Boston Bruins The 4th Line Dilemma

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I guess the Leafs should be really concerned based on this, you know, running a forward group with no less than five 2nd year forwards.
You need to add up the draft position of Mathews, Marner and Nylander just to get to Debrusk’s 14th overall let alone near Bjork at 146.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You need to add up the draft position of Mathews, Marner and Nylander just to get to Debrusk’s 14th overall let alone near Bjork at 146.

What's your point?

Draft position ultimately means nothing. But I forget sometimes this is HF Boards where draft position is king.

What about Brown and Hyman? Why leave those two out?

All I'm illustrating is running a line-up of 4-5 young forwards shouldn't be a concern, provided those young players can play at the NHL level and produce. If they can play, they can play, regardless of their ages.

I also illustrated in another post how the Leafs have used those 5 young forwards in conjunction with their veterans to get the most out of them and put them in positions to succeed.

No one said Pastrnak/Bjork/Spooner were equal to Matthews/Nylander/Marner.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What's your point?

Draft position ultimately means nothing. But I forget sometimes this is HF Boards where draft position is king.

All I'm illustrating is running a line-up of 4-5 young forwards shouldn't be a concern, provided those young players can play at the NHL level and produce. If they can play, they can play, regardless of their ages.

I also illustrated in another post how the Leafs have used those 5 young forwards in conjunction with their veterans to get the most out of them and put them in positions to succeed.

Sure

the blank

Oct 28, 2005
I also like Nash. I'm pleased he will center the 4th line this season.

Its hard not to chuckle reading posts that have Nash as the 13th or 14th forward. Meanwhile Cassidy is planning to send him out there for 3 minutes of pp time and 5 mins of pk on top of his regular shift. Nash's biggest problem is his coaches seem to develop this almost irrational confidence in him being successful in any situation despite his obvious limitations as a finisher. Call it Chris Kelly syndrome.
Is there even a Riley Nash thread? I've gotta find it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm all in on these 4

Vatrano
Nash
Acciari
Kuraly

Nash believe it or not is a great fit here

Vatrano can find himself here and has good wheels, showed tenacity in providence, and is a legit scorer

Acciari plays all 200 feet and excellent body checker

Kuraly lot to like

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What's your point?

I am the biggest advocate of draft position is quite important and other then Boston the last 10 Stanley Cups went to teams with multiple top 5 picks

This revelation hurts because now I have to make hockey my 4th sport and elevate basketball

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Off topic, but I've noticed that you mix up "your" and "you're" a lot and say "would of" instead of "would have".

(I'm a bit of a grammar nazi.)

I do mix them up a lot, no doubt, especially the "you're" and "your"

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
How
I do mix them up a lot, no doubt, especially the "you're" and "your"

Not important, but how is this possible?

"I went to your hockey game last night" isn't "I went to you are hockey game last night."

"I think you're a good hockey player" is "I think you are a good hockey player."

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How

Not important, but how is this possible?

"I went to your hockey game last night" isn't "I went to you are hockey game last night."

"I think you're a good hockey player" is "I think you are a good hockey player."

Sloppiness/laziness, plain and simple.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If you have a 3rd line that can push the play, possess the puck and score, that’s different from a grinding line, but no less effective.

The initial question I asked still remains. Why can’t you have a 4th line that does a little bit of everything? Put three guys out there with different skill sets that compliment one another. And while I get the PK angle to rest the Top 6, many of the B’s young players are capable defensive players that can contribute more offensively than your traditional 4th liner

No one with zero offensive skill should be playing in the modern day NHL IMO. I haven't read the entire thread, but I also think the amount of skill you have in the bottom two lines is indicative of organizational depth. In a perfect world, someone like Debrusk is my prototypical "bottom six" player as of right now, given his skillset and development. Someone who goes to the net, responsible two way player, can provide secondary scoring and has the potential to move up in the lineup. Kuraly would be my prototypical 4th line center. Skillset to be successful there with the potential to move up.

For me, you incorporate as many young players as you can into the bottom six as soon as they've proven to be capable defensively (capable, not great). I think a veteran presence is necessary as well, but not the Yelles/Begins of the world (i.e. someone that can provide the leadership aspect without being a black hole offensively).

Definitely not a fool proof plan, but thats generally how I feel.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm all in on these 4

Vatrano
Nash
Acciari
Kuraly

Nash believe it or not is a great fit here

Vatrano can find himself here and has good wheels, showed tenacity in providence, and is a legit scorer

Acciari plays all 200 feet and excellent body checker

Kuraly lot to like

Kuraly is the perfect depth player IMO. He is a perfect 4th liner with speed in today's NHL. If there is an in game injury he can also move up to the 3rd line for short periods and fit in nicely because of how fast he is.

Reactions: DKH

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Kuraly is the perfect depth player IMO. He is a perfect 4th liner with speed in today's NHL. If there is an in game injury he can also move up to the 3rd line for short periods and fit in nicely because of how fast he is.
He also seemingly has the skillset to potentially be more than a 4th line player. I think thats important.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He also seemingly has the skillset to potentially be more than a 4th line player. I think thats important.

Exactly. I haven't seen enough from him, but he seems to have pretty good hands as well. Not so sure how his shooting and passing is though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad