Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Why are some pro-Zacha but anti-Crouse?

Crouse doesn't have the skill set Zacha does. Crouse also plays a power game far more than Zacha, and it's that power forward style that has such a bad track record of not translating into the NHL. Zacha is very big and very strong, but he relies far more on skill.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm of the opinion that you do not pick a power forward in the top 5-6, especially in a draft like this, unless that guy is far and away better than the competition

from what I've seen, Crouse isn't that.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
To me, Zacha is the true boom-or-bust player of this draft for us. If he can put together the consistency he needs, he'll be a fantastic center. He's shown flashes of brilliance already in the OHL, some nights completely taking over the ice...some nights where he was almost invisible. I would love to draft Zacha, but he definitely needs at least one more year in the OHL for his development. He could be a real gem.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I'm of the opinion that you do not pick a power forward in the top 5-6, especially in a draft like this, unless that guy is far and away better than the competition

from what I've seen, Crouse isn't that.

Crouse is pretty much far and away better than his competition (excluding obvious guys like McDavid and Eichel). He physically dominated NHL prospects (some of who were 2 years older than him) in the wjc. I'm not saying he's the best option at our pick, but he's pretty much done everything you could ask of a power forward at his age. I think he'll probably be a 30 goal scorer with elite puck possession and defensive play at his prime. He's already an A+ player defensively and an incredible penalty killer.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I can also see Lou picking Jeremy Bracco if he falls to us in the second round. Even though he's small (5'9" 175 lbs), he put up some amazing numbers for the US National U18 team for the USNDP -- 81 points (27G 54A) in 58 games. Compare that to Eichel with 87 points (38G 49A) in 53 games. I know, it's just stat watching, but Bracco is also committed to Boston College for next year, which will factor into the pick, and he's electrifying with the puck from what I've seen of him.

Also played for New Jersey Rockets (U16 team in the EHL based in Bridgewater) before joining the USHL. If he's available I think we should definitely pick him.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Crouse doesn't have the skill set Zacha does. Crouse also plays a power game far more than Zacha, and it's that power forward style that has such a bad track record of not translating into the NHL. Zacha is very big and very strong, but he relies far more on skill.

Zacha is more skilled, but Crouse is less risk. with Zacha you dont know if hes gonna make the transition to the NA game yet

Zacha plays C

Makes sense, thanks guys. I need to read up more on our top options, but I'll probably be happy with any of those guys.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I can also see Lou picking Jeremy Bracco if he falls to us in the second round. Even though he's small (5'9" 175 lbs), he put up some amazing numbers for the US National U18 team for the USNDP -- 81 points (27G 54A) in 58 games. Compare that to Eichel with 87 points (38G 49A) in 53 games. I know, it's just stat watching, but Bracco is also committed to Boston College for next year, which will factor into the pick, and he's electrifying with the puck from what I've seen of him.

Also played for New Jersey Rockets (U16 team in the EHL based in Bridgewater) before joining the USHL. If he's available I think we should definitely pick him.

Is he originally from Jersey? Either way, those numbers are pretty impressive

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think the only way that happens is if Columbus, San Jose, or Colorado really wants Provorov and they think somebody ahead of them is going to take him. Or if Hanifin or Marner drop out of the top 5, in which case I would hope the Devils would run to the podium and make the pick immediately.

Which i can see. I can see the Flyers taking Provorov and Columbus wanting him and wanting to hop over the Flyers. Maybe even San Jose looks at it as well.

Or perhaps San Jose wants Crouse badly. I think the odds are pretty good that say San Jose trades us for 6 and takes Crouse i can see the next 2 players being the DMan leaving us with an extra pick and one of Barzal Zacha or Rantenan.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

Bracco is one of the guys ive been looking at for the 2nd round. along with Korostelev. and honestly Bracco seems exactly like the kindof guy Lou would pick

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I'm really starting to get excited about Barzal. Since his injury I've only seen rave reviews about how he is coming back into form and really showing his potential.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I'm really starting to get excited about Barzal. Since his injury I've only seen rave reviews about how he is coming back into form and really showing his potential.

I just worry about him scoring goals. But to be fair i have read far more stuff about Rantenan, Zacha, and Crouse then Barzel.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Which i can see. I can see the Flyers taking Provorov and Columbus wanting him and wanting to hop over the Flyers. Maybe even San Jose looks at it as well.

Or perhaps San Jose wants Crouse badly. I think the odds are pretty good that say San Jose trades us for 6 and takes Crouse i can see the next 2 players being the DMan leaving us with an extra pick and one of Barzal Zacha or Rantenan.

Interesting. I thought Philly would really want Crouse as he fits their needs pretty well (physical potential top-line LW). They also have some great defensive prospects in Travis Sanheim, Samuel Morin, and Shawn Gostisbehere (however you pronounce his name). I could see them opting for Crouse moreso than a defenseman. Can never have too many defensive prospects though.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Draft Zacha, let him be Elias's roomie. He can play in the NHL now, and in 5 years he'll be better than Strome. :nod:

It would be great for him to have a mentor like Elias. While I think Zacha still needs another year in the OHL, I do agree that he has the potential to be better than Strome or even Marner.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
man. i'm reading tim murrays quotes about how he's disappointed in the draft and basically is disappointed in losing and getting the consolation prize in eichel, and i'm really pissed. i hope eichel doesn't report and re-enters draft bc if i were him, i wouldn't want to join a team of tankers whose gm doesn't even give you any respect. i hope they're cursed for a long time.

unless they trade the #2 to us for like both our 2nds this year, our #6 pick, next years 1st, and severson (which i think would be reasonable). then i wish them the best

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Neat. He definitely sounds like a player Lou and the Devils would draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Wanted to chime in as a Sharks fan. While I would not be surprised if Sharks exchange 1st round picks with the Devils, it would be really surprising if we pick Crouse. The players we would (or should) be trying for is one of Provorov or Werenski (assuming Hanifin is already gone).

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The Hockey Writers on Brarzal:

Five Reasons Why Mathew Barzal Will Be the First Player Chosen from the WHL in the 2015 NHL Draft:

Student of the Game: You could rename him Mr. Video Review as Mathew spends countless hours looking at the nuances to his game and seeking ways to make it better. He has a need to know and a need to grow.

Willingness to Get Better: Sidney Crosby did not always have a top-notch shot, he worked on it; Sidney Crosby was not always good in the face-off circle; he worked on it. Like Sidney Crosby, Mathew has shown the willingness to get better and to do the things necessary to help himself improve.

Speed: He’s got it, the speed you need from a star player – top end, the gears, the after-burner, the change in speeds and directions, the edges.

Difference Maker: To be a top player, you need to want to be a difference maker, you need to have the ability to make that want come true. Mathew has it, just watch a few of his third period performances and see if you don’t agree.

Willingness to Do the Dirty: Mathew has shown an increasing willingness to play in the dirty areas, to finish his checks, to be hard to play against, to play hard in all areas of the ice, to excel at puck protection. He is not completely there yet but well on the way.
Offense

Vision – Has that Sam Reinhart type of vision where he can slow the play down in his head and speed it up on the ice when he reads the play. Elite vision.

Hockey IQ – Has an encyclopedic knowledge of the game and has the instinct to use that knowledge to change the play to what is likely to work best.

Skating – Simply, he can do it all and, yes, he is an elite skater, at the top or close to it for the 2015 draft class.

Passing – Passing is his bread and butter; his passing skills make the whole team better.

Stickhandling – Combine his stickhandling with soft hands and elite vision and you can start to see why Mathew Barzal has an excellent chance of becoming something special in the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad