The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
What do you feel Bjugstads value is?
what i think or what gms think? because i honestly have no clue as to how hes valued around the league. i think because of his size, the old boys club thats still around, and a natural center, theres definitely takers. i dont think his value is too high though. maybe an established middle-6 winger and a 2nd? i honestly have no clue, but if we could get that id be all about it.

Reactions: kerrabria

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I think the coach and GM of any NHL club try to make decisions that improve the on-ice result, rather than engaging in behind the scenes psychological scheming at the levels of teenage girls.

We all have our different perspectives I guess.
Oh, I don't think so my dear friend.

Ever hear of the practice of appointing relatives, friends, political supporters in jobs where others are more qualified. How many quality people over the years have been passed up for hire or advancement just because they didn't know the right people or kiss enough ass. Heck, even our own Mr. Viola has skewed his hires towards former West Point cadets. Then there's our GM who thinks just about anybody he drafted is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Coaches just like employers all have their favorites and scapegoats. All it can take is something as little as a glare towards Mr. Boo by Petro after some criticism to be put on his shit list. GG couldn't stand Brickley and it's my feeling that Boo doesn't like Petro.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So just to catch up...

We like Bjugstad again, Huberdeau isn't good (to some people) and we're all agreeing with things Brokin says?

This is a weird summer
It's amazing what a lucky guess on Mascherin will do for your credibility. 0-60 in 5 years. ;)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
what i think or what gms think? because i honestly have no clue as to how hes valued around the league. i think because of his size, the old boys club thats still around, and a natural center, theres definitely takers. i dont think his value is too high though. maybe an established middle-6 winger and a 2nd? i honestly have no clue, but if we could get that id be all about it.

Ya I agree with that assessment but isn't a 2nd + middle 6 winger just another way of saying late 1st? Most middle 6 wingers can go for a late 2nd or early to mid 3rd. Would a GM be willing to give up a 1st right now, probably not but if he can put up another 45-50pt season then we could probably get that late 1st.

Depends on what team/GM would want him and whether they plan on using him at C or RW. I like the depth he provides and see him being traded when Tippett is ready to become a mainstay in the top 6.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How good is matheson? Upside? Will he ever be strong top pairing guy?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
GG couldn't stand Brickley and it's my feeling that Boo doesn't like Petro.

Considering how much Boogie mixes up the lineup in order to squeeze couple of extra points and, thus, players themselves are in charge of where the slot in or if are in the lineup in the first place. Petro should definitely be a physical force or otherwise he should increase the point totals so that Boogie doesn't take him out of the lineup. But he has a role in the team compared to Pysyk who's is not excelling neither in points or defensive assignments.

This is the one particular thing I like about Boogie, it's that he's not afraid to choose the best option regardless how unpopular it might be e.g. putting Hubs in the third line during the late stages of the season. A lot of folks are crying about it but without Barkov, he's not a point getter by himself and Boogie knows this. Going forward into the draft and FA, this team still needs premium goal scoring prowess but hopefully we already got some in Borg and Tippett.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson: 2.65 --- 59.4%

One of the Best 2 Lines in the PO, hmm maybe GF inf G on 60 Minutes doesnt mean anything.
By the Way Bjugstad had really a good Season, but still he doesnt fit in the Line. And we will see, how he is so much better next Year, if he stays with the Team.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Considering how much Boogie mixes up the lineup in order to squeeze couple of extra points and, thus, players themselves are in charge of where the slot in or if are in the lineup in the first place. Petro should definitely be a physical force or otherwise he should increase the point totals so that Boogie doesn't take him out of the lineup. But he has a role in the team compared to Pysyk who's is not excelling neither in points or defensive assignments.

This is the one particular thing I like about Boogie, it's that he's not afraid to choose the best option regardless how unpopular it might be e.g. putting Hubs in the third line during the late stages of the season. A lot of folks are crying about it but without Barkov, he's not a point getter by himself and Boogie knows this. Going forward into the draft and FA, this team still needs premium goal scoring prowess but hopefully we already got some in Borg and Tippett.
I agree Boo is not afraid to change things up with different combinations to see what works. Petro is what he is, a physical mostly stay at home player with some puck moving ability and upside to be a reasonable shutdown option. He also has a solid shot from the point but gets little opportunity to use it due to only playing 14 minutes a night. He was brought back after being scratched 9 of the first 20 games and didn't have his first fight until 12/28/17. This was about the time everyone started getting involved with sticking up for their teammates and he was sort of shamed into following suit. He had 6 fights which was second to Haley and got his butt whipped by McCarron and Wilson. These are the type of guys that will put him back on IR with concussion issues if he drops the mitts with them. If he's smart he should just keep the gloves on and try and protect himself and let them get the 5 minute majors. Guys like Ek, Matheson, McGinn, McCann, Bjugs, Weegar also stuck up for teammates on occasion and could get seriously concussed due to their lack of pugilistic skills. Boo doesn't care about that as he wants other teams to know the Cats will not put up with hard hits. Works fine until we lose somebody for a month or longer to a serious concussion. We were lucky on the injury front last season. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Ya I agree with that assessment but isn't a 2nd + middle 6 winger just another way of saying late 1st? Most middle 6 wingers can go for a late 2nd or early to mid 3rd. Would a GM be willing to give up a 1st right now, probably not but if he can put up another 45-50pt season then we could probably get that late 1st.
yea i dont see a gm giving up a late first for him, although, i have seen gms do dumber things so never say never. i just wouldnt expect it. im sure tallon wont be eager to trade his boy, unless for cap reasons (they bring in another high paid winger or d and they need to shed some dollars). id trade him for picks to get rid of the contract but id rather just swap him for another positional player thats already developed.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
. He had 6 fights which was second to Haley and got his butt whipped by McCarron and Wilson. These are the type of guys that will put him back on IR with concussion issues if he drops the mitts with them. If he's smart he should just keep the gloves on and try and protect himself and let them get the 5 minute majors. Guys like Ek, Matheson, McGinn, McCann, Bjugs, Weegar also stuck up for teammates on occasion and could get seriously concussed due to their lack of pugilistic skills. Boo doesn't care about that as he wants other teams to know the Cats will not put up with hard hits. Works fine until we lose somebody for a month or longer to a serious concussion. We were lucky on the injury front last season

But Petro declared himself as the tough Guy in the Team. But for who stand he up or make even a good Fight. After his first fights he get already down on his knees befor the first Punch dropped.
But his offensive Ability is questable 60 shots and only 2 Goals. 3% S% Okay that was overall another bad Season of accuracy on shots for the whole Team.
If Petro really watch out over a role, then he should work on the opening creating passes. and Puck Controll.
He is no tough Guy, no Fighter and not a big Scorer with a great Shot. But he can pass the Puck that shows is 11 Assists.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
But Petro declared himself as the tough Guy in the Team. But for who stand he up or make even a good Fight. After his first fights he get already down on his knees befor the first Punch dropped.
But his offensive Ability is questable 60 shots and only 2 Goals. 3% S% Okay that was overall another bad Season of accuracy on shots for the whole Team.
If Petro really watch out over a role, then he should work on the opening creating passes. and Puck Controll.
He is no tough Guy, no Fighter and not a big Scorer with a great Shot. But he can pass the Puck that shows is 11 Assists.
You have to have a chin of granite and be good with your hands to be declared an enforcer. While Petro is strong for a guy 205 lbs, he can't take a direct hard punch's to the chin without being concussed. He knows how to throw short jabs pretty well but he doesn't have the big overhand to keep guys off of him. He is no enforcer unless he goes against smaller guys. An example of a guy his size that has a solid chin and can throw down is McQuaid, but even he is out injured much of the time. Petro is much better defensively than McQuaid and has more skill with the puck.

Of course he's not a big scorer but that doesn't take away from his hard shot from the point. Those shots are luck most of the time because they need to pass thru so many players before they get to the goalie. Weegar is another guy who is gifted with a good shot but hasn't scored much. Dmen who score are usually given a multitude of chances on the PP and that will never happen with Petro. Weggar certainly has the upside but I question if even he will get the opportunity as Boo has Tallon shopping for a second pairing guy as I guess he's not comfortable with Weegar. This is what I mean by coaches can make a break a player if they like them. :)

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
How good is matheson? Upside? Will he ever be strong top pairing guy?

Upside is a reliable, two-way 2D. Conservatively speaking, I think he's better suited for the role of an all situations, luxury 3D. He skates very well, but lacks the shutdown ability to play against elite forwards and doesn't drive the offense enough for my liking to be your no. 1 offensive d-man.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
One of the Best 2 Lines in the PO, hmm maybe GF inf G on 60 Minutes doesnt mean anything.
By the Way Bjugstad had really a good Season, but still he doesnt fit in the Line. And we will see, how he is so much better next Year, if he stays with the Team.
Your narrative of bjugstad not fitting on the top line has been proven wrong with numbers and the eye test. Not sure why u keep trying to get the point across when it's completely innacurate

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Your narrative of bjugstad not fitting on the top line has been proven wrong with numbers and the eye test. Not sure why u keep trying to get the point across when it's completely innacurate.

You, me and anyone else will see it next Season. What the outcome of this big Season is and how he will look. You indicate that a 49 Point scorer is the best option for our Top Line. I hold against that.
Till the middle of next Season or end of next Season we must wait, who is right on this Point, to say befor the Season startet im right is also complete wrong.
But yes i keep on knocking and say he is not the right player for Barkov and Dadonov.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Your narrative of bjugstad not fitting on the top line has been proven wrong with numbers and the eye test. Not sure why u keep trying to get the point across when it's completely innacurate.

You, me and anyone else will see it next Season. What the outcome of this big Season is and how he will look. You indicate that a 49 Point scorer is the best option for our Top Line. I hold against that.
Till the middle of next Season or end of next Season we must wait, who is right on this Point, to say befor the Season startet im right is also complete wrong.
But yes i keep on knocking and say he is not the right player for Barkov and Dadonov.

Bjugstad only played 55% of his even strength TOI with Barkov and Dadanov. You saw how productive he was playing on that top line, and you'd assume that his production would have been higher than 49 points if he played a good majority of his TOI on the top line with Barkov and Dads.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If Carolina is looking to make some changes, we need to see what we can do to try to get Skinner and or Faulk. Let's start with the 15th, Mascherin, and go from there.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
How can people's opinion on Bjugstad haved changed in the last month. There are multiple people here who watched him play all year, ripped him incessantly, and now want to keep him. What could have possibly happened lol

Reactions: Kellyr

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
How can people's opinion on Bjugstad haved changed in the last month. There are multiple people here who watched him play all year, ripped him incessantly, and now want to keep him. What could have possibly happened lol

Ive always liked Nick. (I I deserve the credit for the phrase Goldie likes to use, "Big Nick"). He was always a boom or bust prospect. He has the size and skill to be a dominant winger in this league, but just hasnt put it together for a whole season. Im sure that it helped him being healthy, and being on a line with two talented individuals in Dads and Barky. If he can play like he did for the last 3rd of last season, he can be a 55-60 point scorer for us. I guess its just his inconsistency, especially after signing his extension, that has been bugging most of his haters here.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Can we upgrade Nick's spot? Maybe. But we've seen how lacking depth has hurt us. To move him for the sake of selling him high is dangerous unless it's part of a package for a legit top 4 guy.

He had a good year as a complementary player. Not everyone is going to be a true first line player or legit top 6 player.

I think the biggest change was that Boughner figured out how to push the right buttons with him. The benching against Philly changed his game/effort level.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Bjugstad only played 55% of his even strength TOI with Barkov and Dadanov. You saw how productive he was playing on that top line, and you'd assume that his production would have been higher than 49 points if he played a good majority of his TOI on the top line with Barkov and Dads.

Sure then look out how many Goals and first Assist he had with the Line. and 55% is over a half Season
7 G
4 1st Assist
5 2nd Assist

I think you all know what those Numbers are, right. Bjugstad Points, while the whole line or Barkov was involved. he had 13 Points with Barkov and it would be around 19 points when i would also include Dadonov. I counted those from 1.january 2018 thats more then a half Season, by the Way the Line Bjugstad/Bar/Dad was founded around mid. January.

20-21/49 points While playing with Dadoniv
13/49 points while playing with Barkov since January 2018
16/49 Points while playing with Barkov Beginning of the Season

20/49 while playing with TopLine that is unfer 50% of his Points he make during the whole Season and this is productive in one Way maybe. But when he play half of the Season at it make only under 50% of his Points, that means if he plays 100% with them he still would reach 49/52 Points Season. maybe in a break out Season around 60 and sorry 60 Points is a minimum playing TopLine.

And in the Future he will see no PP Time, 90%-95% of his Points was on even strength, he only make few points in PP.

I believe that Barkov/Dadonov have Line chemistry, i believe Dadonov/Bjugstad have some kind of chemistry. But not really Barkov and Bjugstad, yes line chemistry is build over Years and sometimes need time, see Winnipeg Jets.
So i still go with my Line there is no real Line chemistry, yes 2/3 Players have chemistry but the whole line as one not really.

I give some people here the Point 7 Goals in a half of a Season is not bad, but is it good that a Top Player in contract can only score playing with two of the best in the Team. You know what is Line chemistry for me is what Bjugstad had with Tallon Doghouse Guys. McCann and Brickley. We all know how it ended, Brickley dissapeared, McCann the next 4th Line Center, Bjugstad was placed on 2 Top Lines. Scored with Huberdeau, with Barkov and Dadonov, not so good while with Trocheck.

example of end of the Year i can see the Line chemistry, 2 play for one that he get some open goal chances.

Last edited:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

Haven't been following this whole Bjugstad discussion and he's fine as a player but the above idea intrigues me. Numbers will be inflated playing next to Barkov. Could get a better return than what he's worth.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Haven't been following this whole Bjugstad discussion and he's fine as a player but the above idea intrigues me. Numbers will be inflated playing next to Barkov. Could get a better return than what he's worth.

I said this previously but I don't think it's realistic for any team (especially Florida) to sign 2 top 6 wingers. In my ideal world we'd move Bjugs for a top 4 dman and sign 2 UFA wings but that won't happen. In fact I'd say there's a 50% chance Florida doesn't even sign 1 wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad