OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Just picked up an open-box ASUS RX 580 8GB for ~$230. Amazing price considering the GPU market nowadays. And it doesn't matter that it's open-box because I have all the cables and whatnot that I need already.

Excited for the upgrade over my GTX 760.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Just picked up an open-box ASUS RX 580 8GB for ~$230. Amazing price considering the GPU market nowadays. And it doesn't matter that it's open-box because I have all the cables and whatnot that I need already.

Excited for the upgrade over my GTX 760.
Been going strong with a 970 for 3.5 years. Not excited for the day I upgrade...

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Been going strong with a 970 for 3.5 years. Not excited for the day I upgrade...

I upgraded to a 970 right around the same time, but it's really sad and unbelievable how f***ed up the GPU market is right now. I was looking at building a second computer a few months ago and the GPU would have been 1/3-1/2 of the price of all other components sans monitor. Idiotic.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
RAM/GPU market has been steadily falling for a month or so. GPUs are almost back at MSRP.

Nvidia cards should see a decent drop in prices once the 11 series gets announced this year.

RAM will likewise follow suit with GPU prices, depending on how the silicon market goes.

Thank goodness that I live close to a MicroCenter.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
RAM/GPU market has been steadily falling for a month or so. GPUs are almost back at MSRP.

Nvidia cards should see a decent drop in prices once the 11 series gets announced this year.

RAM will likewise follow suit with GPU prices, depending on how the silicon market goes.

Thank goodness that I live close to a MicroCenter.
Have you found microcenter to be cheaper than Newegg/Amazon/whatever? I've been dragged a few times, but it never seemed worthwhile compared to shopping online?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Have you found microcenter to be cheaper than Newegg/Amazon/whatever? I've been dragged a few times, but it never seemed worthwhile compared to shopping online?
The in-store deals are usually better. Especially if you're doing CPU/Mobo. Or like the RX 580 I got yesterday. Regularly sells new nowadays for $299+tax. I got an open box deal for a mostly new card in-store for $239+tax. Full warranty and everything and was able to register it with ASUS.

Microcenter in-store deals are

d96.jpg

But yeah, if you don't have one near you, or even a Fry's, then Amazon/Newegg/etc. are going to be roughly the same pricing.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I upgraded to a 970 right around the same time, but it's really sad and unbelievable how ****ed up the GPU market is right now. I was looking at building a second computer a few months ago and the GPU would have been 1/3-1/2 of the price of all other components sans monitor. Idiotic.

You don’t want to be a 11 year old crypto currency mining tycoon?

Reactions: PlamsUnlimited

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Now I just need to upgrade my monitor to something that is from the past 5 years. Maybe something with HDMI :P Having a second monitor would be A+

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Now I just need to upgrade my monitor to something that is from the past 5 years. Maybe something with HDMI :P Having a second monitor would be A+
Displayport / DVI so you can get a 144hz monitor. High refresh rate > resolution. High refresh rate is a much more immersive experience than 60 fps or less. I play Rainbow Six Siege and it feels like I'm there. I got lucky and bought a 1080Ti before the crypto craze. I got it at the microcenter in Brooklyn.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Displayport / DVI so you can get a 144hz monitor. High refresh rate > resolution. High refresh rate is a much more immersive experience than 60 fps or less. I play Rainbow Six Siege and it feels like I'm there. I got lucky and bought a 1080Ti before the crypto craze. I got it at the microcenter in Brooklyn.
I'm not too concerned about hitting 144Hz, so the difference between HDMI/DVI doesn't mean much to me.

That being said, I was targeting Displayport anyway.

My current monitor is an old Dell 2405FPW, so I don't even have HDMI, let alone Displayport haha

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
I'm not too concerned about hitting 144Hz, so the difference between HDMI/DVI doesn't mean much to me.

That being said, I was targeting Displayport anyway.

My current monitor is an old Dell 2405FPW, so I don't even have HDMI, let alone Displayport haha
I have two ASUS VG248QE that are great, but they are 144hz, so you may want to look for something with an IPS panel or 1440p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad