The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Another perk to being Mike Babcock. Quality people want to work under and learn from him. Rookie coaches don't have the same cache. Replacing a coach isn't replacing one person. It tends to upset the apple cart. Normally coaches get fired and the apple cart isn't very good anyway but this is different. The franchise is going to lose a bunch of quality people. Their replacements will be chosen by a rookie.

They aren't losing a bunch of people. They are going to lose two assistant coaches.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
They aren't losing a bunch of people. They are going to lose two assistant coaches.

One of whom created one of if not the most potent powerplays in the league (despite sucking seasons prior), and the other of the two kept the PK in the top 10 of the league for 3/4 of the season. A "bunch" may not accurately capture these losses. "Significant" might.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
One of whom created one of if not the most potent powerplays in the league (despite sucking seasons prior), and the other of the two kept the PK in the top 10 of the league for 3/4 of the season. A "bunch" may not accurately capture these losses. "Significant" might.
They are definitely significant losses coming fresh off a season where special teams played a huge part in us being a good team.

Last edited:

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Depends on when his contract actually ended, if it is through June 30th, I would push for compensation if I was them.

I assume they can be owed that as it is in place to collect for assistants and other office personnel. So it should be on the table in my opinion, wonder if Custance just leaked something he shouldn't have. They could have waited for his one year deal to expire, but with it being out there for public consumption, I think the Wings are well within their rights to request that.

Only President's, GM's, and head coaches get compensation.
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/482326113964654593
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...r-teams-compensated-for-management-losses-too

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That is confusing since a big reason for this push from Detroit was Yzerman and Nill...

I mean they were vice presidents... So maybe they count. But if this is the case that is a lot less inclusive in terms of who garners returns than I thought. They also made a big deal out of losing McLellan and MacLean for nothing...

Okay they were hockey ops, you left that out in terms of the quick rundown, but I do see it once I clicked on the links.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah, right. There's very little chance of that.

Unless Toronto completes a total overhaul of the roster, I don't think making the playoffs is out of the question. This year was rather anomalous, their roster is really a bubble team. Babcock does good things with underwhelming rosters. Could be a dark horse wild card team.(I don't think they'll make the playoffs, but they could)

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
Unless Toronto completes a total overhaul of the roster, I don't think making the playoffs is out of the question. This year was rather anomalous, their roster is really a bubble team. Babcock does good things with underwhelming rosters. Could be a dark horse wild card team.(I don't think they'll make the playoffs, but they could)

yeah I dont think their last season was a good indicator, they clearly mailed it in. were they losing games on purpose? no, but were they giving 100% every night? no way

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Jim Hiller? 3rd round pick? Thats not going to happen. Maybe a Sixth or Seventh

Granato would be a 5th round pick. but it's not let Teams are asking for them so.. :dunno:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
yeah I dont think their last season was a good indicator, they clearly mailed it in. were they losing games on purpose? no, but were they giving 100% every night? no way

YYeah well Babcock is going to make sure most of them give 100% thats not named Kessel or Phanuef

So leaf fans better hope they gave 100% and just suck. Otherwise they wil be where Detroit is. Barely making the playoffs leaving the 1st/2nd round. Stuck in that loop until Babcock is gone

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Jim Hiller? 3rd round pick? Thats not going to happen. Maybe a Sixth or Seventh

Granato would be a 5th round pick. but it's not let Teams are asking for them so.. :dunno:

...That's not how it works. Assistant coaches get no compensation and the only compensation you can get is a 3rd rounder in the offseason or 2nd rounder during the season.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Montreal Boston (unless they retool) Even Florida and Detroit are better then Toronto. On paper and on the ice. same with NYI/NYR/wsh/CBJ heck maybe even philly.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
...That's not how it works. Assistant coaches get no compensation and the only compensation you can get is a 3rd rounder in the offseason or 2nd rounder during the season.

I just thought that Holland chose what was what. I didnt even know that we would get a 3rd for Babcock when he was leaving until Holland said it.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Do you think Holland came to the consensus that Ericsson was good enough to be on a top pairing? Or he just couldn't find the right deal in free agency to replace him? I'm not even convinced had we gotten Niskanen or Stralman that they would've played with Kronwall.

I don't see Ericsson as being good enough to be on a top pairing, and maybe Kenny should have been more aggressive than he was. It always looks a bit different in the rear view mirror though.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Here's how the draft compensation works:

• Only three positions that warrant compensation: president of hockey operations, general manager, head coach
  • The compensation for hiring any of those three (if they’re still under contract) is a third-round pick in the offseason or a second-round in-season
  • For the coach, his offseason begins when his current team's season ends. For a GM or president of hockey ops, the offseason begins only after the draft in June.

It's for the position in which you're hired, not from whence you came.

Actual Thought*

Yeah, right. There's very little chance of that.
Babcock doesn't miss the playoffs. This league is a watered down parity league. He will easily squeeze 15 more wins out of them. That much is a virtual certainty.

Actual Thought*

Montreal Boston (unless they retool) Even Florida and Detroit are better then Toronto. On paper and on the ice. same with NYI/NYR/wsh/CBJ heck maybe even philly.

Montreal Boston (unless they retool) Even Florida and Detroit were better then Toronto. On paper and on the ice. same with NYI/NYR/wsh/CBJ heck maybe even philly.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
never mind it was answered :)

watching the press conference with the Detroit Media, it is very obvious that Babcock truly respected and cherished his time with y'all, and I do wish you luck with Blashill (or whomever you hire) :)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Babcock doesn't miss the playoffs. This league is a watered down parity league. He will easily squeeze 15 more wins out of them. That much is a virtual certainty.

Right. A different coach would squeeze 15 more wins out of the same talent.

Maybe a couple, but 15? What talent upgrades did they get yesterday to help Babcock out? Did I miss them adding a couple of superstars?

And hey...there's a first time for everything, including Babcock missing the playoffs.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Montreal Boston (unless they retool) Even Florida and Detroit were better then Toronto. On paper and on the ice. same with NYI/NYR/wsh/CBJ heck maybe even philly.
There I fixed that for you.

Montreal is better then Toronto. Unless they hire some dumb coach. and messes everything up

Boston same thing. Toronto MIGHT do better then Florida. I dont see it though.

Detroit is miles ahead of Toronto. They still got Datsyuk and Zetterberg. 30 goal scorers (pretty much) in Nyquist and Tatar. They got a Mrazek/Howard tandem. I dont see both of them sucking. and our Dfence isnt THAT bad. just need a top 2.

Also. Babcock does miss the playoffs (see 2nd year of Anaheim :p)

Even so. If they do keep making the playoffs. It just helps us out. They are not a contending team with that roster no matter how you slice it and then its just haulting the rebuild. and Being where Detroit is now. Not passing round 1/2

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
New york is beating Tampa 3 to 1 right now.

I wonder if Tampa doesnt win a cup if Stamkos truly wants to go to that City called Toronto and play under Babs

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And hey...there's a first time for everything, including Babcock missing the playoffs.

It wouldn't even be the first time. Are we forgetting he took a 95 point Ducks and turned them into a 76 point Ducks the following year? I guess those 10 wins just slipped away from him somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad