Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I don't understand the whole talk on Boqvist's defensive game. I keep hearing this on local radio.. Haven't heard a peep on Bouchard's defensive game though when his may actually be worse. I actually don't think Boqvist's defensive game is a concern at all. It's the concussions.

Bob Green likes Ty Smith so that will be the pick. Bob S. is propaganda minister.

Bob Green made a big deal about how he likes TY Smith on the right side. They should have left that Bob Green in Edmonton for the draft.

I wonder how Bob Green even has a job after the Griffin Reinhart trade a few years ago.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Keith Gretzky was on the staff that took Mark Visentin in the 1st round. Probably a top 5 worst 1st round pick ever but one decision doesn't make a career.

The current scouting staff is one of least concerning things in this organization IMO.

Reactions: dustrock and Aerrol

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Keith Gretzky was on the staff that took Mark Visentin in the 1st round. Probably a top 5 worst 1st round pick ever but one decision doesn't make a career.

The current scouting staff is one of least concerning things in this organization IMO.

He is a goalie. Boom or bust at the end of the first round.

I say that Yakupov and Schremp were worse first rounders based on draft position easily. Besides the 2010 draft was not great after the middle of the first round.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Bob Green likes Ty Smith so that will be the pick. Bob S. is propaganda minister.

Bob Green made a big deal about how he likes TY Smith on the right side. They should have left that Bob Green in Edmonton for the draft.

I wonder how Bob Green even has a job after the Griffin Reinhart trade a few years ago.

Mr Bob Green only knows how to scout the whl. And even then he doesn't know how to evaluate talent.

Reactions: gordonhught

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He is a goalie. Boom or bust at the end of the first round.

I say that Yakupov and Schremp were worse first rounders based on draft position easily. Besides the 2010 draft was not great after the middle of the first round.

Schremp? Heck no. That 2004 draft sucked and only a few players below him (that were reasonable picks) made it.

I HAAAATED the Alex Plante pick but it's funny every pick between Plante and Riley Nash in that 2007 draft is a bust (except Ian Cole, but he's been tossed around)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Maybe this Ty Smith thing is just smoke and mirrors. I could see the Oilers just taking someone out of the blue that isn't being discussed that much (in the mainstream media).

While in Boston Gretzky surprised everyone with the DeBrusk and Senyshyn picks in the 1st round in 2015. He also picked Trent Frederic at the end of the 1st round in 2016, a guy pretty much every scouting service had ranked very late in the 2nd or in the 3rd round. DeBrusk and Frederic has developed quite nicely since then and are looking like pretty decent picks.

And obviously he picked McAvoy as well in 2016 and Pastrnak in 2014. 2014-2016 were the three draft years Gretzky was in charge of the draft in Boston. His record is really quite good.

Passing on Connor and Barzal looks really bad but he has also had some great success with McAvoy and Pastrnak and as I said, DeBrusk and Frederic are looking like solid picks too despite being picked much earlier than consensus. And then you have the fact that 4/5 picks in the 2014 draft are currently NHLers and they were picked in round 1, 2, 4 and 5. Only their 7th rounder hasn't seen NHL ice yet.

So with that in mind I'm really curious to see what happens this weekend. It may not be any of Smith, Bouchard or Boqvist. Maybe it's K'Andre Miller, Joel Farabee or Dominik Bokk?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Maybe this Ty Smith thing is just smoke and mirrors. I could see the Oilers just taking someone out of the blue that isn't being discussed that much (in the mainstream media).

While in Boston Gretzky surprised everyone with the DeBrusk and Senyshyn picks in the 1st round in 2015. He also picked Trent Frederic at the end of the 1st round in 2016, a guy pretty much every scouting service had ranked very late in the 2nd or in the 3rd round. DeBrusk and Frederic has developed quite nicely since then and are looking like pretty decent picks.

And obviously he picked McAvoy as well in 2016 and Pastrnak in 2014. 2014-2016 were the three draft years Gretzky was in charge of the draft in Boston. His record is really quite good.

Passing on Connor and Barzal looks really bad but he has also had some great success with McAvoy and Pastrnak and as I said, DeBrusk and Frederic are looking like solid picks too despite being picked much earlier than consensus. And then you have the fact that 4/5 picks in the 2014 draft are currently NHLers and they were picked in round 1, 2, 4 and 5. Only their 7th rounder hasn't seen NHL ice yet.

So with that in mind I'm really curious to see what happens this weekend. It may not be any of Smith, Bouchard or Boqvist. Maybe it's K'Andre Miller, Joel Farabee or Dominik Bokk?

Twill be a dark horse me thinks

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The funny thing about the '04 draft was that reading this board at the time the selections were happening, a good number of fans were angry that we picked Dubnyk instead of Schremp at #14, and were breathing a huge sigh of relief when he was still there at #25. The general consensus for that 1st round was "right picks, wrong order lol".

Fast forward 14 years, and it's Dubnyk that has the 10 year NHL career after some initial bumps and maturing while "Rabbie Shrimp!" is on his 6th or 7th Euro squad these days. For all those massive point totals in London (getting the "London rub" with huge minutes and every second of every PP didn't hurt, per the Dale Hunter way), he just never could translate his game into NHL caliber.

It's funny how things can turn out.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
I'm torn. I have absolutely no faith in Bob Green, but I trust Keith G. We will se who holds the power depending on the pick. My gut feeling is that Smith is a BoB green OBC style pick.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I'm torn. I have absolutely no faith in Bob Green, but I trust Keith G. We will se who holds the power depending on the pick. My gut feeling is that Smith is a BoB green OBC style pick.

This would be bad. Well, not bad, but a poor use of the 10th pick.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Goaltending is a crapshoot. There was nothing wrong with the Visentin pick at the time. He played for team Canada twice and was part of a dominant OHL team.

I watched him live almost every night in the OHL from his rookie game to his last.

The pick was fine for where it was. Top 5 of all time? Come on... Be better than that.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The latest draft puff piece from Matty.

Edmonton Oilers have seemingly narrowed their draft choice to four players

Some interesting names dropped as possibilities with the 40th pick:

ON THE BENCH: The Oilers pick 40th with their second selection and if they take a forward with their first choice, there’s Swedish defencemen Adam Ginning and Filip Johansson in their range along with Drummondville’s offensive D Nicolas Beaudoin. If they go for a defenceman in round one, the Oilers and several other teams are eying big Russian horse Kirill Marchenko, terrific at the world under 18 championship.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Chia: Alright everyone we really need a RHD in the system. Who do we draft at 10

Bob Green: There's a Berta boy who plays with Kailer, and apparently he grew up an Oilers fan.

Lowe and MacT: *Moistens

Chia: We need a RHD

Bob Green: He can play his offside just like Kris Russell.

Chia: He's our guy!!!!! What a steal at 10

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
How is Bob Green not fired yet? He coordinated one of the worst trades in NHL history to acquire his pet project Griffin Reinhart. He has also managed to run one of the worst WHL franchises in all of major junior hockey in terms of failing to produce NHLers. Of the highly regarded Oil Kings players, only Mark Pysyk isn't a joke of a player.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Chia: Alright everyone we really need a RHD in the system. Who do we draft at 10

Bob Green: There's a Berta boy who plays with Kailer, and apparently he grew up an Oilers fan.

Lowe and MacT: *Moistens

Chia: We need a RHD

Bob Green: He can play his offside just like Kris Russell.

Chia: He's our guy!!!!! What a steal at 10

Boqvist or Bouchard are available a 10. Bob Green tells Chia that Smith can also play the right side. Chia at the podium

giphy.gif

Reactions: IAGTTAYM

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Would be idiotic to overthink this pick by going off the board with Smith. There is a consensus top 10 and the Oilers have the 10th pick, this should be as easy as it gets

Reactions: oilers4life5

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
Being an LHD for the Oilers is a feature, not a bug. It reminds me of Bergevin and the center position.

Bergevin:

- Ruin Galchenyuk
- Dump Eller
- Draft Sergachev instead of Jost
- Trade Subban and Sergachev and STILL don't have a center
- Shoehorns a winger into the center position
- Complain about how hard it is to get centers when Johansen, Seguin, Schennn, RNH, Draisaitl, Duchene are all available

Oilers:

- Dump Petry
- Ruin Schultz
- Spend two premium picks on a defensive LHD who busted
- Traded Hall for a defensive RHD (at least they got the handedness right)
- Spend $9.5 million in cap room on defensive/two-way LHD
- Make a bunch of LHD play on their offside
- In the meantime, Faulk, Barrie, Vatanen, Hamilton, Dumba, Subban, Demers were all available
- Get a chance at a premium RHD prospect with top 3 talent, pick the safe two-way LHD who probably ends up as a #4. Again.

At some point, you just have to ask: do they WANT an offensive RHD or a top 6 center?

Watch them turn Kotkaniemi into a LW or trade Draisaitl ++ for Parayko and hope that he turns into a PPQB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad