Rumor: The Athletic, Thomas Drance- Teams are more engaged w. Canucks regarding OEL and Garland trades and not Myers and Miller

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Very interesting.

Garland was by far and away the best 5 on 5 player the Canucks had and is on a great deal. 4 more years at 4.95. 25 yrs old.

OEL is 7mil per with 5 years left. Was good as top pairing D for Canucks last season.
Previously he was only willing to waive for Vancouver and Boston.

Canuck fans absolutely love Garland and there are plenty that would like to see Boeser, Hoglander and even Miller traded before Garland.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Would love Garland still but not sure if the money works with Palat in the fold (hasn't been announced yet by the Devils, wonder if a snag hit or something).

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Oh, snap.

OEL's NMC is a hurdle though. Still a top flight Dman, PPQB and pretty good all around...we just have Hughes.

And I like Garland, quite frankly. Solid second line forward production, a suped up motor and great agitator.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I think Rutherford flat out said that they had no requests for teams to speak with Miller's camp and no offers for Miller. Not sure what's going on there.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think this makes sense as the basis for a trade. A lot of Pens fans would say Marino is worth more, though.

I dont think id be willing to add too much more with Garland to get Marino.

I think Garland himself especially with his contract should fetch a young RD whether thats Marino or someone else.

Would hate to lose Garland.. Endless motor and very elusive and creative.

Getting Kuzmenko softens the blow though if we lost Garland.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I think Rutherford flat out said that they had no requests for teams to speak with Miller's camp and no offers for Miller. Not sure what's going on there.
That reads like Rutherford refusing to let teams talk to Miller’s camp until after the trade is complete.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Miller had too good of a season. Teams aren't willing to pony up for the asking price for a guy at his age and inconsistent resume. Its unfortunate because trading him for a massive haul is kind of exactly what the Canucks needed to do at this point, but re-signing him to a reasonable contract would be great too.

Reactions: Ciao

md006

Jul 13, 2022
Make sense, a lot of teams would love to add a couple first-rounders in the next few drafts, which explains the interest in OEL...

For JT Miller there are few teams which can add his contract, and most are tanking thus more interested in adding first rounders OEL.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Pretty much as in, all the offers have been made or rejected and they are sitting still with their high price tag on Miller. They are probably waiting for interest to pick up with teams that were after Malkin, Kadri etc who missed out . Most recent report is they still have offers similar to 1st chytil lundqvist on the table, they just dont want it.

Just a game of chicken now to see who blinks first and not surprisingly teams are turning their attention on Garland in the meantime.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Would Boston have any interest in either?

ironically . Garland is from Mass and OEL was willing to waive to Boston before.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
If there is even a single team that had moderate interest in OEL, like really genuinely saw him as not a total and complete cap dump, I'm not lying to say he might be the cheapest attainable legit top 4 defenseman to acquire. His contract is not good, he will not age as well as we would like, but if some team thought "I'm only going to think about the next two years, have some cap space, and would like an immediate cheap solution to get better" OEL is your guy.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Would Boston have any interest in either?

ironically . Garland is from Mass and OEL was willing to waive to Boston before.
Bruins don't have the cap space. Don't need OEL; but Garland is certainly open for discussion, but see the first point.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It’s not surprising. Miller doesn’t have a lot of trade value if his extension is going to break the bank. Why trade much of anything for a guy you have to overpay to retain.

Would be better to call Vancouver near the deadline if you’re a contender and he’s the missing piece. And pay the rental price (which will be significant) at that time.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Garland for Carlo basis?
In a vacuum, I think that's a good spot to start.

But realistically, in order for that to happen:
Garland for Carlo
Bruins would need to find a replacement RD for Carlo, we aren't deep in that position, so may not make sense unless they acquire another RD in a different trade.

Cap, both Bruins and Canucks are trying to shed some cap, money would probably need to be even in order to make any deal work.

Again, not against this, but I feel like there are just too many dominoes that need to fall to realistically talk about that swap.

A deal around MAYBE Garland and Meyers (retained) for Carlo and Debrusk could work, if the money evens out the way they want. Probably adds on both sides to make people happy.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Garland for Carlo
Bruins would need to find a replacement RD for Carlo, we aren't deep in that position, so may not make sense unless they acquire another RD in a different trade.

Cap, both Bruins and Canucks are trying to shed some cap, money would probably need to be even in order to make any deal work.

Again, not against this, but I feel like there are just too many dominoes that need to fall to realistically talk about that swap.

A deal around MAYBE Garland and Meyers (retained) for Carlo and Debrusk could work, if the money evens out the way they want. Probably adds on both sides to make people happy.

Id certainly entertain the idea of Debrusk Carlo for Myers Garland with retention to make it even money.

Myers would be fantastic grab for Boston.

If it doesnt work out, Bergeron retires, Pastrnak traded etc then Myers can be flipped at next years deadline for easily a 2nd round pick maybe even a 1st as his contract would be expiring.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Garland for Carlo

Any interest in Schenn? He is a very good bottom pair D on a real good deal.

Garland+ Schenn for Carlo?

Not sure how the Bruins RD looks at the top. I just can't see the Canucks wanting to add $4 mill in DeBrusk to the forward group. I think pretty much all their moves from here on out will be to shift some $ and talent to D.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Any interest in Schenn? He is a very good bottom pair D on a real good deal.

Garland+ Schenn for Carlo?

Not sure how the Bruins RD looks at the top. I just can't see the Canucks wanting to add $4 mill in DeBrusk to the forward group. I think pretty much all their moves from here on out will be to shift some $ and talent to D.
Schenn, not so much... Like I said, there's lots of variables in order for them to seriously consider, and both teams need to shift out $$$.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I don’t believe anything anymore. Every report from Vancouver since the new management has been wrong. Like they throw stuff out there and then when it’s false they make something up lol
Rutherford is clearly playing games.

Which is fine, so long as it’s not blatantly obvious like this. Then you just look silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad