The 2019-20 Tank Command Thread - Part 2: The Tank is back on?: 30th place | 69.8pt projection

2019-20 Tankathon: Who are the tanking teams

• ANA

• ARI

• BOS

• BUF

• CGY

• COL

• CBJ

• DAL

• DET

• EDM

• FLA

• LAK

• MIN

• MTL

• NSH

• NJD

• NYI

• NYR

• PHI

• PIT

• SJS

• STL

• TBL

• TOR

• VAN

• VGK

• WSH

• WPG

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Tkachuk is a one of a kind player, he might never put up "elite" offensive numbers but what he brings is much more valuable to a contending team than points. Once this team becomes more competitive and hopefully one day a playoff contender, a guy like Tkachuk will be invaluable.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Tkachuk is a one of a kind player, he might never put up "elite" offensive numbers but what he brings is much more valuable to a contending team than points. Once this team becomes more competitive and hopefully one day a playoff contender, a guy like Tkachuk will be invaluable.

he reminds me of Adam Deadmarsh a good player but not a franchise cornerstone

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
With how good some of the Belleville players are doing, I’m worried that they’re going to get the call-up after TDL and mess up the tank.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
With how good some of the Belleville players are doing, I’m worried that they’re going to get the call-up after TDL and mess up the tank.
Lol you think Belleville guys are going to come up and light the world on fire?

The guys that are already up here like Logan brown chlapik and whoever else have been called up have done okay but nowhere near enough to be difference makers or game breakers

That takes time and development. The roster is too weak with or without those guys to be out of the bottom 5 imo

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya I would put Tkachuk and Chabot as the two high end guys for the future, but they'll need more than that. Hopefully some diamonds in the rough or still to come.

We got away from it there, but most important thing is still to tank and land as low as possible. Wins in rebuild years are overrated, only moral victories and not getting pasted nightly is needed imo.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ya I would put Tkachuk and Chabot as the two high end guys for the future, but they'll need more than that. Hopefully some diamonds in the rough or still to come.

We got away from it there, but most important thing is still to tank and land as low as possible. Wins in rebuild years are overrated, only moral victories and not getting pasted nightly is needed imo.

By high end do you mean top 3 forwards and top 2 defenders? I agree with you if that is the definition but both are not there yet. They need more development but I think they will both get there. Chabot needs to improve his defensive play and stop making high risk moves. Tkachuk needs to develop physically and hone his offensive skills.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really hope pierre takes the tank seriously and doesnt do that

I think Pierre will be instructed by his master to make the playoffs with what you have, and thus sacrifice something to get some old vets with the hope of achieving that. I hope I am wrong but given the master's nature I think it is the truth.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Pierre will be instructed by his master to make the playoffs with what you have, and thus sacrifice something to get some old vets with the hope of achieving that. I hope I am wrong but given the master's nature I think it is the truth.

Only saving grace on that is that Dorion tried to make the playoffs the last two seasons.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's perfect. They're generally playing well with only the lack of talent hurting them, which is exactly what drafting top-2 is meant to solve. Now, do this two years in a row and we are gold baby.

(disclaimer: this is only if Melnyk either opens up his wallet or sells the team and we keep all of this new talent long term)
Add a third year to that and I would be giddy with anticipation.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
You guys are being overly dramatic. Last year if I recall (maybe two seasons ago), they sent players down to help the B-Sens make the playoffs because they were close.

If after the trade deadline this team is out of the playoffs by a good amount and Belleville is in or close, I would expect Dorion to do the opposite and actually send guys like Brown, Brannstrom and Chlapik down to help them rather then waste them up with the big club, thus ensuring that we lose more games and hopefully finish bottom 3.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
we definitely lack talent, that's not an insult it's just reality for a rebuilding team. it will get better when balcers, batherson, first pick next year, etc, get inserted

The "rebuild" strategy is really part and parcel of the "cost-cutting" strategy. It is what you say (PR spin) when you are doing what you want (trying to improve the bottom line).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
By high end do you mean top 3 forwards and top 2 defenders? I agree with you if that is the definition but both are not there yet. They need more development but I think they will both get there. Chabot needs to improve his defensive play and stop making high risk moves. Tkachuk needs to develop physically and hone his offensive skills.
I just mean I think they'll be high end enough to be considered part of the future core of top contributors. I completely agree that more development is needed out of both of them and I think Tkachuk particularly will need other top end players to play with to be at his best. Either way, I see 2 core players so far and the rest still needs to come from somewhere be it in the org now or still to come.

I want that high superstar pick out of this season more than anything, I don't think results during rebuild years matter as much as some play up.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
You guys are being overly dramatic. Last year if I recall (maybe two seasons ago), they sent players down to help the B-Sens make the playoffs because they were close.

If after the trade deadline this team is out of the playoffs by a good amount and Belleville is in or close, I would expect Dorion to do the opposite and actually send guys like Brown, Brannstrom and Chlapik down to help them rather then waste them up with the big club, thus ensuring that we lose more games and hopefully finish bottom 3.

Wouldn't mind sending Andy down to help bingo too lol.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
So? I know hes a great player but there is more to determining a prospect than points. Ask Rob Schremp and Corey Locke.

Big elite # C are the hardest players to find. No question Byfield is in the conversation for first overall

Not that you are wrong, but there have been times where a winger is selected over the centre man simply because at the time, they were determined to be the best player in the draft.

Off the top of my head:

2001- Kovalchuk over Spezza
2004- Ovechkin over Malkin
2007- Kane and JVR over Turris
2010- Hall over Seguin
2012- Yakopov over Galchenyuk

May be more, but from the above, save for Yakupov over Galchenyuk, most of the wingers taken 1st overall probably deserved to be.

Edit: Also, Schremp and Locke were never ranked that high to begin with, so not a very good example to be honest. The experts knew what type of players they were, and in Locke's case, was he not drafted much later on?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Not that you are wrong, but there have been times where a winger is selected over the centre man simply because at the time, they were determined to be the best player in the draft.

Off the top of my head:

2001- Kovalchuk over Spezza
2004- Ovechkin over Malkin
2007- Kane and JVR over Turris
2010- Hall over Seguin
2012- Yakopov over Galchenyuk

May be more, but from the above, save for Yakupov over Galchenyuk, most of the wingers taken 1st overall probably deserved to be.

Edit: Also, Schremp and Locke were never ranked that high to begin with, so not a very good example to be honest. The experts knew what type of players they were, and in Locke's case, was he not drafted much later on?

Some valid points but for me Lafreniere and Byfield are in he same tier. Lafreniere isn't a tier above like the guys you mentioned at the draft .

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Some valid points but for me Lafreniere and Byfield are in he same tier. Lafreniere isn't a tier above like the guys you mentioned at the draft .

It will come down to which team is picking first. If New Jersey somehow, dreadfully, ends up picking first then you can bet on them taking Lafreniere with Hischier and Hughes recently added to their prospect pools. On the other hand I could see a team like Detroit taking Byfield, L.A I am not sure as they still have a good #1 centre in Kopitar but he is on the wrong side of 30 now.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It will come down to which team is picking first. If New Jersey somehow, dreadfully, ends up picking first then you can bet on them taking Lafreniere with Hischier and Hughes recently added to their prospect pools. On the other hand I could see a team like Detroit taking Byfield, L.A I am not sure as they still have a good #1 centre in Kopitar but he is on the wrong side of 30 now.

I wouldn't be so sure, drafting on need is a mistake. They may deem Byfield is BPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad