Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wonder if Cole and Hunwick are a bad pairing. Hunwick is playing better now so maybe it would work better but that could be because he's away from Cole. If those two can't play well together and the inclination is to put Maatta and Schultz together there's a problem.

I think both Hunwick and Cole benefit a lot from having a more talented dman next to them. I think they could be an okay pairing, but I think they and the team will perform better for splitting Maatta-Schultz between them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Those lines give me the same nauseating feeling in the pit of my stomach as when I saw them for the first time before the FLA game. You would think Sully was deliberately trying to come up with the worst combination of players possible....the Rangers have been bad to start the season but that's not justification for this abomination

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
All the talk about players struggling and there seems to be very little discussion over the fact Hagelin has a single point this season, despite playing a lot of games next to Malkin and Kessel.

I like what Hagelin brings on the PK and with his speed on the forecheck, but at some point we should be expecting more than 1 assist from a guy making $4 million per year, playing beside two elite offensive players.

To put Hagelin's lack of production into context: Kuhnhackl, who gets criticized often, has 2 points. Reaves and Rowney, two other players who get piled on, each have the same number of points as Hagelin, but without the benefit of both ice time and quality of linemate.

I was hoping for more from Hagelin this season offensively, especially after his brutal year last year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
All the talk about players struggling and there seems to be very little discussion over the fact Hagelin has a single point this season, despite playing a lot of games next to Malkin and Kessel.

I like what Hagelin brings on the PK and with his speed on the forecheck, but at some point we should be expecting more than 1 assist from a guy making $4 million per year, playing beside two elite offensive players.

To put Hagelin's lack of production into context: Kuhnhackl, who gets criticized often, has 2 points. Reaves and Rowney, two other players who get piled on, each have the same number of points as Hagelin, but without the benefit of both ice time and quality of linemate.

I was hoping for more from Hagelin this season offensively, especially after his brutal year last year.

When you judge him by points, you should also consider indirect points. He forced two penalties on breakaways so far that led to PP goals. Does that count? I say it does...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hags is a luxury we can afford right now. He is also a part of what is surprsingly a very solid PK unit. In the offseason you can move him, but right now he is causing absolutely no issues in our line-up.

Agreed. Keep the luxury, similar to MAF last year. Then make the move in the offseason.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hags is a luxury we can afford right now. He is also a part of what is surprsingly a very solid PK unit. In the offseason you can move him, but right now he is causing absolutely no issues in our line-up.

When you judge him by points, you should also consider indirect points. He forced two penalties on breakaways so far that led to PP goals. Does that count? I say it does...

I mean, I'm just saying it would be nice for him to produce more than he has given his linemates and ice time. Nowhere am I suggesting he doesn't bring *some* value to the club, or that he should be dumped ASAP.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Yeah, Cole and Hunwick didn't look good.

When Cole comes back i think i would leave Hunwick and Schultz together and try Maatta with Cole.

Yuck. Maatta and Schultz looked good together. I'd rather have a quality top 4 and rotate guys in the bottom pairing rather than screw up two pairings. One bad pair > 2 bad pairs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yuck. Maatta and Schultz looked good together. I'd rather have a quality top 4 and rotate guys in the bottom pairing rather than screw up two pairings. One bad pair > 2 bad pairs.

Schultz and Hunwick have already been playing together and have looked good together IMO.

We don't know how Maatta and Cole would be because they haven't played together yet.

The great thing is that if Maatta and Cole don't work out you can always change the pairs up again, but your not going to know if that pair will work out until you try to play them together.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Schultz and Hunwick have already been playing together and have looked good together IMO.

We don't know how Maatta and Cole would be because they haven't played together yet.

The great thing is that if Maatta and Cole don't work out you can always change the pairs up again, but your not going to know if that pair will work out until you try to play them together.

I mean, I guess it's a better time than any to experiment, but we know Maatta - Schultz works so why not use what works?

I think Sully is trying to spread the wealth, but Maatta has so far played as well as his partner and Cole is what he is.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
In these games this season, Sully hasn't been afraid to shuffle lines except for Geno-Phil who seem to be stuck together. He either figures those 2 are too good not to eventually produce OR keep all the problems on one line.

Kuhn-Rowney-Reaves

They had their moments at home vs FLA(several shifts in the OZ) but is certainly not a line i'd trot out vs speedier teams. ie. the CHI's and Tampa's. Best you can hope for is they have some rest and come out with strong efforts. Listening to Sully talk about them, it seems he wants them to throw their weight around to wear down teams + Kuhn is a useful PK'er.

It'll be interesting tomorrow cuz 1) they're coming off rest and 2) it's vs another speedy team. So it's hope for the best. Their TOI's will be telling.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Why is Cole-Schultz and Hunwick-Maatta not a thing? The former pair played well all last year, and the other pair played during the preseason. I thought thats what the plan was, and Im confused as to why that got changed once the season started. I get it that now with Ruh as our 7 we cant put him and Schultz together, but why must it be difficult when were at full strength.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Why is Cole-Schultz and Hunwick-Maatta not a thing? The former pair played well all last year, and the other pair played during the preseason. I thought thats what the plan was, and Im confused as to why that got changed once the season started. I get it that now with Ruh as our 7 we cant put him and Schultz together, but why must it be difficult when were at full strength.
they must prefer Hunwick on the left.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
they must prefer Hunwick on the left.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that's why they got away from Maatta-Hunwick and started going to Hunwick-Cole with Cole playing the right side. I think they picked him up with the idea he would play right but he hasn't been as good playing this system on the right

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yep. I'm pretty sure that's why they got away from Maatta-Hunwick and started going to Hunwick-Cole with Cole playing the right side. I think they picked him up with the idea he would play right but he hasn't been as good playing this system on the right
Hopefully he can keep looking good with Schultz. Maatta-Cole could be a good pair too if Maatta can keep this offense going. It's more a 2a and 2b pairing setup, but I don't have a problem with that.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
they will find their game soon or sully will switch it up. this always happens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hopefully he can keep looking good with Schultz. Maatta-Cole could be a good pair too if Maatta can keep this offense going. It's more a 2a and 2b pairing setup, but I don't have a problem with that.

Maybe but I don't think Cole is as good on the right either. But I don't know there are any other options than sitting someone for Ruh, who I like but isn't as good defensively

Edit..I'd like them to actually give Bengtsson a shot on the third pair. He's looked good to start in the AHL. Like to see them call him up in the near future and give him a shot

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I like 2a and 2b. It keeps consistent fresh quality on the ice.

Malkin and Kessel isn't exactly a great combo to play with on current form. I'd like more production from him, but I don't think he's playing in a great spot for him right now.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe but I don't think Cole is as good on the right either. But I don't know there are any other options than sitting someone for Ruh, who I like but isn't as good defensively

Edit..I'd like them to actually give Bengtsson a shot on the third pair. He's looked good to start in the AHL. Like to see them call him up in the near future and give him a shot

Yeah, I dont remember Cole being as good on his off side either, but I guess if its easier for him to switch than Hunwick thats what you do. Still question a little why it was Hunwick they picked up for the reason stated above, but hes been playing surprisingly well considering what I had read about him from Toronto fans.

Honestly I think best case scenario is that Bengtsson can become a bottom pairing guy end of this year or next and we pick up someone else to play with him. I have a feeling Cole is going to price himself out of town, and as pleased as Ive been with Hunwick I think hes pretty pricy for what he brings as a third pairing defenseman on this team.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, I dont remember Cole being as good on his off side either, but I guess if its easier for him to switch than Hunwick thats what you do. Still question a little why it was Hunwick they picked up for the reason stated above, but hes been playing surprisingly well considering what I had read about him from Toronto fans.

Honestly I think best case scenario is that Bengtsson can become a bottom pairing guy end of this year or next and we pick up someone else to play with him. I have a feeling Cole is going to price himself out of town, and as pleased as Ive been with Hunwick I think hes pretty pricy for what he brings as a third pairing defenseman on this team.

I thought Cole played some of his best hockey with us on his off side during that playoff run, I guess three years back. So much so, I figured he'd be a fixture on the right side moving forward.

And Yeah, Cole will probably get paid. Looking at what Alzner got, and considering he's equally as good at shutting down his own team's offense as the opposition, I can't see Cole getting substantially less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad