Prospect Info: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If we end up missing and draft ~15, who are you guys honing in on? Haven't been following too closely outside of reading some prospect threads on the main boards - here is Bob McKenzie's rankings from a couple months ago:

1680134990049.png

Looks like lots of good looking forwards are in range for us. I'd be pretty excited about Reinbacher as well if he fell to us and we grabbed him

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Orville Redenbacher or Pellikka, both project to be T4, I think Reinbacher has more upside but I think he goes earlier. Someone will drop, some D will go early so for forwards, Moore might be there and has a motor that doesn’t quit. I think Danielson might also be a dandy. I think he can be a Bergeron lite 2C.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Let's keep our fingers crossed we can get FLA's 1st for PLD. Two really good players in this draft would be nice.

A C as well as a D?
Gabe Perreault really stands out to me just casually looking at production - picking up a guy like that with an extra first from trades could be nice.

He's ranked as a late first in most publications and has 108 points in 53 games so far in the USDP U18 team - McGroarty only had 69 points in his draft year.

1680142536502.png

1680142567291.png

It would be kinda funny if he became a big player for us using a pick from Montreal, seeing as he's from Quebec.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Let's keep our fingers crossed we can get FLA's 1st for PLD. Two really good players in this draft would be nice.

A C as well as a D?
Wonder if we could peel away Washington’s pick (11ish) with FeFe @50%? They gotta be pushing hard for Ovi to break the scoring record. With the rumors of Kuzy lately, maybe they would look at getting a C like Scheifele.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Charlie Stramel was a guy I was focusing on for a while (thinking he would be a late first round pick). If we win the Cup then that’s my pick.

If we miss the playoffs I was thinking David

Reinbacher.​

So it’s either miss the playoffs or win the cup. Either David or Charlie. Anything in between in not acceptable.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Seems there’s a real lack of RHD’s worth taking in 1st round? I see Cameron Allen, Maxim Strbak and Lukas Dragicevic. According to Bob McKenzie’s mid-season ranks… they’re all late 1st/early 2nd round prospects.

Any others I’m missing?

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Seems like a lot of good centres this year. With PLD gone and Scheifele's future up in the air we NEED to do whatever it takes to grab a C in the 1st round.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Seems like a lot of good centres this year. With PLD gone and Scheifele's future up in the air we NEED to do whatever it takes to grab a C in the 1st round.
Can never have too many Centres. But have you looked at the RHD and Goalie depth?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
What a relief to have a thread that provides a bit of hope.

Anyone new looks good to me after this season.

Looking forward to reading up on some of these prospective prospects and takes from the usual suspects who provide so much good info and hunches on these threads.

And I really, really hope that the org can swallow its pride and become smart sellers at this year's draft.

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Can never have too many Centres. But have you looked at the RHD and Goalie depth?
Dom in North Bay is going be our next Helle. We do need RHD but going into the offseason with Lowry potentially penciled in as our #1 C if PLD and Scheifele are moved(which seems likely at this point) is beyond frightening lol. We have like ZERO down our pipeline for centres. Not convinced Perfetti is an NHL centre either.

Last edited:

Robert Marvin

Feb 27, 2023
I don't know who Jean-Charles Lajoie (some Habs insider I suppose) but here it is:

Duboise to Montreal for the

14th pick in 2023
2nd round pick 2024 or Riley Kidney or Oliver Kapanen
Jayden Struble or Adam Engstrom

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I don't know who Jean-Charles Lajoie (some Habs insider I suppose) but here it is:

Duboise to Montreal for the

14th pick in 2023
2nd round pick 2024 or Riley Kidney or Oliver Kapanen
Jayden Struble or Adam Engstrom
Not enough. I dont even think any of those guys are Montreal's A prospects. If were forced to deal PLD there and cant get Dach, at the very least we need their Florida 1st round pick and a guy like Owen Beck or Filip Mesar.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
What a relief to have a thread that provides a bit of hope.

Anyone new looks good to me after this season.

Looking forward to reading up on some of these prospective prospects and takes from the usual suspects who provide so much good info and hunches on these threads.

And I really, really hope that the org can swallow its pride and become smart sellers at this year's draft.
Me too.

Looking back at the first year of Jets 2.0, we had:
-4 top-6 Fs--Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, but none of them were close to PPG
-1 all-star quality D--Buff, plus a good, but not great, supporting cast (Enstrom , Bogo)
-No goaltending
-No prospect depth

Looking at next season, minus some combo of Scheifele, PLD, Wheeler Pionk, Schmidt we will have:
-4 top 6 Fs: Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti, Nido, but no top-6 C. Connor is all-star quality and Ehlers, when healthy and if given the minutes, has scored PPG
-1 Norris-level D and a young, unproven supporting cast, albeit with upside (Snerg, Heinola)
-A Vezina-quality G IF he re-signs
-A much better prospect pool
-(Back to the subject at hand...) Whatever we get in trade for our expendable players, which will be an impressive array of players, prospects and draft picks. A center will have to be included.
-If Helle leaves we will be no worse off than our first season here, but with much, much more in the prospect pool thanks to multiple high picks and trades at the draft

I'm ready to start over, if that's what it takes to clear the stench and give the fan base hope for the future. Are you, Mark?

Last edited:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Dom in North Bay is going be our next Helle. We do need RW but going into the offseason with Lowry potentially penciled in as our #1 C if PLD and Scheifele are moved(which seems likely at this point) is beyond frightening lol. We have like ZERO down our pipeline for centres. Not convinced Perfetti is an NHL centre either.
I get what you’re saying. BUT, there’s a lot of guys with “potential” to play C… Perfetti, Lucius, Zhilkin, Lambert, Nikkanen.

Jets RHD prospects are basically Gawanke and Salomonsson. Unless you want to put Heinola on his off-side, but he’s not right handed.

RHD is this teams biggest weakness. Both on the Jets and prospect pool.

Dom could be a diamond in the rough… but I wouldn’t be banking my Goalie depth on a 7th rounder.

Reactions: Robert Marvin

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I get what you’re saying. BUT, there’s a lot of guys with “potential” to play C… Perfetti, Lucius, Zhilkin, Lambert, Nikkanen.

Jets RHD prospects are basically Gawanke and Salomonsson. Unless you want to put Heinola on his off-side, but he’s not right handed.

RHD is this teams biggest weakness. Both on the Jets and prospect pool.

Dom could be a diamond in the rough… but I wouldn’t be banking my Goalie depth on a 7th rounder.
All those guys you mentioned are very much question marks at C at the NHL level. We have nobody in our prospect pool that is a sure fire top 6 centre. I get that RHD is a big need but come the offseason our centre depth could(and probably will) be an absolute catastrophe in short order.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I’d definitely be looking at Dragicevic with one pick and if we got a second 1st, hopefully a centre but not sure who.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad