The All Purpose Coaching Staff Thread | UPD: Larry Fisher: Oilers Hire Ian Herbers

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It would serve everyone well to let the professionals do their job. If Chiarelli does not think Buchberger has a role to play, that will be revealed in time. It would also be better if everyone did not assume that everything those other gentlemen did was bad and everyone associated with them is bad.

Chia wont be looking at OKC roles.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Not yet anyway. He's done a lot already IMO. OKC has been somewhat succesful so he could just stay away from that aspect until he figures out the more important areas first.

Would not want to be PC right now. A lot of work reading people to see whether or not they deserve to stick around. At least we know he isn't afraid to make the hard decisions and make changes.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Sort of half-playing Devil's advocate here, but do we actually know that Kelly Buchberger sucks at his job other than the whole OBC stigma and having been around for the worst tenure in the history of the organization?

I mean, with Lowe and MacT there's tangible evidence of their incompetence, but it's not like Bucky's had a lead role or can be directly faulted for the results we've had.

If competent and proven individuals like Chiarelli and McLellan come in and judge Bucky to be good enough then maybe he isn't as terrible as he's made out to be?

Having said all this I'd rather see Buchberger leave if only for the optics. And I still think there's a real chance that happens.

no, it's just the stench of the OBC lingers on. Rightly or wrongly, any member of that club (and Buchy is a card carrying member) will get a bad wrap forever.

#BlameKLowe.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004

There are no OKC roles, as there is no team in OKC.

I find it hard to believe that the President of Hockey Operations will have no involvement with their AHL affiliate, considering the Oilers OWN Bakersfield. Previously, hockey ops hired and fired the coaching staff. You're suggesting they will no longer handle that? Who would then?

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Obviously the GM is in charge of Bako. Chi keeps talking development. Development=Bakersfield. So far the only coaches in the system not terminated/moved are Thompson and Fleming. I would think that the AHL staff would be announced by mid-July.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
no, it's just the stench of the OBC lingers on. Rightly or wrongly, any member of that club (and Buchy is a card carrying member) will get a bad wrap forever.

#BlameKLowe.

Bah, people focusing negative energy on stuff that doesn't matter.

It's a waste of time.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I have no real opinion on the guys they hired.

Glad they left the decision entirely to McLellan though. If he's happy I'm happy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 52s53 seconds ago

Former OTT head coach Paul MacLean is on verge of taking an assistant coach position with ANA. Ducks had previously asked OTT for permission

So much for that.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This will be the first time in the Oilers' NHL history that the coaching staff doesn't have at least one former Oiler player on it.

1979 - Oilers enter the NHL with Glen Sather as head coach (played for team and became player-coach during the 1976-77 WHA season)
1989 - Sather steps down as head coach but Ron Low joins coaching staff as an assistant (goalie from 1980-83)
1995 - Low promoted to head coach
1999 - Low steps down and assistant Kevin Lowe is promoted to head coach (played 1979-92 & 1996-98)
2000 - Lowe moves to GM and promotes assistant Craig MacTavish to head coach (played 1985-94)
2009 - MacTavish resigns/is fired but assistant/professional cockroach Kelly Buchberger remains on staff (played 1987-99)
2014 - Buchberger is removed but associate coach Keith Acton stays on (played 1988-89)

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
who's Jim Johnson?

We know Jay Woodcroft is coming; he worked with Todd McLellan in San Jose. Some people think that we’ll end up in a scenario in which Jim Johnson, who was also on that staff – a veteran NHL defenceman, highly regarded for his ability to develop players – that Jim Johnson will join the staff as well and Rocky Thompson would remain. Still as of right now nothing official from the Edmonton Oilers on that front.

From Willis.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I would think Woodcroft would run special teams, Johnson would run the D and Thompson would be the "eye in the sky"/video coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad