you're unlikely to move me from.

Saying that does not mean that Babcock has definitely made these guys suck, nor did I mean to imply that. I just want to see these kids given a proper chance before writing them off, and I feel Babcock has not. That and his tendency to piss off certain people, which may or may not be true (though evidence has led me to believe it is), are my biggest gripes with him. That is hardly blaming him for everything that's wrong with this team.

After a laundry list of issues that have been the hot topics for the past few years (Hudler, Filppula, Smith, not closing out series etc...) which have been the biggest issues the team has had, how else are people supposed to interpret that? I understand the coach is the easy target (just like the GM) and both sides (myself included) are overcompensating to try and prove their point.

Babcock has made a bunch of weird decisions which may have been detrimental to the team at times. I've always been more of the mind that the players control the outcome of the game more than the coach.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Agreed. Some change is needed, especially since I doubt Detroit changes the roster much this off-season.
So I have to assume those of you who feel this way think that our roster is better than a 1st round team? That we would have done more the last few years with a different coach?

Personally I look at our roster and I feel that Babcock is getting very near the max capacity out of it. Messages get stale but until the team is actually underperforming what reason is there to think the players aren't responding anymore?

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
Personally I'm just at the point where I'll be cool with it either way. If Babcock comes back, that's cool. If Blashill is coach I'll be happy to see what he can do here.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So I have to assume those of you who feel this way think that our roster is better than a 1st round team? That we would have done more the last few years with a different coach?

I think they had numerous opportunities to put a stranglehold on Tampa and didn't.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Agreed. Puck luck yo. And Mike Babcock lost yet another Game 7.

I'd put a lot of that on the guys who didn't show up enough. Z didn't have a goal, Datsyuk wasn't as Datsyuk as he could be. Tatar and Nyquist were no where to be seen. It's definitely concerning.

Brandel*

mrazek had 18th best sv% this season of all goalies who played as many or more minutes than him during the regular season. actually everyone ahead of him played more than mrazek.

mrazek didn't carry red wings during the regular season. of those 17 goalies ahead of mrazek, only 2 were on the same team. mrazek provided average goaltending.

carey price carried the habs. mrazek didn't carry red wings.

for nyquist there can be made an argument.

to be fair, im betting there is a huge variance in mrazek's game to game save percentage. he stole some games but he didnt carry the wings

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He's the best coach in the league but having the best doesn't always mean it's the best fit. After 10 years of the same and no real success in recent years, it's time for change. To be honest, even if Babs leaves, I don't think things will be much different as long as Holland is in charge. He will have even more power over decisions, since MB must have had more of a say than a rookie coach like Blash will.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Kukla's Korner ‏@kuklaskorner 5m5 minutes ago
Bill Watters on TSN radio says maybe Bettman calling the owners involved with Babcock, saying we don't want to raise the salary bar to $5M.

Michael Rosenberg ‏@Rosenberg_Mike 5m5 minutes ago
If Mike Babcock really wants to maximize his income and his chances of winning a Stanley Cup, he will coach four teams next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bill Watters on TSN radio says maybe Bettman calling the owners involved with Babcock, saying we don't want to raise the salary bar to $5M.

Well, that could have a big impact on this.

Also, let them do what they want with their money Bettman.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

While that sounds like a Bettman thing, I can't see Pegula listening if he's got his heart set on spending that much on Babcock.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yes, this team had the talent to get past the 1st round.
Winning against Tampa would have been overachieving. Tampa is vastly superior to us on a talent level. Switch Babcock and Cooper and you think we make it to 7 games even?

Basically it's not a fault of the coach that a team doesn't overachieve. And Babcock has pretty much gotten this team to overachieve simply by getting into the playoffs in 2013 and 14.

I think they had numerous opportunities to put a stranglehold on Tampa and didn't.
Coaching only goes so far. Babcock clearly had a very, very good gameplan for giving us a chance against Tampa. And we had a chance. But ultimately Tampa's skill came through. I don't know how you can look at that series and how much of an underdog we were and think it was a coaching problem that lead to us losing. Babcock is a great coach, can't expect miracles though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It is just time to move on. All coaches have shelf lives. It is just the nature of the occupation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad