OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Been watching the PGL Euro qualifiers for the first CS:GO 2 major. Game hasn't changed much but I watched CSGO majors for the first few years and as far as esports go I enjoyed it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Started playing Helldivers 2 with my homeboys.... Very impressed!!!!!!! Highly recommend if you're looking for a PVE Shooter with a squad of up to 4.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Should I go with a Series X or PS5? I plan to have only one console until next gen.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Should I go with a Series X or PS5? I plan to have only one console until next gen.
Depends on what console exclusive games you prefer, but I went PS5 over Series X. I went Xbox 360/one over PS3/4 previously. Don’t regret the decision at all, love the PS5. Some really great exclusive games that drove me to my decision. I also like the controllers a lot more than I thought I would.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Depends on what console exclusive games you prefer, but I went PS5 over Series X. I went Xbox 360/one over PS3/4 previously. Don’t regret the decision at all, love the PS5. Some really great exclusive games that drove me to my decision. I also like the controllers a lot more than I thought I would.
I like Bethesda games but it sounds like their XBox exclusives are not as interesting as their prior games that are available on both consoles. I’ve also heard that the PS5 controller is the one true next gen feature for this gen. But I’m struggling with how big and ugly the PS5 looks.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I like Bethesda games but it sounds like their XBox exclusives are not as interesting as their prior games that are available on both consoles. I’ve also heard that the PS5 controller is the one true next gen feature for this gen. But I’m struggling with how big and ugly the PS5 looks.
Outside of the switch, pretty much all modern consoles are big and ugly. The controllers are great and it comes with Astro’s Playroom to show off the features. It’s one of my daughter’s favorite games.

If you do go the PS5 route and you like sword play style games, don’t sleep on Ghost of Tsushima. It’s fantastic.

I went the PS5 for all of the new Final Fantasy games and other Square Enix exclusives.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!

PS5

Get Gamepass on PC.

The Xbox exclusives this gen havn't been up to snuff so far this gen, suprising since they went on a buying spree before this gen (Even before Bethesda).

It's also a little worrisome hearing Microsoft is planning a next-gen console to release soon (Not the all digital version of X codenamed "Brooklyn")

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
PS5 quite easily.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Anyone play the new FF7 Rebirth Demo?

Combat has really grown a ton to the point where its almost over whelming (for me, I'm sure it will turn some people off and I would totally understand.) I got pretty good at switching between characters in remake and extending combos via the switch and the options that are made available to you in rebirth are basically 5x what you could do in the previous game.

Gonna dump a decent amount of time into this tonight as I probably won't get that much time to play it over the next week before the actual game comes out.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

Combat has really grown a ton to the point where its almost over whelming (for me, I'm sure it will turn some people off and I would totally understand.) I got pretty good at switching between characters in remake and extending combos via the switch and the options that are made available to you in rebirth are basically 5x what you could do in the previous game.

Gonna dump a decent amount of time into this tonight as I probably won't get that much time to play it over the next week before the actual game comes out.
Yeah I’ve really enjoyed the newest drop for the demo today. You’re really going to have to be on point with your combat strategy and switches/action choices. It seems way smoother than remake, but I agree it’s gonna take some grinding to get efficient with it.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
The PS5 absolutely blows. I’ve never owned an XBox and have been a PlayStation guy from day 1, but this generation was absolute and utter crap from them. Unless you wanna play a Demon Souls remake or the new FF before it comes to PC in a few months, I would just buy an Xbox. I’ve gotten WAY more value out of gamepass. It’s cheaper and will offer thousands of hours of gaming.

To be clear, that’s my experience on PC but if I didn’t own one I would absolutely get more value out of the cheaper Xbox with Gamepass. The value is insane.

Oh, Sony also announced that this console cycle is basically already over for them so they are 100 percent selling a pro model later this year. It will be a rip off, but the price of the regular model will drop. They don’t have much else in the pipeline till PS6 as far as exclusives go.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The PS5 absolutely blows. I’ve never owned an XBox and have been a PlayStation guy from day 1, but this generation was absolute and utter crap from them. Unless you wanna play a Demon Souls remake or the new FF before it comes to PC in a few months, I would just buy an Xbox. I’ve gotten WAY more value out of gamepass. It’s cheaper and will offer thousands of hours of gaming.

To be clear, that’s my experience on PC but if I didn’t own one I would absolutely get more value out of the cheaper Xbox with Gamepass. The value is insane.

Oh, Sony also announced that this console cycle is basically already over for them so they are 100 percent selling a pro model later this year. It will be a rip off, but the price of the regular model will drop. They don’t have much else in the pipeline till PS6 as far as exclusives go.
I've owned a PS since the first one and have always preferred PS over X-Box, but yeah, this generation has been meh so far. COVID didn't help at all.

That said, PS Plus extra is still very good value with the PS5. Plus, the exclusives such as God of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Horizon, etc.

Reactions: Kords

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I’ve really enjoyed the newest drop for the demo today. You’re really going to have to be on point with your combat strategy and switches/action choices. It seems way smoother than remake, but I agree it’s gonna take some grinding to get efficient with it.

I cleared the first 2 trials pretty easily and then got my ass kicked by the elephant one. I lived, but barely.

The strategy of stagger and then hammer is still the way to go but its wayyyy harder to stagger enemies in this game it seems.

I also think they undersold the length of this game. I could dump 20 hours+ in this area alone.

Reactions: Do you want ants

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I cleared the first 2 trials pretty easily and then got my ass kicked by the elephant one. I lived, but barely.

The strategy of stagger and then hammer is still the way to go but its wayyyy harder to stagger enemies in this game it seems.

I also think they undersold the length of this game. I could dump 20 hours+ in this area alone.
Yeah it really seems like you’re going to have to pick your party and build outs wisely. I’m stoked for it though. Ready to sink way too many hours into it.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I've owned a PS since the first one and have always preferred PS over X-Box, but yeah, this generation has been meh so far. COVID didn't help at all.

That said, PS Plus extra is still very good value with the PS5. Plus, the exclusives such as God of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Horizon, etc.
Yeah, PS Plus extra isn't bad but when they jacked up the price without any explanation and took away that essential library or whatever I never renewed out of principle. All those other games are either also on PS4 or PC. I think Spiderman 2 is the only non ps4 game that hasn't made it to PC yet. In fact, you can probably get a used ps4 AND a series X for almost the same price as a PS5.

Don't wanna give bad advice though, I am pretty much exclusively a PC guy these days so maybe i'm being harsh on the PS5. They are coming out with a PS5 pro likely this Holiday season though so that is definitely worth remembering to anyone thinking of buying one.

This video is supposed to be funny so it doesn't really tell the whole story, but it is sadly kind of true. (aside from Demon Souls, that game rules)

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!

The console cycle for the PS4 perhaps.

They also stated no exclusives for "established franchises" this year from their own studios.

You've got Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade coming out in the next 2 months.

Also, with regards to those specs of the PS6, did you look at the release date?

They have the PS6 coming out in 2028.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The console cycle for the PS4 perhaps.

They also stated no exclusives for "established franchises" this year from their own studios.

You've got Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade coming out in the next 2 months.

Also, with regards to those specs of the PS6, did you look at the release date?

They have the PS6 coming out in 2028.

Got a feeling this game is being slept on a bit and is going to end up being f***ing bonkers.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

I mastered the combat in Remake, the demo is making me feel like an absolute scrub.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I am pretty stoked for FF Rebirth. Happen to be on vacation next week so I wanna try and play Remake again, then the Crisis Core remaster for the first time, than no life it through Remake.

Speaking of the OG Playstation, I remember all of my friends in jr. high had the N64 and and they would talk about Star Fox, Golden Eye and Mario Kart all the time during recess and lunch. I was the only Sony kid so I was always out of the loop and I would catch all of the shit. When FF7 was coming out, Electronics Gaming Monthly had a huge cover spread showcasing the game. I remember bringing that in and showing everybody and they were pretty much speechless. They all ended up getting PlayStations and that game was pretty much our entire lives that whole year. Insane that there is a kinda sorta new iteration coming out. These bastards at Square have me hoping a certain thing somehow doesn't happen after all these years. It's actually crazy how invested I still am after all these years.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I am pretty stoked for FF Rebirth. Happen to be on vacation next week so I wanna try and play Remake again, then the Crisis Core remaster for the first time, than no life it through Remake.

Speaking of the OG Playstation, I remember all of my friends in jr. high had the N64 and and they would talk about Star Fox, Golden Eye and Mario Kart all the time during recess and lunch. I was the only Sony kid so I was always out of the loop and I would catch all of the shit. When FF7 was coming out, Electronics Gaming Monthly had a huge cover spread showcasing the game. I remember bringing that in and showing everybody and they were pretty much speechless. They all ended up getting PlayStations and that game was pretty much our entire lives that whole year. Insane that there is a kinda sorta new iteration coming out. These bastards at Square have me hoping a certain thing somehow doesn't happen after all these years. It's actually crazy how invested I still am after all these years.
I was spoiled to that certain thing by dial up internet before playing (I had played FF8 first and was looking for info on 7) and it really harmed my experience with the game. I never really got into unfortunately.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mastered the combat in Remake, the demo is making me feel like an absolute scrub.

Yeah I got to the end of it yesterday and fought the boss (Bottomswell in the OG, I don't remember what they called him in this.) Totally died once as I didn't have the right materia set up.

I loved the combos and stuff you could do in remake and you can still get away with that on the open field against most things but there is serious strategy and preparation that is going to be necessary to take on most of the bigger bosses.

I'm here for it. The other thing to consider is that Junon is a little bit into the game so they're throwing all these new features at you with stronger enemies to combat from the jump. By the time we get there in an actual play through we'll have hours of combat under our belt so it'll be easier.

Anyway the review embargo dropped today and it's currently sitting at a 94 on metacritic. If this is a GoW level game then we're all going to love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad