The All Purpose Coaching Staff Thread | UPD: Larry Fisher: Oilers Hire Ian Herbers

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Both Jim Johnson and Rockey Thomson had careers filled with toughness.

Considering CHiarelli's previous comments, I imagine he is quite pleased with this.

Oilers toughness here we come? Hopefully.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Are Woodcroft and Johnson his Buckys? Now if Chiarelli hires his brother for a scouting position, we'll have the new old boys club.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Are Woodcroft and Johnson his Buckys? Now if Chiarelli hires his brother for a scouting position, we'll have the new old boys club.

Little over-sensitive. Hiring former co-workers is not nepotism, particularly if they are effective at their jobs.

The new OBC? It's Colorado's management group.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
Its fine I think kevin lowe should return to coaching

Associate coach Kevin lowe :sarcasm:

I liked Lowe as a coach, seriously haha. He had passion that i think the players responded to and i loved how crazy he would get about 5 times a game. I can still picture him screaming and flailing his arms. I still cringe when i picture Eakins robotic arms crossed every night. At Least Lowe got us to the playoffs and nowadays thats the new bar for this Oiler fan

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
That's the way...................???

That's the way the hockey world works.........and to an extend that's how business world works.

The most neutral places are government offices....that have personnel departments to keep hiring in perspective.

Oct 15, 2008
I liked Lowe as a coach, seriously haha. He had passion that i think the players responded to and i loved how crazy he would get about 5 times a game. I can still picture him screaming and flailing his arms. I still cringe when i picture Eakins robotic arms crossed every night. At Least Lowe got us to the playoffs and nowadays thats the new bar for this Oiler fan

Lowe was a good coach.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yeah he was.

As for MacLean going to Anaheim, I kimda saw it coming. We purged our Mac's for Mc's.

That would of been an interesting addition, I'm still thinking we are going to nab one more guy, since McLellan went with two guys he has history with and tried grabbing a 3rd in MacLean, wondered if he might grab someone else from his past. So two names stuck out one was Trent Yawney who is already on the Anaheim coaching staff as an assistant and the other is Matt Shaw he was an assistant for McLellan for 8 seasons, 5 season in the AHL and 3 seasons in the NHL, he also mentioned in a interview I looked up that he was sure him and Todd would coach together again sometime in the future. Shaw is presently a head coach in the USHL, him leaving his assistant coaching position with the Devils seemed a bit odd he signed on there for one year and then left saying he preferred taking a head coaching job in the USHL, not entirely sure if he was pushed out or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Little over-sensitive. Hiring former co-workers is not nepotism, particularly if they are effective at their jobs.

The new OBC? It's Colorado's management group.

Nepotism would be what Buffalo did.

As for OBC and hiring former co-workers/friends, hate to tell people this but it's kinda what happens in professional sports. Why you think we brought Nicholson in? Because Lowe and Katz knew him from Hockey Canada, why do you think we brought PC in?

Just how the world turns.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Nepotism would be what Buffalo did.

As for OBC and hiring former co-workers/friends, hate to tell people this but it's kinda what happens in professional sports. Why you think we brought Nicholson in? Because Lowe and Katz knew him from Hockey Canada, why do you think we brought PC in?

Just how the world turns.

Exactly.

Nepotism is Lowe hiring his best friend MacT to be the GM with zero experience at that position.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
"They're very progressive thinkers and very hard workers." #Oilers GM Chiarelli on newly-hired assistant coaches Woodcroft & Johnson

"...and they aren't Ex-Oilers, so they must be smarter" :sarcasm:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe · 5m5 minutes ago
"@SDGullsAHL: BREAKING: #SDGulls appoint Dallas Eakins as Head Coach. " I guess they're 'Gull'ible enough.Just kidding

Gene with the greatest pun.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe · 5m5 minutes ago
"@SDGullsAHL: BREAKING: #SDGulls appoint Dallas Eakins as Head Coach. " I guess they're 'Gull'ible enough.Just kidding

Gene with the greatest pun.

I think Gene can see puns 2 seconds before the rest of us do.

Last edited:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
That's the perfect place for him. Nobody cares or knows anything about hockey. Should be able to freely coach without anybody realizing he's a fraud or calling him out on his bull ****.:)

I hope the conman manages to someday wrangle himself onto the Duck's coaching staff (preferably Head Coach). That's where he belongs. As a fixture. Guiding them ever forward unto eternity.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah he was.

As for MacLean going to Anaheim, I kimda saw it coming. We purged our Mac's for Mc's.

Speculation is that the Oilers backed off as well, as hiring MacLean would have meant giving up another pick.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Speculation is that the Oilers backed off as well, as hiring MacLean would have meant giving up another pick.

I don't think so. I haven't read into it myself, but the rule supposedly stipulates that compensation is based on what role the person will hold with their new team, not what role they held with their old team. So technically you could hire Babcock, Burke, Armstrong and Holland as assistant coaches and assistant GMs and it wouldn't result in giving up a pick?

Thats what I've heard, anyway..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad