Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't see it with Lundestrom either, he strikes me as a guy who has a good chance to turn into Colin Wilson in the NHL. Pretty good at everything but lacking any one really strong skill that makes him more than an interchangeable depth player. He'll be seen as a "safe" pick in the first, but will probably be disappointing.

Kaut would be cool, so would Noel. I'm not a major fan of Thomas, I would hope for a little more pure skill to go with his wheels, but I wouldn't hate the pick. Bokk has some real skill too but I'm not sure I'd take him over any of the names above just yet.

For D in that range, I've always liked Miller, I think he has the potential to take a Zadorov-like development path where it takes him a while to get all his tools together, but when he does he'll be a beast. Woo isn't bad either, but he's a rightie and that's not ideal. I'd rather go for Miller if we take a D.
I suggest that Lundestrom can become a really solid two-way 3rd line player, he's definitely better than Colin Wilson, but you might be using him as a comparison instead of talent level. Getting Lundestrom in the middle to late twenties for a Mikael Backlund type of player isn't bad value by any means, but bro I am seeing him ranked in the freakin' teens in the some of the latest rankings. Someone is going to make a mistake with that.

K'Andre is a possibility and I wouldn't hate it, but I much prefer if Avs fall later...as you mentioned about Bokk, at 19th overall there are probably better options than Miller like Kaut, Thomas, Woo, and some Russians. Him like Bokk, might be more worth it in the later stages of the 1st round where if they never develop, it won't be that bad of a risk.

Handiness sort of sucks for this year, but it shouldn't prevent the Avs in drafting a defender they really like. What I mean is, if Dobson and Bouchard randomly fall to the Avs at 19th, you gotta draft either of them regardless of what their handiness is. Because of that, if the Avs like Woo even though he is a righty, still draft him. You can't have too many defensive prospects IMHO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The 15-20 range is the perfect area for a riskier Euro pick like Bokk or Olofsson (I really like both)... or picking up somebody who falls. I don't see McIssac on the board there, but if he is, take him. Samuelsson is somebody else I'd look at on D. Bernard-Docker will likely start getting some late 1st hype here real soon. He might be another to keep an eye out on D.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Don't understand the sudden love for Miller. He's ranked #30 on Sportsnet (March) and not even a 1st rounder on many lists (including Pronman's). We'd be reaching big time.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The 15-20 range is the perfect area for a riskier Euro pick like Bokk or Olofsson (I really like both)... or picking up somebody who falls. I don't see McIssac on the board there, but if he is, take him. Samuelsson is somebody else I'd look at on D. Bernard-Docker will likely start getting some late 1st hype here real soon. He might be another to keep an eye out on D.

Looking at the rankings on Balthazar's post , we're in prime position to get McIssac. Wasnt he supposed to go top 10 ?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
17th to 20th is definitely McIsaac territory if he's still available (which I doubt). I'm kinda scared of picking very big forwards in the first round (Lawson Crouse/Michael Rasmussen/Serron Noel type).

K'Andre Miller's scouting reports are almost a copy and paste of Siemens' back in 2011. Big fat no. Not the type of player we want.
Miller has the tools to be a good offensive player. Not elite by any means, and it's raw as hell, but the base is there. It's a risky pick, but IMO not much riskier than McIsaac, who I am also a fan of but has about as many questions about how he will develop. If you want a project D you could go either way.

What I like about Noel is his instincts in the O-zone. He has a little bit of that "right place, right time" goal scorers knack that I look for in juniors, it's no accident that he's so often right where the defense is weak. Lots of players can beat junior goalies clean on a shot, but IMO when you're looking at forwards in the CHL the thing that translates most is that nose for where the puck is going to be. Noel is also pretty raw, but it's a risk I'm comfortable taking.

@S E P H Yeah, it's not a talent comparison with Wilson, really, just the type of good depth player that every good team has a couple of. I've seen him a lot in the early teens too and the only reason I can think that is would be because scouts think he has a high floor. I see the high floor, but not the ceiling you want out of a player in the early teens in a great draft.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Don't understand the sudden love for Miller. He's ranked #30 on Sportsnet (March) and not even a 1st rounder on many lists (including Pronman's). We'd be reaching big time.
The Sportsnet lists have been just godawful when it comes to American prospects this year. I trust Hockeyprospects.com lists way more and they have Miller at 16th overall. That might be a tad (much) too high even for me, but there will absolutely be a team who will gamble on him higher than you think Balth. He's that prospect which people will either like or hate, but considering we have an abundance of picks the next two years, why not gamble more than in previous years? McMetal see's Miller with some swag and Zadorov qualities, grabbing a potential Big Z at 19th overall would be wonderful no? I just found it hypocritical in you saying that it is absolutely "NO" to Miller, but would take McIsaac when both defenders suffer from same strengths and weaknesses IMO.

I've been quite outspoken on Pronman as well, not a fan of him either (don't really ever read anything he has to say).

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Gimme some Bokk, for sure. Primarily just because he’s German. I need someone with similar heritage to cheer for on this team.

As for who I would like in the 15-20 range, I’d be all for Kotkaniemi, McIsaac, Noel, or Miller. Especially Kotkaniemi. I’d jump for joy if Hayton slid to our pick, too. I’d probably stay away from Kupari, if he’s available. There’s only one Rasmus I want in the first round this year, and he certainly won’t be there for our pick.

What do you guys think of Denisenko?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Gimme some Bokk, for sure. Primarily just because he’s German. I need someone with similar heritage to cheer for on this team.

As for who I would like in the 15-20 range, I’d be all for Kotkaniemi, McIsaac, Noel, or Miller. Especially Kotkaniemi. I’d jump for joy if Hayton slid to our pick, too. I’d probably stay away from Kupari, if he’s available. There’s only one Rasmus I want in the first round this year, and he certainly won’t be there for our pick.

What do you guys think of Denisenko?
I forgot about Kotkaniemi, picking in the late teens would put him in play for me. Denisenko is pretty good too. Haven't seen a whole lot of him, but the skill is definitely there.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
McIsaac went from a stud Top 10 to low teens. He had a very slow start in Halifax and has since recovered. Lots of flags on his potential to be an NHL player or was he successful due to his size in Juniors?

I believe he’ll be gone in the mid teens, but there are still plenty of good picks. 10-20 selections is relatively close in talent and the AVs will still have a good choice. I do like Wilde, Miller, Woo and Samuelson for DMen.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm confused. Why would we be picking in the 17-20 range being the SC champion? :sarcasm::naughty::D

On a serious note (although you never know once in the playoffs) Noel would be my preferred pick in that range.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
McIsaac went from a stud Top 10 to low teens. He had a very slow start in Halifax and has since recovered. Lots of flags on his potential to be an NHL player or was he successful due to his size in Juniors?

I believe he’ll be gone in the mid teens, but there are still plenty of good picks. 10-20 selections is relatively close in talent and the AVs will still have a good choice. I do like Wilde, Miller, Woo and Samuelson for DMen.

Questions on his offensive upside and IQ are the reasons for the slip. I think he was putting too much pressure on himself to perform early... from mid-December on, he has been very, very good.

I don't know where this idea came from on McIsaac's size... I've seen it a few times. The kid is just averaged sized and always has been. 6'1"-6'2" 190-200lbs. He isn't huge.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I forgot about Kotkaniemi, picking in the late teens would put him in play for me. Denisenko is pretty good too. Haven't seen a whole lot of him, but the skill is definitely there.
Yeah, I haven’t seen much of Denisenko, so I was hoping someone here would be able to provide some insight. From the YT clips I’ve seen (I know, terrible way to form an opinion), he does seem to have a ton of skill. Just not sure how his game would potentially translate to the NHL since I’ve barely seen any tape.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Questions on his offensive upside and IQ are the reasons for the slip. I think he was putting too much pressure on himself to perform early... from mid-December on, he has been very, very good.

I don't know where this idea came from on McIsaac's size... I've seen it a few times. The kid is just averaged sized and always has been. 6'1"-6'2" 190-200lbs. He isn't huge.

He is huge for his age and would still be growing for a few more years, love for the AVs to draft him. Kind of reminds me of Cheychrun, fell hard in the draft, but has turned into a fairly good player.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He is huge for his age and would still be growing for a few more years, love for the AVs to draft him. Kind of reminds me of Cheychrun, fell hard in the draft, but has turned into a fairly good player.

6'2 210lbs is big but not huge. He's a tank though, he looks like a solid block on the ice.

Scouting report from July 2017 :

(...) plays with a mean streak in the corners and around his own crease…doesn’t shy away from working hard…confident and mature…he’s a calming, safe, reliable two-way defender that has top-pairing NHL upside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

That’s not really huge in junior. Lots and lots of players his size and bigger in junior. I see some of the same scouting issues in McIssac as Chychrun... though I think Chychrun possessed more physical talent.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was flipping between college hockey and the Avs yesterday and man the Habs got a good one in goaler, Hayden Hawkey. But I was watching the first game of NCHC between St. Cloud and North Dakota and I really liked what I saw from Dávid Hrenák who's currently ranked 14th overall in CSS midterm. He plays on the best team in the NCAA and is average height for a goaltender, but he's very positionally sound and reads the play at a high enough level where he's always squared up to the shooter. Because of that it's hard to pinpoint how athletic he is considering how good his positioning is, so I would classify him more as a shotblocking goaltender as of now. His lateral and speed can use some improvement, but in terms of raw potential which can blossom with some coaching, grabbing him somewhere in the 6th round would be really decent value IMO. There is a good amount of talent and solid range of tools to work here with him...

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Didn't realize the Sens had won 3 straight now.

They've moved ahead of the Wings and Vancouver on this stretch and are now the 5th worst team in the league but with a better Point % then the Habs as well.

Real possibility they end up at 6th worst by season end and that's right on the cusp of where LeBrun thinks they'd have a real tough decision to make regarding that 1st round pick.

Hell, they're only 2 points back of Edmonton, 5 points back of Chicago(With a game in hand), and 7 back of the free falling Islanders.

They project to finish at 74-75 points on the season. So it's possible they could catch 1 or 2 of those 3 harder to reach teams as well and end up at #7 or #8 before the lottery anyway.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Since I feel like the Sens will keep their pick if it is in the top 10

I'm starting to read up about the projected guys at the Avs pick (#15-20) earlier than I normally would. My list so far is:

-McIsaac I think would be a great add and balance out our D future. (KAndre Miller also if McIsaac is gone)
-Noel seems like a natural fit
- Either of the 2 Finns seem like they would be quality middle 6ers down the line

Reactions: Patagonia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad