Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I look at Klimovich and then I look at Stankoven and how much I wanted him at that spot at the draft… I feel vindicated and disheartened at the same time.
Yep.....vintage Benning Canucks.....Stankoven was born and raised in Kamloops, and spent his entire WHL career with his home-town Blazers.

The last time I looked, Kamloops was three and half hours up Highway One.....instead the Canucks draft a guy from Belarus, based on nothing more than scoring a lot of garbage goals for an overmatched Belarus team in the World Jr. Hockey championships.

It's the reason Dallas is where they're at; and where the Canucks were at under the previous regime.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I remember several posters here (perhaps MS the loudest) advocating for Stankoven.

Relating to that, who are our WHL scouts now?

Dallas has done an admirable job drafting from the WHL.

Reactions: vanuck

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I remember several posters here (perhaps MS the loudest) advocating for Stankoven.

Relating to that, who are our WHL scouts now?

Dallas has done an admirable job drafting from the WHL.

Lets take a look back at our 2021 Draft Thread full of an insane amount of things that A) were bang on assessments and B) foreshadowed the pain yet to endure:

Before our pick:
Stankoven. All day every day here.

Its Stankoven

Immediately after the pick:

Why not Stankoven?!!!! or one of the finns

I would have done this senators trade down. Damn.

Not happy with that pick with Stankoven on the board.

I don't mind Klimovich on a move down into the 50s but seems high here.

Don’t love this pick. Feel like we’ll be talking about Stankoven for a long time.

Lazy drafting by Benning as expected. The lean scouting department is going to kill this franchise over the next few years.

This draft keeps getting worse.

Thanks Benning

He was watching the U18. Saw Danila Klimovich get a hatrick and decided on him.

I watched Logan Stankoven in the WHL 2 years ago. Stood out and was relentless on the puck...Sigh. This franchise keeps missing out on guys in their backyard.

Stankhoven, Pinelli and Chibrikov were all up at our pick. Morrow goes one before us, meaning if we had lost one more game (and not made one of/the worst trade in franchise history) we'd have had our pick of Eklund/Clarke and then Morrow and the rest.

I'll reserve judgment on who we went with but we passed on some guys that will hurt if Klimovich doesn't land.

*cry* Stankoven goes to Dallas... *sigh*

A Swing and a Miss, as turns out we could draft better than the professionals:
I love how 99% of you know absolutely nothing about Klimovich but you automatically hate him and think it’s a horrible pick. Look I dislike Benning more than anyone but this is ridiculous.

“OMG it’s so hard to be a fan of this team!!”

stfu

Then the discussion continues with even more correct assessments:
Hey, I wanted Garland!

Stankoven was the big faller in this draft - top-10 talent who can fly, has a massive motor and finishing skills and went 45th because he is short.

Potato had him #15. It has Martino higher, but that is because it is blind to his skating issues.

Potato picks still on the board (I think):

Ayrton Martino
Ryder Korczak
Brenden Sirizzotti
Logan Stankoven
Joshua Roy
Olivier Nadeau

Stankoven will be better. There ya go.

We are going to miss Brackett so bad.

The effect has been stunning and immediate IMO.

Called my shot and looking like we'll have two 07' calibre drafts 2020/2021:
We could have a few 07' events on our hands.

More correct predictions:
Assuming Rathbone and Podkolzin graduate our prospect pool mid-season will be the worst in the NHL (easily) and the worst in the history of the franchise.

We’ll have to trade more picks to get rid of Holtby.

That’s funny, I was going to predict that they waste this pick on a goalie but got distracted.

5 rounds in they have added 0 defenders and 0 centres to a system that already had nothing at either position, which are usually considered the two most important.

All in all we had seen enough of Jim and John to know that things were never going to be better and they had just made the worst trade in the salary cap era. Everyone is just in a totally justified pit of despair in this thread its actually quite dark to look back on. If only we know there was still 6 months of Benning.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I sympathize with posters who want to look back in lament and some of the lame-brained picks from the previous regime. But what's the point of torturing yourself?

That was then, and this is now. Allvin and Rutherford won't always make the right picks. Nobody does. But I have complete confidence they won't outright 'whiff' as often as the last guys in the executive suite.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lets take a look back at our 2021 Draft Thread full of an insane amount of things that A) were bang on assessments and B) foreshadowed the pain yet to endure:

Before our pick:

All in all we had seen enough of Jim and John to know that things were never going to be better and they had just made the worst trade in the salary cap era. Everyone is just in a totally justified pit of despair in this thread its actually quite dark to look back on. If only we know there was still 6 months of Benning.

So much vindication and yet also so much pain. :facepalm:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Wow someone should give this MS guy a scouting job

I legitimately hate being correct about this shit. All of it just completely avoidable and we could be in such a better position to be a juggernaut by just firing these clowns a year sooner.
It really is wild how much damage was done to this organization by Aquillini sitting on his hands for year and letting Jim make desperation moves when the writing was already on the wall. f*** that guy.

Reactions: vanuck and bh53

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Before our pick:

But hindsight

Could’ve walked away with Guenther/Clarke/Eklund and Morrow/Stankoven/Iorio that year. FFS
Yeah but we got out of Eriksson Beagle and Roussells contracts that all you Benning haters whined about!

• Haha
Reactions: quat

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I legitimately hate being correct about this shit. All of it just completely avoidable and we could be in such a better position to be a juggernaut by just firing these clowns a year sooner.

And for the record, I don't think I actually said anything crazy smart or insightful there. It's just that what was happening was *so bad* and so obviously bad that literally anything looks brilliant by comparison.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I sympathize with posters who want to look back in lament and some of the lame-brained picks from the previous regime. But what's the point of torturing yourself?

That was then, and this is now. Allvin and Rutherford won't always make the right picks. Nobody does. But I have complete confidence they won't outright 'whiff' as often as the last guys in the executive suite.
It's less torture and more continuing to show the minority that want to praise Benning for "building this team" that anything he built he did in spite of his incompetence rather than by any deliberate action.

Reactions: vanuck and quat

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I hope they don't rush him into the lineup. Have to give him time to acclimate to his new teammates, different ice size and the smell of cow shit randomly as you go around city. (Not necessarily in that order)
throw him in and it's not the Wack, that's where the real shit is.

Ironically the meat eating dudes that slag cow shit...........

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope they don't rush him into the lineup. Have to give him time to acclimate to his new teammates, different ice size and the smell of cow shit randomly as you go around city. (Not necessarily in that order)
You're kidding me, right? Have you been watching this Abbotsford blueline lately?

Throw D-Petey off the deep-end if you have to. He can't be any worse than most of the guys they're trotting out on defense these days.

The only way he's going to acclimatize himself to hockey on the smaller NA rinks is to play. That's what your AHL farm-team is supposed to be all about.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're kidding me, right? Have you been watching this Abbotsford blueline lately?

Throw D-Petey off the deep-end if you have to. He can't be any worse than most of the guys they're trotting out on defense these days.

The only way he's going to acclimatize himself to hockey on the smaller NA rinks is to play. That's what your AHL farm-team is supposed to be all about.

He’s 19 and has been playing in an ECHL level league. He’s almost certainly worse than age 23-25 guys with much more experience at higher levels. Or a 10-year NHL veteran in Irwin.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria

Hmm...no...absolutely NO.

"He can't be any worse than most of the guys" has nothing to do with his future impact for the NHL team and how he develops as an NHL defenseman.

There are ZERO f@cks given about how he affects the Abby blue line and playoff chances.

Him and Lekki are coming over to get acquainted...not make an impact UNLESS they show they can dominate...but that is not the expectation.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hmm...no...absolutely NO.

"He can't be any worse than most of the guys" has nothing to do with his future impact for the NHL team and how he develops as an NHL defenseman.

There are ZERO f@cks given about how he affects the Abby blue line and playoff chances.

Him and Lekki are coming over to get acquainted...not make an impact UNLESS they show they can dominate...but that is not the expectation.
So why bother bringing him to Abbotsford at all? It's not like the guy's been playing Jr. B. hockey all season The Allsvenskan may be the equivalent of the ECHL, I have no idea.

But to me it would be pointless to have him practicing and playing every second or third game and getting eight minutes a night. He needs to find out in a hurry where he's at with NA pros.

If he struggles, then he'll learn in a hurry what he needs to work on. It'll make him a much better player at training camp next September.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad