OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m good at grilling, which isn’t exactly the hardest thing to do. But the prep work and all that I’m subpar at, but like Bubba said you gotta know your limitations.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That is one of the simpler things you can cook... throw the crap together in a dish, bake, throw some cheese on it, bake, throw some parsley on it, eat.

The best part of cauliflower is that is is pretty bland as a base, but is filling. Now hear me out! The bland is a good thing because whatever you season it with isn't hidden by any other flavors. You like garlic? It will taste like garlic. You like wing sauce? It is just a pure delivery mechanism for it. You like a rich soup with some salty bacon hints (and it doesn't take much to make it really bacony)? Make a cauliflower soup with a handful of hazelnuts and sprinkle with a tiny amount of bacon.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Can’t stand cauliflower. But broccoli is so good. My mom makes this oven roasted lemon broccoli that was just incredible.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Cauliflower (and broccoli) give me bad gas.

(as opposed to good gas?)

was-this-joke-really-worth-putting-a-log-in-your-toilet_o_2275953.jpg

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That is one of the simpler things you can cook... throw the crap together in a dish, bake, throw some cheese on it, bake, throw some parsley on it, eat.

The best part of cauliflower is that is is pretty bland as a base, but is filling. Now hear me out! The bland is a good thing because whatever you season it with isn't hidden by any other flavors. You like garlic? It will taste like garlic. You like wing sauce? It is just a pure delivery mechanism for it. You like a rich soup with some salty bacon hints (and it doesn't take much to make it really bacony)? Make a cauliflower soup with a handful of hazelnuts and sprinkle with a tiny amount of bacon.

You underestimate my cooking skills (or lack thereof)! :laugh:

I agree with cauliflower being bland. I've only ever had it steamed with my baked chicken and broccoli. Well, and then mashed cauliflower, which was better, but still had its distinct cauliflower taste to it. Again, I don't hate it, but it's not my favorite veggie to eat, but I can do it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Give some simple cauliflower wings a shot. They won't fool anybody by any stretch, but they are quite tasty. To the point where there are times I crave them over real buffalo wings...

One of the simpler ones I can find:

Buffalo Cauliflower Wings - Perfect For Game Day!

Of course you can make that unhealthy by frying and using a crapload of butter for the sauce, but if you can make some compromise... they postpone a craving.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Give some simple cauliflower wings a shot. They won't fool anybody by any stretch, but they are quite tasty. To the point where there are times I crave them over real buffalo wings...

One of the simpler ones I can find:

Buffalo Cauliflower Wings - Perfect For Game Day!

Of course you can make that unhealthy by frying and using a crapload of butter for the sauce, but if you can make some compromise... they postpone a craving.

Not a huge fan of buffalo wings (the sauce is just a little too spicy for me), but I'm sure a recipe like that can substitute the buffalo sauce for honey bbq--so I may have to try that.

Here's something funny. Last night I didn't know what I was going to do for dinner, and I was getting hungry. I was very tempted to go to Taco Bell and get a couple of steak soft tacos (because I do love that avocado ranch), but I decided to make tacos for myself instead. Figuring we had things like low-fat sour cream and shredded cheese already in the house, I went to the store and got Mrs. Dash taco seasoning, organic corn hard and soft shells, and 1lb of ground beef. Came home and started it all and got done only to discover we had no sour cream or shredded cheese...

So those tacos were bland as shit!

Reactions: agentblack

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Other things like onions, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, among others, I still don't like and can't even get two chews in before I start gagging. But I am eating healthier than I was before.

8 more pounds to go before reaching my next "benchmark", which was 250 (set back when I started this), and 38 more to go before my final goal of 220...actually, I'm still going to keep going, but that was just the goal my doctor set for me when I started this. I'm ****ing EXCITED guys.
Onions, that's odd... Well anyway, great job getting over the plateau.

Yeah, cauliflower and broccoli are effortless to cook in the oven. Some of those or even Brussels sprouts (I will admit those take more getting used to) with some salmon is a nice healthy meal already. Dry spices though, can only do so much. Then again, why don't you just drink the wing sauce if you're using it to flavor cauliflower of all things.
cheddar cauliflower soup. yum
Yeah, that sounds like it'd be alright.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I am the worst cook ever. I can sometimes handle instant pudding if I read the directions very, very carefully.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I am now accepting stupid costume ideas for a "7 Deadly Sins" student theme party. And no, the themed clothing isn't the stupidest part.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Onions, that's odd... Well anyway, great job getting over the plateau.

Yeah, cauliflower and broccoli are effortless to cook in the oven. Some of those or even Brussels sprouts (I will admit those take more getting used to) with some salmon is a nice healthy meal already. Dry spices though, can only do so much. Then again, why don't you just drink the wing sauce if you're using it to flavor cauliflower of all things.

Yeah, that sounds like it'd be alright.

Can't explain it really, Have just never liked onions, and I've tried recently with my taste buds developing towards broccoli and spinach (and somewhat towards cauliflower). And I still don't like them. Same thing with tomatoes. Have never liked them, have tried them recently and I still don't. I think it may just take some more tries, but it's hard when I gag every time a tomato is in my mouth (I don't necessarily gag w/ onions--I just don't like them).

As weird as it is--and it is weird--my ex fiancee's aunt still keeps in touch with me. The three of us were all following each other on our Apple Watch, with regard to the daily fitness and whatnot, and she sends me words of encouragement every time I complete a goal or close all 3 rings. The other day she just asked how things are going with my exercising and I told her the truth--that I had hit a wall, and was looking forward to getting past it. She told me the things she does when she hits her walls (as she trains for Ironman competitions w/ her boyfriend) and they were: get a cheat meal or two in, take a rest day or 2, change up the exercises (which you guys had already suggested), and there was one more but it's escaping me right now. So over the weekend I did have some cheat meals. Was supposed to just be one and the weekend sort of got away from me and it ended up being three, but I also took a rest day on Monday from the gym, and since then I've gone from 261 down to 258.

Now obviously I know I'm not at a stage in this journey where I can just start sneaking in things I used to eat, but I'm now much more comfortable in the idea that it's "okay" to have that cheat meal--so long as it's in moderation and I'm right back at the gym either the next day or that night if possible.

And believing that I'm over that first hurdle, it's just reinvigorated me. Hard to explain, but I feel way more ready to challenge myself when I arrive at my Y than I have in a little while (which, again, is weird because I've always shown up ready to put in the work and be drenched with sweat when I leave).

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I just saw a Wire gif........I just finished watching it for the first time yesterday. Wow, what a show! I even liked the last season a lot which doesn't seem to get the accolades. I don't watch much TV but when I do I try to watch the best....Breaking Bad, GoT, the Wire. Not sure how I'd rank those, but those are probably my top three. Going to try and finish Mad Men next.

Reactions: Murzu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad