GDT: The 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs ( All General Talk )

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Part of me wants Vegas to cap off the cinderella season, but Ovy deserves a cup.

I'm so torn on this final.

Vegas winning in the first year is such an incredible story and doing it on the back of Fleury just makes it that much better.

On the flip side, Ovy needs a cup and I'm not sure a better opportunity for him presents itself again in his career.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Good article on the Athletic for those who have it about how hard it is to see Vegas do so well because they don’t ‘deserve’ it, granted they’ve done very well.

Still hope they lose.

EDIT: ‘deserve’ as in, haven’t suffered pain like so many fan bases to earn their victory over so many years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah. Honestly dont think Wilson should be mentioned in the same breath as Cooke either. Wilson plays hard and physical which sometimes leads to dirty hits. I think his reputation is significantly worse then what he actually is.

Cooke was an entirely different kind of dirty. He made a lot of dirty plays that weren't a results of just big hits gone wrong and IMO it was very clear a lot of the time that the things Cooke did were on purpose. I really dont think that's the case with Wilson. I think he's just a product of being big and playing a physical game sometimes going across the line.

I really, really dont think he deserved a single suspension so far in the playoffs and yet he's been suspended for 3(?) games and other people have been calling for 3-4 more suspensions.
He's been suspended three times in the last year for dangerous hits. Just because he can score doesn't mean he's any less of a thug than Cooke.
And Claude was of a different era. Today, he would be a pariah around the league. In the 90s guys like that were essential to a team, but the game has changed, and probably for the better if you ask me. I wouldn't want either player on the Avs today.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
He's been suspended three times in the last year for dangerous hits. Just because he can score doesn't mean he's any less of a thug than Cooke.
And Claude was of a different era. Today, he would be a pariah around the league. In the 90s guys like that were essential to a team, but the game has changed, and probably for the better if you ask me. I wouldn't want either player on the Avs today.

mmmm idk about all that, Cooke was a punk but Claude as bad as he was , was a monster in the playoffs.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Wow, what happened to Tampa. So many offensive weapons. It might a battle of Point against Jost in the finals in a few years. No one else seems to be up for it in Tampa. Wow.

Reactions: MacBradley

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Wow, what happened to Tampa. So many offensive weapons. It might a battle of Point against Jost in the finals in a few years. No one else seems to be up for it in Tampa. Wow.
You must really think high of Jost. Tampa was probably just overrated a bit to start with. The caps were so much better in the series

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yzerman won't look like such a genius when Tampa don't win the cup with McDonagh and his former farm team is flourishing with the Rangers.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yzerman won't look like such a genius when Tampa don't win the cup with McDonagh and his former farm team is flourishing with the Rangers.

The Lightning made out amazingly in that deal regardless of what happens. Miller is so much better then Namestnikov, and they gave up pick #29 and a pair of prospects that arguably aren't even in there Top 5 for a #2D.

They still have Raddysh, Katchouk, Cirelli, Joseph, Volkov, Stephens, Lipanov, and Yan. That's just the above average forward prospects. Howden was IMO there 4th best forward prospect behind Raddysh, Katchouk, and Cirelli.

That's not even mentioning Point or Gourde on the actual roster either. That trade was a trade the Bolts could easily afford and no matter what happens afterwards it's a trade that Yzerman was a genius to make because even the pieces he did give up weren't super expensive(Have a look at that trade thread, 90% of posts before the confirmed moving pieces were announced were talking about how Sergachev and/or Point had to be included if they were getting McDonagh AND Miller. He paid very little for a legit Top 6 forward(Something Namestnikov is not) who's still young, and a #2 Dman.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Think of it this way, if we repeat, then Brazilians will no longer be able to claim that they are the most successful Footballing nation.

And isn’t that really what all Argie’s dream of? :sarcasm:

This is true! Come on Low... I'll never make fun of your idiocy again if you pull it off.

Reactions: cgf

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Also, LETS GO CAPS! I want to see Ovechkin win the cup. Greatest goal scorer in the history of the NHL.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I’d take Wilson on Colorado without hesitation.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I enjoyed watching that game 7, and not just because the Lightning were played off the rink. Although I did like Hedman's Beauchemin clearance for the empty net goal.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Personally I'm torn on whether Vegas ultimately winning the cup (if it happens) is a phenomenal story for the NHL or if it in fact makes the NHL seem a little less credible. In my gut, I think it may be a little of both.

Reactions: MacBradley

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Personally I'm torn on whether Vegas ultimately winning the cup (if it happens) is a phenomenal story for the NHL or if it in fact makes the NHL seem a little less credible. In my gut, I think it may be a little of both.

Agreed it is both... for casuals and people who don't pay attention to hockey, it is probably the best sports story of the year and a huge, huge win for the NHL. For established fans, and especially those in Canada (Quebec specifically), the NHL looks worse. Overall, I think it is doing far more good for the NHL than bad... and hell, I'm now fully on board with Vegas winning the Cup. Might even make a trip to see a Cup game there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad