Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Marner

I think it's certainly possible that Toronto takes Marner but the thinking is that he is very similar to last year's 1st rounder William Nylander who is progressing well.

Toronto has long been looking for a big center and Strome really seems to fit that calling and seems the likely pick a #4 assuming Hanifin goes #3. scenario plays well for NJ as that leaves Marner for Carolina. Carolina has a lot of smaller, not physical, forwards in the prospect pool and could really use two things - size and defense. In this case, they could look to a Crouse, Rantannen, Provorov, or perhaps even a Zacha, which of course leaves Marner for NJ.

If Arizona takes Strome, then Toronto must chose between Marner and Hanifin and I think this could be more of a toss up but I still think they go Hanifin as BPA as he could be a great compliment to Morgan Reilly. Again, this leaves Marner to Carolina and or NJ.

Marner's size is of course a potential concern and we've seen smallish players drop a little over guys with some size so I think it's about a 50/50 shot that Marner drops to us.

Worst case for NJ will be if Arizona OR Toronto take Marner, then Carolina will take who's left between Strome or Hanifin. Hanifin would be their dream pick and Stroe would be a big bodied center although he's not overly physical. Suppose it's possible they pass on Stome for one of the others mentioned above but I'd put it at only a 20% chance even less of happening....

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I think it's certainly possible that Toronto takes Marner but the thinking is that he is very similar to last year's 1st rounder William Nylander who is progressing well.

Toronto has long been looking for a big center and Strome really seems to fit that calling and seems the likely pick a #4 assuming Hanifin goes #3. scenario plays well for NJ as that leaves Marner for Carolina. Carolina has a lot of smaller, not physical, forwards in the prospect pool and could really use two things - size and defense. In this case, they could look to a Crouse, Rantannen, Provorov, or perhaps even a Zacha, which of course leaves Marner for NJ.

If Arizona takes Strome, then Toronto must chose between Marner and Hanifin and I think this could be more of a toss up but I still think they go Hanifin as BPA as he could be a great compliment to Morgan Reilly. Again, this leaves Marner to Carolina and or NJ.

Marner's size is of course a potential concern and we've seen smallish players drop a little over guys with some size so I think it's about a 50/50 shot that Marner drops to us.

Worst case for NJ will be if Arizona OR Toronto take Marner, then Carolina will take who's left between Strome or Hanifin. Hanifin would be their dream pick and Stroe would be a big bodied center although he's not overly physical. Suppose it's possible they pass on Stome for one of the others mentioned above but I'd put it at only a 20% chance even less of happening....

It seems that there are many opinions on Strome, many believe he will be a beast and some who believe he will bust. I don't know enough about Strome to give my personal opinion.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If Philly gets Provorov, they will have him, Sanheim, Morin and Hagg in their pipeline on the blueline.

Darn good group

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Crouse is also starting to intrigue me. I read only positive things about the kid from his hockey skills, Hockey IQ and as a person. 6 goals in 5 games in the Hlinka Memorial.

I won't be devastated if the Devils pick him.

Last edited:

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Crouse is also starting to intrigue me. I read only positive things about the kid form his hockey skills, Hockey IQ and as a person. 6 goals in 5 games in the Hlinka Memorial.

I wouldn't mind at all

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Is Marner much better than Barzal?

Also having done a bit of research on Rantanen and he seems like he'll be a real solid player. Would not be disappointed at all if we took him.

Last edited:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Is Marner much better than Barzal?

Also having done a bit of research on Rantanen and he seems like he'll be a real solid player. Would not be disappointed at all if we took him.

Marner is definitely better than Barzal. I think Marner is more on the level of McKinnon or RNH.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Marner is definitely better than Barzal. I think Marner is more on the level of McKinnon or RNH.

Yeah I agree - for some reason I think Marner could be like Johnson from Tampa. I still think Barzal will be good and would not be upset if the Devils get him but if Marner is available he is a no brainer pick at 6 in my humble opinion.

GhostofKenKlee

If Philly gets Provorov, they will have him, Sanheim, Morin and Hagg in their pipeline on the blueline.

Darn good group

I can't see either defender falling into their laps.

Buff-Eichel
Arizona-Strome
Toronto-Hanifin
Carolina-Provorov/Marmer
Devils-Provorov/Mamer
Flyers-Don't care..

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
We know the first 2 picks barring something monumentally and legendary in its stupidity are going to be McDavid and Eichel. After that it seems it's becoming more intriguing in the case for 3-8. Hanifin, Strome, Marner, Barzal, Zacha, Crouse, Provorov are all names being thrown about in that range. There are others but these are the main names that seem to form a consensus. IMO if we get any of them we will be better for it and the reality is, we're looking at a minimum of 4 of them being available. What would be interesting is if Hanifin falls to us. I don't expect it but have a look at Seth Jones a few years back and it's not at all impossible that he falls a few spots. Take him? Trade him? Would be a very interesting spot to be in.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Crouse is also starting to intrigue me. I read only positive things about the kid form his hockey skills, Hockey IQ and as a person. 6 goals in 5 games in the Hlinka Memorial.

I've said it before, but I kind of moved away from my idea that Crouse was overhyped.

Regardless though, I just don't think he's what we need. He's better off going to a team with better centers he can thrive off of. Devils don't have anything close to that kind of center yet.

It's kind of like how Nash was wasted in Columbus with Vyborny and Prospal and guys of that caliber as his center.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
We know the first 2 picks barring something monumentally and legendary in its stupidity are going to be McDavid and Eichel. After that it seems it's becoming more intriguing in the case for 3-8. Hanifin, Strome, Marner, Barzal, Zacha, Crouse, Provorov are all names being thrown about in that range. There are others but these are the main names that seem to form a consensus. IMO if we get any of them we will be better for it and the reality is, we're looking at a minimum of 4 of them being available. What would be interesting is if Hanifin falls to us. I don't expect it but have a look at Seth Jones a few years back and it's not at all impossible that he falls a few spots. Take him? Trade him? Would be a very interesting spot to be in.

If Hanifin somehow fell to us I would look to trade that pick ASAP. Try to pry a forward+ away from the Oilers maybe.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I've said it before, but I kind of moved away from my idea that Crouse was overhyped.

Regardless though, I just don't think he's what we need. He's better off going to a team with better centers he can thrive off of. Devils don't have anything close to that kind of center yet.

It's kind of like how Nash was wasted in Columbus with Vyborny and Prospal and guys of that caliber as his center.

I don't know how much of it is Crouse is "overhyped" as much as it is there are simply so many other good players in the draft that arguably should be ahead of him. I think Crouse is a real good prospect, but when people have him over Marner it's certainly a bit suspect. Hell, even over guys like Barzal or Rantanen and I'm not so certain.

That said, in most other drafts he could scrape the top 5 because he is really good player. It just so happens there are many other really good players this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know how much of it is Crouse is "overhyped" as much as it is there are simply so many other good players in the draft that arguably should be ahead of him. I think Crouse is a real good prospect, but when people have him over Marner it's certainly a bit suspect. Hell, even over guys like Barzal or Rantanen and I'm not so certain.

That said, in most other drafts he could scrape the top 5 because he is really good player. It just so happens there are many other really good players this year.

I just feel like the other players around where we would pick create offense and are difference makers.

I don't see that with a player like Crouse just based off style of play. I would absolutely love to have a player like him on my team, but the way the prospect pool and NHL team is structured right now, it just makes no sense.

DiscoBall

Jul 11, 2013
Stratton (802)
If Hanafin falls or another team is high on Prov/Werenski I would be happy to trade down.

Something like #6 for #8 + Milano or Bjorkstrand

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Screw that! - just give them 6th overall for Ryan Johanssen and they can keep #8!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad