The All-encompassing Oilers Goaltending Thread

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
To start, I'm aware we have the Talbot & Montoya threads, the coaching threads and the prospect thread.

I thought it'd be a good idea to have one goaltending thread to discuss all things Oilers related to the goaltending position. Anything goes...who you'd like to see replace Talbot, who you'd like to see be his shotgun rider as 1B, who they should acquire to be goaltending coach, how the prospects are coming along...anything and everything related to the netminding position.

Mods, if you think this thread isn't worthy...go ahead and delete it.

I'd like to see a solid acquisition at the goaltending coach position. The last two guys had next to zero NHL experience and I don't believe are or were effective instructors.

Dwayne Roloson- I'd love to see come back in this role. Currently with the Victoria Royals in a coaching consultant role.

Bill Ranford- He's churned out some pretty good NHL goalies in Quick and initially worked with Martin Jones. Currently the Kings goalie coach and has been for 12 years.

Yes both are ex-Oilers but if you're good at your job, then I don't care.

If the Oilers turf Mclellan in favor of Trotz if the Caps make an early exit, maybe he can coax Mitch Korn to come out of semi-returement.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Talbot will bounce back depending on the team in front of him. We need a solid backup/1b option like maybe Mrazek behind him though.

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
Yep can't trust Talbot. The backup role is so important. Not sure what the hell Chia was thinking last year with such an unproven group of goalies. Need to bring in a legitimate challenger to take over the reins if Talbot falters early. IMO its top of the list this offseason (other than head coach change).

Reactions: dawunderboy

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I also agree that Talbot isn't the guy. The Oilers need to start a search for a new #1G this summer. Also, trading a 4th for Montoya with term was a shit panic move by Chia. LB is a bust and so is Ellis.

The Oilers have been cursed with goaltending...

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Talbot has put up all star worthy numbers every time he has played behind a good defence.

Carey Price looks like garbage behind a bad defence. Dubnyk looks like a Vezina winner behind a good defence.

Fix the defence and we don't have a goalie problem anymore.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just as we have a hard time trusting Talbot to be "the guy", we also can't trust in our coaches ability to read his goalie and tell when he's really fighting it out there and won't have a good game. How many really weak goals did our netminders let in, in the first five minutes or first shot of the game? How many time did it take 2 or 3 more weak goals in the same period or game for the coach to do anything. Being stubborn and refusing to adapt is not a good trait for a coach, but it is one of the most obvious traits of TMac. I'd love to try and get any one of Washington's three top goalies in their system, sign the best Euro goalie as well this offseason.

Reactions: Supermassive

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Talbot has put up all star worthy numbers every time he has played behind a good defence.

Carey Price looks like garbage behind a bad defence. Dubnyk looks like a Vezina winner behind a good defence.

I believe this as well. If Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera were healthy this year it would have been a completely different outcome.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That's why the team needs a solid 1B. I think Cam Ward could be a short-term answer in that regard.

The 34 year old who hasn't posted even close to league average numbers for the last 6 years? Even Montoya's posted better numbers than him over the last three seasons. Ward is done.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Talbot had a piss poor year regardless of the defense. How many times did he give up a goal on the first shot of the game? It's disingenuous to simply blame everyone on the D. Talbot has to shoulder his share of the blame. But here's the thing, I ain't worried about Talbot in the least. He'll bounce back and be better last year. He's shown a lot of ability to rebound in the past and I expect that to be no different now. Too many people get too wrapped up in what have you done for me lately. Talbot will be back to his usual self next season I don't doubt and I also don't doubt that the Oilers D will be improved next season simply by guys like Klefomb and Sekera and to a lesser extent Larsson rebounding from poor years as well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I just want a young, reliable backup that can push Talbot and play 30 games a year. Someone that could develop into a future starter.

I'd target Jonathan Bernier as a guy who could take the reins if Talbot has an off year and they want to go in a different direction thereafter.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I just want a young, reliable backup that can push Talbot and play 30 games a year. Someone that could develop into a future starter.
In a perfect world this is how we address our goaltending. In this world, where Chiaturd is running the show, expect another montoya move.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
We can't trust Talbot to be 'the guy'. He's shown that time and time again.
I think he's proven the opposite. Give him a good defence including team defence and he's a very good goalie. Not picking on you but this comment is representative of similar ones here. He had a terrible team in front of him this season.

Have folks forgotten 2016-17 already? Lots of short-term thinkers here. He didn't go from stud to dud overnight.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Add Dubnyk to the list of shitty Oilers defence casualties. There's no a goalie in the league that could do well with plugs like Benning and Auvitu out there. Not to mention an injured and horrible Klefbom this year and an injured Sekera.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I also agree that Talbot isn't the guy. The Oilers need to start a search for a new #1G this summer. Also, trading a 4th for Montoya with term was a **** panic move by Chia. LB is a bust and so is Ellis.

The Oilers have been cursed with goaltending...

This all points to coaching. They need a real goalie coach.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That's why the team needs a solid 1B. I think Cam Ward could be a short-term answer in that regard.

tenor.gif

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Friedman was on Stauffer's show and said that Anaheim might be considering moving John Gibson because of injury concerns. Whut. Gibson is a great goalie who is only going to get better, being only 24 and all, not to mention he's an RFA at the end of his current contract (2.3 M). Ducks would be fools to trade him. I'm poking around that possibility if I'm the Oilers.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Sorry but too many times he lets in **** that has nothing to do with the defense.
I think it does. A bad team destroys confidence and causes concentration lapses. He was all world months earlier (hyperbole, I know) behind a team playing well and instantly he's crap? I'm not buying it.

Reactions: Supermassive

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The 34 year old who hasn't posted even close to league average numbers for the last 6 years? Even Montoya's posted better numbers than him over the last three seasons. Ward is done.

You would take Montoya over Ward? Interesting choice. If Ward being 34 is relevant what about Montoya being 33? Let's look at Montoya compred to Ward.

Montoya 17/18 3.21 GAA/.893 Save%/4-3-2
Ward 17/18 2.73/.906/23-14-4

That's just last year.

Ward had a better season last year than Montoya, and can push Talbot.

Ward will probably be willing to sign cheap to end is career in his home town.

Reactions: OilDrop37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad