TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Reactions: Baby Punisher

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The 'Callister' thread encouraged me to watch Season 4 Episode 1 of Black Mirror (on Netflix) just now. It's a worthwhile watch for Star Trek fans, and it's an anthology series (like The Twilight Zone), so you don't need to have watched any previous episodes.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just stumbled upon these "modern trailers" for The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan. I expected them to be satirical and poke fun at modern trailers, but they're actually pretty cool and well done. I got excited to watch the films again... even though I've seen them dozens of times.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I just stumbled upon these "modern trailers" for The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan. I expected them to be satirical and poke fun at modern trailers, but they're actually pretty cool and well done. I got excited to watch the films again... even though I've seen them dozens of times.

Those are awesome.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm not sure anything could get me excited to watch the original Motion Picture again. I mean, it's not quite Star Trek V bad, but maaan, it was...... not good.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Good concept, piss poor execution.

It felt like exactly what it was: a glorified TV work. It was the aborted pilot for Rodenberry's original Trek sequel pan and the whole thing from the setup to the look and design felt like a TV show and not a movie. Add in characters we don't care about (Decker and Illia) and a generally plodding story and it was just a chore to watch. As much as I'll say that V was worse, I'd almost rather watch it than this one.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not sure anything could get me excited to watch the original Motion Picture again. I mean, it's not quite Star Trek V bad, but maaan, it was...... not good.
That trailer is really misleading, that movie has nowhere near that much suspense. :laugh:

The Wrath of Khan trailer on the other hand, probably over hypes the amount of action but downplays the suspense and the dueling intellects of Khan and Kirk.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
If there is one thing the Discovery finale did it made me appreciate 24th century trek a lot more. For the last 13 years everything had to be tied to Kirk's enterprise. With the 24th century, trek was allowed to grow and build a very sophisticated and interesting universe full of multi dimensional characters and interesting alien species. That's where Trek needs to go to survive. Stop living in the past.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If there is one thing the Discovery finale did it made me appreciate 24th century trek a lot more. For the last 13 years everything had to be tied to Kirk's enterprise. With the 24th century, trek was allowed to grow and build a very sophisticated and interesting universe full of multi dimensional characters and interesting alien species. That's where Trek needs to go to survive. Stop living in the past.

I wish a new Star Trek would either take place not long after the Dominion war with everyone still recovering from the war or jump into the early 25th century.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wish a new Star Trek would either take place not long after the Dominion war with everyone still recovering from the war or jump into the early 25th century.

I just watched Enterprise over the weekend (Just started season 4) and got to the episode where they were on the Enterprise J. Now I would watch a series like that. Heck, even bring the Xindi along and have Xindi be part of the crew. I think I would like Discovery a whole lot more if they were in the 25th century or after.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I posted this in the discovery thread:

It looks like Axanar has its script locked and is moving ahead. Finally, we'll get proper Klingons, proper technology, a proper Klingon-Federation war, and no retcons to the canon

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

It looks like Axanar has its script locked and is moving ahead. Finally, we'll get proper Klingons, proper technology, a proper Klingon-Federation war, and no retcons to the canon

I thought Axanar was dead because of the lawsuits and the like.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I thought Axanar was dead because of the lawsuits and the like.

It was dead in the water prior to discovery being released. Since then I believe they have settset to some extent.

Basically, CBS invoked their rights only because Axanar was running with a similar premise to discoverys.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Where are you seeing this? I follow the Axanar director on Twitter and if something changed I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned it.

Axanar is in direct violation of many of the fan film guidelines CBS put out: Star Trek Fan Films

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Interesting. I did not see that.

Unfortunately, there's not much to it. It will only be two 15 minute episodes because that's all the CBS guidelines will allow.

30 minutes is better than nothing.

I foresee Discovery biting the dust here in the next season or two, after it does, and if Axanar is successful, the production team might very well be given some reign over the product, which would be amazing and well earned.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It looks like Axanar is staying true to series canon when it comes to technology and appearance.

Pasha-1.jpg

Bridge-Electronics-1-768x234.jpg

It blows my mind that with a gargantuan budget, Discovery couldn't at least try to make things look somewhat canon.

Yeah, I get it, TOS era tech and design look ehhhhh, but you can do little things here and there to make it look modern, while keeping the same design types and feel.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That last photo struck me that it's weird that, on a set (TOS' set) that is so perfectly symmetrical, the turbo lift is just off center. I suppose that having it directly behind the Captain's chair would be bad design, though. Wait, isn't that how it is on the Discovery? Haha. I rest my case. I think that the Enterprise D was designed more realistically (if you can even call starship design "realistic") by having two turbo lifts to the bridge, one at 10 o'clock and the other at 2 o'clock, rather than just the one at 1 o'clock. In fact, come to think of it, the bridges in the original Star Trek films had the same.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That last photo struck me that it's weird that, on a set (TOS' set) that is so perfectly symmetrical, the turbo lift is just off center. I suppose that having it directly behind the Captain's chair would be bad design, though. Wait, isn't that how it is on the Discovery? Haha. I rest my case. I think that the Enterprise D was designed more realistically (if you can even call starship design "realistic") by having two turbo lifts to the bridge, one at 10 o'clock and the other at 2 o'clock, rather than just the one at 1 o'clock. In fact, come to think of it, the bridges in the original Star Trek films had the same.
The Enterprise D actually had a door in the 4 "corners", so it was symmetrical. Two corners opposite of each other were turbo lifts, and the other two were to the ready room and the conference room.

What sort of struck me with the Discovery bridge as it looks longer than it is wide, where every other bridge in Star Trek has been wider than it is long or about even for both dimensions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad