Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
That would be crazy. One deal gets Poolparty, the other PLD, even if they hit 60% of their ultimate potential, thats still the makings of a damn good fwd corps

could really focus on D if something nuts like that went down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Which is why we should snap them up before they break through!

I think he will be fine, but I don't see a player that will be an offensive driver. Giving up Barrie who easily can be an offensive driver for a player that isn't... I just don't like the idea of that. Finding offense from the backend is harder than finding it at wing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think he will be fine, but I don't see a player that will be an offensive driver. Giving up Barrie who easily can be an offensive driver for a player that isn't... I just don't like the idea of that. Finding offense from the backend is harder than finding it at wing.

I dunno if I'm that down on Pulju. I think he'll always do best finishing off a top line...like he would next to Landy & Jost/Compher/Dubois...but he should still grow into a very strong two way winger who can deliver 50+ points with tough usage on a line like that. And with the RHDs we'll ahve coming through I'd take that for Tyson if we're also moving matt for PLD & Murray.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Pulju just had very unrealistic expectations put on him after the draft, and I think rushing him to the NHL did damage his confidence a little. I'm not sure if it's permanent or if a change of scenery trade would help, but Edmonton just can't let him go now. They need ELCs too badly.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Pulju just had very unrealistic expectations put on him after the draft, and I think rushing him to the NHL did damage his confidence a little. I'm not sure if it's permanent or if a change of scenery trade would help, but Edmonton just can't let him go now. They need ELCs too badly.

Very true. They need him to pan out in the worst way.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Wasn't pool party supposed to be more NHL ready the Laine. I just don't think it's good idea to trade Barrie for a winter we need the d. I think we'll be alot better there this year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh THAT's who Pool Party is :laugh:

No, no way would I trade Barrie for him. Obviously way early yet but I'm not sold on him yet. That's the thing that sucks about the Oilers getting McDavid (and also Draisaitl I guess). They can fail miserably virtually everywhere else and they'll probably be fine.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Sigh, it'll probably be a perennial playoff team that has a down year and wins the lottery that will draft him.

Must force myself not to get excited for this kid wearing the A.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just don't understand this attitude. We can't dismiss a draft 10 months before it happens. Dahlin going first overall isn't written in blood either. A draft isn't about one player. Maybe it was for McJesus but the top 10 that year was pretty damn incredible. That can happen this year too.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I just don't understand this attitude. We can't dismiss a draft 10 months before it happens. Dahlin going first overall isn't written in blood either. A draft isn't about one player. Maybe it was for McJesus but the top 10 that year was pretty damn incredible. That can happen this year too.

Definitely feels like we're winding ourselves up for a disappointment either way. But yeah I bet we will be talking about someone else after all the junior hoopla (hlinka, worlds, memorial) is all over next year

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

lol nobody is dismissing the draft.

Just preparing for the likelihood that we dont get Dahlin. Everyone still recognizes the strength in the rest of the draft.

Dahlin will go 1st overall. I have no doubt about this.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You should try watching Svechnikov

Svech reminds me a lot of Malkin. He's absolutely dominant out there, constantly driving play towards the net. I still like Dahlin more, but I could see some teams liking Svechnikov, and all it takes is one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Svech reminds me a lot of Malkin. He's absolutely dominant out there, constantly driving play towards the net. I still like Dahlin more, but I could see some teams liking Svechnikov, and all it takes is one.

With the preference for forwards over dman 1st overall it wouldn't be surprising if Svech went 1st...although if he was a Center instead of a Winger that positional effect would be more pronounced.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
With the preference for forwards over dman 1st overall it wouldn't be surprising if Svech went 1st...although if he was a Center instead of a Winger that positional effect would be more pronounced.

The forwards usually go over defensemen because they have more flash in their games. Dahlin plays such a high impact game from the blueline that I think it's likely he gets enough hype to go 1st, but Svech should not be discounted for that. He's just so damn good.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You should try watching Svechnikov

You should try watching Dahlin :laugh:

Svech is great, but he's not as skilled as Dahlin. The only chance he has at going #1 is if the team picking #1 is afraid of taking a Dman so high like we have seen on occasion in the past. But I dont think there will be anything to worry about when it comes to Dahlin. He's as close to a sure thing of a #1D as we've ever seen at the top of the draft IMO.

As Metal just said above, if Svechnikov played Center I think more of an argument could be made for him going #1 if he has a remarkable year. But as a Winger it wont happen. Tkachuk probably has the best chance of anyone at usurping Dahlin IMO, but he would obviously have to have a truly incredible year to even make that a possibility.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Seth Jones was supposed to go #1 too. I think I'd quit talking in absolutes in August.

Jones didn't play as flashy a game as Dahlin does. I think his game pops more than most D you see in the draft. MacKinnon had the wow factor in his game that dazzled the Avs, I think it's likely that whoever picks 1st will be similarly dazzled by Dahlin.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
You should try watching Dahlin :laugh:

Svech is great, but he's not as skilled as Dahlin. The only chance he has at going #1 is if the team picking #1 is afraid of taking a Dman so high like we have seen on occasion in the past. But I dont think there will be anything to worry about when it comes to Dahlin. He's as close to a sure thing of a #1D as we've ever seen at the top of the draft IMO.

As Metal just said above, if Svechnikov played Center I think more of an argument could be made for him going #1 if he has a remarkable year. But as a Winger it wont happen. Tkachuk probably has the best chance of anyone at usurping Dahlin IMO, but he would obviously have to have a truly incredible year to even make that a possibility.

Dahlin is special but he has holes in his game he has to fix and prove himself more. His upside is ridiculous but Svechnikov's ceiling isn't that far off. It's a 1A/1B situation and will be a great battle. The only player I think has a chance of cracking the top 2 other than those is Veleno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad