OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Electric cars, even if ran fully off coal power plants (which doesn't really happen in the US anymore) still produce about the same carbon as a car getting 30 mpg (natural gas almost doubles that)... and that carbon is contained at one plant vs hundreds or thousands of cars. Easier containment and gets smog out of cities.

Hyrdo is a pretty big environmental disaster. They should be avoided IMO. Not really the best answer to our energy needs. Wind and solar have their own problems (my company is basically built around finding environmental mitigation from those two), but their downsides are far less drastic.

China is trying to basically skip natural gas completely and hit full on with renewables. They are investing at a rate that many western countries only dream of. Now, sadly, a big part of that is they completely ignore the environmental downsides of renewables... but their carbon footprint per capita is going to drop significantly over the next 30 years.

This is a really handy guide to look at how efficient an electric car is based on the region it is driven.
New Data Show Electric Vehicles Continue to Get Cleaner

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Damn, Stephen Hawking is dead. That takes a big dump on my post-win buzz. One of the great minds of all time, I've always been a big fan.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
WHAT. Awh that killed my buzz completely. All things considered though he lived a hell of a life, lived far longer than anyone imagined he would and accomplished so much.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
WHAT. Awh that killed my buzz completely. All things considered though he lived a hell of a life, lived far longer than anyone imagined he would and accomplished so much.
Yeah, to be given two years to live in your 20s and go on to be the most celebrated scientist of the modern era and die at 76 is an epic middle finger to fate.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
arming-school-staff-teacher-ibrarian-on-twitter-the-jingoist-facebook-com-jingoish-31226523.png

This is amazing.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm like 80% sure that the laptop I purchased just a little over 2 years ago, for school (because my major actually has a laptop requirement, with specific minimum specs needing to be met) has just bit the dust.

I had brought it to school, used it fine on Monday, brought it home and forgot to plug it in until last night. I plugged it in and it wouldn't turn on. Ok, no big deal, I figured it just needs to charge overnight. I wake up this morning and it still won't turn on and now I'm very nervous. I spent a little over $1000 on that thing, again because my degree requires certain minimum specs to be met (in order to edit videos and whatnot).

For ease of use with the editing software I use, I'd love a MacBook Pro (despite my unenthusiastic nature towards Apple), but I can't afford that. I'm having trouble even being okay with replacing it for another $800-1000.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I can't stand laptops. They're made to break and have no replaceable parts. I'm one of those fossils who still uses a desktop and is happy about it.

Reactions: agentblack

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I can't stand laptops. They're made to break and have no replaceable parts. I'm one of those fossils who still uses a desktop and is happy about it.

No space for a desktop, and nigh impossible to effectively bring to school :laugh:

I get off work in about 5 minutes, have a quick errand to run and then I'm going to do some troubleshooting tonight, but I'm not optimistic about it. And because I'm in my final semester and will be required to edit videos for one of my classes (not to mention write papers for the other one), if it's dead then I'm going to have to bite the bullet--no matter how much I'll be pissed to do so.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I've had a Macbook since 2013, the same Macbook actually. Have had zero problems with it, the thing is indestructible.

I’ve had 2 MacBooks over the last ~7 years. The first one I had for like 5 years and dropped it and broke it but it was running perfectly fine. 0 issues with macs other than price really.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I’ve had my MacBook for probably 8-9 years. It’s still running ok - battery life sucks and it’s somewhat slow but I don’t do anything intense on it. It’s been by far my most reliable laptop I’ve ever had though.

Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I've seen it three times and it's simply put incredible IMO.

Did you like it?

I can't quite put into words how much it hit me. It's easily the best feature length anime that I've seen since going to a screening of Spirited Away over 15(!) years ago and a reminder of what the medium is capable of. It also nudged me into impulse-buying the awesome, unquestionably over-priced Limited Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad