The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VII: An Ode to the Sanity of Silverfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My model is doing great except for completely whiffing on Washington.

I have to make some sort of adjustment there.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Problem with the eye test #69 trillion: I believe that just existing on the ice more than your peers, even if you don't contribute, improves your perception due to the availability heuristic.

Players are actually rated by ice time. And I don't mean using TOI as an argument and appealing to coaches. I mean players are literally perceived according to TOI to a significant extent.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This, in turn, creates a massive problem with coaching.

In baseball there's no time. Basketball and soccer players play the whole game. Impact football players play every down. Hockey is unique in its shared time.

Coaches are making TOI decisions and then subconsciously making judgements based on their own decisions. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where a coach confirms his own wrong beliefs through his own minutes distribution. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

If a player gets more/less ice time than he deserves, you can't expect it to change, because the TOI is going to make the coach see what he wants to see.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This, in turn, creates a massive problem with coaching.

In baseball there's no time. Basketball and soccer players play the whole game. Impact football players play every down. Hockey is unique in its shared time.

Coaches are making TOI decisions and then subconsciously making judgements based on their own decisions. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where a coach confirms his own wrong beliefs through his own minutes distribution. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

If a player gets more/less ice time than he deserves, you can't expect it to change, because the TOI is going to make the coach see what he wants to see.

Reactions: Machinehead

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Zib, Mika. The 1st one gives me hope.

hVtfJFZ.png

But then....

pkXnM5s.png

Brutal. Thoughts......

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You're comparing 5v5 relCF% to 5v5 assists? I'm confused.

I'm using 2 sources of information to try and predict how good he might be going forward.

The 'analytics' say he helps drive the play up ice. But then you look at his even strength assists and it's clear he has a hard time making plays that contribute to goals at even strength. He needs to produce more at Even Strength. Those apple totals at even strenght are a yuge red flag that he might not ever be the offensive player we hope.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Anyone got any thoughts on the penalties drawn stat?

In a sense its a stat I love since a significant portion of the penalties taken -- should -- come from forced defensive breakdowns. And if there is anything you want its players that can do just that, force defensive breakdowns. But looking at the players at the top of the ranking of minors/60 -- there are so many pests there, before the Barzals and co start to show up.

The total minors drawn are a lot better with Barzal 2, Gaudreau 4, Kuch 5, Hischer 6, Trocheck 7 and co forth, but looking at totals are of course a bit tricky since far from everyone play the same and there are injuries etc.

Isn't this stat calibrated? Is it clouded by a lot of roughing minors were the pest and some other guy get one each?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm using 2 sources of information to try and predict how good he might be going forward.

The 'analytics' say he helps drive the play up ice. But then you look at his even strength assists and it's clear he has a hard time making plays that contribute to goals at even strength. He needs to produce more at Even Strength. Those apple totals at even strenght are a yuge red flag that he might not ever be the offensive player we hope.
This is a really weird analysis that I'm not entirely sure how to respond to.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is a really weird analysis that I'm not entirely sure how to respond to.

Corsi says Zibanejad drives play up the ice. He's a top6 NHL center, hes's supposed to do that. You'd also expect an offensively talented, play-driving centericeman like him to rack up the assists and help setup goals. That hasn't been the case for his entire career. I am not saying there is a statistical correlation between CF%/RelCF% and Even Strength assists or anything (i have no clue if there is, don't really care).

There is nothing to analyze or compute. I am relaying some info I found and was asking for thoughts. To me, this is a red flag.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Corsi says Zibanejad drives play up the ice. He's a top6 NHL center, hes's supposed to do that. You'd also expect an offensively talented, play-driving centericeman like him to rack up the assists and help setup goals. That hasn't been the case for his entire career. I am not saying there is a statistical correlation between CF%/RelCF% and Even Strength assists or anything (i have no clue if there is, don't really care).

There is nothing to analyze or compute. I am relaying some info I found and was asking for thoughts.
But the bolded is exactly what you are implying.

I know you asked for thoughts. These are my thoughts :)

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
But the bolded is exactly what you are implying.

I know you asked for thoughts. These are my thoughts :)

I guess I'll pull your teeth. Are his even strength assists and production in general, a red flag to you? Is there anything to suggest it will improve?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Since 12-13, Zib's rookie season, he is 151st of 202 players playing 4000 min or more in Primary assists per 60. 117th in overall assists per 60.

But he has been very good at generating shot assists, as a Ranger at least. We don't have the data to look back past 16-17.
upload_2018-5-16_13-45-32.png

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That line doesn't have a real finisher. Kreider is another one who should have more points than he does and Buchnevich's shot is a marshmallow.

But I do think that line will produce more under a coach that lets them volume shoot.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
That line doesn't have a real finisher. Kreider is another one who should have more points than he does and Buchnevich's shot is a marshmallow.

But I do think that line will produce more under a coach that lets them volume shoot.
so you’re saying we should put vesey on that line?

16 goals on the “fourth” line :naughty:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm actually interested to see if Vesey isn't cancerous in a different role.
Yeah, after making that post jokingly, I wonder if he’d be a good fit for those guys. He’s a decent finisher, and playing with Zbad and Kreider should put him in a position to get a lot of chances to bury.

Maybe he could be useful as a passenger with those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad