Prospect Info: The 2014 Draft Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I'd bet a small chunk of money ho sang will not be available to us @30

I dunno, he's a smaller player and the trend for the NHL lately has been to draft bigger players.

He might just be available if all the other teams think he could be a liability for the team.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Ho-Sang at 30 would be nice. and Hawryluk/Kamanev at 41

EDIT: Brayden Point #17 on Button and #58 on McKenzie. interesting

McKenzie specifically mentioned on twitter that Point could be the wild card kid who goes top 20 if a team really likes him. He mentioned this year's rankings were particularly difficult to make due to a lack of consensus among everyone out of the top-20.

Anyway, what's the deal with Hawryluk? It's weird to me to see a non-overager-type put up better than PPG in the CHL and get ranked below other kids with less points. I gotta go back and read what Pronman and Button said about him.

In terms of Bob's rankings, there's a LOT of guys around the 30-41 range that I'd love to see Lou pick up. That makes me feel a little better, but like Bob said, there's very little consensus, so who knows how it'll all play out in the end.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I dunno, he's a smaller player and the trend for the NHL lately has been to draft bigger players.

He might just be available if all the other teams think he could be a liability for the team.

I hope you're right for our sake...lord knows Lou isn't afraid to take a chance on a small forward. but I think his skill set (from what I've read) makes him hard to pass up for teams drafting 20-29th.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
McKenzie specifically mentioned on twitter that Point could be the wild card kid who goes top 20 if a team really likes him. He mentioned this year's rankings were particularly difficult to make due to a lack of consensus among everyone out of the top-20.

Anyway, what's the deal with Hawryluk? It's weird to me to see a non-overager-type put up better than PPG in the CHL and get ranked below other kids with less points. I gotta go back and read what Pronman and Button said about him.

In terms of Bob's rankings, there's a LOT of guys around the 30-41 range that I'd love to see Lou pick up. That makes me feel a little better, but like Bob said, there's very little consensus, so who knows how it'll all play out in the end.

I read alot about Hawryluk and everything about him sounded like a Lou type player. so I borrowed a friends Hockeystreams account and watched a bunch of his games. he really plays alot like Zajac, with maybe slightly worse defense and slightly better not-hitting-the-post

as for being ranked outside the first round, could be the surgery he had in March, could be that hes a little undersized. I considered him a late first rounder so if we got him at 41 ill be real happy

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I hope you're right for our sake...lord knows Lou isn't afraid to take a chance on a small forward. but I think his skill set (from what I've read) makes him hard to pass up for teams drafting 20-29th.

I might be biased on Ho-sang cause he has some Chinese Heritage in him. When was the last time anyone with Chinese blood was drafted in the 1st round?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I read alot about Hawryluk and everything about him sounded like a Lou type player. so I borrowed a friends Hockeystreams account and watched a bunch of his games. he really plays alot like Zajac, with maybe slightly worse defense and slightly better not-hitting-the-post

as for being ranked outside the first round, could be the surgery he had in March, could be that hes a little undersized. I considered him a late first rounder so if we got him at 41 ill be real happy

Here's some chunks from Pronman's Hawryluk blurb:
"He can make plays in open ice, but is more impressive as a passer. Hawryluk's intangibles are more of a standout quality than his skills: He has a great work ethic, and is a strong, physical player."

"He protects the puck well, pressures defensemen well, and comes back hard on the back check," said one scout."

"It's unclear whether he has enough offensive skill to be a pro scorer"

It's just weird to me to see a kid put up the points he has and be labeled as someone who might not be an effective offensive guy in the NHL. Maybe that has to do with teammate/team effects. But I'd absolutely love to take this kid if he's around at 41, and I wouldn't be upset at 30.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Here's some chunks from Pronman's Hawryluk blurb:
"He can make plays in open ice, but is more impressive as a passer. Hawryluk's intangibles are more of a standout quality than his skills: He has a great work ethic, and is a strong, physical player."

"He protects the puck well, pressures defensemen well, and comes back hard on the back check," said one scout."

"It's unclear whether he has enough offensive skill to be a pro scorer"

It's just weird to me to see a kid put up the points he has and be labeled as someone who might not be an effective offensive guy in the NHL. Maybe that has to do with teammate/team effects. But I'd absolutely love to take this kid if he's around at 41, and I wouldn't be upset at 30.

yeah its strange. he definitely has offensive instinct, even if more of a playmaker than a scorer. I think hes a guy we would be looking at closely imo

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I might be biased on Ho-sang cause he has some Chinese Heritage in him. When was the last time anyone with Chinese blood was drafted in the 1st round?

I also think a team like Pittsburgh will take him earlier than 30.
His skills are too good for 29 teams to pass on him.

He is suspended for the first 15 games next season, not that it makes a difference on his draft positioning.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

no idea...but trying to google it, I came across Larry Kwong....very interesting player-pioneer, and still kicking at age 91.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I also think a team like Pittsburgh will take him earlier than 30.
His skills are too good for 29 teams to pass on him.

He is suspended for the first 15 games next season, not that it makes a difference on his draft positioning.

It wouldn't be the first time a ridiculously skilled player had a meteoric drop for reasons completely unrelated to hockey. I've read way too many things about how he's "not a team player" and "doesn't have the right attitude" and all that. I think Ho-sang's biggest issue is that the "off-ice" issues seem to manifest on the ice. He's a "do it all myself" kinda guy who seems like he doesn't have great control over his emotions. It doesn't help that he's small, too. Shinkaruk plummeted despite being known for a fantastic attitude and work ethic.

If he's on the board at 30, I hope we take him. But I won't be too surprised if he slips into the second round.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Ho-Sang sounds very Yak-y

The Ho-Sang hate is beyond the usual "doesn't play the game the right way, yet" sorta stuff. He's been questioned on everything from his anger, his conditioning, his "will to win," his responsibility, his commitment to his team and teammtes...who knows how much of this stuff is even rooted in reality, but the fact that it's out there at all means someone's listening to it.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
The Ho-Sang hate is beyond the usual "doesn't play the game the right way, yet" sorta stuff. He's been questioned on everything from his anger, his conditioning, his "will to win," his responsibility, his commitment to his team and teammtes...who knows how much of this stuff is even rooted in reality, but the fact that it's out there at all means someone's listening to it.

question is, does it scare Lou off, or do we reign him in.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Lou always takes the best available player. If Ho-sang drops in our laps I very much doubt Lou will pass on him unless he knows something we don't.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Lou always takes the best available player. If Ho-sang drops in our laps I very much doubt Lou will pass on him unless he knows something we don't.

Why do you think Josh Ho-Sang will be the BPA at the time? No doubt Lou takes BPA though ( I just hope it isn't a goalie).

Button has him at 39, THN 27, ISS, 18, hockeyprospect.com 61, McKeen's 33, and NHL CS 22 NAS.

Kempe is 28 on McKenzie, but Craig Button has him as a 10.
Barbashev is 23 on Mckenzie's list, but Craig Button has him at 14.

I don't watch these players play, but I like Craig buttons opinion in the past.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=38615 (Larsson draft)

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Kempe would be such an awesome get, but I feel like I'm getting my hopes up for a guy who'll be picked in the top 25.

Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net. (August 2013)

A good skater with good size really makes it hard to believe that he'll last until 30.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Kempe would be such an awesome get, but I feel like I'm getting my hopes up for a guy who'll be picked in the top 25.

Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net. (August 2013)

A good skater with good size really makes it hard to believe that he'll last until 30.

Yea I am getting my hopes up, but that seems like the perfect fit for Zajac and Jagr or any line with Pete has HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad