The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
We lost Babcock and there aren't any options that are close to him for replacement. You got what you wished for. Buckle up. I think its gonna be a bumpy ride.

I never once saw Babcock take a shift for the Wings. Never once did he win a draw, make an outlet pass, set up a goal, deflect a shot, bang home a rebound or break up an odd-man rush.

Players play the game and decide outcomes. You show me a really talented team, I will show you a "great" coach.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't care if the players feel warm and fuzzy. Scotty Bowman wasn't beloved by players until they hoisted the cup. Players don't love Quenneville or Suter either. As a matter of fact I don't remember the last player's coach that won the cup. Players who play for each other win the cup. Players who play for their coach learn to golf better. Scotty created an atmosphere where the players rallied together against him. He didn't take them to nice dinners.

I've never heard of players not liking Quennville, Claude Julien, Dan Bylsma, Randy Carlyle or Peter Laviolette and that accounts for 6 of the last 9 Stanley Cup winners.

Being hated by your players isn't the only way to win.

I also think its too soon to label Blashill a players coach, from what I've read about him he's more approachable than Babcock but just as demanding.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I never once saw Babcock take a shift for the Wings. Never once did he win a draw, make an outlet pass, set up a goal, deflect a shot, bang home a rebound or break up an odd-man rush.

Players play the game and decide outcomes. You show me a really talented team, I will show you a "great" coach.

Yup. I echo this 100%. Wings don't have enough talent, so Babcock staying or going wasn't going to change anything. Only Holland can get the team to the next level.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I've never heard of players not liking Quennville, Claude Julien, Dan Bylsma, Randy Carlyle or Peter Laviolette and that accounts for 6 of the last 9 Stanley Cup winners.

Being hated by your players isn't the only way to win.

I also think its too soon to label Blashill a players coach, from what I've read about him he's more approachable than Babcock but just as demanding.

Didn't Toronto players hate Carlyle? Of course losing all the time kinda breeds that...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

And being more approachable than Babcock is like winning a participation award in little league. The only coaches I can think of, who I watched, who had equal reputations for being hard cases were Keenen, Bowman, and maybe Hitchcock.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

This is awesome. Obviously the money makes the decision a "no brainer" but the thing Babs said about feeling like a 25 year old and gunning for it is a great analogy and I think it explains why he is so great. Yes, this may seem like an easy decision due to the money, however it is going to be a challenge given Toronto's history and current situation. Guys with audacious goals and dreams embrace these challenges and I have no doubt in my mind he will get Toronto to at least one Cup Final and I wouldn't be shocked if he completely turns that franchise around.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
*****... why they let Hiller leave?

He was only signed for 1 year. Hiller can do whatever he wants. We already know the pay in Toronto is pretty good.

If Hiller can do a great job under Babcock there, he's all but assured a crack at an NHL head coaching job. It's really a smart move for him personally.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Babs is a great coach and I think Toronto can take benefit of having him on board. No coach is so good that he (or she) can turn water into wine, it's still they players on the ice that do the actual job, but Babcock can put together the pieces to a whole if the pieces have potential, which I think Torontos players and prospects have.

For the Wings part, a star defenseman is still needed with or without Babcock.

MisterY

May 7, 2010
Enigmatown
11295852_1058901304137238_1974827878958185344_n.jpg

Actual Thought*

*****... why they let Hiller leave?

Another perk to being Mike Babcock. Quality people want to work under and learn from him. Rookie coaches don't have the same cache. Replacing a coach isn't replacing one person. It tends to upset the apple cart. Normally coaches get fired and the apple cart isn't very good anyway but this is different. The franchise is going to lose a bunch of quality people. Their replacements will be chosen by a rookie.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Another perk to being Mike Babcock. Quality people want to work under and learn from him. Rookie coaches don't have the same cache. Replacing a coach isn't replacing one person. It tends to upset the apple cart. Normally coaches get fired and the apple cart isn't very good anyway but this is different. The franchise is going to lose a bunch of quality people. Their replacements will be chosen by a rookie.

Let the warm embrace of Toronto's third round pick soothe your pain.

Actual Thought*

Babcock will give Toronto the best game plan to maximize the potential of their players, but unless Toronto gets elite talent, it won't matter.

He will quickly restore structure, discipline, and accountability. The Leafs will make the playoffs this year probably at the expense of the Wings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He will quickly restore structure, discipline, and accountability. The Leafs will make the playoffs this year probably at the expense of the Wings.

This is fairly insane, when Babcock has no expectations of making the playoffs and is outright saying it will be a process, aka this team is bad...

The Leafs are nowhere near as good as the Red Wings, not close.

Babcock, Arbour and Bowman could all be on a super staff and that prediction isn't close to happening.

You know on top of the fact, we haven't even heard whether or not this changes Kessel or Phaneuf wanting out. Their best players don't even want to play there anymore, is Babs enough, I doubt it. You get set on fire by the media and fans alike for an entire year and this news probably changes almost nothing for them. The Leafs are with the Coyotes in the Matthews sweepstakes next year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A Leafs fan brought this up. Shouldn't Detroit get another 3rd rounder for Jim Hiller? Assuming he just signed, which is how it's being announced.

Depends on when his contract actually ended, if it is through June 30th, I would push for compensation if I was them.

I assume they can be owed that as it is in place to collect for assistants and other office personnel. So it should be on the table in my opinion, wonder if Custance just leaked something he shouldn't have. They could have waited for his one year deal to expire, but with it being out there for public consumption, I think the Wings are well within their rights to request that.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
A Leafs fan brought this up. Shouldn't Detroit get another 3rd rounder for Jim Hiller? Assuming he just signed, which is how it's being announced.

I think he needs to actually be hired for that to happen, it hasn't actually been announced just widely speculated, this scenario is pretty new I suspect the NHL will have to work some kinks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad