The 2015 Single-A Draft (OPEN Ed.) has ended.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
:huh: I wondered about the pick. Perhaps info to support it is forthcoming. Everyone is encouraged to make the case for their picks, not just drop names. This ain't the ATD where drafting Orr or Fetisov needn't have an argument for it.

that reminds me, I'll be going back to write up a little bit on every guy I've taken the last couple of days.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Would Tom Hooper, RW make a good option there? Hooper made the HHOF and it's clear it wasn't for his offensive ability. We don't know much about him and the consensus appears to be he's one of the weakest early HHOFers, but he played in some important Stanley Cup matches, and was actually 2nd in scoring on Rat Portage (well behind Tommy Phillips) both times they played for the cup.

I've always had him as a RW who can play some D, but his SIHR profile is saying rover. If he's a RW I'd say he looks pretty good here. If not we can hold off on him until drafting spares. Does anyone else have some info?
I'll plop him down as extra skater until more info is provided. He is indicated as defense and rover in league and game records in a couple of places at different times, but also at right wing in bios. Sounds like the ideal extra skater!

Mullen and Hemsky on Galt need to be swapped, just to better balance out the skillsets on those lines. Also Neal and Klima on Brandon.
Done. Also Tippett and Marchand were swapped for New Glasgow to give a two-way line of Marchand - Burns - Larochelle.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'll plop him down as extra skater until more info is provided. He is indicated as defense and rover in league and game records in a couple of places at different times, but also at right wing in bios. Sounds like the ideal extra skater!

Done. Also Tippett and Marchand were swapped for New Glasgow to give a two-way line of Marchand - Burns - Larochelle.

:thumbu:

like it!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Port Arthur selects Orval Tessier, the coach who won at every level he coached. He was the 1983 Jack Adams trophy as best coach in the NHL the year after he won the AHL Calder Cup championship, having gone to the Memorial Cup final the year before that, a Memorial Cup champion from back in his earlier coaching days in 1972. He is known for turning the Blackhawks from one of the worst defensive teams into one of the best by focussing on backchecking, skating and discipline.

mupDwSE8FW74O3M68pFC-0Q.jpg

Al Secord said:
"I played for Don Cherry in Boston and in one way they [Tessier and Cherry] are alike because they stress hard work, but where Don wanted us to be physically intimidating, Orval emphasizes skating, coming back with your check, playing good position in our end."

511907504_o.jpg

From Sports Illustrated in 1982:

Denis Savard, of all people, should've known better than to mouth off at Orval Tessier, the new coach of the Chicago Black Hawks. A dozen or so years ago, Tessier had coached the Hawk center at a youth hockey camp in Verdun, Quebec. One thing Savard learned, he says, was that Tessier's "a guy who lets you know who's boss."

But Gallic temper prevailed over memory when a frustrated Savard skated to the bench early in the third period of the Hawks' Sept. 26 preseason game against Minnesota and flung his gloves on the floor of the players' box. Then, recalls Tessier, "He says to me, 'That bleeping power play isn't working.' So I said to him, 'O.K., you don't bleeping have to play on it.' " Savard, who last year broke the Hawks' single-season scoring record with 119 points and whose scintillating stickhandling makes him a favorite with Chicago fans, spent the rest of the game on the bench while his team skated to a 3-2 loss.

By such remorselessly swift and unpolitic strokes of justice, Tessier, 49, has begun to recast the character of the first NHL team ever entrusted to him. It was a character sorely in need of recasting. In 1981-82, the Hawks were a sort of run-and-mug club that had the seventh-best offense in the 21-team league and the third-worst defense. They surrendered 31 more goals than they scored. In addition, only five teams were assessed more penalty minutes than Chicago, whose infractions included 33 misconducts. The Hawks ended the regular season in fourth place in the Norris Division with a 30-38-12 record. That they clutched and grabbed their way into the semifinals of the playoffs before losing to Vancouver only underscored the point that, while Chicago had talent, it lacked discipline. Today the Hawks seem to have both.

After Sunday's 7-3 win over Toronto, Chicago was 7-2-5 and second to Minnesota in the Norris. The Hawks had scored 13 more goals than they had given up (62 to 49) and, perhaps most indicative of the change Tessier has wrought, had the fourth-fewest penalty minutes in the league and only one misconduct. As for the Savard-Tessier relationship? Not to worry. "Denny came to see me next morning and said he wished it hadn't happened," says Tessier. "I said I wished it hadn't happened, and that was the end of it. I don't have a doghouse. I don't believe in treating human beings that way."

Besides taking quick command of the Hawks, "Orval's proving that better defense doesn't take away from our offense," says Savard, who after 14 games had six goals and 15 assists. So well has Tessier indoctrinated the Hawks with his gospel of defense that they never hesitate to spout one of his favorite maxims: "If we take care of our own end, the other end will take care of itself."
"Thus far he's proven it to us," says Doug Wilson, who last season won the NHL's Norris Trophy (best defenseman) primarily because he scored 39 goals, the second-highest total ever by a defenseman ( Bobby Orr had 49 in 1974-75). This year Wilson leads the Hawks in scoring with 22 points on four goals and 18 assists and in shots on goal with 54. Defensively, though, he's still a liability.:laugh: As a result, in a 3-3 tie with Washington last week, Tessier had a chance to live up to another of his maxims: "I coach for the team, not the player." With nine seconds remaining in the opening period and a face-off in the Chicago defensive zone to the right of Goaltender Tony Esposito—a situation in which Wilson would cover the slot—Tessier left Wilson and his partner, Bob Murray, on the bench and sent out Greg Fox and Keith Brown in their place.

While Tessier later maintained that the decision was no reflection on Wilson's defensive ability, he did say, "Had the face-off been at the other end, Doug would've been out there. He's a great offensive defenseman, and I won't put any shackles on him. But I think we're going to see him become more of a two-way player, which he's perfectly willing to do."

"You work for Orval, you play for him," says Wilson. "That was the first thing he told us. He got our respect right away because he made a lot of moves and sat some people down. That takes guts for a rookie coach." In Chicago's season opener, at home against Toronto, Tessier didn't dress Captain Terry Ruskowski (who was later traded to Los Angeles) or veteran forwards Rich Preston and Grant Mulvey. In goal, he started third-year man Murray Bannerman over Esposito, a 13-season veteran who's revered around Chicago. Since then, the two net-minders have split the chores, with Esposito going 4-0-3 and Bannerman 3-2-2.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126110/index.htm

Though he may be remembered for a coaching gaff which may have cost him the conference final series:
Tessier may be best remembered for a quote during the 1983 Campbell Conference finals. After the Black Hawks gave up 14 goals in falling behind 2–0 to the Edmonton Oilers, Tessier fumed that Chicago players needed "heart transplants". The quip failed to inspire the Hawks, who dropped the final two games of the series at Chicago Stadium, marking the second consecutive year Chicago lost in the Campbell Conference final.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Port Arthur also grabs Sergei Brylin, F

Game+2+Ottawa+Senators+v+New+Jersey+Devils+-7YC_RAWmtCl.jpg

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=26758322&postcount=46

-three Stanley Cups (1995, 2000, 2003). Every other Devils player who was a member of all 3 Cups was picked in the main draft. (Martin Brodeur, Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko).

The ultimate utility player on a champion:
-scoring line center on a Cup winner in 1995
-left wing on a scoring line on a Cup winner in 2000 (the glue guy for the Mogilny lime)
-he was injured for much of the playoff run in 2003, but was usually used as a checking forward by then.
-checking line right wing post-lockout, playing with Madden and Pandolfo when Pandolfo was a Selke finalist
-used in real life as a utility forward - he was the guy who would be slotted into any line or any situation in case of injury, which allowed all the other lines to stay intact.
-regular on the 2nd PP and PK units for most of his career.

Now Port Arthur can grab any winger on their next pick and put Brylin on whatever side that guy doesn't play.

- killed 16% of penalties for teams 15% better than average
- Best VsX: 54, 49, 38, 35, 35, 21, 20
- approximately 2 full seasons at RW, 5 at C, 3 at LW

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
New Glasgow selects Eddie Wares, a right winger who played some defense who had five significant seasons and one decent playoffs, renowned for his clutch play in Detroit. Wares was 4th in team goals his first two seasons (1937-39), going on to be 3rd in team points his career year of 1941-42 (6th in NHL assists), the middle of two double digit goal scoring regular seasons that saw Wares during this 3-year peak on the Liminent Line (with Grosso and Abel) score 94 points, ending with a 6 point 1943 Stanley Cup championship postseason before he joined the war effort.

eddiewares1.jpg

Wares was an instrumental force with the Detroit Red Wings
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14638

The sixth-year right-winger posted a career high with 38 points in 1941-42 and as Detroit raced to a 3-0 lead in its Stanley Cup final series with Toronto, Wares played a large part, setting up the winning goal in Detroit's 3-2 Game 2 victory.

He also played a huge role in the turnaround which saw Toronto win the last four games of the series to take the title. The Leafs were leading 4-3 late in Game 4 when Wares mouthed off to referee Mel Harwood. Harwood, insisting Wares used profanity, assessed the Detroit player a 10-minute misconduct. Denying the charge, Wares refused to go to the penalty box, standing instead by the Detroit bench.

Harwood assessed Detroit a bench minor and ordered forward Don Grosso to serve it. In protest, Grosso laid his stick and gloves at Harwood's feet.

When the game concluded, Grosso, Wares and Detroit manager Jack Adams beat a path towards Harwood and a brawl ensued.

Wares and Grosso were fined $100 each for their actions and Adams was suspended for the remainder of the post-season.

"I never said a thing to (Harwood)," Wares complained. "He said, "You've got yourself a misconduct." I asked, "What for?" and he said, "You don't know what for?"

"He never did tell me. That's why I refused to leave the ice."

It was a black mark on an otherwise solid career for Wares, a talented athlete who performed on Canada's schoolboy track and field team, winning the shot put competition at the 1934 British Empire Scholastic Games in Australia.

Wares was an instant hit with he arrived in Detroit during the 1937-38 season, scoring six goals and two assists in his first eight games. "Every once in a while, hockey produces one of those scoring opportunists, the kind that has a happy faculty for ringing the old gong just when a goal is needed," Adams said. "Wares is one of those birds."

Wares joined the Canadian Navy after the 1942-43 season and never played again for the Wings. His contract was sold to Chicago in 1945 and he spent two seasons with the Blackhawks, leaving the NHL for good in 1947.

TOTALS WITH RED WINGS:
GP-214, G-50, A-84, PTS-134

HONORS:
Played for Detroit's 1942-43 Stanley Cup championship team
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43814

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Bill Barilko, D would make a good partner for Siltanen, on a defense corps that has enough skill and needs more snarl.

bill-barilko.jpg

- Stanley Cup (1947, 1948, 1949, 1951)
- Estimated #4, 4, 3, 4 on the depth chart these 4 seasons
- I estimate he was considered approximately 12th-18th best defenseman in the league in his last three full seasons
- Defense vsX scores: 64, 61, 45, 41, 39
- Played 3.92 seasons worth of games in O6 era (average team SRS 0.33) and 47 playoff games for a team that had 138 GF, 87 GA
- The last goal he ever scored (in overtime), won the Leafs the cup.
- They didn't win another, 'till 1962. The year he was discovered.
- some indications of greatness: in 1947 season, he was one of only five 19 year olds to play in the NHL at all.
- In 1948 season, he was one of only eight players 20 and under to be regulars (50+ games)
- The others were Ed Sandford, Gordie Howe, Jimmy Thomson, Metro Prystai, Red Kelly, Bill Gadsby and Ed Harrison
- This helps us to see where his career was headed.
- We've all heard someone say "if it wasn't for that accident, he'd have been an all-star/HHOFer!" But is that true?
- Unlikely. He was no Gordie Howe or Red Kelly, both multiple all-stars by age 24
- He was also no Ed Harrison, who last played in the NHL at 23
- He had never received a single all-star vote through age 24, just like Gadsby, Sandford, & Prystai
- The latter two carved out good low-end ATD/MLD level careers, the former is one of the best defensemen of all-time. However:
- Jim Thomson was a very good player, deserving ATDer, a month older than Barilko, and a teammate, and had been a 2nd team all-star twice by age 24, and is not in the HHOF
- Therefore, there is absolutely no reason he could/would have been better than Jim Thomson
- Most likely scenario if Barilko doesn't perish in the plane crash, is that he has a long and successful career in the O6 era and is never a postseason all-star but is more appreciated now for what he did as opposed to romanticized for what he might have done.

Five articles from the first few years of THN feature Barilko. They do indicate that he probably had better things in his future than he'd shown. To see up close, right click and say "view image". The compressed images on hfboards will not be detailed enough, the full images are.

2016-01-17%2021.45.02.jpg

2016-01-17%2021.47.21.jpg

2016-01-17%2021.48.19.jpg

2016-01-17%2021.49.34.jpg

2016-01-17%2021.45.47.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Brandon selects Jan Klapac, the right winger on the Holik brothers' line. Klapac played in seven world championships between 1964-1973, including the 1972 gold medal win over the Soviets. He represented Czechoslovakia in three Olympics, most notably scoring 15 points in 10 games in the 1972 Olympics, tying Holik and Nedomansky for the team lead. As well, he finished 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th in Czechoslovakian league scoring.

jan_klapac.jpg

"... a tough competitor in front of the opponents' net"
http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/misc/cssrbiof.htm

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Brandon is up again now and just needs a coach. And extra skaters.

I'll leave the coach for now and take Dale Tallon, D, who was one of the more productive blueliners of the 1970s and also played a couple of seasons at center.

DaleTallon.jpg

- 23.71 minutes per game in 542 games as a defenseman (teams 13% below average)
- also played 100 more games as a center in 1974 and 1975
- Best defense points rankings: 3rd, 3rd, 5th (1971, 1972, 1976)
- Best defense VsX scores: 110, 87, 86, 70, 40, 30, 26
- Played in NHL all-star game (1971, 1972)

Strangely, he was no more productive as a forward, the only telltale statistical sign being that he was only on the ice about half as much as he was other seasons.

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Frank Boucher is still available :naughty:

(I wrote this when I saw VI post about the coach and realize that has passed, but seriously he should be picked as a coach if we go this far)

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Bill Barilko, D would make a good partner for Siltanen, on a defense corps that has enough skill and needs more snarl.
Surprised he's still left.

A two-time member of Sweden's Olympic Team in 1998 and again in 2002, Sundstrom surpassed 600-games played during the 2002-03 season and notched his 300th point as well.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14905

How about a defensive forward who has Selke finishes of 6, 14, and 25, who played on the highest scoring WJC line of all time, creates scoring chances, made 18.2% of his 132 shots one NHL season for 8th in S%, and played 750 NHL games. RW Niklas Sundstrom

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In place of sundstrom... Mike Palmateer, G

- A workhorse who was 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th and 10th in minutes
- Placed 3rd, 4th, 7th in sv%
- It's rare to be top-10 in both minutes and sv% for a goalie taken this low. Most have done it once. He's been top-4 in both at the same time... twice!
- 7 sv% points above the league average in his (short) NHL career (22 points above his backups during his 4-year Leaf career)
- 17 sv% points above league average in his playoff career

G Mike Palmateer

mikepalmateer.jpg

- Memorial Cup (1975)
- 5th in Hart Voting (1979)
- Top-9 in Goalie All-Star voting 4 times (3rd-1979, 7th-1978, 8th-1977, 9th-1983)
- 3rd in NHL wins (1978, 1979)
- 2nd in NHL shutouts (1978, 1979)
- 149-138-52 (.516) in regular season
- 12-17 (.414) in the playoffs
- career playoff sv% of .908 - the league average was .890 in Palmateer's five playoffs. This is an error rate 16% lower than the norm!

Joe Pelletier said:
...The following year he was Palmateer's best season. He played a career high 63 games played, 34 wins and 5 shutouts. Most importantly, he was a key figure in the club’s drive to the Stanley Cup semifinals. He recorded 2 more shutouts in the playoffs. It was the first time since 1967 that the Leafs had become serious contenders for the Stanley Cup.

In those 1978 playoffs Palmateer was at his best during the Leaf's quarter final upset of the New York Islanders.

Mike was an acrobatic goalie, always flopping around on the ice like a fish out of water. He was exciting to watch but every shot seemed like an adventure. He could make an ordinary save look spectacular, but at the same time he often looked bad as an easy shot got past him.

"Palmateer doesn't play text-book goal," said then-Toronto GM Mike Nykoluk. "But he is awfully quick and has great hands and a wonderful sense of anticipation. The idea is to stop the puck, and that's what he does."

Palmateer was extremely confident in his abilities.

"That's my style, and I think that scrambling and challenging the shooter is best for me. I can play with any goalkeeper in the NHL. No one is better than me, and I'm better than most."

Despite the excitement surrounding the Leafs, turmoil ruined that team. Owner Harold Ballard decided to get rid of most of the young budding superstars - Darryl Sittler, Tiger Williams, Lanny McDonald and yes Mike Palmateer. All four of these players had terrible relations with GM Punch Imlach, especially at contract time.

Palmateer recorded 17 shutouts and a goals-against average of 3.53 over an impressive eight-year NHL career. His career totals - 149 wins, 138 losses and 52 ties.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Port Arthur will select a defender who could probably fit into that top-6 but either way is a valuable piece to their team. D - Harold Snepsts

Nov2510_snepsts_rr.jpg

- 6'3", 210 lbs
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1982)
- NHL All-Star game participant (1977, 1982)
- Fred J. Hume Award (unsung hero) (1979)
- 4 x Babe Pratt Award (best defenseman) (1978, 1979, 1980, 1982)
- Killed 49% of penalties for teams 8% below average (one of the highest numbers of all-time)
- Averaged 19.86 minutes per game for 1033 games, 16.89 ES (teams 10% below average)
- Averaged 22.7 minutes per game (19.50 ES) in 7-year prime
- Top-4 in TOI on team 9 times (2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4)
- Top-4 in ES TOI on team 9 times (1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4)
- 101 NHL fights (known record of 15-8-12)

Legends of Hockey said:
Harold Snepsts played 17 seasons in the NHL and the list of injuries the gritty defenceman suffered is as long as his stats page. He has had cuts, breaks, separations, sprains, and numerous operations--from his eye to his knees--and even some plastic surgery to his ear. But when all was said and done, Snepsts was known as a standup defenceman who played every game with intensity and feeling.

The Vancouver Canucks selected Snepsts from the WHL's Edmonton Oil Kings in the 1974 Amateur Draft. He made his NHL debut in the 1974-75 season and in only his third season in the league played in the 1977 All-Star Game. He played in the All-Star Game once again in 1982 when the Canucks made a run for the Cup. They faced the Islanders in the finals but failed to win a game, giving New York their third straight Cup.

Snepsts was traded to the North Stars in 1994 but played only one season there before signing with the Red Wings as a free agent. He helped Detroit get to the conference finals in both 1986-87 and 1987-88, but both times the Detroiters were stopped by the Oilers as the Edmontons headed toward consecutive championships.

Fantastic Bio from Seventies -> http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=93657163&postcount=18

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Port Arthur will also select their other starting 4th line winger, Greg Adams, LW. Adams scored 700 points in a career as a highly energetic crease crashing winger. He was sometimes described as quite physical and solid defensively, other times not so much. He was talented enough to lead an NHL team in scoring twice. He'd be a pretty good scoring line glue guy here and is overqualified for 4th line duty. Too good to pass up.

thumb_1295562022452_357132.jpg

Greg Adams !!!

Awards and Achievements:
NHL All-Star (1988)

Offensive Accomplishments:
743 Points in 1056 NHL Regular Season Games
42 Points in 81 NHL Play-off Games

IIHF Points - 11th(1990)
IIHF Goals - 4th(1990)

Scoring Percentages:
Points – 68, 63, 52, 49, 45, 44, 40, 40
Goals – 65, 57, 57, 48, 43, 43, 41
Assists – 52, 52, 42

Best 6 Seasons: 321

Team Scoring Placements:
Points – 1st(1986), 2nd(1988), 2nd(1996), 3rd(1990), 3rd(1991), 3rd(2000), 4th(1999), 5th(1992),
Goals – 1st(1986), 1st(1990), 2nd(1988), 2nd(1991), 2nd(1996), 3rd(1992), 3rd(1997), 4th(1999), 4th(2000)

Legends of Hockey said:
A native of Nelson, British Columbia, Greg Adams played his junior hockey with the Kelowna Buckaroos of the BCJHL. At the age of 20 he enrolled at the University of Northern Arizona, deciding it would be prudent to achieve an education. During his two seasons at the school, Adams became one of the top offensive performers in the ACHA. NHL scouts took note of Adams's scoring prowess, especially during the 1983-84 campaign, when he netted 44 goals and 73 points in just 26 games.

In the summer of 1984, the New Jersey Devils, who offered him a free-agent contract, approached Adams. During his first year as a pro, Adams spent half the season with the Devils and the other half in the minors with the Maine Mariners where he developed into a stronger two-way player. In 1985-86 Adams won a spot on the Devils roster and in his first full season in the NHL responded with 35 goals and 77 points.

After another season in New Jersey, Adams was traded to the Vancouver Canucks along with goalie Kirk McLean. It was in Vancouver that Adams spent the bulk of his NHL career and is also where he enjoyed most of his personal successes. In over seven seasons with the Canucks, Adams was often relied upon to spearhead the offensive charge along with the likes of Pavel Bure and Trevor Linden. Adams was a homegrown boy from Nelson. "In my first game with Vancouver, we played the St. Louis Blues," Adams recalled. "I scored four goals." He potted a career-high 36 goals in 1987-88, when he played in all 80 Canuck games, which was a rarity throughout his career, suffering from an assortment of nagging injuries, which often kept him on the sidelines.

The highlight of Adams's career came in 1994, when the Canucks came within one game of winning the Stanley Cup, only to lose the deciding seventh game to the New York Rangers. Adams is perhaps best remembered for his two clutch playoff goals that postseason. The first was against the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game Five of the 1994 Conference Finals, the overtime winning goal to complete a comeback from three goals down. The goal sent the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals. Adams then managed to top that when he scored the winning goal in Game One of the finals against the Rangers, but in the end they came up one victory short of the title.

Adams spent three years with the Dallas Stars, but once again found himself on the sidelines when the injury bug hit on more than one occasion. The Stars traded Adams to the Los Angeles Kings at the 1995 NHL Entry Draft, although he never actually played for them. Wanting to prove he could still play in the NHL, Adams signed a free-agent contract with the Phoenix Coyotes in 1998, and he responded with two consecutive 40-plus point seasons. Adams suited up for his 17th and final season in 2000-01 with the Florida Panthers.

Scouting Reports:
Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1986-87 said:
Blossomed into a terrific free agent find… led devils in goals, assists, points, shots… tall and lean, he gained significant bulk prior to last season… engaging personality, he’ll be a quiet leader someday.

Hockey Scouting Report 1986-87 said:
Adams rates well in his skating, puck handling and shooting categories. He is strong on his skates and takes long strides, so he is able to out-distance the opposition without having to go 100 mph. He has good hands, and can use his reach effectively, a la Mario Lemieux. That means Adams can hold the puck away from his body and tease the defense with it, but can keep the pick away from them. Adams has excellent anticipation, something every goal scorer must have, and uses that skill to get into position to fire a hard wrist shot and an occasional slapshot from the slot or blueline. Adams’ defensive play is average and he could be a little more involved in his own zone. But he has the ability to be a 40-goal scorer…

Adams is big but rangy, and he doesn’t use his size to his advantage defensively, sometimes being wrestled off the puck by smaller defensemen or forwards. Greg must bulk up his body, eliminate some of the lankiness and replace it with muscle. He’s not a big hitter but offensively he uses his reach well and has strong hands. Adams has a real good attitude, determined to make the most of the chance he’s been given. He works hard and gives a spark to the team with his efforts. Adams also gives the Devils someons the opposition has to pay attention to, a player who can do a little damage offensively and open things up for his teammates.

Hockey Scouting Report 1987-88 said:
was slow recovering from a concussion last season… lean and rangy with great stick extension. Dangerous on the PP.

Hockey Scouting Report 1988-89 said:
Adams has good to excellent finesse skills that can be put to work fairly well inside the offensive zone. He has a long skating stride and good balance, and he combines good puckhandling ability with that skating skill to penetrate toward the net. He does not have a lot of speed, nor is he particularly agile on his skates, so most of his movement will be up and down, rather than lateral. He uses his outstanding reach to get around the defense, but that became an all-too predictable play on his part and he was easily handled. Greg must learn to move his feet more and he must also think about using the sides of the rink and not just charging straight ahead.

Lack of strength hurts Adams’ game tremendously. He can be taken off the puck by smaller men and so his size – except for his reach – is negated fairly easily. He must develop his strength in order to compete successfully night after night against NHL opposition… last year, as he drifted from one slump to another, he just drifted on the ice as well. He didn’t work to free himself from checks, didn’t work to create opportunities offensively, didn’t work period. All in all, a successful sophomore slump… when he is going, Adams is the closest thing the Devils have to a true goal scorer. Unfortunately, Adams no longer surprised anyone in the NHL last year, and he mist reapply himself and correct his weaknesses to be successful again.

Hockey Scouting Report 1989-90 said:
The thing that powers Adams as a scorer is his anticipation. He gets into position to score very well and that sense makes his other finesse skills better. He is a good, but not outstanding skater in terms of speed and agility, but his long stride can carry him past the opposition. Once in the clear his good balance lets him lean and swoop inside and around the opposition, but he is not a very agile player in terms of quick turns or stops and starts. He could improve his skating by improving his foot speed; that way he’d snare more loose pucks around the goal by going for them, instead of reaching for them as he does now… His straight-at-the-goal style is complemented by his puckhandling and reach. Greg carries the puck well when he moves up ice and he uses his reach and balance to lean away from the defense and head to the net. Adams’ shot is good, a hard wrist shot released fairly quickly. He has the strength to blow a few past the goaltender from farther out, but he’s going to move in closer for his goals. That shot and ability to get open make him a power play regular.

Greg doesn’t play a physical game and his lack of strength is one good reason why. He has great size in terms of height and reach, but he lacks the bulk to make a physical game work. Improved strength would be of great benefit to his game. He uses his reach excellently to snare loose pucks, and Adams is very good at shielding the puck with his body. When he works to free himself from his checks, Adams will be successful. His movement creates openings in the offensive zone and the defense has to respect his scoring ability. But Greg’s problem is one of inconsistent effort (especially defensively)

Hockey Scouting Report 1990-91 said:
Greg succeeds as a scorer because of his ability to get into scoring position… he’s an unexceptional skater, but he does have very good balance… Greg carries the puck well when he moves up-ice but because he lacks the requisite agility he could not be considered a puckhandling threat; he’ll succeed by keeping the puck away from the defense because of his reach.

Adams has exceptional reach, but his great size is contradicted by his lack of strength… he has no real bulk… his wingspan is almost unmatched in the league (only Mario Lemieux and Joel Otto come to mind)… Adams does this good-year-bad-year thing, so this season is supposed to be a good year. He has certain exceptional things, but Greg hasn’t shown any signs of doing the things necessary to improve his game and raise it to a consistent level. And his defense is so poor, he practically renders his offense useless.

Hockey Scouting Report 1991-92 said:
Adams is a goal scorer (sometimes) and he plays like a goal scorer. He shoots the puck with good strength and quickness, and he gets himself into good shooting position near the net. He can also bring the puck from a distance… His defense suffers by virtue of his slow skating and poor reads of the ice… he’s an inconsistent player who has shown no sign of making his game a dependable one.

Hockey Scouting Report 1992-93 said:
Adams is a good open ice skater and has some shifty moves. He is very mobile, and can go inside/outside with the puck to set up his shots. Adams likes to shoot, and is very accurate with snap shot that he always uses over the slap. It takes less time to use that weapon, and it complements what speed he has, plus the feints, that force the goalies to react while in motion. He is not, however, a distance threat because the snap loses its effectiveness from long range. Adams is an attentive checker, but as that is not a teamwide trait, he has spent the last few seasons on the minus side of the ledger.

An honest player, Adams stands up for himself. He maximizes his height by using his reach effectively to shield the puck… one of his team’s top players talent-wise, yet the respect is more within the Canucks dressing room than in the quarters of other teams. He isn’t THE Vancouver player that opponents worry about, Linden is. But with more determination and grit, more impact, Adams could lift his team, help it set and attain loftier goals. He would have to stay in the lineup more to achieve that aim, however, and find some way to add bite to a quiet game.

Sharks and Prey 1992-93 said:
Playing alongside Larionov and Bure for most of the season, Adams quietly piled up 30 goals and seems to be the designated forward to come back into his own zone. He spent a lot of time watching Igor and Pavel dangling with the puck, but his value should not be underestimated. He even put in a relativey injury-free season, losing only 4 games this past year. Not afraid to muck in the corners, Adams has the size to come out with the puck and has some decent moves of his own.

Hockey Scouting Report 1993-94 said:
Before leaving the Canucks, Igor Larionov said in his entire career, he had never played with a more unselfish linemate than Adams. There aren’t many higher compliments. Adams has great speed, a hard shot from the wing, and may be the team’s best player at driving to the net. He never takes the easy way, though; instead he takes the straightest path. If there are people in the way, Adams usually takes a checker or a defenseman with him, often ends up bouncing off posts and crossbars, and usually ends up paying some kind of physical price for having attempted the scoring play. While he often gets up a head of steam, steps into the puck and shoots from the wing, that is always a second option. Adams prefers to try to beat the defenseman one-on-one first, get closer to the net and then shoot. Adams was always an attentive checker in the defensive zone, but his play there improved this season.

The way he goes to the net makes Adams anything but a perimeter player. While he is not an eager hitter, his rushes to the net qualify him as a significantly physical player. He is not a fighter, but no opponent is going to intimidate him. He more than accepts the checking attention he receives as the top-scoring LW on the team, but merely works harder to shed the checker rather than getting frustrated into a penalty he has no interest in taking. Adams is a quiet man, easygoing off the ice, so if you want a catch phrase for him, it is “quietly efficient”. He is an extremely underrated, extremely important scorer and an extremely important player who is also a gentleman; that makes him no less of a game player, however.

Hockey Almanac 1993-94 said:
enjoyed a resurgence once he returned home to play for Vancouver… an up-and-down winger, Adams plays with a mixture of conservatism and reliability. He’s an excellent finisher… he has played only one full schedule but has enjoyed excellent production even in a diminished time frame.. despite his large frame, Adans doesn’t play a physical style, and injuries have hampered him. Last year he was on his way to a career year before suffering a charley horse when Nick Kypreos caught him with an open-ice check… Adams is a stedy, if unspectacular winger who works hard every shift and has outgrown an earlier propensity to fall into slumps and doldrums. In a winning environment, he has enjoyed a productive career.

WILL – find the net
CAN’T – play physically
EXPECT – 25 goals
DON’T EXPECT – a grinder

Hockey Scouting Report 1994-95 said:
The Canucks missed Adams grievously when he was sidelined twice during the season with injuries. Pavel Bure missed him most of all, since Adams was the lone Vancouver winger who could keep pace with the Russian Rocket. Adams has terrific speed, deceptive because he is such an efficient skater that his skating looks effortless.

He can shoot a hard slap shot on the fly off the wing, but most of his goals come from within five feet of the net. He drives fearlessly to the goal, and he likes to arrive by the most expedient route possible. If that means crashing through defensemen, then so be it. Adams has good shifty moves in deep and is an unselfish player. He played a lot of center early in his career and is as good a playmaker as finisher. One of the few knocks on him is that he should shoot more, but playing with Bure, he doesn’t get as many opportunities. Pavel loves to shoot, and Adams’ job is to get to the net for rebounds. His +/- is no accident. He has worked hard at improving his defensive awareness and has become a complete hockey player.

Adams’ crease crashing style exacts a price, and he is nearly always wearing an ice pack or getting medical attention for a nick or bruise somewhere on his person. Yet he always comes right back for more. He is physical and tough without being an aggressor. Adams does not fight, and considering the checking attention he gets, he remains remarkably calm and determined, seldom taking bad retaliatory penalties. He just gets the job done. Adams is one of the more underrated players on a Canucks squad that has enjoyed some success over the past two seasons. He always shows up for the opening faceoff and is battling through the final buzzer.

McKeen’s 1994-95 said:
reliable yet oft-injured… was invaluable force in playoff drive toiling on 1st line with Linden and Bure. Powerful and aggressive with good scoring touch.

Hockey Almanac 1994-95 said:
There’s nothing fancy about Adams. He skates up and down his wing and is rarely caught out of position. His linemates always know where to find him with the puck. He has good hands and doesn’t quit on a puck, driving to the net and finishing his plays. He has a good shot and will let fly from the wing, but usually takes the puck to the net. His size makes him effective in the slot. For his size, Adams doesn’t play a physical game and is beginning to spend nearly as much time in the lineup as in the medical room.. whatever Adams can contribute is pure gravy. The deal that landed him in Vancouver continues to be one of the biggest steals in franchise history, considering what he and McLean have provided in turning the Canucks into a winning organization…

WILL – score regularly
CAN’T – dodge the injury bug
EXPECT – 25 goals, when healthy
DON’T EXPECT – a physical player

Hockey Scouting Report 1995-96 said:
serious injuries continue to dog Adams. A midseason operation on his hand left it difficult for him to handle the puck, and when he tried gamely to perform, he was compromised by the ailment… he is tougher than he looks.

Hockey Almanac 1995-96 said:
In Dallas, his size and skating will be valuable… Adams is smart and consistent, and plays his wing conservatively. His ability to hold his ground in the slot makes him an effective PP weapon… the Canucks are a big, crash-and-smash team, and Adams had the size to join in the fun, but he simply couldn’t – or wouldn’t – play a physical game. Despite his size, he has a reputation for spending an excessive amount of time on the injured list… In the 1994 Stanley Cup semifinals, Adams scored a dramatic OT goal that put the Canucks in the finals for the first time in 12 years. He added another OT winner in game one of the final.

WILL – add veteran leadership
CAN’T – find 30-goal range
EXPECT – steady play if healthy
DON’T EXPECT – overly physical play

Hockey Almanac 1996-97 said:
Adams is a coach’s dream. He’s smart and predictable. He doesn’t take a lot of chances or get caught out of position. He has a goal scorer’s hands around the net and has the size to penetrate the slot and hang tough in front. He shoots well and can fire with mustard from the outside…He fits the Stars’ defensive style but rarely goes out of his way to deliver a hit or send a message. Throughout his career, he has often been criticized for playing “soft”. He has battled injuries, but in recent times, however, his health has been fine. Adams is a killer in the clutch.

WILL – play a leadership role
EXPECT – smart, clutch game
DON’T EXPECT – a heavy hitter

Hockey Scouting Report 1996-97 said:
Adams is faster than he looks because he has a long, almost lazy stride, but covers a lot of ground with an apparent lack of effort… one of his best scoring moves is a high backhand in tight. He always has his head up and is looking for the holes… always appreciated by his coach and teammates because of his attitude and work habits.

McKeen’s 1996-97 said:
Oft-injured winger was starting to hit his stride before breaking hand in March. Big and strong with good speed; however he does tend to lose confidence when things aren’t going well.

Sports Forecaster 1996-97 said:
a good 2nd line player. Uses his size to his advantage and has soft enough hands around the net to contribute offensively. Biggest knock is that he always seems to get injured just when he gets things going during the season. Staying healthy all season long is a major goal. If he can, he will be an important part of this team. He has a good work ethic and this can rub off on some of the Stars’ young prospects.

Hockey Scouting Report 1997-98 said:
Adams has a light frame and always plays hard, which is why he is so vulnerable to injury

Sports Forecaster 1997-98 said:
played really well and led the Stars in goals before being sidelined in goals before being sidelined in December… injury prone, 30-goal scorer with somewhat of a power-forward style. Natural goal scorer’s flair and hands. Clutch performer. Often gets his chances close in and has the size, strength and kamikaze attitude required to drive to the net. Reliable defensively. Fragile athlete who’ll miss 20 games per season on average. Mediocre skater.

McKeen’s 1998-99 said:
The injury barrage continued for hard-luck veteran, including Marchment cheapshot #3, and subsequent knee surgery… when healthy, he is a productive winger with good size and speed who isn’t afraid to crash the net looking for seconds. Re-aggravated an old neck injury during the playoffs and risks permanent damage if he continues playing.

Hockey Scouting Report 1998-99 said:
He played despite a degenerating disk in his neck, an injury that will probably end his career. For someone who spends as much time getting whacked in the high traffic areas, he has a remarkably long fuse. He remains calm and determined, seldom taking bad retaliatory penalties… He can accomplish so much when he is in the lineup, but you can never count on a full season out of him.

Sports Forecaster 1999-00 said:
The LW had another solid season and remined virtually injury-free for the first time in years. Has been with several organizations, but has always put up decent numbers. A rangy forward with a nice touch from close in.

McKeen’s 1999-00 said:
proved a valuable 2nd line addition, but could not evade the injury bug that has dogged his career after a nagging groin injury limited him to just three postseason appearances. Strong skating finesse winger has good speed, size and hands, and was a consistent producer throughout the year.

Hockey Scouting Report 1999-00 said:
Has excellent hands for re-directions and rebounds – not as good as Joe Nieuwendyk’s, but close… he reads his defensemen’s pinches well and is always back to cover up at the point

Hockey Scouting Report 2000-01 said:
an extremely popular player with his teammates and fans. You keep waiting for Adams to fade, but he keeps coming back with a serviceable season.

McKeen’s 2000-01 said:
stayed relatively healthy for the second straight year, and continued to supply vital offense… smart, strong skating winger with good hands, he plays a steady two-way game and effectively uses his size and speed to drive for scoring positions.
[/CENTER]

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Galt selects Lyle Odelein, D, pretty much another version of Harold Snepsts, who somehow managed to play for Canada in a best on best tournament. A strictly defensive defenseman, he could hit, clear the crease and fight at an elite level.

Odelein.jpg

- Stanley Cup (1993)
- He was only Montreal's #6 defenseman at this time
- Played 19.13 minutes per game for 1056 games, for teams 4% better than average - with minimal PP time
- 20.79 minutes per game in his 9-season prime (1994-2002)
- suprisingly did not kill many penalties - just 27%, below average for a defenseman
- was top-3 in TOI 5 times: 1994 and 1995 Habs, 1998 Devils, 2001 Jackets, 2002 Jackets/Hawks
- However, was top-3 in ESTOI every year from 1994-2001 (except 2000)
- Played for Canada in 2006 World Cup
- 260 Career NHL Fights (65-43-60)

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Brandon selects their Head Coach..a man who has coached over 1400 games (winning 648 of them), has won the division title four times, made it to the finals once and has also coached internationally as well. While there are names like John Tortorella, Randy Carlyle, Alf Smith and Red Berenson out there, Brandon instead goes with Coach - Ron Wilson.

wilson1.jpg

1401 Games Coached (648-561-101-91)
95 Playoff Games Coached (47-48)
4 Division Titles
1 Stanley Cup Final (with Washington)
Jack Adams Voting: 2-3-5
Coached 1996 US World Cup Team to a Gold Medal
Coached 2010 US Olympic Team to a Silver Medal
Coached 1996 US WC Team to a Bronze Medal

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Brandon selects their Head Coach..a man who has coached over 1400 games (winning 648 of them), has won the division title four times, made it to the finals once and has also coached internationally as well. While there are names like John Tortorella, Randy Carlyle, Alf Smith and Red Berenson out there, Brandon instead goes with Coach - Ron Wilson.

wilson1.jpg

1401 Games Coached (648-561-101-91)
95 Playoff Games Coached (47-48)
4 Division Titles
1 Stanley Cup Final (with Washington)
Jack Adams Voting: 2-3-5
Coached 2010 US Olympic Team to a Silver Medal
Coached 1996 US WC Team to a Bronze Medal

Also won the 1996 world cup for USA.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Brandon will add C/LW Stu Barnes, a sort of all-around good guy who is not the first guy you think of to man a scoring line or provide muscle for one, nor a shutdown player, but is a solid all around citizen who could fill in anywhere in the lineup as needed.

Barnes scored 600 points and many more in the playoffs, where he was an underrated contributor to two cinderella finals runs. He also killed a lot of penalties later in his career. Barnes was good for at least 30 points in any full season from 1994 to 2006, more often than not 40, proving a decent gritty secondary scorer at the height of the DPE.

poor man's Martin Gelinas?

5216-59Fr.jpg

- Stanley Cup Finalist (1996, 1999)
- Best VsX: 71, 53, 49, 48, 45, 42, 41
- 597 points in 1136 games
- 62 points in 116 playoff games
- Killed 27% of penalties for teams 14% better than average

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Galt needs an extra forward and they go with a guy who could fit in on some scoring lines in this draft. He had a hard shot and a lot of speed which helped him find success in both the NHL and WHA. RW - Wayne Connelly.

50394_100884996614629_5559_n.jpg

x1 Top 10 NHL Goals (6th in '68)
x3 Top 10 WHA Goals (9th, 6th, 4th)
x1 Top 10 WHA Assists (8th)
x1 Top 5 WHA Points (5th in '74)
x2 WHL Second All-Star Team (1965, 1966)

Scuderi's Bio -> http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=37621647&postcount=136

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
connelly had a case as possibly the most accomplished offensive forward available.

New Glasgow selects Arnie Brown, D.

I'll post a link to his bio just as soon as I find it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=93059911&postcount=6

Arnie Brown, D
AB0509.jpg

11th in AST voting 1967
Legends of Hockey said:
As a Leaf prospect, the young rearguard spent most of his time sharpening his game with the Rochester Americans of the AHL until 1964. It was at that time that he was packaged up with a host of other Leaf talent and sent to the Rangers in exchange for Andy Bathgate and Don McKenney.

Brown landed his first regular NHL action with the Blueshirts in 1964-65. It was at that time that he established his game as a functional, stay-at-home rearguard who left the more dynamic play to his defensive partner, Harry Howell. In 1967, Brown served as the backdrop to Howell's Norris Trophy season as the league's top defender.

Several years later, Brown teamed up with Brad Park and put in two unprecedented seasons of offensive output. It was the heart of the Bobby Orr era when blueliners began to think and act more offensively. Brown got into the act with 36 points in 1969-70. But during the playoffs of that year, he blew out his knees, which precipitated the demise of his career. Numerous operations on both legs were required with a piece of his mobility disappearing with each intervention.
The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1972 said:
Club depends on him for defensive leadership...a fine rusher, was second highest scoring defenseman in league two years ago, trailing only scoring champ Bobby Orr...
The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1973 said:
Personable blue line operative who has been an NHL regular ever since coming into the league in 1964...An excellent skater...Likes to rush with the puck...Is considered one of the defensive leaders of Red Wings...Master of rolling hip check.
Topps card 1964-65 said:
Bright prospect in Toronto system, Arnie was acquired by Rangers last February in five-for-two deal. Aggressive as defenseman.
Topps card 1965-66 said:
Hard checking backliner, Arnie came to New York in package deal for Andy Bathgate. Can break quickly on rushes up ice.
Topps card 1966-67 said:
One of the Rangers toughest defencemen, Arnie is also one of the most penalized but effective players behind the Ranger blueline. Starting his third year with Rangers, he is one of the younger players who is maturing by NHL standards.
Topps card 1967-68 said:
Although one of the smallest defensemen in the NHL, Arnie is one of the toughest. Starting his fourth season as a Ranger, Arnie cut his penalty total almost in half last season without cutting his effectiveness on the blue line.
O-Pee-Chee card 1968-69 said:
"Brownie" came on strong last season and established a name for himself. He's a top rusher and good puck carrier...A rolling hip check is one of Arnie's favorite tricks.
Topps card 1969-70 said:
Arnie Brown developed into a double-barreled threat last season, hitting for a surprising 10 goals and putting in another improving year on defense.
O-Pee-Chee card 1972-73 said:
Arnie is a fine, rushing defenseman who clears the puck very well...Arnie's a hard-hitting type.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2