Post-Game Talk: The Arrival of Freddy? | Leafs beat Caps 2-0

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What's not to like about Hainsey, better than I thought he was going to be. So many guys with oars in the water on this team, been a long time!!!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Removing Hainsey is a no no. Guy has been a rock.

Fehr will go in for Moore, Borgman in for Rosen, and McBackup will start.

It's hard to see how guys are going to develop chemistry if we're playing them one game in one game out, especially on the blueline

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tampa Bay’s elite and way better D is giving up about as many goals as the Leafs D. That’s with our goalie with an SV% under .900.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It's hard to see how guys are going to develop chemistry if we're playing them one game in one game out, especially on the blueline
I agree. Staple Moore in the press box and send Rosen to the Marlies.

Rielly was good, Nylander was good, Brown was Brown. Exciting game to watch, especially the first 10 mins.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know the guy has been a rock, that's not the point of what I was saying though. He's also 36 yrs old and is playing relatively big minutes each night. I don't see it as sustainable over a season+. These guys always struggle when they're overplayed like this later on in the season (see: Beuchemin on Colorado a couple years back as a very good example).

It doesn't help that the back-to-back is an away and home back to back with travel because Steve Hetze Petros is a piece of **** that doesn't care about making a proper schedule.

Hainsey hasn’t missed any significant time since 2012-13 (just 12 total games missed), and has played many back to backs in that time.

Sitting him “because he’s 36” doesn’t make sense, and removing Hainsey hurts the team

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Tomorrow we should really let our depth shine

Leivo in for Martin. And spread out the mins. To keep keep away from back to back fatigue.

I think Moore had a pretty decent game, strong on the puck and won battles

Great idea but Martin doesn’t play enough to need a game off. I’d like to see Leivo in for Marleau in B2Bs. Keep him fresh for the playoffs.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Hell of a defensive effort by our guys. Thoroughly happy with that win!

Props to Rielly and Andersen in particular. They were great for us tonight.

If Marner can get it going soon now, this team will be near unstoppable. Looking more and more like this team may not only win the division but the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: The List Of Jericho

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Tampa's issue is same as ours--so fast and skilled, but when they goof, they really goof. I watched 2 games so far, and Vasilevskiy stands on his head every game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Very good game by both teams.

I thought Rosen had one of his better games.
Rielly had 2 points, but thought he made some questionable decisions.

Had they lost, it still would have been one of their better games, and so they are making progress.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Solid. That's the word that best describes our play tonight, IMO. The effort they put together was enough to pull out a W and not an inch more than that. Aside from Washington's deadly effective PPs, there were only a few moments that had me cringing or worried. The game always felt under control, it felt as if the Leafs were the ones pushing the play, and the only reason they were kept to 1 (real) goal was the odd and sudden inability to hit the net (AKA Dion Phaneuf syndrome). Big props to the D core, including Rosén and Carrick who, for the second time this season (Chicago being the other), they went against a top team and did a solid job. Zaitsev is off to an unreal start obviously as well. I didn't think Andersen was truly tested tonight but there were a few saves where he was called upon and did his work. A well-deserved SO for him, and a good way to pull those stats back up to respectability.

Reactions: Pinto and mix1home

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
When this team gets going, and all lines are rolling. They look beastly. Like a well oiled offensive machine.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
As well I just thought of this, I think the reason Marner went to the 4th line not the 3rd is that the coaching staff want Marleau to develop chemistry with his line mates. That being said Kadri seems to be the only guy working hard on that line. I mean sure Komarov is fore checking but he never ends up with the puck. Marleau so far has been one and done, and when he forechecks he also rarely ends up with it. I know it is early, but I think after this week we will see things change. Firstly the center experiment should be over (Babcock kind of slipped post practice and said "we like what we see but not quite there yet, see how the week goes."), take that for what it is worth (literal or not)but I cannot see an "experiment/battle," go into november. That is simply too long. At some point you need to have your all the regulars, playing every single night. That is how chemistry really comes. The guys see tendencies and get a knack for where the other is, I think that may be part of our defensive problem. The other part in the same sense is the Rosen, Borgman competition. It has to end soon. These guys need to play every night to develop. I know our coaching staff knows that, but it has to end soon, and I think by the end of the week (or Monday) we will find out. As I also said before I think our management group has pulled a fast one here. I think they are auditioning Moore/Fehr, at the same time as they are choosing who they want. It is obvious they won't waive the "loser," it will be a trade (packaged with something or solo I dont know). It has been really good for us if that is the case because both have played well enough to get something. Again I feel something is going on, it is just very strange. What other team is doing this? Not just with Fehr/Moore, and not one but two defensemen. I do not think they are showcasing Rosen and Borgman, but then you never do know for sure. I would almost say trade Rosen if the pick Borgman, just because we have Dermott waiting in the wings. If it is Borgman they want to send down, definitely DO NOT trade him, we do not currently have a player like that (well Nielsen but he is kind of further off).

Reactions: Rogie

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Agreed....except for Rosen and Carrick. They were good in the first, slid in the second, and I think had 2 maybe 3 shifts in the third. In fact I had thought they were benched. As for not hitting the net, our D has been terrible at getting it through. Thank the lord, Rielly got one through (more of a hard pass) and Brown banged it home. But so many times this year, Gardiner, Hainsey, Rielly, Zaitsev (not so much Zaits) miss the net with the point shot, and in some cases so bad it gets out of the zone. Our PP again stunk (our PP percent is high still from first couple games 28.6 for 5th after tonight). I do not get the logic of sending the Bozak unit out first either. They just broke up Marner and them, and we get our first PP finally (refs were missing so many infractions against the Caps it was disgusting), and what happens, the Bozak line with Kadri at the point comes out. We briskly lose the faceoff out it goes, and never really get a good chance (only one, the JVR tap in that he froze on). Something has to happen with our PP unit. I said before the game the passing is too slow, not opening up lanes for the cross seam, or cross crease pass, and if there isnt one shoot damn it. Then Gardiner again, I have no clue what is up with him since NJ but boy he is fighting it. Long up passes going for icing, cant keep the puck in when Willie lays it for him ever so gently, rolls off his stick. I love Jake, but lately he is having a tough go. I would like to see Zaitsev personally replace Jake on the second unit. He has been real good so far, good stick, keeps it in 50n5, and just looks like he has the confidence. I think Jake has lost it a bit. Anyway enough ranting, we won, tomorrow will be a tough one. Detroit is much like NJ only not so many young guns, but they are fast as heck, and with Zetterberg, Mantha and Frk on the PP watch out. They actually outplayed Tampa most of the first 2 periods. Vasilevskiy stood on his head, he made several monster saves, or Detroit would of smoked them big time. Hope our boys are ready.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Marner had the best Corsi tonight 70.6%, Brown was last 40.9%

Good to see that. I thought Marner was much better with the puck tonight. Not trying to make those 'dipsy-do' plays (for the most part). Thought the best part of his game was he worked hard all game, and it showed. Hopefully this helps build his confidence moving forward.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Strange soild, but also sloppy game.
Didn't know what we would get with the Caps.

Great for the defensive confidence and now a back to back.
Caps trying to use their weight, lots of hits, lots of pushing to the ice.
Freddy wasn't tested greatly, OV shot wide a lot.

Reactions: Rielly Good

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Had they lost, it still would have been one of their better games, and so they are making progress.

Pretty solid team effort - and every one chipped in different ways

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Great team effort. Brown with the goal and Freddy with the shutout :thumbu:

Given it's October and Halloween is coming up, thought I would whip a little something up to celebrate.
ZYhBVZI.jpg

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

One bad play by Rielly and you say some questionable decision. He was rock solid and blocked a lot of shots and was money in our our D zone all night long.

Rosen was easily our worse D over playing the puck time after time.

Overall our D played very well with lots of support from our forwards, Bozak played his best game away from the puck in a long time, he played scared and lets hope he keeps it up.

Brown was good, Nylander played well aside from a head cramp in our zone late in 3rd. Naz was our best forward over all tonight as his play away from the puck was exceptional. Marleau turned the puck over far to many times tonight.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
One bad play by Rielly and you say some questionable decision. He was rock solid and blocked a lot of shots and was money in our our D zone all night long.

Rosen was easily our worse D over playing the puck time after time.

Overall our D played very well with lots of support from our forwards, Bozak played his best game away from the puck in a long time, he played scared and lets hope he keeps it up.

Brown was good, Nylander played well aside from a head cramp in our zone late in 3rd. Naz was our best forward over all tonight as his play away from the puck was exceptional. Marleau turned the puck over far to many times tonight.

- Definitely it was best the game game by Bozak at least in this season
- Brown overall was good and scored a game winning goal
- You might not like this but it was not the best game either by Nylander or Matthews, Nylander's skating, offensive entry, and Possession game is off the charts but he had few chances tonight that he missed tonight and that give away was pretty bad (that could changed the game)
- Naz was not getting any support from his line mates but still managed to create offense all night long and was brilliant with his defensive effort and neutralizing Caps forwards and on that SH goal made a nifty that killed any chance of a come back for the Capitals with six skaters on ice
- Marleau looked pretty lost and was not involved at all
- Reilly except for one play was pretty solid
- Ziatsev is getting better with every game, was very efficient along with Hainsey in killing penalties and logged team high in ice time

Overall a solid team effort on both sides of the ice

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Just finished watching, nice that Andersen got the shutout I was wishing for halfway through the game last night.

First line, Zaitsev and Rielly were really good.

And it looked to me as if Marner will stay on the 4th line for a while. Looked good there at times but still too many easy errors and especially because Bozak and JvR looked much more involved into the game without Marner doing all the work for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad