Rumor: The Athletic, Thomas Drance- Teams are more engaged w. Canucks regarding OEL and Garland trades and not Myers and Miller

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
OEL is 7mil per with 5 years left. Was good as top pairing D for Canucks last season.

200.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
No doubt the Miller offers simply aren't close to what Vancouver wanted, and compared to what this board wanted they're even further off.

Would be hilarious to see Vancouver trade Garland a year after taking on that awful OEL deal to get him :laugh: Sort of reminds me of Benning.

Reactions: McJedi

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
He was very solid m. He’s adjusted his game perfectly into a shutdown minute munching guy.
Is that why you guys are trying so hard to move him?

He is not a top pairing guy, nor did he play like one last year. No reason to sugar coat it.

No doubt the Miller offers simply aren't close to what Vancouver wanted, and compared to what this board wanted they're even further off.

Would be hilarious to see Vancouver trade Garland a year after taking on that awful OEL deal to get him :laugh: Sort of reminds me of Benning.
I for one am shocked that Sakic didn't offer Byram++ or Newhook+1st+Barron, weird eh?

• Love

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Trade Garland for what? What are you suggesting that’s laughable? Them trading Garland?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Is that why you guys are trying so hard to move him?

He is not a top pairing guy, nor did he play like one last year. No reason to sugar coat it.

I for one am shocked that Sakic didn't offer Byram++ or Newhook+1st+Barron, weird eh?
Because he makes too much money?…he played like a #3 shutdown guy very well last year. We have Hughes, Dermott and Rathbone on the left.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Because he makes too much money?…he played like a #3 shutdown guy very well last year. We have Hughes, Dermott and Rathbone on the left.
The post I quoted has you saying he was a good #1 pairing D.

A #3 shutdown player is not that. This is why hyperbole is so unnecessary.

His stats and analytics have him as a 4-5 who is trending down. He would be fine on someone's 2nd pair but not as the anchor.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
It would be nice if Canucks could improve defense and clear enough cap room to keep Miller (and Kuzmenko if he’s earned it). But it’s a dream and most teams wants to do a version of this, not just the Canucks.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well he had more ice time and points then any D but Hughes. Any other metric puts him as a number two guy, despite being forced into a shutdown role with Myers, and put up great numbers when taken out of that role when Hughes missed games. He was also Arizona's number one for years before coming here, and really outperformed anyone on the Leafs a full season not named Rielly in overall play...so he'd be a number two on the Leafs too.

It would be nice if Canucks could improve defense and clear enough cap room to keep Miller (and Kuzmenko if he’s earned it). But it’s a dream and most teams wants to do a version of this, not just the Canucks.
We have 22 million in cap space, and the most pressing free agents we have aside from Horvat, Miller and Kuz will be Hoglander and Schenn. Pre-emptively clearing Pearson, Dickinson and/or Poolman will give us enough to do anything, even if we do nothing else.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The post I quoted has you saying he was a good #1 pairing D.

A #3 shutdown player is not that. This is why hyperbole is so unnecessary.

His stats and analytics have him as a 4-5 who is trending down. He would be fine on someone's 2nd pair but not as the anchor.
I never once said he was a good #1 pairing D lmao. He’s a #3 on a cup contending team.

• Haha

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
really outperformed anyone on the Leafs a full season not named Rielly in overall play...so he'd be a number two on the Leafs too.

By what metric, exactly?

Justin Holl had better metrics @ 2m. A lot of D did.

I don't get why Canuck fans need to do this. Trying to hype up guys they are stoked to get off the team. No one wants to pay 7m x 5 for a 4-5 dman. Just let it be what it is. Selling him as "someone who was good as a top pairing guy last season" is just so obviously a lie or stretch.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I think if you clear out garland, pearson, Miller and OEL you sure could. But that’s a tall order and to also find dmen that raise that raise the bar on that group as part of that is asking a lot.

Feb 19, 2018
The pain of being a Canucks fan, such a rollercoaster of a ride. We gave up our first top 10 pick last year and a second this year, only to look to trade both a year later. It seems new management doesn’t have the balls to move out a big piece and are just going status quo other than a couple top 9 forwards added. I thought last year we had the best 4th line we have seen in about 10 years and they were all able to walk for a 4th round pick. Mikheyev is a redundant piece with our roster as we are loaded at forward, we should have saved the cap space and still traded a forward to reshape our Defence, Myers should be traded for a puck bag if the opportunity presents itself, same with OEL.

At this point I’d keep the core of Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin and Lekkerimakki and blow the rest up for picks and prospects.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
OEL with retention and sweetener. Sure teams would ask about that possibility.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
By what metric, exactly?

Justin Holl had better metrics @ 2m. A lot of D did.

I don't get why Canuck fans need to do this. Trying to hype up guys they are stoked to get off the team. No one wants to pay 7m x 5 for a 4-5 dman. Just let it be what it is. Selling him as "someone who was good as a top pairing guy last season" is just so obviously a lie or stretch.
Not according to Drance, but you keep living in your green skied world there, Muad.

He was our defacto number two guy. Ice time, points, hits, give aways versus take away, what more do you need? There is no argument to made otherwise. He was the top pairing guy in Arizona. Once again, no leg to stand on otherwise.

Holl did have more hits and blocks, as well as give aways (more than Rielly too), and yet isn't even respected by fans of his team. What does that tell you comparing Holl to Ekman-Larsson? They aren't comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad