Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Kopitar comparison for Kotkaniemi is one I think is okay... but I see more Rantanen in his game honestly. Kotkaniemi has been mostly playing wing, but when he is playing center, he looks like a center version of Rants. Same way of protecting the puck, same body usage on the boards, similar offensive mindset. Kotkaniemi might be a bit more advanced defensively, but it is close.
So, what you're saying is we draft Rantanen 2.0??????????

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is this draft still supposed to be a great draft? Or is it the same thing that happens most every year?
I still love this draft and think it is great, picture a defencive version of 2015 or perhaps a better version of 2008 where Stamkos is Svechnikov. A lack of a centre as Hench mentions is concerning, but won't prevent it from being really good when we come back to it in 2021.

I think Avs have a greater chance of grabbing Denisenko than Kotkaniemi. I think Jesperi is going to go right after the top 10 and if Senators don't fall around that range we probably are not going to get him.

Reactions: 5280

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The Kopitar comparison for Kotkaniemi is one I think is okay... but I see more Rantanen in his game honestly. Kotkaniemi has been mostly playing wing, but when he is playing center, he looks like a center version of Rants. Same way of protecting the puck, same body usage on the boards, similar offensive mindset. Kotkaniemi might be a bit more advanced defensively, but it is close.
Hoping we draft him for funsies. He should be gone by the time they get to the podium though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

As SEPH says... he's likely gone before we even get a chance to select him. His U18 performance this year will likely shoot him up the boards, and a team desperate for a center might select him around 7-10.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
As SEPH says... he's likely gone before we even get a chance to select him. His U18 performance this year will likely shoot him up the boards, and a team desperate for a center might select him around 7-10.
He's been strangely low earlier in the year, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's been strangely low earlier in the year, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

I think there is just a lack of exposure for him, especially with being left off the WJC team for some dumb reason.... His draft season has been as good as Rants was on the professional level while being a better skater and younger (missing an inch and 15 lbs though)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Not for this draft but no time like now to get the hype train rolling a bit on 2019 NHL Draft Eligible prospect Spencer Knight (who is yes, a goalie). First off the kid is posting great stats for a 16yo goalie in the USHL. Most importantly though the play on the ice not only matches the results but the NHL potential is also there. Knight isn't a goalie whose game is best suited for juniors such as Drew DeRidder or Griffen Outhouse, but rather suited for junior's and the pro's. A comparison that comes to mind is 19yo Ilya Samsonov at the 2017 WJC. Great on his edges, know's how to use his size, very good technical ability, and rarely loses sight of the puck. Biggest difference between the two of them is Knight know's how to play the puck and is near elite if not elite already. He's able to put stretch passes off the neutral zone glass and have them land on the forward's stick at the blueline. He has the power and accuracy to score some goals. In other words Knight plays a very mature game while being in his draft year-1 and there's a fair chance he makes the USA WJC team.

TL;DR if you're looking for goalies in next year's draft, start with Knight.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I hope we draft Ryan O'Reilly, committed to play for Denver next year so I can go watch.

He’s actually a really good fit for what we lack in the system. A 6’-2, 200 pound winger with a serious nose for the net who we can watch develop on our own backyard. I can definitely see him on the Avs shortlist in terms of non-1st rounders.

The name is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
Question about the 1st round pick from Ottawa: When can they decide if they want to keep it? Can they wait up until the pick is on the clock, and then decide if they want to use it or not, or is there some deadline before the start of the draft?

member 116861

Question about the 1st round pick from Ottawa: When can they decide if they want to keep it? Can they wait up until the pick is on the clock, and then decide if they want to use it or not, or is there some deadline before the start of the draft?

From what I read and heard, they can wait until the pick is on the clock but don't quote me on that. If I'm wrong, quote @JWK instead.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm pretty sure they have until the team picking ahead of them is on the clock to decide.
As Bush league as the NHL loves to be, they can't just leave it to the last second like that and delay the draft I'd imagine.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

From what I read and heard, they can wait until the pick is on the clock but don't quote me on that. If I'm wrong, quote @JWK instead.

This is what Sakic said during his on-air interview with Haynes and McNab a while back. There was a bunch of debate on here as he worded it weird and it was interpreted a couple different ways. What he said, more or less, is that Ottawa has right up until immediately after the pick before is made (hence the confusion), he then somewhat clarified to say that once the pick is on the clock they have to let the Avs know.

He then went on about how he assumes they’ll know earlier than that but that all sounded optimistic at best. Even if OTT know what they’re doing why bother tipping their hand to us and giving us a chance to make that trade look even worse?

Bottom line is, they only have to decide once they know what players are available at that pick, so the Avs will have to be prepared to take a guy and see what OTT decides.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

I'm pretty sure they have until the team picking ahead of them is on the clock to decide.
As Bush league as the NHL loves to be, they can't just leave it to the last second like that and delay the draft I'd imagine.

I went back and found the interview.

His exact words were, “if it’s their option (pick has landed somewhere top 10 2018), they don’t have to tell us until right after the pick before.”

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I went back and found the interview.

His exact words were, “if it’s their option (pick has landed somewhere top 10 2018), they don’t have to tell us until right after the pick before.”
Which will be the case if the Senators are anywhere from considering giving up the pick slightly to 100% sure they're coughing it up.

Good news is, the scouting department had to have been looking at guys in the top tier because they clearly didn't expect this turn around.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It might seem childish to decide last second after the prior pick, but given the AVs are getting a high pick this draft or possibly next, they’ll get a good player regardless of their decision.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’ve seen a lot of people mention Noel, I hope the avs stay far away, for all you size queens out there check out Curtis Douglas, would be a good pick ~4th round IMO
No way to Curtis Douglas, the dude is lost like half of the game and isn't as physical as his 6'8" size makes him seem to be. Good skater and solid defencive game though considering how big he is.

I just don't get the Serron Noel hate, he is definitely on the raw side, but man there is so much good with his game. He is easily more physical than Douglas, has some anger in his game, and has some of the best puck skills I've seen a bigger forward have. He always goes to the dirty areas and can score goals in a multitude of ways. He isn't perfect, his weakness is that he tends to puck watch a lot and tries to cherry-pick at times in the game, but he has all the tools you want. I will say is that he's a player who can't really play the game he wants to right now, he could have had a huge growth spurt and he's still getting adjusted to his body from his brain (we've seen this happen). He looks awkward at times, but being 6'5" and only 201 lbs shows he can put on a lot more muscle and with more game experience he'll be that much tougher to play against.

Reactions: McMetal

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Outside of Miro.. I'm happy with the way that turned out personally. That's probably not true for the Makar doubters though.
Remains to be seen, really. Only Nico and Nolan are in the NHL, and I've been largely unimpressed with Patrick all season. I hope Makar can become an impact player for this team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No way to Curtis Douglas, the dude is lost like half of the game and isn't as physical as his 6'8" size makes him seem to be. Good skater and solid defencive game though considering how big he is.

I just don't get the Serron Noel hate, he is definitely on the raw side, but man there is so much good with his game. He is easily more physical than Douglas, has some anger in his game, and has some of the best puck skills I've seen a bigger forward have. He always goes to the dirty areas and can score goals in a multitude of ways. He isn't perfect, his weakness is that he tends to puck watch a lot and tries to cherry-pick at times in the game, but he has all the tools you want. I will say is that he's a player who can't really play the game he wants to right now, he could have had a huge growth spurt and he's still getting adjusted to his body from his brain (we've seen this happen). He looks awkward at times, but being 6'5" and only 201 lbs shows he can put on a lot more muscle and with more game experience he'll be that much tougher to play against.

I don't think it is hate so much as exactly what you described. He is raw and that has to be taken into account with his evaluation. Noel has a lot of good traits, but there is a very significant chance he never touches NHL ice. To me, I'd rather take a Groulx and have more safety at a similar spot than take Noel. When you are hitting that 25-40 range though, Noel is as solid of a chance as any.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't think it is hate so much as exactly what you described. He is raw and that has to be taken into account with his evaluation. Noel has a lot of good traits, but there is a very significant chance he never touches NHL ice. To me, I'd rather take a Groulx and have more safety at a similar spot than take Noel. When you are hitting that 25-40 range though, Noel is as solid of a chance as any.
Don't get me wrong Serron is raw, but he has that swag which someone like Groulx doesn't have. Groulx is a very physical forward and plays a no-nonsense-game to a tee, he's more boring than buttered toast. You get a safe floor, but I suggest his ceiling isn't particularly interesting for me. That would be a bad move if Avs grabbed him over Noel. Serron is again a work-in-progress, but I see no red flags in his game, more likely he has some issues which could be contributed to not being able to play in his frame. Saying there is a "very significant chance" he will never touch an NHL ice tells me you haven't seen him nearly enough times. I hate using that argument by the way, but it was a complete nonsense sentence by you. Not only that, but how much offencive potential does Groulx have? This is an honest question considering the offencive weaponry that Halifax has and he put up some pretty poor nunbers. It doesn't even come close to the teammates that Noel gets to work with where half of the team is geared up for 2019.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I find this very interesting... To me, while I get Landy isn't a dynamic gamebreaker, he is one hell of a player. To this day, he is still the leading scorer out of the 2011 draft (Kuch is 6 behind him). Gaudreau is probably the next to pass Landy, but is 50 points back so it will take 2-3 more seasons. Landy is 2nd in goals behind Kuch, 18 ahead of Saad in 3rd. I'm not sure anybody passes Landy there. Then you have the leadership, 2 way play, physicality, off the ice endeavors, general sexiness...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I find this very interesting... To me, while I get Landy isn't a dynamic gamebreaker, he is one hell of a player. To this day, he is still the leading scorer out of the 2011 draft (Kuch is 6 behind him). Gaudreau is probably the next to pass Landy, but is 50 points back so it will take 2-3 more seasons. Landy is 2nd in goals behind Kuch, 18 ahead of Saad in 3rd. I'm not sure anybody passes Landy there. Then you have the leadership, 2 way play, physicality, off the ice endeavors, general sexiness...

That last point kind of puts him above Kucherov imo but is something Tkachuk will never have so idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad