Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Or Hayton. That's my new worry. There are going to be good players available at 10 and we will pass on them for Smith or Hayton :/

Disagree. As unlikely as it is, if either one of Dobson or Wahlstrom are still there at 10 the Oilers would be literally scampering up to the podium to stutter out whichever is available.

They like Ty Smith, but only as a fallback if the top 9 picks don't have a surprise or two.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
When Draisaitl was drafted, someone listened to Stauffer and thought the Oilers would have taken him at #1. That would have been crazy, of course.

I think they're running on stage for Bouchard, Dobson or Wahlstrom though. Pretty sure Bob mentioned something about it.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
That's just crazy talk.

Yeah I agree, I think the only player the Oil may pass on out of the top 9 is Boqvist. Anyone else drops and they take them at 10 forward or D doesn’t matter. I’m also not sure if they take Kotkaniemi but idk.

If it’s Bouchard or Walhstrom or Tkachuk still on the board they will take one of them.

Reactions: Gopper

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chia pet press conference today. My bet is he pumps up Smith, saying they are looking for a character guy with intangibles.
I honestly doubt he does any of that because I don't know that he's ever talked about player's they're looking at in the draft in the pre-draft pressor (except for maybe McDavid, which was obvious).

Makes sense, even if they're leaning "the wrong way" I doubt they tip their hand because it leaves in a bad spot at the draft. Especially seeing as the team will have a lot of different options at 10.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When Draisaitl was drafted, someone listened to Stauffer and thought the Oilers would have taken him at #1. That would have been crazy, of course.

I think they're running on stage for Bouchard, Dobson or Wahlstrom though. Pretty sure Bob mentioned something about it.

I never honestly thought that it was that crazy. Draisaitl's draft year PPG was higher than Nugent Hopkins and he was much bigger and stronger.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I will say that if Boqvist (or anyone in the top “9”really) is on the board at 10 there could be some interesting trade offers for that pick from other teams.

I mean if you look at it somebody of Zadina, Dobson, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi, and Boqvist will be there at 10.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I will say that if Boqvist (or anyone in the top “9”really) is on the board at 10 there could be some interesting trade offers for that pick from other teams.

I mean if you look at it somebody of Zadina, Dobson, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi, and Boqvist will be there at 10.

Stauffer hinted at a potential trade down so I wonder if that's the scenario he envisions with teams calling to trade up for Boqvist. If they really don't want Boqvist then a trade down is the right way to go. Nothing against Smith or Hayton, just don't take one of them at 10.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I never honestly thought that it was that crazy. Draisaitl's draft year PPG was higher than Nugent Hopkins and he was much bigger and stronger.
I would say he was probably closer to Ekblad then Reinhart, I think it would have been treated as a shock at the time. I also think we got lucky we picked at #3, because it's easier to send the #3 pick back to Juniors then the #1 pick.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
What do you guys think the chances are we trade the pick? I'm thinking around 75%. I just have a gut feeling Simmonds will be an Oiler, and I'm thinking the 10th pick will be included in that deal. Simmonds obviously agrees to an extension before the trade

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Stauffer hinted at a potential trade down so I wonder if that's the scenario he envisions with teams calling to trade up for Boqvist. If they really don't want Boqvist then a trade down is the right way to go. Nothing against Smith or Hayton, just don't take one of them at 10.
Maybe the Oilers could make a, Non-Lucic, deal with the Flyers if Boqvist is high on their list.

14 & 19 for 10, 40 & Isles 3rd in 2019

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Let me get this straight.... If the rumours are true and we are actually eyeing up Hayton, we are drafting for a position we are currently deepest in... Makes a lot of sense.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Let me get this straight.... If the rumours are true and we are actually eyeing up Hayton, we are drafting for a position we are currently deepest in... Makes a lot of sense.

Draft the player you think will be a player..
Just like we should have drafted Barzal...

Trade from your strength..

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hayton could be another Lazar. Remember when Lazar checked off a lot of boxes on our checklist?

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007

Centres have an easier time switching to wing then the other way around. A team can never have to many C's.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017

Nah, he couldn't skate. It was enough of a reach at 3. He was at 4 to 8 in the rankings. I think the fans tolerated it because Bennett couldn't do a pull-up and we needed size desperately.

Sometimes I think the Oilers should just pick their guy. They seem to develop better.

Picks where they had to use a brain:

Eberle
Paajarvi
Hall
Klefbom
Nurse
Draisaitl

No-brainer picks:

RNH
Yakupov
Puljujarvi

RNH and Yak had a much better start to their career than Drai and Nurse. Even Puljujarvi had 20 pts at 18 years old compared to Drai's 9 pts at 19 years old. If they developed like Drai and Nurse, we'd have Barzal, Tarasenko and Wheeler right now.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Maybe the Oilers could make a, Non-Lucic, deal with the Flyers if Boqvist is high on their list.

14 & 19 for 10, 40 & Isles 3rd in 2019
Switch 40 with our 3rd round pick this year.

Come out of the 1st round with 2 of Hayton/Farabee/Kravtsov/Denisenko/ Bokk

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
Someone on the Rangers forum has inside info and thought that the Oilers like Bokk, possibly enough to take him at #10. He might be the trade-down target, I don't think Smith gets past the Islanders.

They signed Persson out of Bokk's SHL team and sent him back for more development. They probably have good connections, prossibly from our new Euro scout Vaclav Burda (he came from Ottawa and they drafted a ton of Swedes). They should be really familiar with Bokk. There was talk that Burda drafted Erik Karlsson, maybe he has some pull.

Bokk is a lot like Pastrnak, he'd fit right in with that amazing 2014 Boston draft. Seems like a Keith Gretzky type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad