The 2019-20 Tank Command Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
At the time of the trade, Karlsson was a franchise player who had question marks because of previous injuries. He was a year removed from one of the greatest playoff runs a single player has had in this current era of hockey. After that run, it was established that there was Crosby, McDavid, and Karlsson as the top 3 players in the league.

San Jose got Karlsson for as cheap (at the time) as they did for two reasons:
1) Teams were afraid to pay for Karlsson after a bad season where he looked to have had issues from his previous injury.
2) In response to Karlsson claiming he'd "get what he's worth", Dorion and co botched the handling of the Karlsson trade and turned it into a public soap opera that made it abundantly clear that Karlsson wasn't going to stay. They only sidetracked after the deadline with the weird "We'll offer him a contract on July 1st because we totally can't talk about a contract before then or else Ottawa Radio guys have to pay the NHLPA fine for us even know multiple credible people like Pierre Lebrun have consulted with Bill Daly and confirmed that we can in fact discuss a contract with Erik Karlsson prior to July 1st".

Our prospects from the deal are getting way overrated. Well, at least in relation to Karlsson's upside at the time of the trade.

Could Balcers and Norris be strong 2nd or 3rd line forwards that help contribute to the next re-iteration of this team? Sure. How difficult is it to find 2nd or 3rd line forwards in a cap league where teams can only spend so much, which forces talent redistribution? It's not easy, but it's not that hard compared to finding a franchise defender who can play nearly 30 minutes a night and produce at a level from the backend not seen in decades.

The most impressive aspect of the trade was the double unprotected pick. It was the only realistic thing in the trade that would sufficiently hurt San Jose and allow the Senators an opportunity to "win" the Karlsson trade. No other team could provide the Senators the opportunity to have two cracks at a team missing the playoffs. Only because San Jose already dealt a protected 1st rounder to Buffalo was this opportunity available.

Ultimately, if San Jose finishes 2nd from the bottom, it looks like Dorion is going to end up with one of the most valuable packages any player has garnered in the cap era. That mostly rests on the value of the San Jose pick. If you want to purely judge by results, Dorion is a genius. If you want to judge by process, there were a lot of mis-steps along the way.

The trade was a perfectly fine gamble for San Jose to take. Back in the summer o 2018, it was not reasonable to predict that San Jose would be this bad in 2020. Miss the playoffs? Sure. Finish low enough to get the Senators a top 5 or 6 pick before even considering the lottery? No.

Karlsson was playing like a franchise player for San Jose for a big chunk of last season. That's the part that is missed in the narrative here when people evaluate the trade and re-signing from San Jose's point of view.

San Jose's gamble with the trade was reasonable. The re-signing was a bigger gamble, but it's very difficult to walk away from a player who has the potential to play the way Karlsson did for chunks of last year with San Jose. When a team is bad, usually, everybody looks bad. It's way too early to call Karlsson Wade Redden.

Intra-team spousal cyber bullying didn’t help the trade either.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think we all know Caryk did it. You would not see all the other WAGs line up behind karlssons for no reason. That whole **** show was surely a factor in the trade.
Of course not. Hockey WAGs are amongst the most honourable citizens in society, no clicks or anything there. I wonder if Melinda showed them the evidence that she had. I mean she went to court so that she wouldn’t have to show it to Caryk. We should all take our lead in how to think from them. Perhaps next election I’ll ask the real housewives of Beverly Hills who I should vote for.

Pinto22

Dec 31, 2019
Man these ufas are playing lights out. Amazing what humans can do when they really want something (new contract)

It's a tank recipe for disaster having so many of them on your team.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So it appears the Sens are trying to prevent losing any quality young players in the expansion draft. Why they are leaving guys down and filling up the roster with nobodies? By the time the expansion draft comes around our young guy might have to be exposed if they play too many games.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So it appears the Sens are trying to prevent losing any quality young players in the expansion draft. Why they are leaving guys down and filling up the roster with nobodies? By the time the expansion draft comes around our young guy might have to be exposed if they play too many games.
Don’t think it matters whether they’re in the AHL or not, as long as it’s a pro contract.

Pinto22

Dec 31, 2019
The pens are absolutely dominating the sharks lol literally the only way to explain it is what the panthers are doing to us as we speak. Commanding the play.

Sharks just look broken.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Pinto22

Dec 31, 2019
What an absolute dive by couture. Holy shit lol watch that and you'll laugh.... He's exhausted and you can see him thinking "if he even comes close to my skate I'm falling"

Pinto22

Dec 31, 2019
Don't let this sharks win fool you. They got absolutely dominated in the visual test. Watched the game from beginning to end.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I am legitimately interested in knowing, from those who are still disappointed that Karlsson was traded, what would you give up in a trade TODAY if the Sharks called and said "give us your best offer for Karlsson"?

What would it take to get him back, bearing in mind the cap and money going back both ways to make it fair?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I am legitimately interested in knowing, from those who are still disappointed that Karlsson was traded, what would you give up in a trade TODAY if the Sharks called and said "give us your best offer for Karlsson"?

What would it take to get him back, bearing in mind the cap and money going back both ways to make it fair?

You do know its healthy for franchise to have a player for his career and retire with that team rather than trading them off prior to pay day. Karlsson playing in another jersey regardless of the return unless its Alexis Lafreniere will always be a shitstain on this teams legacy, just like Alfie playing that season in detroit.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sens are tanking

It's brilliant. Let the scrubs get caved in and let the prospects do well in the ahl

Dorion got a boner from watching laf at the world juniors for sure

Pinto22

Dec 31, 2019

Nothing.... His contract is awful. We have a cheap owner and taking him back will handcuff us to sign guys like Tkachuk and whoever we get with these two high picks this draft. He also is not as good as he use to be.... He has half an ankle. I would take him for free.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Damn no help from Pens. A shame Sharks played them tonight and not later in the season. Crosby would have been back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad