TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The boys at mission log started their 3 and a half year journey into DS9 last night.

Were going to listen to it (Emissary) tonight.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
‘Star Trek 4’: S.J. Clarkson Becomes the First Female Director in Franchise’s History (EXCLUSIVE)

The studio announced at CinemaCon in Las Vegas that it was planning a fourth movie with Chris Hemsworth, who appeared as Chris Pine’s father in 2009’s “Star Trek.” Zachary Quinto is also set to return. Paramount is developing another “Star Trek” film from J.J. Abrams and Quentin Tarantino, but sources say it is still being written and would come after the fourth movie.

While details on “Star Trek 4” are vague, sources say a key plot point sees Pine’s character running into his father (Hemsworth) in a time travel ploy.

So there's two new films in the works.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This seems like the kind of plot that is entirely driven by getting Hemsworth back into a Star Trek movie because he's a big star now, rather than because it's a good story.
Yeah, I don't like the idea of it at all. I would like to see Star Trek do some Treking. I don't care about Kirk's relationship with his dad.

That said, it ultimately comes down to how you tell the story. It's possible they could make something good out of this, but it sounds totally uninteresting to me. I'll stay open minded to it nonetheless.

Reactions: Blender

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hemsworth/Pine/Saldana would basically guarantee a blockbuster in terms of revenue.

Story wise...maybe they'll call it Star Trek: Avengers League. ;)

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Hemsworth/Pine/Saldana would basically guarantee a blockbuster in terms of revenue.

Story wise...maybe they'll call it Star Trek: Avengers League. ;)
I don't know. I think Star Trek has a limited ceiling. It seems like no matter what they do to make it "cool" it never really works.

It's like the NHL trying to market itself using Snoop Dogg.

Reactions: Blender

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't know. I think Star Trek has a limited ceiling. It seems like no matter what they do to make it "cool" it never really works.

It's like the NHL trying to market itself using Snoop Dogg.

I dunno. Thor wasn't really considered to be that much of a mainstream franchise before Hemsworth made it into one. Some people just have drawing power, and Pine and Saldana are basically as good as it gets in terms of co-stars in these kinds of movies. That's not even considering who they might cast for the villain.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I dunno. Thor wasn't really considered to be that much of a mainstream franchise before Hemsworth made it into one. Some people just have drawing power, and Pine and Saldana are basically as good as it gets in terms of co-stars in these kinds of movies. That's not even considering who they might cast for the villain.
He was in Ghostbusters and didn't seem to make much difference. Granted it was a more minor role.

I think most of the people seeing Thor are kids that go to see every Marvel movie. I don't think they care about Hemsworth.

Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange did better than 2 out of the 3 Thor movies, and Cumberbatch couldn't evevate Star Trek Into Dumbness to the next level.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm excited for this news, and the return of the Kelvin Universe cast. I hope Jaylah returns because I liked her in Beyond.
I just hope it's not another action packed schlock fest. And I don't want to see another generic villain with a mcguffin or mega powerful ship.

I'm slightly optimistic about the choice of director. She has a TV background. In this genre TV is more character drama focused and less reliant on spectacle/action than movies are. Maybe that means the action will be toned down. It would make sense because action and visuals are very expensive and I'm pretty sure they're going to cut the budget down.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Some interesting comments from Meyer recently:
An audience member at the event asked him about that miniseries. “A while back there were reports that you might be working on a Star Trek miniseries, is there any truth to that, if you’re allowed to say anything about that?”

“No, I can say something,” replied Meyer. “I was hired to write a stand-alone Star Trek-related trilogy, [details of which] I can’t discuss or I’d have to kill you. I was writing it for CBS [All] Access...but at the moment CBS is at a war with Paramount/Viacom [about merging].

“They’re in a power struggle which turned really nasty this past week when CBS decided to sue Viacom. So I don’t think my project is going anywhere in a hurry, because everything is on hold while they sort out this merger business. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.”

Nick Meyer Offers Hints on Secretive STAR TREK Project | TrekCore Blog

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There is a lot of crazy rumours running around right now

1) Two Star Trek movies are in preproduction--The Quentin one and the listed as being number 4
2) Another series ala the next generation
3) The mini series

and then you had Shatner suggest a couple of weeks ago he was back

and then you have the fact that with the acceptation of the actors who play SPOCK and KIRK are the only actors still under contract for any movies

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise

Alex Kurtzman Sets Five-Year CBS TV Studios Pact, Will Oversee Expanded ‘Star Trek’ Universe

Not only is Alex Kurtzman the new sole showrunner of Discovery, but he will also be in charge of Star Trek as a whole on the TV side.

SOME OF THE NEW TREK SHOWS REPORTEDLY IN THE WORKS:
-A teen-oriented series set at Starfleet Academy from Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, the duo behind the recent Dynasty reboot and Marvel’s Runaways adaptation.
(Teen oriented? No thanks. Yuck.)

-A limited series with a currently confidential plot.
(There's rumors this could involve Patrick Stewart as Picard)

-A limited series based around the beloved character Khan, from the original Star Trek and the classic film The Wrath of Khan—something that’s been rumored for a while as being spearheaded by Wrath of Khan director Nicholas Meyer.
(More Khan? Lame. Although I love Nicholas Meyer I don't care about Khan. The franchise needs to move on.)

-An animated series with another currently confidential plot.
(Yawn. Don't care at all. It will probably be aimed at kids.)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I get the feeling that CBS/Paramount is trying to milk Star Trek like Disney is milking Star Wars, only on the TV side instead of the film side.

As much as I've wanted to see Stewart as Picard again and a TNG sequel, if it's anything like Discovery, I'd rather not have it. The last thing that I want is for Kurtzman to taint my all-time favorite series.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I like the idea of more Star Trek, but I would rather focus on new characters rather than bringing someone like Stewart back. Leave the old series alone and come up with something new.

Reactions: johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I like the idea of more Star Trek, but I would rather focus on new characters rather than bringing someone like Stewart back. Leave the old series alone and come up with something new.
And I feel the same way about Khan. Why do we need more of him? He's not even that good of a character.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I like the idea of more Star Trek.

I dislike the idea of bringing back Patrick Stewart in what would seem to be a lazy nostalgia grab (because what are you supposed to do with a nearly-80 Capt. Picard and few if any of the rest of the TNG cast, except make a depressing look at how old our heroes are getting, kind of like bits of the end of the TOS crew's movie run)

I severely dislike the idea of Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman being involved.

I think the scales have tilted irreparably to the "dislike" side of things

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
And I feel the same way about Khan. Why do we need more of him? He's not even that good of a character.

I find Khan overrated. I liked WOK, but it's not my favorite movie by any stretch. Keeping on going back to Khan is a small symptom of just going back to the original cast over and over. Leave it alone. This is the same franchise that gave us the Borg and the Dominion. I would like something like the Dominion again, but different and made for current day mentality.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I thought Goldsman was pretty much out of everything Trek related.
I thought somewhere I read Goldsman's name attached to the new set of series, it was just that he was gone early from Discovery (possibly in order to work on the new stuff?)

EDIT: found it:

However, The Hollywood Reporter might have details on at least one of those mysterious limited series. The trade reports that one show in Kurtzman’s new deal could bring back one of Trek’s most beloved characters: Sir Patrick Stewart’s Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR, both Kurtzman and producer Akiva Goldsman (who departed Discovery after its first season) are attached to the series, which would be lead by Stewart reprising his role as Picard.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-a-next-generation-sequel-could-be-included-in-a-1826956945

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad