OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
What's wrong with the battle system?!
It's action button mashing BS instead of random turn based fights. I didn't watch long enough to look, but is there even enemy skill materia? Enemy skills like white wind and big guard are iconic parts of the game. Stealing items and learning eskills during turn based battles is an essential part of the original game. Also f*** stagger, stupid mechanic all of these games use now.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It's action button mashing BS instead of random turn based fights. I didn't watch long enough to look, but is there even enemy skill materia? Enemy skills like white wind and big guard are iconic parts of the game. Stealing items and learning eskills during turn based battles is an essential part of the original game. Also f*** stagger, stupid mechanic all of these games use now.
Adapt or die my friend, lol. Are you still using a Blackberry?

In all seriousness, if the game was turn based it just wouldn't work right. There is enemy skill. You can also steal and use assess to look at enemies weakness and info.

The game is a 10/10. It annoyed me that we had to wait this long from the remake, but it's an absolute masterpiece.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Adapt or die my friend, lol. Are you still using a Blackberry?

In all seriousness, if the game was turn based it just wouldn't work right. There is enemy skill. You can also steal and use assess to look at enemies weakness and info.

The game is a 10/10. It annoyed me that we had to wait this long from the remake, but it's an absolute masterpiece.
The original was turn based, how would it not work right lol? If you mean the current battle system wouldn't work of course not it was built around active combat. Just add the original system with all the bells and whistles of the updated game and it would work completely fine. Just two different flavors of play style.

It's not about adapting for me I just don't like games with this type of combat and its why I have passed on classic game series like Kingdom Hearts. You can't force yourself to like the way a game plays, some people loathe turn-based and I totally understand that too. If they made FF7 a full chocobo racing game I wouldn't play that either because I hate racing games.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The original was turn based, how would it not work right lol? If you mean the current battle system wouldn't work of course not it was built around active combat. Just add the original system with all the bells and whistles of the updated game and it would work completely fine. Just two different flavors of play style.

It's not about adapting for me I just don't like games with this type of combat and its why I have passed on classic game series like Kingdom Hearts. You can't force yourself to like the way a game plays, some people loathe turn-based and I totally understand that too. If they made FF7 a full chocobo racing game I wouldn't play that either because I hate racing games.
If the Remake was turn based I straight up wouldn't play it. That's prehistoric shit right there that would bore me to death.

Imagine running around the beautiful world and running into an enemy and then having that ancient, slow, outdated battle system. You're no longer moving your character or diving/evading/parrying attacks. You're just sitting there, clicking on a menu and pressing X.

If that's what you're into, then yeah, this game would drive you crazy. I'm just honestly shocked to see someone prefer a turn based battle system over an action based system most games have now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

If you wanted something that is pure turn based then yeah, its not going to work for you which is totally fine but its not just mindless button mashing either. I've wiped more about half way (maybe a touch more than half way) into this game than I did in pretty much all of my OG FF7 play throughs combined aside from my first attempts at Emerald and Ruby weapon. This is legitimately a significantly tougher game where strategy and preparation matters even more than the OG.

Having the proper materia set up is really, really, really important to actually getting through a bunch of the fights. Stealing and learning enemy skills still exist in these games too (including white wind! which has been renamed soothing breath.)

Reactions: Kupo

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Turn based was created due to technical limitations. I'm sure if they had the technology in 1987 Sakaguchi would have used action/real-time combat back then too.

Although Remake still has a menu based system, so its not fully action like FF16 for example. Once you build up ATB you cast spells, use items, or special moves from a menu.

But yeah you need to dodge , block, and do regular attacks in real time.

I haven't tried it but they have a mode for people who don't do action IIRC i don't know how good it is.

Reactions: Kupo

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
There’s a learning curve.

I’ve gotten decent enough where I can get through almost everything. The summons in the combat sim though are f***ing tougghhh
And they knew it so they allow scrubs like us to weaken them first lol .

I tried fighting the second summon as soon as it became available and it wiped the floor with me

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Let me start off by saying I'm with you- I love turn based and would have plopped down the funds for FF7 Re if it were turn based, but I'm not interested in another action game even if the battle system is good. Just not my speed.

However you and I are in the great minority here. The entire young generation, their target audience as they are the trend-setting social media vocalizing crowd, would complain how unrealistic turn based is, how it takes them out of the realism of the game (no imagination necessary anymore) and how turn based was only done due to game limitations (even though those games still are being made). Even most older folks would prefer an action oriented battle system despite the original being turn based, so I understand why they went the route they did. It's just the direction all RPGs and games in general are heading. I was hoping they'd give a turn based option but I think it would be too complicated to make two different battle systems.

Also I loved the old school world maps, with your character traversing what felt like a ginormous world, even if they were a bit oversized/nonproportional. It made the world feel so large and the towns real. Gamers nowadays would laugh at that, like a game with dragons and magic is realistic, but an oversized character avatar for world map traveling, now that's just ridiculous.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
if FF7 Rebirth doesn't win GOTY something is either wrong or we're waiting on an all timer to drop at some point over the next few months.

Far from a perfect game (hell, there were 2 chapters in a 14 chapter game that I did not like at all and another one i didn't really care for) but the total package was overwhelming excellent.

Theory crafters are going to have 1000000x more fun with this game than they did with the last one. I won't spoil anything for those who are still working their way through but.... a looooooot of shit goes down at the end of this one.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Been playing a lot of Pacific Drive lately - really cool survival-ish horror-ish game where you scavenge materials to upgrade a base as well as a station wagon you drive around. Writing has been interesting, I initially hated one of the characters but they did a great job with pacing/character development and the voice acting to convey emotion. Sound design in this game is incredible and really adds a sense of dread to situations. Very liminal space-y.

Also, Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor has been an incredibly fun bite-sized Vampire Survivors clone. Great for a quick 30m-1h downtime session. Does get a little stale pretty quick because there's not a ton to the game in the way of upgrades/unlocks/achievements, but I only play in small spurts so it's still really entertaining. Plus it's getting some updates soon with a new biome and enemies so that will help keep it fresh for a while.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rebirth is what I was afraid it would be. Too much crap jammed in. It doesn't respect my time. LOL.

Really though it's like a movie that's awesome but is also 3 hours. You're like, man, this movie is great! But it also could have been 2 hours and 15 minutes!

For someone like me who only plays a handful of hours per week it's too much, with all the stupid mini games and whatnot. I mean it is objectively a great game, but it's too much for me.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Rebirth is what I was afraid it would be. Too much crap jammed in. It doesn't respect my time. LOL.

Really though it's like a movie that's awesome but is also 3 hours. You're like, man, this movie is great! But it also could have been 2 hours and 15 minutes!

For someone like me who only plays a handful of hours per week it's too much, with all the stupid mini games and whatnot. I mean it is objectively a great game, but it's too much for me.
I'm about 12 hours in. I don't bother with 80% of the side quests, and don't bother with any of the quests from the nerdy kid. I'm f***ing loving the game though!

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm about 12 hours in. I don't bother with 80% of the side quests, and don't bother with any of the quests from the nerdy kid. I'm f***ing loving the game though!
That's how I'd do it. Plot centric stuff, sure, relationship building shit, definitely (that part sounds sick TIFA ALL THE WAY lmao), anything else and I can check it out on youtube or leave it for replays.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My problem is I am and always have been a completionist. When you're a completionist with not a ton of time to play, and then you're confronted with a game like this with a billion pointless tasks and mini games, it's just too daunting.

Remake was better for me because it was generally linear but also because other than that stupid dress shit you could basically get everything and platinum the game within two direct playthroughs. I understand that's the same here for the most part but there's SO much more to do.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My problem is I am and always have been a completionist. When you're a completionist with not a ton of time to play, and then you're confronted with a game like this with a billion pointless tasks and mini games, it's just too daunting.

Remake was better for me because it was generally linear but also because other than that stupid dress shit you could basically get everything and platinum the game within two direct playthroughs. I understand that's the same here for the most part but there's SO much more to do.

I am also a completionist.

I quit trying to be one 6 chapters in. I will go back and do things I missed in time.

Skipping over most stuff will require you to either be amazing at combat or to play on a lower difficulty. Some of the bosses are incredibly unforgiving.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
PSP is the greatest console of all time
It was pretty amazing. I had one of the original phat PSP-1000s which ran custom firmware, so I had all the old emulators on there as well as a bunch of the original PSX catalog. And since that thing was hacked wide open you could completely customize every aspect of it. It was so f***ing great. There were also some really great original PSP games, especially if you like RPGs.

I still have the system. The battery is completely dead but it works running on the AC adapter. Unfortunately in a fit of stupidity I used the MicroSD card I had in there for my daughter's toy camera. Lost everything I had including a Castlevania SOTN perfect save that even had a maxed out Muramasa, that I had pulled off my old PSX memory card and converted.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Whats the rush?

When i watch long movies, I usually break it up into 2 nights.

Same thing with long games. Who cares if it takes months to beat? For me thats a plus. Get more mileage out of my 70 bucks, the worst thing would be to finish the game in 3 days, even if its a really good game.

Like i said before, it took me a total of 8 months to finally beat Elden Ring.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It was pretty amazing. I had one of the original phat PSP-1000s which ran custom firmware, so I had all the old emulators on there as well as a bunch of the original PSX catalog. And since that thing was hacked wide open you could completely customize every aspect of it. It was so f***ing great. There were also some really great original PSP games, especially if you like RPGs.

I still have the system. The battery is completely dead but it works running on the AC adapter. Unfortunately in a fit of stupidity I used the MicroSD card I had in there for my daughter's toy camera. Lost everything I had including a Castlevania SOTN perfect save that even had a maxed out Muramasa, that I had pulled off my old PSX memory card and converted.
Yess it would be my favorite console of all time even if it weren't for modding, but with modding/emulators it takes it to a whole other level. You should definitely get it up & running again. I still have an original phat PSP-1000 as well as a slim one, I think 2000 lol. Both still fully functional! I haven't hacked either of them, but did hack my PS Vita which is the primary console I play, far more than my PS5. And 90% of the time on my Vita I'm spending it playing PSP games via Adrenaline (PSP emulator):

4xXCSLI.jpeg

I often play NHL 07 for it which there's a modding community for and they've added modern rosters, jerseys, etc. I dislike how large devices have gotten, whether it's the Steamdeck/Switch or even smartphones. I find new consoles much less ergonomic and handhelds certainly went downhill, it's a shame the PS Vita had such great hardware but the games were absolute shit compared to PSP imo. A lot of games for the Vita seemed like mobile phone games. PSP had so many full fledged console quality games

I have so much nostalgia for the PSP, I got it when I was a little kid right before a family vacation to Thailand & Hong Kong. The PSP was so ahead of its time where you had home console quality games, music, movies; even a web browser in the palm of your hands. Several years before smartphones even took off. I felt like I was in the future as a little boy carrying around that device while travelling through the super metropolitan cities of Bangkok & Hong Kong. Takes me back to simpler times whenever I play it. I know everyone has a console they have their emotional connection too from childhood and that's mine but I think even objectively that console was the most ahead of its time of any console ever

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Whats the rush?

When i watch long movies, I usually break it up into 2 nights.

Same thing with long games. Who cares if it takes months to beat? For me thats a plus. Get more mileage out of my 70 bucks, the worst thing would be to finish the game in 3 days, even if its a really good game.

Like i said before, it took me a total of 8 months to finally beat Elden Ring.
It literally causes me anxiety when it takes that long to beat something. Invariably something new and interesting comes out, or something happens in my life where I can't really play for a month, or whatever. I mean Horizon Forbidden West probably took me 2 months to beat, and then another month-ish to platinum. If I didn't absolutely love that universe and fall in with the Discord server I don't think I could have done it.

I mean I know it's all in my head. I just grew up where you could beat a game 100% in one playthrough and it didn't feel like you had to commit a substantial chunk of your life to it. Even though I've been playing for well over three decades now, I have never adjusted. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad