Prospect Info: The 2015 Draft Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Finishing with the #3 pick would kind of annoy me more than finishing with the #10 pick tbh. It's like finishing fourth at the Olympics.

Not me, we'd be able to control our destiny at that point, not sit and hope something decent falls to us.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Really depends who we can move at the deadline. At the minimum, Jagr and Zidlicky need to be shipped out.

Without those two guys alone, really what are we looking at? A truly awful team that's what. The problem as I see it is the foursome of Edmonton/Carolina/Buffalo/Arizona are so epically awful that's it's really uphill. But like you said, early days.

I think 4th is an absolute best case scenario short of winning the lottery.
Ya pretty much agree. I guess I could see Canes going on run, and they too still have a couple games at hand, but hoping both those crappy squads jump us is a bit of wishful thinking.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
And then Pittsburgh, Toronto and Florida after that. We'll be lucky to win one of these next 7 games.

I think we can beat Team Turmoil and maybe the Pens but that's just because we just beat them. I have zero confidence in winning any game that's not agsinst the Oilers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Our next 4 opponents are the Islanders, Kings, Ducks, and Sharks. That could very easily be a 4 game losing streak.

Ya but odds are we get 3 points out of it. Even if you pretend the forwards aren't playing better overall. Cory and kinky alone will see us get points.

You can try and will us into the bottom 3 all you want but the fact is we just aren't bad enough to land there. And the teams around us aren't good enough to put us there.

Add on the fact it doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is the lotto. If we lose that we are looking at a lot of very good players that are also very similar potential wise. The difference between 4-6 or 7 isn't going to be anything earth shattering.

1 and 2 are the only giant differences in the early draft.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Ya but odds are we get 3 points out of it. Even if you pretend the forwards aren't playing better overall. Cory and kinky alone will see us get points.

You can try and will us into the bottom 3 all you want but the fact is we just aren't bad enough to land there. And the teams around us aren't good enough to put us there.

Add on the fact it doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is the lotto. If we lose that we are looking at a lot of very good players that are also very similar potential wise. The difference between 4-6 or 7 isn't going to be anything earth shattering.

1 and 2 are the only giant differences in the early draft.

Hahahaha!!! WILL us into it?

You're expecting to tie and win one each of those games ? Zero points are more realistic than 3 on that road trip.

We're bad enough to finish bottom 3, just not 1 or 2.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And then Pittsburgh, Toronto and Florida after that. We'll be lucky to win one of these next 7 games.

We could win all three of those. We just beat Pitt. Toronto is in a freefall and Flordia while good is still beatable.

There is serious overrating of other teams and under rating of this one. We aren't picking third. It's just not going to happen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hahahaha!!! WILL us into it?

You're expecting to tie and win one each of those games ? Zero points are more realistic than 3 on that road trip.

We're bad enough to finish bottom 3, just not 1 or 2.

Yes. We win tomorrow night at home. And get an OTL in Cali.

It's honestly a very realistic scenario.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
We could win all three of those. We just beat Pitt. Toronto is in a freefall and Flordia while good is still beatable.

There is serious overrating of other teams and under rating of this one. We aren't picking third. It's just not going to happen.

Dude, we blow. Nobody is underrating us. We just got absolutely railroaded by the worst Bruins team in years. Were not beating Pittsburgh again. They had more injuries than we did the last time the two teams played. Florida is actually pretty good this year and has the young talent to skate circles around us and as bad as Toronto has been, they still can light us up with their offense. Were going to get worse as the season go's on, after guys are hopefully traded and other guys check out and start making vacation plans.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We're not a good team, but I'm not sure we'll finish in the bottom 3. The story of the last couple years is win one, lose 2-3 in a row, pick up a loser point here and there. Not bad enough to be a bottom 3 team, but not good enough to make the playoffs. I don't think that's going to change much, barring really key players going down anyway.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
Tonight was a prime example of the current state of our team. That was brutal to watch. We are one step behind on everything. Way too slow and cannot generate any offense consistently. Theres no way this team is going to finish better than Bottom 5

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Yes. We win tomorrow night at home. And get an OTL in Cali.

It's honestly a very realistic scenario.

You said at least 3 points...possible? Sure.

It's much more likely we get beat by 4 superior teams, especially 3 WC teams on the road.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Dude, we blow. Nobody is underrating us. We just got absolutely railroaded by the worst Bruins team in years. Were not beating Pittsburgh again. They had more injuries than we did the last time the two teams played. Florida is actually pretty good this year and has the young talent to skate circles around us and as bad as Toronto has been, they still can light us up with their offense. Were going to get worse as the season go's on, after guys are hopefully traded and other guys check out and start making vacation plans.

Most honest, concise appraisal of the team. Think about how bad they were tonight...now subtract more veteran pieces.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Most honest, concise appraisal of the team. Think about how bad they were tonight...now subtract more veteran pieces.

They're also missing a top pair dman in Severson and Harrold (who is somewhat capable). I don't think it can be overstated how awful Helgeson and especially Fraser are

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
They're also missing a top pair dman in Severson and Harrold (who is somewhat capable). I don't think it can be overstated how awful Helgeson and especially Fraser are

Harrold's not going to make a difference. Severson would change the dynamics somewhat but we still can't put the puck in the net.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
boy it would be nice to pick up a late first at the deadline. im not gonna pretend to be an expert on prospects but imagine picking up marner (from what i keep hearing everyone say) and grabbing someone like tommy novak (who i am familiar with actually) in the mid-late 20's?

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Harrold's not going to make a difference. Severson would change the dynamics somewhat but we still can't put the puck in the net.

No, I know, the team is still very bad. Severson definitely makes a positive impact and like I said Harrold can take a regular shift and not get killed. When you only have Greene-Larsson as your only competent pair, you're going to get killed against good teams. Seriously, they made Merrill play his off side with Helgeson (who sucks), so that pair is no good. Fraser is an ECHL caliber guy; poor Zidlicky had no chance, though I thought he made some very good offensive plays, hopefully scouts were watching

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
No, I know, the team is still very bad. Severson definitely makes a positive impact and like I said Harrold can take a regular shift and not get killed. When you only have Greene-Larsson as your only competent pair, you're going to get killed against good teams. Seriously, they made Merrill play his off side with Helgeson (who sucks), so that pair is no good. Fraser is an ECHL caliber guy; poor Zidlicky had no chance, though I thought he made some very good offensive plays, hopefully scouts were watching

Okay, gotcha.

I hope they saw Zids and I hope they saw Jagr's hat trick agsinst Philly.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
boy it would be nice to pick up a late first at the deadline. im not gonna pretend to be an expert on prospects but imagine picking up marner (from what i keep hearing everyone say) and grabbing someone like tommy novak (who i am familiar with actually) in the mid-late 20's?

I think it would take some maneuvering, like getting 2nds included in deals for Jagr/Zids and then using those picks to move up from our own 2nd round pick, basically trading 3 seconds to move up 7-10 places. I don't know if we can get a first outright.

No disrespect to Novak, I just don't know much about him. The kid I'd like to pick up late first if we have the opportunity is Korostelev...big scoring winger to go with our (hopefully) first pick center.

Last edited:

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
We're trending to finish the season at 70 points. Only teams currently trending worse are, no surprise, Buffalo and Edmonton. If we decide, as we should, at some point o move Zids and Jagr or anyone else, we're not going to improve. We're more or less a lock for top 5 and possibly top 3. Who knows, maybe we get a luck bounce and win the lottery :sarcasm:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
More then likely if you want a top 3 finish we need to finish with the 2nd overall pick. Someone from higher will win the draft lottery and bump us down.

I dont see us finishing with the 1st or 2nd overall pick, things change if Lou guts the team and we are starting Boucher - Zajac - Whitney as our number 1 line.

We will still get a good prospect. It would be nice to get a McDavid or Eichel but the other prizes are helpful as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad