Prospect Info: The 2014 Draft Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I just watched an interview with Brendan Lemieux. he is the spitting image of me aged 17-18. wow haha

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Why do you think Josh Ho-Sang will be the BPA at the time? No doubt Lou takes BPA though ( I just hope it isn't a goalie).

Button has him at 39, THN 27, ISS, 18, hockeyprospect.com 61, McKeen's 33, and NHL CS 22 NAS.

Kempe is 28 on McKenzie, but Craig Button has him as a 10.
Barbashev is 23 on Mckenzie's list, but Craig Button has him at 14.

I don't watch these players play, but I like Craig buttons opinion in the past.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=38615 (Larsson draft)

Was assuming Kempe would have been taken at this point. Obviously if someone else is a steal Lou would go for them instead.

Then again Kempe is a power forward and you never know how they will turn out. We already have one in Motteau would Lou draft another one?

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kempe would be such an awesome get, but I feel like I'm getting my hopes up for a guy who'll be picked in the top 25.

Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net. (August 2013)

A good skater with good size really makes it hard to believe that he'll last until 30.

Sounds like Ruutu

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Still want Bleackley, tough 2-way center who can play middle6. Perfect Devils player and adds to our C depth.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
My only issue with Bleackley is that, at least at #30, I'd rather see someone taken who has a little less questions about offense. He's unquestionably a "Devils" kind of player, but right now the team needs scoring more than that.

What I like most about the Devils is how, if you're gonna succeed, you have to BECOME a "Devils" player. Pretty much everyone that comes through the system learns to play the right way (if they stick with the team, at least), so I'd rather have prospects with more raw skill and then work on rounding them out. Skill is what our system is missing most.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
My only issue with Bleackley is that, at least at #30, I'd rather see someone taken who has a little less questions about offense. He's unquestionably a "Devils" kind of player, but right now the team needs scoring more than that.

What I like most about the Devils is how, if you're gonna succeed, you have to BECOME a "Devils" player. Pretty much everyone that comes through the system learns to play the right way (if they stick with the team, at least), so I'd rather have prospects with more raw skill and then work on rounding them out. Skill is what our system is missing most.

Yes, Skill & speed is lacking.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Found this quote amusing for certain posters still complaining about old drafts.

It’s the only job where you can be right 15 percent of the time and be ruled a Hall of Famer for success. You are going to be wrong 85 or 80 percent of the time, and if you hit on 2.5 home runs every Draft, you are par with some of the best scouts ever. -- Mike Futa, director of amateur scouting for the LA Kings

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Found this quote amusing for certain posters still complaining about old drafts.

Good find, and it further validates that Conte heads a bottom feeding scouting staff.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007066.html

2001: 11 picks/11 strikeouts

2002: 11 picks/11 strikeouts (unless you want to count Cam as a single?)

2003: 7 picks/6 strikeouts, 1 home run (Parise)

2004: 7 picks/ 6 strikeouts, 1 good pick (Zajac)

2005: 7 picks/4 whiffs, 1 good find (Fayne), 2 more NHL players (Bergfors, Fraser) Don't care that we flipped Bergfors for Kovy, it was not a great pick, Oshie picked next.

2006: 8 picks/7 strikeouts, 1 untimely passing (Vasyunov).

2007: 6 picks/5 whiffs, top one caught looking bust (Hoeffel), one decent find in Halischuk

2008: 9 picks/1 big bust (Teddy), 1 home run (Henrique), the rest whiffs (with small chance Burlon becomes useful).

It's too early and unfair to judge his drafts from 2009-on at this point.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Good find, and it further validates that Conte heads a bottom feeding scouting staff.

.....I was thinking it brought more leeway. You're still cherry picking a lot of names which doesn't prove anything and seem overly upset about somebody like Hoeffel who was a late 2nd rounder in a shallow draft.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007066.html

2001: 11 picks/11 strikeouts

2002: 11 picks/11 strikeouts (unless you want to count Cam as a single?)

2003: 7 picks/6 strikeouts, 1 home run (Parise)

2004: 7 picks/ 6 strikeouts, 1 good pick (Zajac)

2005: 7 picks/4 whiffs, 1 good find (Fayne), 2 more NHL players (Bergfors, Fraser) Don't care that we flipped Bergfors for Kovy, it was not a great pick, Oshie picked next.

2006: 8 picks/7 strikeouts, 1 untimely passing (Vasyunov).

2007: 6 picks/5 whiffs, top one caught looking bust (Hoeffel), one decent find in Halischuk

2008: 9 picks/1 big bust (Teddy), 1 home run (Henrique), the rest whiffs (with small chance Burlon becomes useful).

It's too early and unfair to judge his drafts from 2009-on at this point.

I wonder where we were picking in those early 2000s It seems as if we didn't have any high picks or something....

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
.....I was thinking it brought more leeway. You're still cherry picking a lot of names which doesn't prove anything and seem overly upset about somebody like Hoeffel who was a late 2nd rounder in a shallow draft.

I'm not cherry picking, but providing data to back up my claims.

I don't expect a home run at 57, but, I remember a lot of us at the time saying that Hoeffel was a poor choice.

I also recall Jonathan the Rags fan called Hoeffel a non-NHLer the day of that draft, and he was 100% right.

The guy has limited to subpar skills, just a fast skater.
It's not hard to notice Wayne Simmonds picked 4 slots later.

I could even dig deeper and uncover more Conte first round gaffes such as:
2006: Corrente
2001: Foster
1999: Ahonen
1997: Damphousse

How about our top pick in 2002 @51, Kadeykin, out of hockey within 2 years of being drafted.

Us fans like to moan during games, we want the Devils to ice a better product and to win.
The crux of the 3 out of 4 years issue is our poor drafting records.
Conte must be held accountable.

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

I don't expect a home run at 57, but, I remember a lot of us at the time saying that Hoeffel was a poor choice.

I also recall Jonathan the Rags fan called Hoeffel a non-NHLer the day of that draft.

How about our top pick in 2002 @51, Kadeykin, out of hockey within 2 years of being drafted.

Us fans like to moan during games, we want the Devils to ice a better product and to win.
The crux of the 3 out of 4 years issue is our poor drafting records.
Conte must be held accountable.

Or the fact that they lost two of their best players in two consecutive years. They would have made the playoffs in 10-11 if it wasn't for Maclean.

Kings:
2007: Hickey at 4th overall
2010: Forbort at 15th overall
2011: Gibson at 49th overall

A team whiffing on picks? impossible.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Or the fact that they lost two of their best players in two consecutive years. They would have made the playoffs in 10-11 if it wasn't for Maclean.

Part of the equation, but we have no depth to replace them nor when injuries strike at forward.
Bobby Butler, Matt Anderson, Kostopolous and Dagostini ain't going to cut it at RW.

You would think he would have found some top end talent even by accident in rounds 2-4 more than just 2 or 3 times through all of those drafts.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Part of the equation, but we have no depth to replace them nor when injuries strike at forward.

You would think he would have found some top end talent even by accident in rounds 2-4 more than just 2 or 3 times through all of those drafts.

You should look at other team's draft history. Most picks never play 100 games in the NHL.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah, those grand total of zero games Jonathan had seen Hoeffel play at the time really qualified him to reach a judgement on the pick.

This just keeps getting better...

Hoeffel, Rodwell, what's the difference.
Guys with little to no upside at the time they were picked.

More important were the early round whiffs.

I'm hoping Conte reinvented himself starting with the 2009 draft.
I am hopeful that many of our picks will be gems in the rough.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Let's be honest, the vast majority of posters have never seen these prospects play besides reading an article and maybe watching a highlight reel goal. And even if they did happen to catch a full game or two, they still wouldn't know how to properly evaluate a player.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Kings:
2007: Hickey at 4th overall
2010: Forbort at 15th overall
2011: Gibson at 49th overall

A team whiffing on picks? impossible.

I wish the Kings had taken Frazee instead of Quick, but we beat them too it.

All teams have whiffs, Conte just made too many of them over a long stretch.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I also recall Jonathan the Rags fan called Hoeffel a non-NHLer the day of that draft.

....yeah. That's cherry picking. I think I've explained the background on Simmonds several times, but I suppose it's not worth the effort to do so again.

You make it seem like your efforts require more than five minutes on hockeydb.

I wasn't a fan of the Corrente pick either, but it's not like the 2nd round of 2006 was full of difference making NHLers. Jeff Petry would have been nice, but not exactly somebody most of us would lose sleep over. Milan Lucic was a tremendous projection pick by the Bruins; Lucic only put up 19 points in 62 WHL games that year. Again, not like the Devils were the only team that missed out.

The Foster pick was a huge whiff, but the Devils were hardly alone in the 2001 Draft in that regard. The way you talk, you make it seem like the Devils are the only team to have never missed on a late first round pick ever.

Of the 30 some odd picks taken after Ahonen, the only guy who could even claim to have an above average NHL career is Jordan Leopold.

Of the 30 some odd picks after Damphousse, the three best guys were Brenden Morrow (would have been nice), Kristian Huselius (readily available on waivers before he became productive), and the immortal Henrik Tallinder.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Hoeffel, Rodwell, what's the difference.
Guys with little to no upside at the time they were picked.

More important were the early round whiffs.

I'm hoping Conte reinvented himself starting with the 2009 draft.
I am hopeful that many of our picks will be gems in the rough.

I don't know - nor do I care - if Jonathan actually said that about Hoeffel. Point is that if he did it was a complete guess based on absolutely nothing more than hating on a Devils draft pick since he had never ever seen the guy play.

Saying you don't want a certain player in this draft when you've never seen them play outside of some grainy YouTube videos is laughable at best. It's one of the worst parts about HF. Having to hear all the draft experts rip players they've actually never seen.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
How foolish the LAK were to draft Bernier AND Lewis before the Flyers got Giroux at 22. Pitt drafting Staal before Backstrom and Toews!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad