The All-encompassing Oilers Goaltending Thread

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You would take Montoya over Ward? Interesting choice. If Ward being 34 is relevant what about Montoya being 33? Let's look at Montoya compred to Ward.

Montoya 17/18 3.21 GAA/.893 Save%/4-3-2
Ward 17/18 2.73/.906/23-14-4

That's just last year.

Ward had a better season last year than Montoya, and can push Talbot.

Ward will probably be willing to sign cheap to end is career in his home town.

I don't think he actually means that he'd rather have Montoya, he's just pointing out that over the past half decade Cam is considerably below average, so much so that our current inadequate backup has actually out performed him in 3 of the past 5 years in terms of save percentage and goals against average .

If you strike out everywhere else, he could be a Plan G, but I think you need to aim higher.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I think it does. A bad team destroys confidence and causes concentration lapses. He was all world months earlier (hyperbole, I know) behind a team playing well and instantly he's crap? I'm not buying it.

Concentration lapses at the beginning of each game? How many lame first/second/third shots has he let in?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You would take Montoya over Ward? Interesting choice. If Ward being 34 is relevant what about Montoya being 33? Let's look at Montoya compred to Ward.

No. The point was to show that Ward had worse numbers over the last three years than a crappy career back up goalie.

Ward had a better season last year than Montoya, and can push Talbot.

Given his performance over the past few years I'm not sure I'd trust Ward to push a broom.

Ward will probably be willing to sign cheap to end is career in his home town.

I'm sure he would. I wouldn't sign him though on account of him being finished as an NHL player.

If you're looking for washed up goalies to back up Talbot, you'd be better off grabbing Pavelec, Niemi, or Halak. (Again, not good options, just better than Ward, who, again, is terrible.)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pretty sure they’ll be signing Mikko Koskinen so we’ll see how it goes. I think it’s a pretty good bet, great size and very Athletic. Also has the pedigree of being the #1 goalie for the best team outside of the NHL.
If this doesn't happen, I'd be all over the Oilers scooping up Neuvirth out of Philly this summer, if possible. He can't stay healthy for the life of him, but at 2.5m with UFA looming, he and Talbot could duke it out all year for starts. Some healthy competition would be a nice way to put some fire under their asses.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
If this doesn't happen, I'd be all over the Oilers scooping up Neuvirth out of Philly this summer, if possible. He can't stay healthy for the life of him, but at 2.5m with UFA looming, he and Talbot could duke it out all year for starts. Some healthy competition would be a nice way to put some fire under their asses.

Yeah, let's sign another back-up goalie who can't stay healthy.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Actually, we'd be trading for him. But he's more of a 1B than a backup.

I agree he'd be better than Montoya but the health thing is a huge red flag for me. If Montoya was going the other way in a trade I suppose I could get behind it but I'd rather go the Koskinen route tbh.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I agree he'd be better than Montoya but the health thing is a huge red flag for me. If Montoya was going the other way in a trade I suppose I could get behind it but I'd rather go the Koskinen route tbh.
Montoya's contract can be buried entirely in Bakersfield next season. I see no need to have him moved out. Three capable NHL goaltenders next year is preferable to the one we carried for the majority of this past season.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Montoya is destined for the AHL next year as a veteran mentor to whatever young goalie we have starting there. After the year end pressers there's no way he's Talbots backup. And honestly I'm ok with this, never hurts for some goaltending depth in case of injuries.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
A year ago today Talbot was being talked about over McDavid as this teams MVP and now after a season where the entire team looked bad we are talking about replacing him? Yeesh this is embarrassing to read.

I'm not sure this is accurate. Almost every post in this thread is about a back-up we can count on & push for playing time. Nothing embarrassing about that IMO.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure this is accurate. Almost every post in this thread is about a back-up we can count on & push for playing time. Nothing embarrassing about that IMO.

We all have slightly different definitions of accurate. :D

Nobody is saying trade Talbot. But please have a backup that can play an extended period. Brossoit went 3-4 when Talbot was out. Gotta wonder if the team rushed talbot just a little, but he seemed like he turned it around by the end of the season. Which Talbot will we see next year?

Want an upgrade over Montoya =/= replacing Talbot.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Add Dubnyk to the list of ****ty Oilers defence casualties. There's no a goalie in the league that could do well with plugs like Benning and Auvitu out there. Not to mention an injured and horrible Klefbom this year and an injured Sekera.
I am pretty sure Benning was here last year when Talbot was very good?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I am pretty sure Benning was here last year when Talbot was very good?
A sheltered Benning playing as a 6/7 d man splitting time with Gryba and playing behind 5 other solid D men. Take away a healthy Sekera and a healthy/not shitty Klefbom and Benning doesn't get carried as an NHLer that he's not.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
As much as we lament Dubnyk turning into an all-star on another team while we've had so much trouble having great goaltending it's sort of funny to see Dubnyk show his true colours when the playoffs roll around every year.
Elimination game today and let's in 3 pretty weak goals in the first 8 shots and gets pulled after the 1st. (That 4th goal wasn't his fault)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
According to Finnish Iltalehti, Mikko Koskinen will play for Edmonton Oilers next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad