The Athletic - 2018/19 NHL Farm system rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
My thoughts exactly. Pronman's list is one-man work, his opinion is as good as anyone's on the HFB. The fact Montreal's fans are trying to use this as some kind of proof how underrated their prospect pool is silly.
Also agree about Timmins, guy is a tool living off the incredible 2007 draft.
What's even funnier is those same Habs fans (or honestly, one very active fan) now resent his list and reasoning now that they weren't listed top 5.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Montreal gets #6 and the hot takes are flying all over the place.

"Pronman was overrating the Habs draft before they picked anybody" - isn't that kinda like the line in that song "Call Me Maybe?" Before you came into my life I missed you so bad

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Wow the Habs really do live in some peoples minds. Constantly thinking about them. Not talking about Habs fans either. Yikes.

That Sens fan is just mad the Habs drafted before the Sens this year and his team doesn’t have a 1st next year and will be relocated within the next decade.

Reactions: David Suzuki

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
What do you call someone that, for money, travels around the world and watches prospects play in order to appraise their abilities and project what they might become in the future?

Unless you are doing that for a Team or Scouting Service, you are a sports reporter that reports on prospects for a Sports media outlet or in a lot of cases now days, a glorified blog! Going to a few big events a year and watching a bunch of video doesn't constitute a hockey scout! Not saying his information is inaccurate or accurate, at the end of the day its one guys opinion but lets pump the breaks on calling some of these people on the internet "Scouts" It takes away from that Title of a lot of people that are actually, scouts!

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
That Sens fan is just mad the Habs drafted before the Sens this year and his team doesn’t have a 1st next year and will be relocated within the next decade.

Just because they don't have a first now doesn't mean they won't have one before the draft happens, IE, the Karlsson trade. And where is your evidence of Ottawa moving?!?!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Unless you are doing that for a Team or Scouting Service, you are a sports reporter that reports on prospects for a Sports media outlet or in a lot of cases now days, a glorified blog! Going to a few big events a year and watching a bunch of video doesn't constitute a hockey scout! Not saying his information is inaccurate or accurate, at the end of the day its one guys opinion but lets pump the breaks on calling some of these people on the internet "Scouts" It takes away from that Title of a lot of people that are actually, scouts!

Elite Prospects - Trevor Timmins Team Staff Profile

????

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I haven't seen this

What I have seen however is many salty non-Habs fans commenting on how one single persons opinion is worthless based almost entirely on the fact he's got them 6th.
Oh the infefiority complex, keep it coming :laugh:

That's one of the hottest takes I have ever seen on here. The opinion of the guy that's been writing about and scouting prospects as a full time job for years and years is just as good as the opinion of an HFBoard poster?

Who here has connections to the NHL scouting community? NHL front offices? Who here has multiple viewings of 250+ NHL prospects plus draft players?

I'm going to guess almost no one.

And most Habs fans think the team's prospect pool isn't top-6.
A lot of HFBoards users watch the Hlinka, U18 WJC and U20 WJC every year. That alone gives you an idea about a big number of prospects. In fact, another higly respected prospect writer Button seems to be making rankings almost exclusively based on international tournaments. People are really overrating how many games guys like Pronman or Button actually watch. They are not scouts, they are writers.

Reactions: Fvital92

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Some of my opinions on Montreal ranked at 6:

The first thing that really stood out to me after finishing the article is the Montreal had 20 prospects listed. Considering Pronman mentioned that Philadelphia had the deepest prospect pool, and they had 23 prospects listed, it's great to see Montreal finally have one of the deepest pools in the league with some high-end talent sprinkled in for once.

As predicted by most, Kotkaniemi is considered an elite talent by Pronman. I tend to agree with his opinions so far on who he's chosen to list as elite prospects (Borgstrom, Zadina, Kotkaniemi). I thought maybe Kaprizov would squeeze in that category too.

I thought Juulsen would go into the "very good NHL prospects" category along with Ylonen and Poehling, but upon reading his analysis I think it's understandable. Juulsen needs to prove more in terms of offensive production before being labelled a very good prospect. Although he is a lock for top 4, we have to remember that Pronman's rankings are based on their potential, and Juulsen, while having offensive skills, hasn't shown enough in the pro ranks to prove he has the talent to be as good an offensive producer in the NHL as he is being a defensive stalwart.

Ylonen ahead of Poehling is interesting, and it appears that is because Pronman sees the offensive upside in Ylonen that makes him a prospect with more potential, despite Poehling being all-around solid and on a quite clear path to the NHL.

Ikonen is being underrated by all fans, including Habs fans. It's not just Pronman who is pretty high on Ikonen, but Mitch Brown as well ranked him among the top Habs prospects. This season will be interesting to see if he can make up for his small frame and average skating.

Olofsson for all intents and purposes appears to have been a very nice pick by Montreal, as was McShane and Fonstad. Really eager to see how they develop.

All in all, Habs fans have a reason to be very excited for the future, as this prospect pool is finally very promising and deep, for once, in getting ranked (deservedly, in my opinion) top 6 in the NHL.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

For one, Timmins is Montreal's AGM and head of scouting. He is doing it for a team.

Pronman doesn't just go to a few big events for the year, he travel's pretty extensively and sees many NCAA and CHL games every year and even does legs of European leagues. He travels just as extensively as team affiliated scouts. He's been scouting and writing about NHL prospects for almost a decade.

Also, there isn't some sort of governing body or college for scouts. Hell, there isn't even any schooling for it. Lets not pretend the profession needs shedding the way an MD or JD/LLB needs to be.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

A lot of HFBoards users watch the Hlinka, U18 WJC and U20 WJC every year. That alone gives you an idea about a big number of prospects. In fact, another higly respected prospect writer Button seems to be making rankings almost exclusively based on international tournaments. People are really overrating how many games guys like Pronman or Button actually watch. They are not scouts, they are writers.

Pronman is pretty good at telling people where he travels during the year on twitter and other forms of media. He's not just at the big tournaments. Not even close.

This is without getting into the live scouting/video scouting debate that I have no real feelings one way or another on.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just admit it...you're conflicted that Corey Pronman is the one public persona who hasn't posted something to make the Montreal Canadiens organization look completely inept.

It's got you in your feelings.

I get it.

I don't put anymore stock into Pronman's ranking than I do another for the record.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've read that too, I just found Panges a little more telling as he's specifically called it a high ankle sprain. I wasnt meaning his entire playoffs was effected.

As for Thomas being reliant on others, sure it helps. But that's a 2 way street. Hamilton doesn't win without Thomas. From what I saw of the OHL playoffs and memorial cup, he was their offense.

And I'm not saying that he wasnt, he was definitely hamiltons best player in the playoffs. But youre also saying hes clearly ahead of other guys who are all their teams best players. I'm not saying he isnt a great prospect, but I'm wondering what makes you put him ahead of those other guys drafted ahead of him that also had great seasons?

Thomas could very well end up the best of that group, hes very good. But what has he done to separate himself from them and be clearly ahead?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
And I'm not saying that he wasnt, he was definitely hamiltons best player in the playoffs. But youre also saying hes clearly ahead of other guys who are all their teams best players. I'm not saying he isnt a great prospect, but I'm wondering what makes you put him ahead of those other guys drafted ahead of him that also had great seasons?

Thomas could very well end up the best of that group, hes very good. But what has he done to separate himself from them and be clearly ahead?
I should walk back better then Glass as I lumped him in with Rass and Poehling somewhat accidentally. As for MR, Thomas has better vision and skating. Poehling has had the 2c tag for awhile now, Thomas has more upside and skill. I havnt seen a single ranking that had them close outside of Habs fans.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I should walk back better then Glass as I lumped him in with Rass and Poehling somewhat accidentally. As for MR, Thomas has better vision and skating. Poehling has had the 2c tag for awhile now, Thomas has more upside and skill. I havnt seen a single ranking that had them close outside of Habs fans.

Ok and whats the reasoning for him being clearly ahead of Rasmussen?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Ok and whats the reasoning for him being clearly ahead of Rasmussen?
bolded.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
On the flip side, it isn't great because you happen to agree with it ;)

I find these types of lists to be disgusting not because they are or are not accurate but because they are utterly meaningless.
I mean... strong words to use for a farm team rankings list. If you're so grossed out by how meaningless Pronman's series is, why don't you stick to one of the more dignified threads? There's a Matthews vs. Malkin debate on the main board that you might find far more meaningful than this drivel.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Somehow missed that lol sorry...

I'm not sure hes a better skater than Rasmussen, neither are elite but both are very good skaters. Rasmussen finished top 5 at the top prospects game in the skating drills and looks fast for a big guy especially (Frost excels at CHL’s Top Prospects Sport Testing Combine – Soo Greyhounds). I would counter Thomas's vision advantage by saying that Rasmussen is a much better scorer and a much better puck protector. I wont argue Poehling, hes an NCAA guy and the worst of that gorup I think, but I dont think skating separates Rasmussen and Thomas. Its not like Thomas is a Forementon level skater, theyre both very good, not elite skaters.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad