OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Before I left on this latest trip, I was giving Super Mega Baseball a whirl and had a blast.

I recommend it especially if you are familiar with some of the old school arcade style baseball games from yesteryear.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Currenly new to Fallout 4. Simply beautiful. I really love RGPs and loot-heavy games. So this one hits right in the spot.

Might have to get back into Hearthstone. I went away for some time, considering to heavily invest my gold and dust to buy some proper decks.

Other than that, I play SMITE. Anybody else here? :laugh:
I tried Smite. Seemed pretty good but my MOBA heart and soul belong eternally to DOTA 2. Which I'm going to play right now

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
So..

After many dark mother****ing years, it looks like NHL-19 will offer online customization! (Helllllooooo Dangling Sniper + Sniping PF + Real playmaking Dmen)!

I don’t think it’s confirmed yet, but it sounds like Frostbite engine is in full tact here based on everything I’ve read.

If you’re unfamiliar with the frostbite engine, research the difference with Fifa. Improved player movement, reaction, and control. Graphics. Depth. And overall gameplay.

Outdoor rink looks pretty ****ing badass too!

If you’re unfamiliar with Nhl-19, here’s some delicious info: NHL 19 New Features - EA SPORTS Official Site

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
So..

After many dark mother****ing years, it looks like NHL-19 will offer online customization! (Helllllooooo Dangling Sniper + Sniping PF + Real playmaking Dmen)!

I don’t think it’s confirmed yet, but it sounds like Frostbite engine is in full tact here based on everything I’ve read.

If you’re unfamiliar with the frostbite engine, research the difference with Fifa. Improved player movement, reaction, and control. Graphics. Depth. And overall gameplay.

Outdoor rink looks pretty ****ing badass too!

If you’re unfamiliar with Nhl-19, here’s some delicious info: NHL 19 New Features - EA SPORTS Official Site

It kind of lacks any useful info... what'll happen with Be a pro? Will it get any kind of features? or will it be the same boring grind? What'll happen with Franchise? Will they update scouting? Will the ASG be in it? Will the trade deadline be an actual event? What about the draft?

Every year the team throws out a game and tacks on a gimmick to try and suck people in. Last year it was Threes. This year looks like outdoor hockey.

Until there is confirmed info on core game modes (not the cashcow that is HUT), I'll remain skeptical.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I only ever play EASHL with the same guys for as long as I can remember. Every year we say we won’t buy it until they bring back custom builds. (We buy it anyway cause we are suckers)

Really hoping this is true. FIFA is light years ahead.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Aside from when i bought nhl 15 for 3 bucks in late 2017 i havent touched that crap series since 2013.

We all know the deal. They ripped away tons of features to start the new gen so they could re-implement them slowly for years and advertise like it's all new. The dev team is smaller, they have a tiny window to work with. Plus, thx to DLC and add ons, EA realized they can put minimal effort in and still rake in cash so they handicapped the dev team even more. Why pay devs when you can get tons of cash for doing nothing?

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It kind of lacks any useful info... what'll happen with Be a pro? Will it get any kind of features? or will it be the same boring grind? What'll happen with Franchise? Will they update scouting? Will the ASG be in it? Will the trade deadline be an actual event? What about the draft?

Every year the team throws out a game and tacks on a gimmick to try and suck people in. Last year it was Threes. This year looks like outdoor hockey.

Until there is confirmed info on core game modes (not the cashcow that is HUT), I'll remain skeptical.
Not sure - I have a group of friends I've been playing online with for years that gave me the info. I personally only play EASHL, haven't touched the game offline for years.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I only ever play EASHL with the same guys for as long as I can remember. Every year we say we won’t buy it until they bring back custom builds. (We buy it anyway cause we are suckers)

Really hoping this is true. FIFA is light years ahead.
Right there with you. My buddies and I all say the same thing, but our love for Hockey brings us right back to it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Aside from when i bought nhl 15 for 3 bucks in late 2017 i havent touched that crap series since 2013.

We all know the deal. They ripped away tons of features to start the new gen so they could re-implement them slowly for years and advertise like it's all new. The dev team is smaller, they have a tiny window to work with. Plus, thx to DLC and add ons, EA realized they can put minimal effort in and still rake in cash so they hansicapped the dev team even more. Why pay devs when you can get tons of cash for doing nothing?

It's downright embarrassing when you compare NHL to a game like FIFA. It's like, we're the red headed step child. The fact that every single person I've spoken to feels the same says a lot about the game.

I think 2019 will be different though, and I think it's going to be due to the frostbite engine, as well as the customization aspect which should have never been stripped from the game.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The custom builds were the best part about EASHL, so I really hope that's true. It always feels like they're randomly nerfing different classes in 18 where some games you'll be going ridiculously slower compared to your competition.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Honestly not trying to start a console war issue

At this point in the lifecycle, which console would you get today?

I have the original XB1, I've been heavily entrenched in the XBL system for a long time, but it still seems that the PS4 has more games aside from the AAA titles which are almost all dual platform the days.

I'm also not crazy on switching the controllers.

So honestly, not flaming anyone. I'm sure both consoles are fine in many ways, but which would you chose now?

Thanks!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

I have the original XB1, I've been heavily entrenched in the XBL system for a long time, but it still seems that the PS4 has more games aside from the AAA titles which are almost all dual platform the days.

So honestly, not flaming anyone. I'm sure both consoles are fine in many ways, but which would you chose now?

Thanks!
I'm a PC guy, but if I had to buy a console from this generation, it would be the Nintendo Switch.

...PS4 over XB1. Games/franchises and hardware is better, and the controller is not bad.

Last edited:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Thanks!
I would go PS4. I am very pleased with their controllers honestly. And just have had much more longevity with the Sony stuff than MIcrosoft. You have to pay both for XBL or PS+ so that's a wash.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I would go PS4. I am very pleased with their controllers honestly. And just have had much more longevity with the Sony stuff than MIcrosoft. You have to pay both for XBL or PS+ so that's a wash.

Is the performance of the top end PS4 equivalent to the new X?

Also, how is the PSN? It wasn’t great years ago when it was free.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Is the performance of the top end PS4 equivalent to the new X?

Also, how is the PSN? It wasn’t great years ago when it was free.
PSN is fine. Stays online, party chat is good quality.

I think the performances are close to the same if not already. It's so tiny now anyway if it were different, I don't notice.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I’ve always been a PS fan, personally. My brother is an Xbox fan. We both played a good amount of games on both systems and just like everything, there are pros + cons.

I despise the Xbox controller. If I can kill that oddly shaped thing with my mind, it would be dead right now.

PSN sucks balls though. My buddies and I are always getting NAT errors. You can only have 8 ppl in a Party which I think is ridiculous.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

Thanks!
PS4

There is no "loyalty" involved, I'm just used to it and don't have the time/patience to learn new controls

I won't be advocating for which is better, but I am satisfied

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

Thanks!
Ps4 and not really close for me.I only bought an xbox for Killer Instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad