Post-Game Talk: The Arrival of Freddy? | Leafs beat Caps 2-0

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hainsey is EXACTLY what was advertised. Steady, smart, quiet. He's not going to blow you away with the flashiness of a Gardiner or the big hit of a Borgman but you need a guy like that to keep it calm.
Well if that big top 4 D is not available, perhaps we can acquire another Ron Hainsey type as we move along. The D version of Boyle we traded for last year. Not sure who fits that bill, I'm still holding out that Arizona decides to move Hjalmarsson for a good price (if they tank it out).

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Kadri entered beast mode in the 3rd, he's becoming an elite two way player before our eyes.

Freddy didn't stand out but he was solid and made the saves he needed to.

Morgan showed while Jake might be more consistent, if he reaches his peak he's a bona fide number one.

Zaitsev continues his excellent work.

Brown shines in a much deserved promotion.

Eventually I want to see;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
(I see the value Hyman brings, but yes, the 3rd guy on that line should eventually be a guy who Willy and Auston actively avoid passing to)
Komarov-Kadri-Kapanen
(You're tripping if you think any of the kids are ready to replace Leo's excellent defensive and agitating game while still chipping in 25-35 points, 3x3)
Brown-UFA/trade-Marner
(A guy like Boone Jenner or Nick Bjugstad would be ideal, a big body who can score, play two ways and be had cheaply, but maybe again he comes internally?)
Martin-Gauthier-UFA/Marlie
(I noticed the 4th line played a lot more and had some pop with Mitch on it, but I just want them to be able to play a hard, responsible 10 minutes a night...were stuck with Martin until at least the end of next year but even he showed well with Mitch as his wingman)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kadri played well tonight. That move on Ovi at the end was great.
The only thing I've noticed so far is that he isn't playing with an edge. Someone needs to **** him off a little. Same for Leo. Has Marleau been a calming influence? They need to get fiesty.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Tomorrow we should really let our depth shine

Leivo in for Martin. And spread out the mins. To keep keep away from back to back fatigue.

I think Moore had a pretty decent game, strong on the puck and won battles

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Do people understand why criticizing our D for the goals given up by Andersen sounds ridiculous now?

The D gave up very little on ES. Andersen probably got the easiest shutout of his career.

Toughest save Andersen made was in the third when Nylander uncharacteristically turned it over.

You have it ass backwards. Andersen getting a shutout when the defence finally plays well should tell you the opposite of what you're thinking. Not that I think Andersen has been really good, but it's not ridiculous at all to criticize the defence for the goals going in.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Well if that big top 4 D is not available, perhaps we can acquire another Ron Hainsey type as we move along. The D version of Boyle we traded for last year. Not sure who fits that bill, I'm still holding out that Arizona decides to move Hjalmarsson for a good price (if they tank it out).
I agreed with a couple of San Jose posters today on

3rd + Bracco + Marincin
For
Braun(30 years old, good contract, good shutdown defenseman)

This deal would really help this team a ton.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Big win for the Leafs.
Well Mess what's your take based on the previous line discussion?
Pretend you're the coach. Do you leave things as is currently? Hard to change things up after a 2-0 win.
Brown and Marner stay where they are for now?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Babcock praising both Brown and Marner after the game.....and with good reason.

Brown gets the GWG and Marner leads all players in 5v5 Corsi.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Hammer is one of the most underrated D-men in the league. We'd be so fortunate to nab him for a good price.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
This guy gets it with Andersen. He's not going to stop 92 % of the shots he can't see from the shooter all the way into the net.
Give him clear looks at the shots and if he lets those in, dump on him all you want.
Until tonight, he had been screened terribly.

Isn't that the case for every goalie? Andersen has had issues fighting through screens to see the puck

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Shocking we were able to win that, and giving up 0 goals against... turnovers in the third period were out of control. And it was everyone, D and forwards. Both teams really seemed to struggle getting a handle on the puck, so many missed grade A chances.

Despite a ton of mistakes I loved the battle from the entire roster, sometimes just getting in the way made a big difference.

If they can clean up the execution with that battle/effort level I see many wins coming our way.

Thought Kadri had a tough night with the puck, was nice to see him get that one at the end.

We're 5-1-0!! Wooooooo What a start to the season.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The Hainsey-Zaitsev first unit PK looks so solid. We're going to need one more strong pairing for the second unit. I wouldn't be too comfortable with either our remaining D there. I can probably live with Rielly there if I had to choose but I don't see a good partner for him there unless you double up Hainsey or Zaitsev.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
What? Jake's biggest weakness historically has been his inconsistency. Are you sure you're talking about the same guy?

The brainfarts are still there with Jake, though lower in frequency, I was more speaking to that in a typical game, Jake will tend to pass the eye test better and is undoubtedly a better offensive defenseman (Rielly still shoots the puck worse than a peewee player).

Jake would get shredded over 82 given Morgan's usage, but no need to derail the thread, 5 and 1!

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
man babs played zaitsev and hainsey like dogs in that 3rd to hold the lead, rielly and jake a lot too

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Do people understand why criticizing our D for the goals given up by Andersen sounds ridiculous now?

The D gave up very little on ES. Andersen probably got the easiest shutout of his career.

Toughest save Andersen made was in the third when Nylander uncharacteristically turned it over.

One game, one shutout... the D needs improvement if we want to be elite contenders.... Andersen was good tonight, and the D was pretty decent as well.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hainsey is EXACTLY what was advertised. Steady, smart, quiet. He's not going to blow you away with the flashiness of a Gardiner or the big hit of a Borgman but you need a guy like that to keep it calm.

I love Hainsey. I haven’t noticed him at all. Very dependable D. Much more steady than Hunwick/Polak who were all over the place.

He’s always been a good top four D though so it makes sense he’s good.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hainsey is the guy that should be rotated out on a back-to-back considering his age, let Rosen string a few games together and put Borgman in, rest Hainsey. But this isn't soccer and NHL coaches don't really believe in player rotation till they've secured a playoff spot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hainsey is the guy that should be rotated out on a back-to-back considering his age, let Rosen string a few games together and put Borgman in, rest Hainsey. But this isn't soccer and NHL coaches don't really believe in player rotation till they've secured a playoff spot.

Removing Hainsey is a no no. Guy has been a rock.

Fehr will go in for Moore, Borgman in for Rosen, and McBackup will start.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Removing Hainsey is a no no. Guy has been a rock.

Fehr will go in for Moore, Borgman in for Rosen, and McBackup will start.

I know the guy has been a rock, that's not the point of what I was saying though. He's also 36 yrs old and is playing relatively big minutes each night. I don't see it as sustainable over a season+. These guys always struggle when they're overplayed like this later on in the season (see: Beuchemin on Colorado a couple years back as a very good example).

It doesn't help that the back-to-back is an away and home back to back with travel because Steve Hetze Petros is a piece of shit that doesn't care about making a proper schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad