The All Purpose Coaching Staff Thread | UPD: Larry Fisher: Oilers Hire Ian Herbers

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
San Diego AHL hired Eakins as new HC. Ducks farm team
Ifg9Yqp.gif

Speculation is that the Oilers backed off as well, as hiring MacLean would have meant giving up another pick.
Compensation is only if the person is hired to be POHO, GM, or head coach.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Don't know how to embed tweets but sounds like Rocky Thompson is getting hired by Windsor. He was our eye in the sky last year, right?

And still one opening for an assistant coach then?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Don't know how to embed tweets but sounds like Rocky Thompson is getting hired by Windsor. He was our eye in the sky last year, right?

And still one opening for an assistant coach then?

I assume so, looks like we will have a completely different staff next season.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Wow one of our ex-coaches actually got a great position after leaving the oilers....how often does that happen.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Rocky will do amazing job in Windsor. He will be missed in Oil country. very classy guy with knows how to pump up the boys before the game.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Wow, someone who actually has past experience and paid their dues. I was fully expecting Buchberger to sneak his way onto the staff.

I made a post a few weeks ago saying this would be the first coaching staff in Oilers' NHL history that didn't have a former Oilers player on staff. That won't be the case now. Ian Herbers played 22 games for the team in 1993-94.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's a great, great hire.

Plays excellent systems: Check.
Coming from a dominant program: Check
Paid his dues and hungry: Check
Proven track record with young players: Check.
Near-universal respect from everyone that's come in contact with him: Check
And, maybe most importantly:
Comes from a winning culture that HE created: Check.
Used to play for the Oi...AW GOD DAMNIT (jokes)

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Old boys club. Oh wait.

Interesting though. I don't know much of anything about him. U of A makes me wonder if there is any connection? What's everyone else think?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Old boys club. Oh wait.

Interesting though. I don't know much of anything about him. U of A makes me wonder if there is any connection? What's everyone else think?

Well, to put it in perspective:

Here's Herbers' combined regular season record in three years as U of A head coach:

72-12.

Here's Alberta's record in the two years before he got there:

39-17.

He went into an already-good team and made them a juggernaut.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I just read that Ian Herbers was asked to join the staff for the recent U-18 WJC, which speaks volumes about him given how rare it is for someone coaching a university program to be involved with Hockey Canada. TJ Foster, a Oil Kings alumnus, developed so much under Herbers that he earned a Marlies contract.

Previous experience in the AHL as both an Assistant and Head Coach to boot.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Well, to put it in perspective:

Here's Herbers' combined regular season record in three years as U of A head coach:

72-12.

Here's Alberta's record in the two years before he got there:

39-17.

He went into an already-good team and made them a juggernaut.

That's amazing. I knew the Golden Bears were good. I've lived in Edmonton and Fredericton so I am used to good University hockey teams. haha

But I didn't realize they were that unstoppable. Excellent news.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That's amazing. I knew the Golden Bears were good. I've lived in Edmonton and Fredericton so I am used to good University hockey teams. haha

But I didn't realize they were that unstoppable. Excellent news.
He led them to 2 straight scoring titles. Also helped TJ Foster from going as just some low Oil Kings player to be the best player in the entire Canadian University system where he got signed by the Marlies. Good guy who knows how to win coming into a coaching group that knows how to win. I like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad