Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anyone who's been paying attention over the years...how comparable are Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Alex Galchenyuk in terms of what their upsides looked like from their draft years? I remember reading some comparisons to Marian Hossa when Galchenyuk was up for his draft year. His injury really muddied where he'd end up being picked though.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Being an LHD for the Oilers is a feature, not a bug. It reminds me of Bergevin and the center position.

Bergevin:

- Ruin Galchenyuk
- Dump Eller
- Draft Sergachev instead of Jost
- Trade Subban and Sergachev and STILL don't have a center
- Shoehorns a winger into the center position
- Complain about how hard it is to get centers when Johansen, Seguin, Schennn, RNH, Draisaitl, Duchene are all available

Oilers:

- Dump Petry
- Ruin Schultz
- Spend two premium picks on a defensive LHD who busted
- Traded Hall for a defensive RHD (at least they got the handedness right)
- Spend $9.5 million in cap room on defensive/two-way LHD
- Make a bunch of LHD play on their offside
- In the meantime, Faulk, Barrie, Vatanen, Hamilton, Dumba, Subban, Demers were all available
- Get a chance at a premium RHD prospect with top 3 talent, pick the safe two-way LHD who probably ends up as a #4. Again.

At some point, you just have to ask: do they WANT an offensive RHD or a top 6 center?

Watch them turn Kotkaniemi into a LW or trade Draisaitl ++ for Parayko and hope that he turns into a PPQB.
The ineptitude is unreal. This is real life. These guys are cartoon characters living in fantasyland. It's the dumbest group of 50 + year olds to represent a hockey team...ever

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Anyone who's been paying attention over the years...how comparable are Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Alex Galchenyuk in terms of what their upsides looked like from their draft years? I remember reading some comparisons to Marian Hossa when Galchenyuk was up for his draft year. His injury really muddied where he'd end up being picked though.

I feel like Galchenyuk definitely got more hype.

I think he was considered to have a higher upside. Lots of talk of him being a #1C and possible franchise type center where I think Kotkaniemi is still only being projected cautiously as a possible #1C.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Probably old news since I missed the combine but apparently Boqvist had extra meetings (dinner?) with Ottawa, Detroit, Chicago and Washington.

The first three aren't a surprise but still interesting. Guess there's still a good chance he is taken before the Oilers pick.

More interesting to me is Washington. Having an extra meeting (outside the normal interviews) with a kid is more than just doing your due diligence. Are they looking to move up? Boqvist would make some sense for them if they're losing Carlson this summer.

This draft could get wild.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
O
Would be idiotic to overthink this pick by going off the board with Smith. There is a consensus top 10 and the Oilers have the 10th pick, this should be as easy as it gets

It isn't quite a consensus - not to mention a consensus doesn't mean that the player evaluation is perfect - this is still a guessing game to a large degree.

With the no. 10 pick I hope the Oilers take whomever they think has the potential to be a serious impact player. I think leaving the draft with Boqvist or Hayton is a win. I'm not as sold on Ty Smith but imagine he'll develop into a decent NHL defender along the lines of Jared Spurgeon. I would rather take Hayton and try to identify solid D prospects in later rounds.

Hayton reminds me of Mark Scheiffele, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler and Patrice Bergeron. I also don't think you go wrong taking C early in this draft.

Hayton is among the top 2-4 C on every list (2nd on most behind Kotkaniemi).

Cs taken in the top 15 in recent years
2007: Turris, Gagner, Hamill, Couture, Sutter, Eller (2/6 are top 6 players and 1 is a star)
2008: Stamkos, C. Wilson, Hodgson, Z. Boychuk (pretty weak after Stamkos)
2009: Tavares, Duchene, Schenn, Kadri, Glennie, Holland (4/6 are top 6 and 2/6 are clear busts)
2010: Seguin, Johansen, Burmistrov (2/3 are top 6 players, one bust)
2011: RNH, Huberdeau, Strome, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, J.T. Miller (6/7 are top 6 players and all are NHLers, no total busts)
2012: Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Faksa, Girgensons (worst draft in recent memory - Murray went 2nd, Griffin R went 4th, Derrick Pouliot 8th - some solid D went in this draft though - but it's a mixed bag all the way around)
2013: MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Horvat, Wennberg (6/6 are top 6 players and two are stars, no busts)
2014: S. Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, W. Nylander, Larkin (4/5 are top 6 players and two are stars - no busts, although Bennett's getting into that territory)
2015: McDavid, Eichel, D. Strome, Marner, Zacha (Barzal went 16th)

A trend - evaluation of players seems to be improving. The number of busts is trending down significantly over the past few years. If this is a "decent" draft class, I don't think you're going to go wrong taking a highly rated C like Hayton who demonstrates a lot of pro-hockey behaviors already. I also think Cs develop properly for the pro game since they play in all situations in junior

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Some Lundkvist and Ylönen highlights, guys who may or may not be there at #40:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There, as usual will be a left field pick in the top ten to shake things up in the draft.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers are full of center and shallow on offensive d. If we take a center not named Kotkaniemi over an offensive d....I dont even know

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I am a little nervous about this draft, actually more than any other.
So many rumours and and such a wild top ten, while teams like Ottawa, Montreal etc, looking to make some noise..
meanwhile Calgary doesn't have a pick in the first 3 rounds, so looking at what they might do.
it's a powder keg, ....and I'm hoping Chia can take advantage, especially with all the heat coming down on him to improve the club after the humiliation of his failed trades.
I wish I could be optimistic.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe the Oilers trade down to take Smith

To PHI: Lucic & 10th overall

To EDM: Lehtera & 14th overall

Get rid of Lucic and get Smith where people will be slightly less angry.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Chia pet press conference today. My bet is he pumps up Smith, saying they are looking for a character guy with intangibles.
Or Hayton. That's my new worry. There are going to be good players available at 10 and we will pass on them for Smith or Hayton :/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Or Hayton. That's my new worry. There are going to be good players available at 10 and we will pass on them for Smith or Hayton :/

If Boqvist gets taken before 10, I'd be shocked if they passed on whoever falls from the top 9 whether it be Hughes, Wahlstrom, Bouchard or somebody else. Just gotta hope that Boqvist gets taken before us, that would be huge.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Boqvist gets taken before 10, I'd be shocked if they passed on whoever falls from the top 9 whether it be Hughes, Wahlstrom or Bouchard. Just gotta hope that Boqvist gets taken before us, that would be huge.
I think he will. Edmonton media close to the team keep propping up Smith and Hayton so Dobson or Wahlstrom could be there and I still think they pass.

Shit could you imagine, Wahlstrom and Dobson both at 10 and Edmonton picks Smith leaving them both for the Islanders?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think he will. Edmonton media close to the team keep propping up Smith and Hayton so Dobson or Wahlstrom could be there and I still think they pass.

**** could you imagine, Wahlstrom and Dobson both at 10 and Edmonton picks Smith leaving them both for the Islanders?

There's no way that happens. The only way they pick Smith, Hayton or a completely off the board player is if Boqvist drops IMO. I don't have a big issue if they like those guys but trade down if you're intent on taking one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad