Rumor: The Athletic, Thomas Drance- Teams are more engaged w. Canucks regarding OEL and Garland trades and not Myers and Miller

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
From an Islanders POV, I would be willing to give up Beauvillier, Bailey and any Islanders defense prospect(Salo being the most likely to get interest) for OEL and Garland, no retention on either side.

Garland might not be the most ideal choice for a top line winger who can put up points but he would help and OEL would make our defense one if not the best in the league

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Why would the Canucks want to trade Garland?

I’ve never understood that. He’s young and signed to a reasonable deal. Isn’t he exactly the kind of player that a young, up-and-coming team wants?
If they can trade him for a guy like Marino, a similarly aged/valued/cost defender, they’d be silly not to explore it.

That said, if they could move Miller in a similar deal and recoup more futures on top of it, that’s the trade to make.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I’ve never understood that. He’s young and signed to a reasonable deal. Isn’t he exactly the kind of player that a young, up-and-coming team wants?
The fanbase mostly does not but also recognizes that there might be some chemistry issues and we need both a defenseman around his age and lack size and strength.

It's been rumored that possibly with the Kuzmenko signing that Garland may become expendable if he hits as he may replace his lost production and the money could be used for that D or Kuz going forward.

We have a glut of wingers and have Miller in limbo and it's Vancouver where we simply dont have other big sports teams to talk about and are Canadian level obsessive about hockey so the media and radios are lit up with click bait tabloid crap on a daily basis

I do not want to move off Garland unless either we get that D we covet or it becomes necessary to sign Kuzmenko because he just had a fantastic season and looks like a reliable top6 and were squeezed for cap.

Even then hopefully we find better options i love his compete and he's incredibly fun to watch, skilled, competitive and a great contract

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Garland interest was always a thing, for GMs that value EV Production and "cap value".

The OEL thing is a bit surprising though. But then again...in a world where Ben Chiarot is a $4.75M Defenceman, maybe i wouldn't mind having an OEL at $2.5M more. From a Canucks standpoint...unless they've got some sort of a trade lined up for a guy like Provorov or Chychrun and want to clear that LHD spot...i'd rather just keep OEL. He's still a very good defenceman.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
OEL will age like fine wine.

After seeing these deals getting thrown around for Jones Werenski Sergachev etc im not that concerned about it at all. Nuck fans are still gun shy from Loui Eriksson and i get it and without PP1 it's never gonna look that great as he slows and plays more conservatively and doesn't have 40-50pts but make no mistake he's a fantastic #2 right now that makes precision plays skates well and has elite IQ and would be a devastating loss in the immediate future.

Caps about to rocket up and he wants to be here i would just chill and give him a chance to settle in. Would have had another 10-15pts last season if our forwards could deflect pucks or get to the net at even average level and he helped Myers have his best season in at least 4-5yrs

Agreed. Edler has still performed as a solid #4 at 35-36, OEL will be 35 when the deal ends. Guys like Burns & Suter are 37 now and still solid players. I think he'll be fine unless he runs into injuries (in which case he could run out his contract on LTIR). Worst case maybe the last year is horrific, but he should be a good player through 34.

Its intelligence that separates players like OEL from average D & gives them a longer shelf life, he's excellent at breaking up the rush & has great poise with the puck. As a UFA I think he'd get 6-6.5 easy on a 4 year deal, on a top PP unit he's atleast a 40 point player.

I don't think it makes alot of sense to move him right now, we're probably losing value in the deal & he's still a great player.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This thread is pretty funny when talking about OEL. Canuck fans are defending him yet are desperate to get rid of him. Other viewers who likely didn't watch much of him are coming in with weird takes like he's a #4-5.

As someone who is kind of objective and live in the City, I'd say he played like a #3D shutdown guy this past year. The problem? His analytical comps are like Adam Larsson and TJ Brodie, which puts his salary value around $4-5M AAV. He makes $7.26 for the next 5 years. His contract is easily one of the worst in the NHL. Vancouver would likely have to retain around the same amount SJ did to get rid of him - somewhere like 33% which brings him down to $5m x 5. Still not a great deal, given his poor possession metrics (which have steadily decreased every year over the past 4 seasons) as well as his minimal offensive input, but I think that's around what he'd get on the open market.

Can Vancouver afford to attach sweeteners and retain ~$2.4M over the next 5 years? Is that something they'd want to do? They'd still need to find someone who can take 20+ min a night for them on the 2nd pairing... likely going to cost atleast $4m, so how much are you really saving?

Garland can easily be traded, he's got positive value.
You can’t call OEL one of the worst contracts when your team pays Darnell Nurse 9.25 million for 8 years

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With OEL, it would depend on retention and what they take (money wise) in return. At least at this point. There’s not many team left that could take his salary now. Even discounted at 5 years. So they’d obviously have to take money back or retain. Or both.

Then what’s the return? If teams could fit him in, there’s likely a worth to it. Is it a dman who makes between $4-$5? Does that make it possible? Would seem most likely. But then how long is that players contract? It’s likely not 5 more years.

We’re at the point of doing things like this because teams with available cap are even running out these days. It’s going to become very costly if we’re down to 1-3 teams who could retain a nice portion, or hide a contract. The price is going to go way up.

So let’s say they can move him to a team who’s willing to give them a decent dman at $4 million for 3 years. They still probably have to pay something else, or retain a nice chunk… At that point is it worth it? Maybe not.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Agreed. Edler has still performed as a solid #4 at 35-36, OEL will be 35 when the deal ends. Guys like Burns & Suter are 37 now and still solid players. I think he'll be fine unless he runs into injuries (in which case he could run out his contract on LTIR). Worst case maybe the last year is horrific, but he should be a good player through 34.

Its intelligence that separates players like OEL from average D & gives them a longer shelf life, he's excellent at breaking up the rush & has great poise with the puck. As a UFA I think he'd get 6-6.5 easy on a 4 year deal, on a top PP unit he's atleast a 40 point player.

I don't think it makes alot of sense to move him right now, we're probably losing value in the deal & he's still a great player.

OEL is a very smooth skater whose effectiveness doesn’t overly rely on speed. Can be physical at times, but again his game doesn’t overly rely on physicality.

Those types of defensemen tend to age better then average.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
From an Islanders POV, I would be willing to give up Beauvillier, Bailey and any Islanders defense prospect(Salo being the most likely to get interest) for OEL and Garland, no retention on either side.

Garland might not be the most ideal choice for a top line winger who can put up points but he would help and OEL would make our defense one if not the best in the league

How do you imagine this works in any way for the Canucks, a team with enviable winger/forward depth and is very low on defensemen? As far as cap goes, we only seem to save under 4 million, which won't replace OEL's contributions to our D corps.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

I can't figure it out either. A lot of our fans seem to look at his height, draft position and his raw point total and dismiss him as an unnecessary luxury.

In reality, after Miller he was the biggest even strength play driver on our team this year, draws a ton of penalties, and consistently dragged the team into the fight. His contract is a steal.

If we gave him PP1 time he'd be a PPG player and perception of him would be wildly different but because 5 other players draw PP1 instead of him, our own fan base underrates the hell out of him let alone around the league.

Trading Miller at least makes sense because he won't extend here, but Garland is already signed for many years to come.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How do you imagine this works in any way for the Canucks, a team with enviable winger/forward depth and is very low on defensemen? As far as cap goes, we only seem to save under 4 million, which won't replace OEL's contributions to our D corps.

Fair enough. Exchange Garland with Boeser, I would remover Beauvillier and Salo and add Pulock. I might even accept a signed Miller.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So Boeser and OEL for Bailey and Pulock?

That's a much better fit, but what is Dobson looking at as a contract or cap hit?

Miller is definitely available, but his cost would be higher.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
So Boeser and OEL for Bailey and Pulock?

That's a much better fit, but what is Dobson looking at as a contract or cap hit?

Miller is definitely available, but his cost would be higher.

Dobson will likely be signing a bridge deal for 2-3 years 4-5 per. He is the Isles most untouchable player.

As for that trade I pass. Isles would need more if Pulock is involved.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Dobson will likely be signing a bridge deal for 2-3 years 4-5 per. He is the Isles most untouchable player.

As for that trade I pass. Isles would need more if Pulock is involved.
Fair enough, Dobson would be a hell of an add for us, but Bailey isn't someone we really need, and I figured he was mostly for cap considerations. Best of luck this year though.

Reactions: WangMustGo

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Fair enough, Dobson would be a hell of an add for us, but Bailey isn't someone we really need, and I figured he was mostly for cap considerations. Best of luck this year though.

He sure would be, i would not be surprised to see Dobson getting Norris votes over the next couple of years, his growth over the past couple of years has been phenomenal.

Would love to make a smaller deal around Garland, but unfortunately i dont think the isles have the pieces the Canucks want.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Vancouver is gonna get haul for Miller now after how UFA ended up for some needy winger teams, better cash in on it.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He sure would be, i would not be surprised to see Dobson getting Norris votes over the next couple of years, his growth over the past couple of years has been phenomenal.

Would love to make a smaller deal around Garland, but unfortunately i dont think the isles have the pieces the Canucks want.
I haven't been following his career as closely as an Islanders fan, but I've noticed. Guys well on his way to being a stellar defender, if he keeps it up.

I mean we are very much restricted to RHD as being the team need. Goalies and wingers and LHD are all full and then some, and even centers are well stocked until Miller is moved, probably looking like Miller-Pettersson-Horvat-Lazar/Dickinson unless an unforseen move is made.

Higher end futures would also be accepted, I'd think, in the form of a centerman or RHD, but something tells me NYI brass would probably be hard pressed to give anyone up from the prospect pool.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That's impossible. All I have read suggests Miller is needed by every team in the league and they will all fight with numerous 1st round picks and top prospects to have him.

think again…

Miller is older and will ask for too much/ too long. Teams aren’t giving up the ask.

Myers is crap

Garland is you ger so his contract takes him to 29/30 so teams are willing to take that at a long term fixed salary.

i don’t buy the interest in OEL unless Vancouver needs to retain or take high sakary back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad