The 2015 Single-A Draft (OPEN Ed.) has ended.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Brandon starts the 4th line with Tiger Williams, LW.

4851-97Fr.jpg

- Best VsX: 47, 42, 41, 40, 35, 34, 32
- 390 NHL fights (though his recorded record is just 21-31-35)
- played in 1981 All-Star Game
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1982)
- Only missed the playoffs once
- 513 Pts in 962 games

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Galt adds to a combative 4th line with Willi Plett, RW

Willi Plett, RW

10634.jpg

- 6’3”, 205 lbs
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1988)
- Best percentage scores: 52, 46, 41, 35, 33, 32
- Six 20-goal seasons, two with 30+
- Not a big PP scorer, he was better at ES: Four 20+ ESG seasons, one 30+
- Best ES points percentages: 63, 62, 49, 48, 45, 39
- Solid 46 points in 83 playoff games
- 203 NHL Fights, 32nd all-time
- 25-20-53 record in limited results at www.dropyourgloves.com

loh.net said:
Plett didn't start playing organized hockey until age 12 although once he caught on, he fell in love with the game. But by the time he made the junior level with the St. Catharines Blackhawks of the OHA, he lacked finesse and aggressiveness. As a result, his coach, Hap Emms, demoted him to a tier-two level club.

From that point forward, Plett began to barge around the ice, playing roughhouse hockey. It didn't do too much to raise his stock in the draft, but the Atlanta Flames eventually picked him up in the 4th round in 1975.

Plett tried his hand with the Flames for a couple of games before heading to Tulsa for tutelage from a coach who could understand his needs, former NHL enforcer Orland Kurtenbach.

The following season, Plett started the year in Tulsa, but then got the call to join the Flames where he made a surprise splash, netting 33 goals in 64 games. By season's end, he had secured the Calder Trophy as the league's best rookie.

Clearly Willi Plett was a big, tough player who thrived on aggressiveness and fighting. But he brought much more to the rink than a set of brass knuckles. He could play the game. In 1980-81, with the Calgary Flames, Plett scored a career-high 38 goals.

But not long after his transition to the Minnesota North Stars, in 1982-83, his role was changed from a bellicose goal scorer to exclusively that of a pugilist. As a result his point production fell way off and as he approached age 30, he simply lost the desire to strut around the rink talking tough and fighting. He noted that as he got older, it was as though he became too mature to act that stupid.

In 1987, the Bruins picked him up in the Waiver Draft. With a lineup replete with tough guys, Plett was finally able to assume a role as a support player. With his former nemesis, Terry O'Reilly as coach, Plett enjoyed team leadership that understood his situation as the aging gunslinger. As such, the Bruins made a solid run in the playoffs, making it to the finals, only to be shut out by the Edmonton Oilers. It was Plett's final game in the NHL.

Joe Pelletier said:
Willi was never much of a skater but was a hard worker and a team player. He used his muscles in and around the goal cage and was hard to move away from the slot. Willi had a very short junior career and only played a handful of games for Niagara Falls and St. Catherines. He was regularly criticized for not using his size to his advantage. Despite that, someone from the Atlanta Flames scouts saw him and liked what they saw. The Flames drafted him with their 4th choice, 80th overall in 1975.

Willi started his professional career in CHL for Atlanta's farm team, Tulsa Oilers. Plett is quick to credit head coach Orland Kurtenbach for making him into an NHL player. Kurtenbach was a similar player to Plett. Both got off to late starts in their hockey careers, and both made it in the NHL due to their size and willingness to use it. It was Kurtenbach who convinced Plett to charge into corners aggressively, be the immovable object in front of the net, and be willing to battle with all comers.

Willi scored 20 goals in his first 35 games, while fellow NHL rookie Don Murdoch of NY Rangers (who scored 16 goals in his first 16 games), to create one of the most interesting races in the history of the Calder Trophy as the rookie of the year. While Murdoch was slumping during the second half of the season, Willi continued playing strong two way hockey for the Flames. Willi finished his rookie season with 33 goals and 56 points in 64 games and won the Calder Trophy.

Willi had some stellar seasons in Atlanta / Calgary. His best season goal and point wise came during the 1980-81 season. He scored 38 goals and had 68 points. He was a fan favorite in both Atlanta and Calgary because of his aggressive player. Yes, Plett was a feared heavyweight NHL fighter, but, save for his plodding skating, he was also an extremely good player.

"His greatest plus is his size. No one can forget he is out there running around. And my biggest defenseman can't handle him in front," suggest Atlanta coach Fred Creighton. "He had one ability," says Cliff Fletcher, long time Atlanta/Calgary GM and one of Plett's earliest believers, "In all sorts of heavy traffic he could get the puck, snap off a shot real quick and most times it was pretty accurate. And he was big. I had to like that."

Willi spent five relatively anonymous seasons in Minnesota. Despite once scoring 4 goals in a single game while in Minny, his role seemingly was reduced to that of pugilist more than all around player. The old Norris division featured some bitter rivalries and many brawls. His goal totals dwindled while his fighting majors and penalty minute totals increased. As he aged, the intimidating, ornery warrior found he less and less enjoyed the game… The veteran only played one year in Boston before retiring after the 1987-88 season. It almost became a very memorable season. He helped Boston reach the Stanley Cup final, where they lost to the strong Edmonton Oilers team.

Willi played hardnosed hockey all the time and finished his 13 year NHL career with 2572 penalty minutes in only 834 regular season games, still ranking him among the all time leaders in PIMs. Willi could not only fight but also put the puck in the net. He had 437 points (222 goals and 215 assists) in 834 regular season games and 46 points (24 goals and 22 assists) in 83 playoff games. In addition, he retired with 466 NHL playoff penalty minutes, once an NHL record.

No, Willi Plett was never in the running for the Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play, In 1980, he landed a huge bodycheck on Philadelphia's Paul Holmgren, and the ensuing fight touched off a bench--clearing brawl. In 1982, he was suspended for eight games for a sticks-winging incident with Detroit goalie Greg Stefan. In the 1984 playoffs, he went after Blackhawks goalie Murray Bannerman after being speared, touching off a bench-clearing brawl. The next season, Plett and Detroit's Greg Smith began to fight as the teams went to their dressing rooms after the first period, The ensuing brawl included a wrestling match between coaches Glen Sonmor and Nick Polano. In 1988, he received a five-minute head-butting penalty during a fight-fest between Boston and Quebec in which 219 minutes in penalties were doled out.

THN yearbook 1978 said:
The odds against such a happening (Plett storming back to win the Calder following a call-up) are immense, but the blonde, bony visaged RW did just that. He did it by scoring 33 goals – and more importantly, making the Atlanta Flames first line a going concern.

“Plett put life into Eric Vail and Tom Lysiak,” reports Flames coach Fred Creighton. “You could say he was the spark that made Atlanta take flame. Lysiak wasn’t himself and who could blame him? (after being ripped off by his agent) and Vail was coming back from an injury riddled year. Both of guys had been there before, but they needed Willi’s zest and desire to get them going.”

The odds Plett surmounted are unbelievable: His junior coach told him he wasn’t aggressive enough. Creighton didn’t think he had enough skills to score consistently. Being born in Paraguay doesn’t help the average young man become a hockey player… and even though he moved to Canada as a young child, he didn’t take up hockey until he was 12.

…in the OHA, his work didn’t please coach Paul Emms. “If somebody would put a mean streak in you, Willi, you might make a pretty good hockey player.” Plett didn’t like it, but finally got the message and now admits: “Emms was right. For my size you could say my lack of hitting was a weakness. I came to the conclusion that if I didn’t hit anyone, I wouldn’t go very far.

Don Murdoch (Calder Runner-up) isn’t the two-way hockey player that Plett has made himself become. Neither is Roland Eriksson, the Minnesota north stars center, who led all rookies in scoring with 69 points. Nor is Paul Gardner, who had 59 and did well on the point during power plays. The impact Plett made in the NHl is shown by the fact that he was only 4th in the rookie point parade. “Plett is simply a better hockey player than those guys,” said King Clancy. “He does more things well than any of them. Most of them play offense, more than defense.”

“Not hitting enough wasn’t the only complaint that Emms had. I couldn’t really shoot the puck good enough to suit him either.”… his sudden upsurge in shooting ability came from participating in normal practice sessions and one on one shootouts… when he was ripping the NHL apart last year, Creighton was openly doubtful he could keep it up. “He doesn’t have wonderful moves and he doesn’t deke anybody. His shot is just so-so. It’s not as good as Eric Vail’s.” He feels Plett’s emergence as something of a fair-haired hero helped the crowd. “He charges into the corners, bangs people along the boards and goes into the slot looking for a mixup. The crowd likes that. He gets garbage goals, because he stands boulderlike in the slot. “I aim for the corners when I get the puck in the slot, and I think I do it more than most hockey players. I think, because of lacrosse, I go for spots someone else might not even think about trying for.”

Plett worries that he is starting to think too much about goals and not enough about defense. “I hope winning the Calder doesn’t mean I have to score too much in order to keep things going. I feel if I worry about scoring, I won’t do the rest of my job. I know that some of my goals last year were scored when the goalie was messed up. I don’t want to be in the penalty box all the time. I think the balance between scoring and being in the box can become a real problem to me.”

“I would take his problems in a minute,” emphasized Ted Harris, the North Stars’ coach. “His greatest plus is his size. No one can forget he is out there running around. And my biggest defensemen can’t handle him in front.” Plett may not be a fast or skillful skater, and he doesn’t have half the polished moves of a tactician like Eriksson, but he has size, guts and accuracy with the puck in front of the net – and the ability to make thigns happen in the corners. He served 124 minutes in penalties but most were “good” penalties.

Last season Fletcher, sensing that something extra was needed on the Vail-Lysiak line, kept pushing for Plett to polish his skills and make the big team.

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1978 said:
One of the new breed of big, strong rookies who can score goals, check and play aggressively when needed… strong skater and outstanding in corners… plays the game hard.

OPC 1977-78 said:
possesses a strong wrist shot and fine scoring ability, he’s acknowledged as one of the Flames’ aggressive players.

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1979 said:
Wild Willi… strong and tough and by far the club leader in PIM… throws some of the hardest checks around… despite rough and tumble style, he’s a quiet, friendly guy.

Toronto Star said:
BEST FIGHTER:
1. Stan Jonathan, Barry Beck (tie)
3. Willi Plett
4. Terry O’Reilly
5. Clark Gillies

OPC 1979 said:
A favourite with the Omi fans for his rough and tumble style of play. Has a winning attitude.

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1980 said:
returned to form what won him Calder trophy… throws hard check… also throws hard punch… can let temper get in the way of game… recovered booming shot after returning from leg injuries… uses size as well as anyone.

OPC 1981 said:
A strong skater who’s not shy of the corners, Willi throws some of the hardest checks in the NHL… has scored key goals.

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1981 said:
once a feared checker, needs to be motivated… gives opponents the willies… tough checker, tougher fighter…

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1982 said:
size and strength make him important policeman type on a fairly placid team… devastating forechecker who bowls people over… seldom challenged to fisticuffs because of his size and strength.

THN Yearbook 1983 said:
Plett waged a battle with ex-Flames coach Al MacNeil last season and had an off-year as a result… Nanne is obviously banking that Plett can be inspired to play his physical brand of hocky that will enable some of the Stars’ smoothies more room to operate.

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1983 said:
Acquired to add some muscle… inconsistency has been the consistent factor of his career… big, tough, good skills and a strong shot… one of the league’s most feared cornermen and fighters.. size and strength mean he’s challenged only by the foolhardy.

THN Yearbook 1984 said:
Plett, who gives the Stars some much-needed muscle…

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1984 said:
One of the NHL’s toughest along the boards and in the corners… a feared fighter…

THN Yearbook 1985 said:
Players such as… Willi Plett will not allow the stars to be outmuscled.

THN Yearbook 1986 said:
Then there’s Plett. He has the toughness that every team covets, but many won’t touch. While he may be overrated by some standards, he still has a lot of belief in himself, and he proved that last season in the playoffs. Plett awoke from the doldrums and was a quality performer for his team. It’s the annual Trivial Pursuit question whether he will be the giant for the Stars in the sleeping or scoring department.

Hockey Scouting Report 1986-87 said:
Plett is a good skater, surprisingly so for a man of his size. He has good balance that makes him somewhat agile and he’s also equipped with a little bit of speed, too. However, like most big forwards, he has some difficulty with his turns. He handles the puck fairly well and that’s because the opposition gives him a lot of room when he’s on the ice. But Plett can move well with the puck in front of him. He likes to use his teammates but his hands are a little tough and he has neither the touch nor the anticipation to be an exceptional playmaker. Plett doesn’t have much of a shot and will do almost all of his scoring from the front of the net, deflecting pucks or tucking in rebounds. Defensively, he was horrendous last year. He wanders from his position in the defensive zone, leaving openings, and doesn’t follow his check back through center ice.

Plett is a very physical player – and he uses his body very effectively. He doesn’t hit as often as he used to, but Plett still has the strength and force to be a punishing hitter. He also has superior upper body strength and can outmuscle anyone along the boards, though he often doesn’t know what to do with the puck after he gets it. When he plants himself in front of the opposition net Plett is almost impossible to move and he does a good job of pestering the goaltender to distraction. Because of his size, Plett also makes an effective screen for his teammates and he is more than willing to take any punishment heading his way for the privilege of standing in the crease. Willi is a good fighter, but mostly unchallenged nowadays. Plett’s value comes when he opens space for his teammates, something he does every time he’s out on the ice. Of course, his ability to intimidate the opposition has long been his value.

Hockey Scouting Report 1987-88 said:
somewhat agile, but not very quick… hands are too tough to be even a fair playmaker… defensively no better than adequate… obviously the physical game is his strength… intimidation is a role he is growing tired of… don’t misunderstand, Plett has no conception that he is Wayne Gretzky. Rather, 11 years of police work has taken its toll… but he will continue to fill his role and, though he doesn’t get off the bench in the fast games, Plett comes to play every night. He is also a team leader in the dressing room.

Hockey Scouting Report 1988-89 said:
he’ll need plenty of time and space to put home a rebound… struggles defensively against a speedy forward… good fighter, but doesn’t have the heart for it anymore… he’s effective as a deterrent, but his time is almost up. After all, what do you do with a fighter who doesn’t want to fight?

FIGHTS PLUS SCORING!
Here is a list of the 15 forwards who are currently in the top-50 all-time for NHL fights and are in any way arguably AAA draft material or better:

Name | class | GP | Fights | rank | win% | Points | Playoff Points
Tiger Williams | light-heavyweight | 962 | 332 | 2 | 0.435 | 513 | 35
Bob Probert | heavyweight | 935 | 302 | 4 | 0.686 | 384 | 48
Marty Mcsorley | heavyweight | 961 | 274 | 9 | 0.646 | 359 | 29
Kelly Buchberger | light-heavyweight | 1182 | 257 | 13 | 0.37 | 309 | 24
*** ********** | middleweight | 1083 | 249 | 15 | 0.516 | 336 | 13
***** ****** | middleweight | 720 | 237 | 18 | 0.627 | 268 | 26
Rick Tocchet | light-heavyweight | 1144 | 230 | 21 | 0.731 | 952 | 112
Dale Hunter | middleweight | 1407 | 227 | 23 | 0.506 | 1020 | 118
Terry O'Reilly | heavyweight | 891 | 223 | 24 | 0.642 | 606 | 67
Randy McKay | light-heavyweight | 932 | 216 | 25 | 0.508 | 363 | 43
Al Secord | heavyweight | 766 | 210 | 28 | 0.473 | 495 | 55
Willi Plett | heavyweight | 834 | 203 | 32 | 0.526 | 437 | 46
Brian Sutter | light-heavyweight | 779 | 200 | 35 | 0.64 | 636 | 42
**** ******* | heavyweight | 535 | 192 | 40 | 0.703 | 200 | 20
Darren McCarty | light-heavyweight | 758 | 174 | 48 | 0.63 | 288 | 49

Tocchet, Hunter,O’Reilly and Sutter are ATD players who are obviously much better than Plett. But after that, it gets pretty muddy. Al Secord is always an ATD player, and though he’s better than Plett, it’s a pretty marginal edge. Tiger Williams is typically in the ATD but his prime scoring numbers are identical to Plett’s and he was a more frequent, but not as effective fighter. That comparison could go either way. McSorley’s numbers include over half a career as a defenseman, he’s definitely better. Beyond that, there is no one who combines Plett’s goals and pugilistic ability. Not McCarty, not McKay, not Buchberger. I always wanted Plett as a 4th line MLD player (described him as a “goon who could play”), but could never get him. In the AAA, he’s much more than just a “goon who can play”.

Forwards with 300 points and 2500 PIM

1. Pat Verbeek: 1063/2905
2. Dale Hunter: 1020/3565
3. Rick Tocchet: 952/2972
4. Gary Roberts: 910/2560
5. Tiger Williams: 513/3966
6. Willi Plett: 437/2572
7. Bob Probert: 384/3300
8. Matthew Barnaby: 300/2562

Seasons with 40+ points and 200+ PIM

Dale Hunter | 11
Tiger Williams | 6
Terry O’Reilly | 5
Gerard Gallant | 4
Bob Probert | 4
Scott Stevens | 4
Pat Verbeek | 4
Laurie Boschman | 3
Chris Chelios | 3
Dave Manson | 3
Willi Plett | 3
Gary Roberts | 3
Al Secord | 3
Brian Sutter | 3
Keith Tkachuk | 3
Rick Tocchet | 3
8 players | 2
34 players | 1

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Round 10

Port Arthur Bearcats - George Richardson, LW
New Glasgow Cubs - Charlie Burns, C
Galt Professionals - Mike Krushelnyski, LW/C
Brandon Wheat Cities - Curt Fraser, LW

Round 11

Brandon Wheat Cities - Jocelyn Guevremont, D
Galt Professionals - Arnold Kadlec, D
New Glasgow Cubs - Christian Ehrhoff, D
Port Arthur Bearcats - Roy Rickey, D

Round 12

Port Arthur Bearcats - Yuri Fedorov, D
New Glasgow Cubs - Wildor Larochelle, RW
Galt Professionals - Geoff Sanderson, LW
Brandon Wheat Cities - James Neal, W

Round 13

Brandon Wheat Cities - Forbes Kennedy, C
Galt Professionals - Brian Mullen, RW
New Glasgow Cubs - Eric Weinrich, D
Port Arthur Bearcats - Bobby Ryan, RW/LW

Round 14

Port Arthur Bearcats - Martin Erat, RW
New Glasgow Cubs - Dave Tippett, LW
Galt Professionals - Risto Siltanen, D
Brandon Wheat Cities - Larry Regan, RW

Round 15

Brandon Wheat Cities - Jose Theodore, G
Galt Professionals - Kirk Maltby, RW/LW
New Glasgow Cubs - Mike Milbury, D
Port Arthur Bearcats - Pascal Dupuis, LW

Round 16

Port Arthur Bearcats - Derek Morris, D
New Glasgow Cubs - Orland Kurtenbach, C
Galt Professionals - Keith Acton, C
Brandon Wheat Cities - Tiger Williams, LW

Round 17

Brandon Wheat Cities - Jean-Guy Gendron, LW
Galt Professionals - Willi Plett, RW
New Glasgow Cubs - Brad Marchand, LW
Port Arthur Bearcats - Wayne Merrick, C

Round 18

Port Arthur Bearcats
New Glasgow Cubs
Galt Professionals
Brandon Wheat Cities

Round 19

Brandon Wheat Cities
Galt Professionals
New Glasgow Cubs
Port Arthur Bearcats

Round 20

Port Arthur Bearcats
New Glasgow Cubs
Galt Professionals
Brandon Wheat Cities

Brandon Wheat Cities

coach

Toni Tanti - Matti Hagman - Petr Klima
Curt Fraser - Paul Stastny - James Neal
Jean-Guy Gendron - Forbes Kennedy - Larry Regan
Tiger Williams - C - RW
F, F

Jack Campbell - Ken Daneyko
Roland Stoltz - Randy Gregg
Jocelyn Guevremont - D
D

Corey Crawford
Jose Theodore

Galt Professionals

coach

Geoff Sanderson - Tyler Seguin - Ales Hemsky
Mike Krushelnyski - Eddie Olczyk - Brian Mullen
Armand Mondou - Mickey Roach - Kirk Maltby
LW - Keith Acton - Willi Plett
F, F

Barney Holden - Bret Hedican
Brad Stuart - Arnold Kadlec
Risto Siltanen - D
D

Cesaire Maniago
G

New Glasgow Cubs

coach

Steve Konowalchuk - Dale McCourt - Donald Audette
Ryan Malone - Alexei Guryshev - Eduard Novak
Dave Tippett - Charlie Burns - Wildor Larochelle
Brad Marchand - Orland Kurtenbach - RW
F, F

Zarley Zalapski - Sylvain Lefebvre
Christian Ehrhoff - Eric Weinrich
Mike Milbury - D
D

Gary Smith
G

Port Arthur Bearcats

coach

Alexander Skvortsov - Tom Fergus - Joe Carveth
George Richardson - Billy Barlow - Bobby Ryan
Pascal Dupuis - Greg Malone - Martin Erat
LW - Wayne Merrick - RW
F, F

James Stewart - Dennis Wideman
Roy Rickey - Yuri Fedorov
Derek Morris - D
D

Jack Winchester
Arturs Irbe

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
yeah.....I like what I've seen but I don't know too much about his defensive abilities.

Yeah, offensively he has a case as the next most deserving pre expansion guy, but he seems like offense only, but I'm not sure. Only thing I might suggest is checking hockey cards on Google images. That's how I filled in the blanks on Ron Murphy.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Yeah, offensively he has a case as the next most deserving pre expansion guy, but he seems like offense only, but I'm not sure. Only thing I might suggest is checking hockey cards on Google images. That's how I filled in the blanks on Ron Murphy.

I read some blurbs where he was a "utility guy" who was resigned to defensive duties and then did fairly well when given some free rein offensively....so i don't know if this counts as a 2-way player. Either way it's a pretty good 3rd line.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Right now he's a 1st line LWer / 2nd PP unit forward / 1st PK unit with breakaway SH scoring ability....no one has more total SH goals than him in the last 8 years / pest extraordnaire who's on his way to having his best season ever.....it's time. Going off the board and selecting 4th liner:

Brad Marchand
LW / CTR

brad-marchand.jpg

• Shoots: Left • Height: 5-9 • Weight: 183 lbs •
• Born: May 11, 1988 in Halifax, Nova Scotia •
• Draft: Boston, 3rd round (71st overall), 2006 NHL Entry • From: Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) •
• Played: 2009/10 - current (NHL) \\\ 2004/05 - 2007/08 (QMJHL) \\\ 2008/09 - 2009/10 (AHL) •

Brad-Marchand-300x200.jpg

• Championships •
2006 (QMJHL)
2011 Stanley Cup (NHL)

• International Medals •
2007 GOLD U-20 World JR Championships
2008 GOLD U-20 World JR Championships
2005 BRONZE U-17 World JR Champiosnhisp

• Calder Trophy Voting •
2010/11 (12th)

• All-Star Team Voting •
2012 (20)
2013 (11)

• Selke Trophy Voting •
2011 (24)
2012 (35)
2013 (43)

marchand_brad_canada_275x35.jpg

• Goals •
2007 QMJHL PLAYOFFS 16 (1)
2009 AHL PLAYOFFS 7 (T7)
2011 NHL PLAYOFFS 11 (2)

• Short-Handed Goals •
2010-11 NHL 5 (3)
2012-13 NHL 2 (4)
2013-14 NHL 5 (1)
2015-16 NHL 3 (2)

• EV Goals •
2011 NHL PLAYOFFS 10 (1)

• Game-Winning Goals •
2012-13 NHL 5 (6)

• Shooting Percentage •
2012-13 NHL 19.8 (6)
2013-14 NHL 16.8 (8)
Active 15.0 (3)

• Assists •
2007 QMJHL PLAYOFFS 24 (1)

• Points •
2007 QMJHL PLAYOFFS 40 (1)
2009 AHL PLAYOFFS 15 (T10)
2011 NHL PLAYOFFS 19 (T6)

• Plus/Minus •
2011-12 NHL 31 (5)
2012-13 NHL 23 (7)
2013-14 NHL 36 (3)

• PIMs •
2006 QMJHL PLAYOFFS 34 (11)
2007 QMJHL PLAYOFFS 36 (T6)
2009 AHL PLAYOFFS 26 (T14)
2011 NHL PLAYOFFS 40 (T6)

• 2006/07 Assistant Captain for Val-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)
• 2008 Assistsant Captain for Canada U-20 World Jr Champiosnhips team

marchand_brad_250x350_bruins.jpg

• Accolades •

Sports Forecaster said:
Assets: A sparkplug type, he plays way bigger than his 5-9 frame would indicate. Has excellent two-way instincts and agitating qualities. Is effective on the penalty kill. Confident with the puck, he produces in the clutch.
Flaws: Size will always be an issue at the National Hockey League level, especially because of his annoying style of play (he draws plenty of attention from opponents). Isn't a natural goal-scorer, so he has to work hard for his goals.
Career Potential: Quality agitating winger with upside.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Port Arthur starts their do-it-all fourth line with Wayne Merrick, C.

4852-345Fr.jpg

- 4 Stanley Cups with the Islanders
- His 18 playoff points in 1981 were 8th on the team
- 18th in 1981 selke voting
- led the 1976 Seals in scoring 56 games into season before being traded
- Best VsX: 56, 55, 50, 46, 32, 28, 28
- surprisingly, did not kill penalties.

legendsofhockey said:
The foundation of his balanced game rested on swift skating, determined defense, good playmaking skills, a deft shot, and a slightly conservative streak that had him turn up ice toward his own zone at the appearance of any turnovers.

hockey cards said:
has excellent speed... a solid two-way player... excellent speed on offense and defense...

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Port Arthur picks:

Lalli Partinen
defenseman

459406e506cc10fd5a76c047c2c5c557.jpg

• Shoots: left • Height: 6'2" • Weight: 220 lbs. •
• Born: August 20, 1941 • Kannonkoski, Finland •
• Played: 1959/60 - 1976/77 (SM-Sarja / SM-Liiga) •
• Hall of Fame: Finland #52 (1987) •

img472.jpg

Championships
1970 Championship (SM-Sarja / Gold)
1974 Championship (SM-Sarja / Gold)
1973 (SM-Sarja / Silver)
1975 (SM-Sarja / Silver)
1971 (SM-Sarja / Bronze)
1972 (SM-Sarja / Bronze)

All-Star Teams
1965 SM-Sarja
1973 SM-Sarja

NOTES
- Played in 6 World Championships, with four 4th place finishes.
- Captained the 1966 Finnish World Championships team.
- Captained SaiPa 1962- 1964, 1965 - 1969.
- His #3 jersey retired by SaiPa Lappeenranta.
- Career Stats

lallipartinenetu221111LM_jk.jpg

Achievements
• Games •
- Career SM-Sarja • 377
- Career SM-Liiga • 59
- Career SM-Liiga PLAYOFFS • 4
- Career International • 46

• Goals •
1964-65 SM-Sarja 4 (T3 for defensemen)
- Career SM-Sarja • 50
- Career SM-Liiga • 6
- Career SM-Liiga PLAYOFFS • 0
- Career International • 2

• Assists •
1964-65 SM-Sarja 6 (T1 for defensemen)
1966-67 SM-Sarja 11 (T1 for defensemen)
1967-68 SM-Sarja 7 (T1 for defensemen)
1975-76 SM-Liiga 13 (T3 for defensemen)
1976-77 SM-Liiga 9 (T10 for defensemen)
- Career SM-Sarja • 87
- Career SM-Liiga • 22
- Career SM-Liiga PLAYOFFS • 1
- Career International • 4

• Points •
1964-65 SM-Sarja 10 (2 for defensemen)
1966-67 SM-Sarja 15 (1 for defensemen10
1967-68 SM-Sarja 7 (6 for defensemen)
1970-71 SM-Sarja 12 (T9 for defensemen)
1972-73 SM-Sarja 20 (T6 for defensemen)
1974-75 SM-Sarja 15 (T9 for defensemen)
1975-76 SM-Liiga 16 (T10 for defensemen)
- Career SM-Sarja • 137
- Career SM-Liiga • 28
- Career SM-Liiga PLAYOFFS • 1
- Career International • 6

• Points Per Game •
- Career SM-Sarja • 0.36
- Career SM-Liiga • 0.47
- Career SM-Liiga PLAYOFFS • 0.25
- Career International • 0.13

• PIMs •
1965-66 SM-Sarja 52 (1)
1966-67 SM-Sarja 46 (2 / 1 minute from lead)
1967-68 SM-Sarja 48 (1)
1968-69 SM-Sarja 68 (1)
1969-70 SM-Sarja 44 (2 / 2 minutes from lead)
1970-71 SM-Sarja 57 (1)
1973-74 SM-Sarja 77 (2)
1974-75 SM-Sarja 84 (2)
1975-76 SM-Liiga 116 (1)
1975-76 SM-Liiga PLAYOFFS 30 (1)
1976-77 SM-Liiga 94 (2)
- Career SM-Sarja • 648
- Career SM-Liiga • 210
- Career SM-Liiga PLAYOFFS • 32
- Career International • 28

pictd489.jpg

Accolades

Wiki / Google Translation said:
A Finnish former ice hockey defenseman , who represented his career, championship series Saimaa scoops and HIFK also.. Partinen the Finnish Ice Hockey Association President and CEO 1986-1988.

Partinen playing career in the sphere of Lake Saimaa (1959-1969), and HIFK in (1969-1977), captained v.1962-1969. 436 of the match, this heavy-handed defenseman collected a total of 165 points (56 + 109), but as many as 858 penalty minutes He did in fact lead Finland the main series of statistics at the time penalty period 2002-2003, when Toni Mäkiaho passed him. Partinen was in possession of the SM-league single-season penalty record until 1987.

"The red number three", which was used as a nickname Partinen, the rink was a dreaded person. Partinen nickname comes from the game number and HIFK game red outfit. Part was your speeches, as well as the defender of his works, which many feared hockey player then both at home and abroad. And not in vain, as he tore up, among other things, the Ljubljana World Championships in 1966 Czechoslovakian Josef Černýn , which did not manage to sneak in and Partinen off between fast enough. Also, in the last World Championships in Moscow in 1973 , he tackled a player's off to the races. This time Partinen and between the left side of the Polish top striker Krzysztof Białynicki . His knee was bent so badly that he was then seen in the international ice.

Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame / Google Translation said:
Lalli Partinen name evokes the awe to this day. HIFK's "red number three" was a domestic troughs penalty king and the only lion player, which loathed himself punakonekin.

Partinen began his career as a hockey Lappeenranta sphere from which he was transferred to Finland Series Saimaa ball in 1958. He played the first winger, but very soon the game became established place left defender plot. The least was not due to Lalli, the SAIPA rose Championship in 1959 and conquered by the club in the history of the first and still the only medal, bronze in 1966.

Value race of his career, Partinen started handsomely Tampere World Cup in 1965, of which the home crowd's memory was of three Canadian challenge from his victory at the same time. Career amounted to a total of six value tournaments, most recently in Moscow in 1973.

SaiPa Lalli agreed to leave only after the club fell to the SM series in 1969. The new address became a SCUBA whose physical style of play fit Partinen pirtaan perfectly. "Red Three" is celebrated Finnish championships in the very first season in tähtirinnoissa in 1970 and another in 1974. Partinen kiekkoura ended the long-banned fanfare in the spring of 1977 and since then loppulukemaksi were recorded in 858 La Liga level of penalty minutes.

B-iW8U6IEAAGRCh.jpg

HIFK SPORT "Ennobled Hockey Lions" said:
52. Lalli Partinen HIFK played for from 1969 to 1977 displaced, SAIPA to Helsinki. During this time he was winning two championships, silver and bronze medals. Lalli was the famous "red number three," which is the SM-series / SM-league's all-time penalty point and HIFK's penalty two. He played, six world championships and 120 A-caps. From 1986 to 1988 he was Managing Director of Finnish Ice Hockey Association.

keskustelu.jatkoaika.com / Google Translation said:
---Roku:
I do not know any more about him than what I read magazines and books. Lalli was indeed a hard tackler, but he was not a fighter. Never been in a fight he did not during his career rink.

....Lalli is somewhere publication told that whenever the ground happened to her while she was there something the judge feels murky, the first reaction stripe shirt was always the "red number three, at least leaves". And when Lalli this is not accepted, he purnasi judges and received tens on.

.....KooVeen Hannu Soro (Guardian, Team, etc.?) Were standing on the edge of the pan, and threw over intensive Lalli some less flattering comment, after which Lalli drove Soron volleyball bat asleep. This resulted in suspension, which lasted until the end of the regular season and a part of the play offeista, but a single play-off game Lalli yet cleverly hacks him down.

---Senior:
Would make matching more than once. In addition to Lalli was at the time a player boonie, he was also a showman, which certainly attracted the audience. After a great SAIPA career Lalli agreed IFKiin better than many other legendary name. He was the epitome of 70's IFKn. He aroused feelings, always.

Lalli famous tackling also contributed to the focus of his skating style that was low and the man really knew how to tackle the hips.

Lalli represented what this day I miss today's league. Colorful personages who had to take care of theirs and kick represent clean. Sigh.

1288769246713.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
New Glasgow selects Ernie Wakely, the 1959 Memorial Cup champion goaltender who couldn't lock down an Original Six Era NHL job but showed with hockey's expansion in his thirties that he could have had a more significant career in a larger NHL if there had been one in his twenties. His career took off when he proved himself too good for lower levels of hockey. He was an all-star in the CHL and AHL in consecutive seasons just before, as a 30 year old, he backstopped the St. Louis Blues in the 1970 Stanley Cup Finals after being first in the regular season in goals against average. The next season he starred in the NHL all-star game and lost only 14 games in 51 starts in 1970-71, jumping thereafter to the more financially lucrative WHA. Ernie Wakely became the Winnipeg Jets' first announced signing at a press conference on the morning of May 24, 1972, signing a three-year contract. He went on to become the WHA's career leader in shutouts and games played, and 3rd all time in wins. As a 37 year old, in the second to last year of his career, he was a 2nd team all-star in the WHA. He was inducted into the WHA Hall of Fame.

wakely.jpg

... displays excellent anticipation and plays the angle shots as well as anyone.
http://images.checkoutmycards.com/zoom-back/126f34b9-864e-47e6-b39b-c6c2a87b0e2b.jpg

wakely.jpg

Legends said:
At the rather advanced age of 28 Wakely had just one NHL game under his belt, that coming with the Montreal Canadiens. The 1969-70 season provided the breakthrough Wakely needed. He appeared in 30 games for the St. Louis Blues, registering a 2.11 GAA and four shutouts. He once said, "You can't judge a player until you've given him a chance to play in the big league." It was also a pressure-packed situation, having to take over from the legendary Glenn Hall. But Wakely made the most of his opportunity, helping lead the Blues to the Stanley Cup finals, where they were defeated in four straight games by Bobby Orr and the Boston Bruins.

Building upon his first-year success, Wakely backstopped the Blues to 20 victories the following season, starting 51 games in goal for St. Louis. By now, he had earned the reputation as being a solid NHL calibre goaltender, which was noticed not only by those in the NHL, but also scouts for the fledgling World Hockey Association. The Winnipeg Jets, already in prized possession of the Golden Jet Bobby Hull, made an offer that Wakely could not refuse.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Galt selects Bill Dineen, Coach

Dineen coached a little in the NHL, but is best known for having one of the best north american, non-NHL coaching careers of all-time. With 1135 games coached with a .587 winning percentage, 2 coach of the year awards, and five championships in five trips to the finals in the WHL, WHA and AHL.

628x471.jpg

- 681-474-111 record in 1135 pro games coached (.587)
- won 5 league championships (1972-WHL, 1974-WHA, 1975-WHA, 1986-AHL, 1989-AHL)
- Louis Pieri Memorial Award (Top Coach, AHL) - 1985, 1986
- Missed the playoffs only 4 times in 17 full seasons
- Missed the playoffs twice in 2 NHL seasons - despite coaching a .500 team

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Brandon selects defenseman Toni Lydman, who, after winning the trophy as best defenseman in Finland in 2000, jumped to North America and had 10+ straight NHL seasons as a top-2 minutes played blueliner, coming within one game of the Stanley Cup Finals by leading all Buffalo Sabres skaters in minutes played and tying the team lead in plus-minus (+14) in a Game 7 conference finals run in 2006. He has also scored a goal in each of three world championships and an Olympics, and careerwise is a member of the unofficial Quadruple Silver Club having lost the Olympic final (2006), World Championship final (1998, 1999), World Cup final (2004) and Stanley Cup final (2004).

Boston+Bruins+v+Buffalo+Sabres+Game+Five+POsSF7eqJbxl.jpg

The Hockey News said:
Looks after his own zone first and foremost, but also possesses some puck-moving ability. Rarely gets caught out of position and is an outstanding skater.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
About Arto Javanainen - it seemed so out of left field, which is ok if there's some real justification. But when the first thing I could find out about him was what a weak international career he had, it doesn't look good. If you're going to pick a Finnish league forward, the first step in proving it's a good idea is to demonstrate how/why he's the most deserving Finnish forward. Forget comparing him to the other guys we're picking, just compare him to the other Finnish guys you could have had instead.

From what I can tell, he was a league scoring leader once, and a league goal leader four more times; in total his top-10 points finishes are 1 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 7, 7, 10. It's possible he's the most dominant Finnish league scorer of all-time, However, it's really difficult to place just how you'd compare that to whoever the best CSSR or USSR league scorer - those leagues were full of international stars and players who later starred in the NHL, and Javanainen's Finnish league was anything but. Of course there's a chance he's that flower in the pot of dirt, but given the chance to transcend that weak competition and prove some all-time worth, Javanainen did not stand out, with 12 points in 25 games. The latter number is more telling than the former. Why was this guy who was tearing up the top-5 in domestic scoring annually not getting onto the national team? Every season that he was a high scorer I clicked on other names who also scored high, and their domestic careers were so fruitful in comparison - many with double the career length and many also with nearly double his scoring rate. It's quite strange, really. He's so far behind Matti Hagman, who was also picked in this draft - Hagman's Finnish, North American and International careers all dwarf Javanainen's. It would be nice food for thought if the latter did something of note in north america, but 5 points in 14 games doesn't inspire confidence. Nor does 64 points in 74 AHL games - that's the numbers of a guy who's "probably worth a call-up", not an offensive star. Heck, Matti Hagman just about scored at that rate in the NHL.

Which brings me to Lalli Partinen. Can the next defenseman we select be some dude from the Finnish league? Absolutely, I'm open to it. But can it please be the best available finnish league defenseman and not some random? Partinen was never a league all-star from what I can tell, in the fourth best domestic league in Europe (probably the 7th best league in the world in his career). And it shouldn't surprise anyone that with 6 points in 46 international matches he didn't earn any recognition there, either. I clicked on the teams he played on for Finland in the worlds and looked at a few other defensemen he played with - it seemed about half of them had longer international careers and were relied on by the country more often overall than he was. Not only that, but I'm seeing guys who were Finnish league all-stars multiple times. As meaningless as that may be in the 7th best league in the world, it's sure better than not being an all-star! So what I'm saying is, I'd like to know what the thought process was here. Why Partinen over a dozen other contemporary Finnish defensemen? Without more info it just seems.... random, like the Potsch pick.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Brandon selects the poor man's Kelly Kisio, a leader who can score in the right situations, play pretty good defense, and play an in-your-face brand of somewhat agitating hockey. Where he takes a backseat to no one is his faceoff prowess. If faceoffs were tracked during his career, he'd probably be top-5 in career win%. Peter Zezel, C.

Peter Zezel, C

48440-174Fr.jpg

- 5'11, 220 lbs
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1985, 1987)
- Advanced to 2nd round 7 times and 3rd round 4 times
- 6 54+ point seasons (and 2 more 62/63-point seasons cut short by injury)
- Career Adjusted +32
- 53.5% on faceoffs in his last NHL season, the first that they began tracking
- Best Vsx: 69, 64, 57, 48, 47, 46, 44
- Killed 21% of penalties for teams 6% better than average
- 608 points in 873 games, 64 points in 131 playoff games

loh.net said:
In his first NHL season, he established a Flyers rookie record of 46 assists while helping the team to a berth in the Stanley Cup finals. He was quickly regarded as one of the league's premier faceoff men and used his tenacious style to earn himself duty on the penalty-killing unit.

Zezel played a vital role in the resurgence of the Maple Leafs in the early 1990's as a checking centre and faceoff specialist, but he also added his share of timely goals using the soft hands and hard shot developed in his junior days.

He was awarded to Dallas as part of a compensation package in 1994 when the Leafs signed Dallas forward Mike Craig. The following year, Zezel signed as a free agent with St. Louis. After a short stint with the Blues, he was traded to New Jersey before being traded to Vancouver by the Devils on February 5, 1998.

Zezel left hockey in 1999 to focus on family issues. His two-year-old niece had succumbed to leukemia and he lost his passion for hockey. In the summer of 2001, he was diagnosed with hemolytic anemia, a rare disorder in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than the body can replace them.

...On May 26, 2009, at age 44, Peter Zezel lost his battle to his rare blood disorder.

Joe Pelletier said:
Peter Zezel carved out a nice career as solid two way second or third line center.

Though somewhat on the small side, Zezel was extremely strong, especially his lower body. He was great along the boards as he was so hard to knock down. He was also an agile skater with great balance, and his background as a soccer player (he played with the Toronto Blizzard of the NASL and the North York Rockets of the CSL) gave him an extra advantage over most hockey players - great puck skills with his feet. In the corners and in faceoff scrums, Zezel would go in and use his strength and balance to tie up his opponent, and then kick the puck to an open teammate.

Though known best as a defensive oriented checking center, Zezel had some good offensive talents. He had a strong and accurate wrist shot and slap shot, but preferred to set up an open teammate than shoot the puck himself. He was very confident with the puck. His offensive totals were hindered by his commitment as the team's checking center, but twice Peter scored 72 points. In 1986-87 with Philadelphia when he finished behind Tim Kerr for the team goal and point scoring lead. In 1988-89 and in 1989-90 Peter enjoyed his longest run as an offensive player, often centering Brett Hull in St. Louis.

An excellent faceoff man, Zezel was a crunch time player. Some questioned his inconsistent intensity, but he became a favorite of Mike Keenan, the most demanding coach of the day. Keenan inherited a young Zezel in Philadelphia and later recruited his services in St. Louis and Vancouver.

...Through he played in a career-high 79 games in 1985-86, he took a step backwards like many NHL sophomores do. He recorded a career-best plus-27 rating but scored "only" 17 goals and 54 points. Because of the Flyers' great depth he had to accept a role on the third line and played well as a checking center, helping to mould his career.

In 1986-87, Peter stepped up his game by establishing career-highs with 33 goals and 72 points. He had a strong playoff as a checking forward, scoring 3 goals and 13 points in a 25 game run that saw the Flyers push the mighty Edmonton Oilers to 7 games in one of the greatest Stanley Cup finals ever.

A great special teams player, Zezel added a career-high 14 power play goals in 1987-88. However he only add 8 even strength goals for a decline of 11 goals from the previous year. His point total also dropped, by a total of 15 points.

...Fully recovered from his fractured ankle, Zezel finished the 1990-91 season strongly. Between the two teams in 1990-91, Peter reached the 20-goal mark for the fifth consecutive season. However Zezel's production declined for much of his stay in Toronto. From 1991-94, he registered 36 goals and 64 assists in 175 games for the Leafs. A variety of small but nagging injuries (most notably a back problem that forced him to sit half of the 1993-94 season) didn't help him much...

Joe Pelletier said:
First and foremost I will always remember Peter Zezel for his faceoff expertise and sound defensive game, his reliable play every night and his tough though clean approach to the game. No wonder why he was one of Mike Keenan's favourite players.

I will also remember Peter Zezel as the heartthrob in Philadelphia. Girls swooned after him. His cool hair even landed him a small role in the Hollywood hockey movie Youngblood. He certainly would not look out of place beside Rob Lowe or Patrick Swayze.

Most will remember Zezel as a Flyer or a Maple Leaf, where he spent the bulk of the best years of his career. Because he was such a valuable player even when he was no longer able to contribute offensively, he bounced around the league a lot in later years, with two stops in St. Louis as well as in Washington, Dallas, New Jersey and Vancouver.

But I also remember Zezel as a great person. I had the chance to watch Zezel closely in his final season and a half with the Vancouver. I remember seeing glimpses of the Zezel I watched in Philly and Toronto, but clearly something was weighing on his mind. That was confirmed late in the season when he left on a personal leave. It turned out he desperately wanted to be with his family after his two year old niece had died of leukemia.

Zezel never came back, opting to be with his family. He played senior hockey in Ontario and coached youth hockey and started up a hockey school in Toronto. Rumor had it he would return to the NHL only if he could play for the Leafs. But he did not want to be away from his family any longer.

thestar.com said:
Zezel embraced the role of checking centre, relentless penalty killer and face off specialist in Toronto.

The Greatest Moments and Players Of The Philadelphia Flyers said:
considering that he played only 4 1/2 seasons in Philadelphia, Peter Zezel enjoyed one of the most upbeat relationships with local fans of anyone who skated at the spectrum. Part of his appeal was his enduring work ethic and the other part was his delightful personality. Anyone who watched the center play or whomever conversed with him came away convinced that this was a very good man and a darn good stick handler to boot.

Clarke: "when Peter first took the ice is a flyer, some of us remarked that he reminded us of Brian Trottier with his build. As for the other parts of his game, we could tell right away that he was very bright and saw the whole ice."

Zezel had come to hockey by way of soccer. He was an expert booter and played professionally for Toronto of the North American soccer league… In time, he managed to incorporate kick work into his on ice repertoire. It would become a permanent part of Peter's game and particularly advantageous during face-offs.

Coach Mike Keenan found Zezel's teamsmanship a primary asset. During a game with Los Angeles, the flyers were protecting a one goal lead when the Kings pulled their goaltender for an extra attacker. Defenseman Mark Howe flipped the puck from his own goal line out of the flyers zone and towards the open net. Zezel was close enough to the puck to add an extra tap in and get the credit for the red light himself. Instead, he resisted the temptation and Howe wound up with the goal. "The play was typical of Peter's unselfishness. It was a comment on the type of person he is and always has been."

Zezel played 79 games in his second year and was no less effective. His plus minus climbed to +27 and his overall ice presence impressed coach Mike Keenan who favored Peter's grit. "He was very talented," said Keenan.

… At one point he had become such a fan favorite in Philly that he had to be accompanied by a bodyguard when he went grocery shopping. He frequently paid people to buy clothes for him while he stayed in the safety of his home. At 5'11'', 200 pounds, Zezel emerged as one of the league's top face-off specialists. "I try to use my feet a lot," he said, "and I cheated a bit."

"I was not a number one center," he admitted. "I liked the role of being a good face-off man and a little bit of everything. I wasn't going to be a 40 goal man."… He was likeable wherever he played but never more so than when he wore the orange and black at the spectrum.

Maple Leaf Legends said:
midway through the 1990 – 91 season he was acquired by the leafs with Bob Rouse.… Leaf fans certainly like Zezel's approach to the game. Not tall but extremely sturdy at 220 pounds, he was difficult to knock down. He used his stocky body to push opponents off the puck and could make dangerous passes once he got a hold of it. He was more a playmaker than a goalscorer and was never afraid to battle for a loose puck.… His creativity kept him in the NHL for his first few years, but as he got older, Zezel changed his game to become more of a checker and top face-off man. When Pat Burns became leafs coach in 1992, he found an excellent role for Zezel by putting him in the middle of his checking line. The line clicked and was soon getting plenty of ice time, often against the best opposing line.… In the 1993 playoffs his work in the face-off circle was nothing short of spectacular and his ability to check in opposing center was a work of art. His soccer background made him one of the few players in the league who could control the puck with his feet..

Players – The Ultimate A-Z Guide of Everyone Who Has Ever Played in the NHL said:
the sturdy center had his best year in 86-87, not coincidentally when the flyers went finals. He was a terrific second or third line center, good at both ends of the ice, and tenacious on the puck and away from the play. He was considered a character player…

The Hockey News 1990 Yearbook said:
fantastic on face-offs – here are 15 guys you'd want to have on the ice in the last minute of play to take a crucial face-off: ...... 15. Peter Zezel.

Return to Glory: The Leafs From Imlach to Fletcher said:
Fletcher had to submit a "protected list", exposing all but 15 eligible players in the Leaf system who were under contract: Potvin, Gill, Ellett, Lefebvre, Macoun, Rouse, Manderville, Pearson, Zezel, Anderson, Andreychuk, Baumgartner, Clark, Eastwood, Gilmour. (22 players were unprotected including solid NHLers Puppa, Mironov, Cullen, Foligno, Krushelnyski, Osborne. This demonstrates Zezel's importance to a franchise even as his offense was declining.)

… Then came the winner, near the end of the period, On the harmless looking play. As the puck rolled in behind the Canuck goal, McLean came out and beat Berg to the puck. He cleared it off the boards, but Zezel knock the puck down in midair at the face-off circle and one timed it before McLean could get back. The leafs won it 3 to 2.

Zezel had proven his ability to raise his game another level for the playoffs. He would be missed more than one might have thought.

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1986 said:
Zezel has 100 point potential

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1987 said:
solid first two seasons for flyers at their center behind Dave Poulin and Ron Sutter... Needs to be pushed at times; Mike Keenan pushed and Zezel usually responded... scored a hat trick to keep flyers alive in game four of Ranger series, although they lost in game five...

Hockey Scouting Report 1986-87 said:
Zezel is a fine skater, fast on his feet and very agile. He can stop and start instantly and the same holds true for his ability to change direction. He is also one of the best in the league at playing the puck with his skates, a skill no doubt transferred from his experience playing soccer. Zezel can kick the puck up to his stick or take it off the boards with his skates with exceptional quickness. Zezel keeps his head up as the play moves around him and that just adds to his good hockey sense and anticipation. He is very aware of where he is on the ice and is especially good at using his teammates. In fact, Zezel probably looks to his teammates a little too much; he should develop a little selfish streak can take greater advantage of the opportunities he gets. He has a good shot, quick to the net though not all that hard, and he can score from a distance. He is good at getting the defenseman to set himself as a screen, and that helps Zezel on his longshots.

Zezel is a very physical player, always hitting at both ends of the ice and he hits hard, carrying a lot of bulk on his relatively small frame. Zezel works very well to the side of the opposition net, planting his skates and sticking his butt into the defenseman covering him, thus not allowing the opposing player to get at the puck, or even to hold Zezel's arms. He has excellent balance and is very strong on his skates… Zezel is a very hard worker and has matured well during his first two years in the league. He should only get better as his experience grows. He wants to be the best and works at it, Peter gets into funks where his attitude and his drive suffer.

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1988 said:
he last alphabetically but first in the hearts of Philly's female fans… Took giant strides toward stardom last season… Strong skater and deft passer, he reminds some people of a young Brian Trottier the way he finishes his checks. "When I bump, I play better," he claims…

Hockey Scouting Report 1987-88 said:
Zezel is an excellent skater. He's fast on his feet, agile and strong. He can stop, start and turn on a dime.… His foot skills allow him another dimension of control when he takes the puck off the boards, and also makes him dangerous when the puck seems to have gotten away from him. Zezel is improving as a playmaker by becoming more patient… His anticipation and hockey sense help him there, just as they do with his checking; he can be a fine defensive center.… He is also become one of the league's premier divers, and will fall to the ice shamelessly in search of an opposition penalty… He is also a cheap shot artist and will do whatever he can to get under an opponents skin and then skate away. He carries a lot of muscle and bulk on his frame, and Zezel hits hard. His size, strength, and above all, balance allow him to plant himself to the side of the opponents net… He is a hard worker, though just the slightest touch inconsistent, and he continues to mature into a fine NHL player… Tremendously popular in Philadelphia… His strong play helps make the flyers one of the league's deepest and strongest teams down the middle.

Hockey Scouting Report 1988-89 said:
the power of Zezel's game is rooted in his feet.… His increased confidence comes from seeing patience pay off, and knowing that looking the ice over and not just making the first play he sees, makes for scoring opportunities. Zezel has a good selection of shots. His wrist shot as quickly released and generally accurate, forcing the goaltender to make a save. His finesse talents alone are enough to force the opposition into taking penalties, but Zezel augments that penalty drawing ability with some of the league's best dives.… Though gifted in the finesse areas, Zezel is also a good physical player he is not above putting his stick into the opposition. He does not back up that stick work by fighting.… It's not that Zezel isn't a hard worker, because he is. Or that he's unwilling to correct physical aspect of his game. Even Zezel himself admitted he didn't feel right and sought the services of a sports psychologist last season.

Hockey Scouting Report 1990-91 said:
Zezel is a skilled finesse player, and primary among his physical finesse skills is his footwork and skating… Zezel uses his feet better than any player in the NHL, especially on face-offs, where he will tie up the opposition stick before kicking the puck to one of his own wingers. But he's an excellent skater on top of the fancy footwork, possessing speed, quickness, agility, and strength. He's got excellent one step moves, is hard to knock off the puck and has a very tight turning radius, and he complements his skating with a strong degree of hockey sense and play reading ability. Zezel shows poise with the puck and books to use his teammates, and he can be fairly creative in his passing. His hand skills are strong. He carries or passes the puck equally well… He can also be a strong defensive player because of his skills. Those skills make him a PowerPlay regular. Balance is the key to Zezel's physical game, for it allows him to plant himself and make plays despite checking in body position. Strength of course is the key here, and Zezel can get off shots while being checked, and he uses those assets in his own hitting… As long as he keeps his intensity level high, his play ranks accordingly. It's not that Peter isn't a hard worker or that he doesn't care, because he is and he does – he just needs to maintain his focus from night to night and shift to shift.…

Hockey Scouting Report 1991-92 said:
Zezel combines toughness with excellent foot and hand skills… Zezel can juke with or without the puck. He is poised under pressure and a good passer. He draws the attention of one or two defenders and find the open man. Zezel can score from all areas of the ice. He skating and lower body strength powers his slapshot. He has very strong wrist and is accurate with his shot. Zezel excels on both special teams, but his finesse skills really make him an asset on the power play. He gets into a tripod stands and is very difficult to budge from the front of the net. He is a very good for checker because of his balance and strength. He will aggravate opponents by using his stick and then going and drawing a penalty within artistically enhanced fall… Zezel is a crunch time player whose only question mark is his inconsistent intensity. He is shown a good attitude since the move to Toronto.

Hockey Scouting Report 1992-93 said:
Zezel profited tremendously from the addition of Doug Gilmour to the leafs lineup last season. Gilmour is a much better passer and touch player than Zezel is, and attempting to provide those assets was strained for someone who was more of a number two or three and then a number one. He is the key face-off guy. He's strong on his skates without being speedy or flashy about it. He gets where he wants to go, for checks well, pursues the puck. He has good power and balance, he drives into the draws, then drives into the center against whom he faced off.… A solidly built player who does not get pushed around… Defenseman find it difficult to knock him down… Intensity and focus are problems for Zezel. Inconsistency is a problem for Zezel. Hockey sense is a problem for Zezel. Effort is NOT a problem for Zezel.

Hockey Almanac 1993-94 said:
Zezel has been traded for some big names… Moves with great ease of motion, whether covering his check or breaking away from one. His low center of gravity and husky physique make it nearly impossible to dislodge from his feet. A superior face-off man, Zezel can control the puck, skate with it, or find his teammates with excellent passes. Last year he notched his 500th NHL point, still he is known for his defense… Considered something of a cheap shot artist in some corners, Zezel runs the constant risk of running into someone who owes him one… Zezel seems to have settled into his role as the team's premier defensive forward… An excellent character player, Zezel is an important part of the Toronto scheme.

WILL – win with defense
CAN'T - afford more injuries
EXPECT – excellent checking
DONT EXPECT - Mr. nice guy

Hockey Scouting Report 1993-94 said:
Zezel is a checking forward who can pick up his offensive chances. While his major duty these days is to shut down the other team's top scoring lines, he can also provide some offense of dazzle of his own by polishing off a 2-on-1 or scoring with his powerful shot off a breakaway. The bonus to playing against other team scoring lines is that they are prone to week defensive game, and Zezel has the hand skills, quickness and anticipation to cash in on his offensive chances. He has a knack for big, timely goals. Zezel is dominant on face-offs. The skill makes him an excellent penalty killer, since winning and draw can quickly eat seconds off the clock. Zezel is a choppy skater, but he is tenacious and gets where he has to go.

Zezel is not merely intense: he's wired. If anything, he gets too intense and will sometimes overdo things and take bad penalties. He is compact, solid player who does not get pushed around. Zezel has become a bit injury prone in recent years, which makes them reluctant to initiate physical play as often as the coaches wish he would.

Zezel has evolved into an excellent checking forward. He has always worked hard, but now he is working much smarter than he did in the past. He is a strong force and a major part of Toronto's resurgent season.

Hockey Scouting Report 1994 – 95 said:
injuries forced Zezel to the sidelines for more than half the season, and it was a type of injury that prevented him from doing much off ice work, so he was never at his peak all year. The wear and tear are starting to show on Zezel, but he has a bulky frame with thick, soccer player legs, and he appeared to be recovering well from his back problems late in the season. He has to play a physical game to be effective.

Hockey Almanac 1995 – 96 said:
Zezel has evolved into a grinding two-way player. He is a Husky skater who hits hard and played outstanding defense.… A very reliable player who knows the game… Has always performed well under pressure… Remains one of the most respected defensive forwards in the game

WILL - play hard-nosed hockey
DON'T EXPECT - a timid skater

Hockey Almanac 1996 – 97 said:
Zezel skates well, hits hard, and plays a stifling defensive game. Once upon a time, he showed signs of becoming a legitimate scoring threat. His scoring talents took a backseat to two-way, grinding style, however. Much of his career has been spent as a checking center.… Though he's moved around the league quite a bit, he's usually the player another team badly wants, rather than the one his current employers want to get rid of.

WILL - check ferociously
EXPECT - top face-off man

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Which brings me to Lalli Partinen. Can the next defenseman we select be some dude from the Finnish league? Absolutely, I'm open to it. But can it please be the best available finnish league defenseman and not some random? Partinen was never a league all-star from what I can tell, in the fourth best domestic league in Europe (probably the 7th best league in the world in his career). And it shouldn't surprise anyone that with 6 points in 46 international matches he didn't earn any recognition there, either. I clicked on the teams he played on for Finland in the worlds and looked at a few other defensemen he played with - it seemed about half of them had longer international careers and were relied on by the country more often overall than he was. Not only that, but I'm seeing guys who were Finnish league all-stars multiple times. As meaningless as that may be in the 7th best league in the world, it's sure better than not being an all-star! So what I'm saying is, I'd like to know what the thought process was here. Why Partinen over a dozen other contemporary Finnish defensemen? Without more info it just seems.... random, like the Potsch pick.
:huh: I wondered about the pick. Perhaps info to support it is forthcoming. Everyone is encouraged to make the case for their picks, not just drop names. This ain't the ATD where drafting Orr or Fetisov needn't have an argument for it.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Galt completes its fourth line in selecting Randy Cunneyworth, the role-playing left winger who captained the Senators for four seasons based on his all-time great energy and commitment level to every game. He had three consecutive 25+ goal seasons playing with Lemieux in Pittsburgh but otherwise was a quality Bottom-6 who carved out a respected career over two decades. His style of play lended itself to injury and yet he played the lion's share of nine seasons over a fifteen-plus year career.

0910thrashers7.jpg

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
... the hustling winger was able to enjoy an 866 NHL game career... trademark hustle and enthusiasm... He combined his strong physical game and good wheels ... carved out a nice niche as a energetic role player who prided himself in his defensive and physical play.

Randy would be an instrumental figure with the Ottawa Senators from 1994 through 1998, serving as team captain and an inspiring leader who helped get that franchise out of the expansion doldrums.

Randy was injected into 3 Stanley Cup finals games against the Dallas Stars. Briefly Randy was the talk of the hockey world. He had made a career out of simply outworking everyone on the ice, and that hard work now paid off with his only shot at a Stanley Cup. His spirited play sparked the Sabres to a 7th game before bowing out of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Cunneyworth retired with 189 goals and 414 points in his 866 NHL games. He also picked up 1280 minutes in penalties.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Mullen and Hemsky on Galt need to be swapped, just to better balance out the skillsets on those lines. Also Neal and Klima on Brandon. After that, we've pretty much made sure every line has at least some sort of presence of non-offense ability.

Some of these guys aren't great, and they're a bit of a reach in the intangibles (Mullen, Barlow, Fergus) or offense (Fraser, Konowalchuk, Malone) departments, but this far in the draft, they kinda have to be. Good work to everyone not just stuffing the lines with the best one dimensional scorers they could find.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Would Tom Hooper, D/RW make a good option there? Hooper made the HHOF and it's clear it wasn't for his offensive ability. We don't know much about him and the consensus appears to be he's one of the weakest early HHOFers, but he played in some important Stanley Cup matches, and was actually 2nd in scoring on Rat Portage (well behind Tommy Phillips) both times they played for the cup.

P196209S.jpg

I've always had him as a RW who can play some D, but his SIHR profile is saying rover. If he's a RW I'd say he looks pretty good here. If not we can hold off on him until drafting spares. Does anyone else have some info? edit: Checked all his playoff game summaries from The Trail Of the Stanley Cup. He was CP in a few games, rover in a couple and RW in a couple. It would be easier if we knew what he played during the regular season matches that comprised the majority of his career. EDIT: Confirmed through Iain Fyffe, he can best be described as "D/RW" - this explains why a guy with stats that aren't the least bit good is in the HHOF - it's because he was a defenseman and his stats were actually very good.

The exact breakdown:

Iain Fyffe said:
1903: Hooper played mostly CP and some rover, Si Griffis mostly rover and some CP. 4-2 split.
1904: Hooper 7 at CP, 2 at RW.
1905: Hooper 8 at RW.
1906: Hooper 9 at CP.
1907: Hooper 4 at CP, 1 at point.
1908: Hooper 1 at rover, then 2 at CP with Wanderers.

- Stanley Cup (1907, 1908)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1903, 1905)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad